Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice

• 03-09-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Am doing Economics Sociology Geography and History.

Can anyone tell me what the subjects are like in first year and if they are a good combination?

Are they heavy going in first year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

History's good. There's a rigid subject level in that you don't get to choose multiple modules like second year. But the first year modules are a great introduction to the topic. You'll study Irish history and origins of European history. In second semester, you've a nice choice between the crusades, US foreign policy, Age of Extremes (the world wars) and racism & anti-Semitism. The department is great, lecturers are top class and all in all, it's a great thing to study.

Sociology. I can't really say much due to conflicting opinions from here but it seems to be ok-to-hard in terms of level of understanding. That said, a lot of people pick it as a filler and doss subject and are stunned by it. It seems OK to others.

Of course. Work load will be heavy but nothing compared to second and third year and on and on.

Not sure on Geography. But be nice to the department secretaries, I hear they can be tough. Same goes for Charlotte in the history department. She's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Superb thanks for the feedback.

My thinking was to combine Economics and Geography in 2 and 3rd year.

History and Economics would be a point a pointless degree would it?

whatislife wrote: »

History and Economics would be a point a pointless degree would it?

I wouldn't really know to be honest. Depends on where or how you want to progress. Try not to worry too much about it. Focus on getting in and settled down before making choices that are ahead of first time lectures/exams/assignments.

Secondly, you might not like, say, Geography so that will influence your choices for the rest of your degree. Give it time, let yourself settle into the subjects.

Don't forget that in second year you've got a very broad choice of modules in most of your subjects. While there's a 'fixed' set up in 1st year, in 2nd and 3rd you've got a greater variety and more freedom to choose. Again, that's getting ahead of yourself.

Someone with a His/Ec degree might be able to better advise but I haven't heard of many of them.

I wouldn't really know to be honest. Depends on where or how you want to progress. Try not to worry too much about it. Focus on getting in and settled down before making choices that are ahead of first time lectures/exams/assignments.

Secondly, you might not like, say, Geography so that will influence your choices for the rest of your degree. Give it time, let yourself settle into the subjects.

Don't forget that in second year you've got a very broad choice of modules in most of your subjects. While there's a 'fixed' set up in 1st year, in 2nd and 3rd you've got a greater variety and more freedom to choose. Again, that's getting ahead of yourself.

Someone with a His/Ec degree might be able to better advise but I haven't heard of many of them.
    Thanks so much again.

The only reason I ask so many questions about the future etc is my dad is always telling me to map out a career but I don't even know what I want to do!

Cheers again

Thanks so much again.

No problem, shoot if you've any questions.
    The only reason I ask so many questions about the future etc is my dad is always telling me to map out a career but I don't even know what I want to do!

Well, certainly think about it but don't obsess over it to the state of it affecting you.
    Cheers again

No worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Thanks so much again.

Cheers again

every parent does that! it shows they care, but try not focus on it too much or you might pick sometihng you regret doing

disclaimer: this is my opinion not fact :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Sociology. I can't really say much due to conflicting opinions from here but it seems to be ok-to-hard in terms of level of understanding. That said, a lot of people pick it as a filler and doss subject and are stunned by it. It seems OK to others.

As I just completed SC1001, I can confirm, it's alright :pac: The lecturers are brilliant and the Sociology dept are some of the best people I've come across on campus. You don't need to go to class to understand it, but it's highly advisable that you do, as some lecturers dont put the stuff up on Blackboard. Also, for the assignments, it's easier for yere own sake to go to class.

After I'd studied and actually learnt stuff, I found it quite pleasant and a lovely module. The stuff isnt actually hard, you just gotta do the work, and if you don't, like I didn't, you'll struggle. But it's quite an easy pass. The end of year exam is a beaut and the lecturers are very helpful.

It's very do able, very manageable and a nice subject to pick in first year. I'm hoping to major in it next year so I do love it really :P Just go to class and work and you'll fly it! Good luck!

As I just completed SC1001, I can confirm, it's alright :pac: The lecturers are brilliant and the Sociology dept are some of the best people I've come across on campus. You don't need to go to class to understand it, but it's highly advisable that you do, as some lecturers dont put the stuff up on Blackboard. Also, for the assignments, it's easier for yere own sake to go to class.

After I'd studied and actually learnt stuff, I found it quite pleasant and a lovely module. The stuff isnt actually hard, you just gotta do the work, and if you don't, like I didn't, you'll struggle. But it's quite an easy pass. The end of year exam is a beaut and the lecturers are very helpful.

It's very do able, very manageable and a nice subject to pick in first year. I'm hoping to major in it next year so I do love it really :P Just go to class and work and you'll fly it! Good luck!
    Brilliant thanks!

I put history 4th on my choices, what are the chances that I'll get it does anyone know?

cheers

Part of me is thinking you're taking a risk. History was heavily subscribed to for some years but I'm not sure if that's tailed off or increased. It is hard to say though. I'd put it higher and drop sociology and economics down?

Part of me is thinking you're taking a risk. History was heavily subscribed to for some years but I'm not sure if that's tailed off or increased. It is hard to say though. I'd put it higher and drop sociology and economics down?
    I already finalised it, because it wouldn't let me register unless I filled it out :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed I get History otherwise I have European Studies at 5 and Philosophy at 6

• Advertisement

When will I know if I get History does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

any one know what computer science is like in arts???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Im in my last year of Economics and Geography joint degree... you'll love it ;)

Advertisement