Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Cleaning? Mattress Powder

• 03-09-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi.

Firstly, I was looking for a section about Home care or cleaning, where to get tips and ask for advise etc but only wound up here, if this can be moved to a more appropriate section could some moderator help me out here? Thanks.

Secondly, I've just moved into an apartment and I wish to freshen it up a little, everything is fine but I'm wondering about cleaning the mattress.
    I heard somewhere that there's a Powder you can use to dry out/ clean mattress.
    Would anyone know about this procedure or be able to recommend a brand of powder... yes I'm a guy and otherwise useless in such domestic manners. :o

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This person uses baking soda with a bit of lavendar oil for scent. It'll only freshen it up rather than actually clean. I've never tried it so can't comment on its effectiveness.
    A steam clean might kill dust mites near the surface.

If the bed is not new and was used by previous tenants I'd give the mattress and base a close inspection for bed bugs. You'll need to check every seam and crevice as they're prime hiding places.

You'll never really clean a mattress, and you'll certainly never clean the inners. The best you'll ever do is clean up the outer fabric. That's why personally I'd prefer to get a new mattress if possible.

PS make sure it's baking soda (pure sodium bicarbonate), not baking powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lucid Lock

Thanks a million!

Yeah I was considering getting a new mattress alright, i flipped it there's a bet in groove all along the right... ew.

thanks again.

Advertisement