Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best gaming news site?

• 03-09-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I was wondering what people think is the best source of gaming news and stuff. I searched for a thread like this but the thread was short and over 10 years old. I don't really have a proper news source, I sort of just hear things so I was looking for somewhere I can just check regularly or get an RSS feed of to give me the newest stories and tell me about interesting upcoming games.

The only thing I'm not keen on is sites that divide themselves up by console because I sort of just want to hear stuff for all systems.

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's not really one place to go. Kotaku seems to be quite up to date and for the japanese side of things there's siliconera and andriasang. I check eurogamer as well but they are usually slow with news. Rock, Paper, Shotgun is a good on as well for the PC side of things especially for indie games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

http://www.eurogamer.net/ is the one I use for gaming news. I probably just use boards more than any gaming site tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ktulu123 wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/ is the one I use for gaming news. I probably just use boards more than any gaming site tbh

Same, I get boarded to hunt down news for me, so I can be lazy prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

I use Joystiq. Kotaku just became unreadable garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hawke wrote: »
    I use Joystiq. Kotaku just became unreadable garbage.

Just? It's improved a hell of a lot since Brian Crecente left but took a big turn down a weird Japanese alley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Kotaku's fine, and has some interesting and quirky posts more often than not - I just have this radical notion of not reading the ones that don't specifically interest me(ie, the Japanese articles) - no fuss, no muss. Most of it's still decent.

I also read Rock, Paper Shotgun; it's pretty much PC focused & the contributors are writers for Eurogamer (and elsewhere, I believe). There's a good mix of actual news & decent editorials where they cast a mature & critical eye on the world of gaming. It can be quite witty at times too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kotaku still does the job with up to date news, although the editorial changes over the years have significantly diluted the site's identity IMO - almost tries to do too much, and the quality of journalism just isn't up to their attempts at more serious fodder. Still, there's little to match it in terms of efficiency and scope, and is still a helluva lot better than IGN and its ilk. Polygon (http://www.theverge.com/gaming) is looking like a real contender once it gets up to full speed.

Siliconera is indeed great for niche Japanese coverage, although that probably isn't for everyone. One of the few sites I bother checking frequently, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's also plenty of leaks on Neogaf, worth checking out if you have nothing better to do.

Kotaku might be full of plenty of fluff articles but I find most gaming sites mostly rip their news material from Kotaku, Gaf and siliconera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Still, there's little to match it in terms of efficiency and scope, and is still a helluva lot better than IGN and its ilk. Polygon (http://www.theverge.com/gaming) is looking like a real contender once it gets up to full speed.

Why is it that IGN gets so much flack? I do remember liking it way back when but honestly it was so long ago that I wouldn't trust my own opinion from that time :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I like IGN, but I think my opinion is coloured by the fact I was listening to podcasts with the editors long before I started reading the site. Find it good for news and reviews, some features and opinion articles can be a bit dull, but a very good all round site.

Destructoid is great as well, especially when Jim is being a sarcastic bastard in posts. :pac:

I rarely go to Gamasutra or Kotaku these days, but they do have the odd interesting interview or feature now and again. My main gripe with Kotaku is the layout, just don't like using the site at all.

Only other one I check fairly regularly is andriasang, which focuses on the Japanese side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I like Kotaku or RockPaperShotgun

Absolutely hate eurogamer and IGN

But like Ktulu123, I check boards more than any site, as any noteworthy news will be put up and discussed here :D

IGN was great for a while but it's been absolutely appalling for the last few years. I used it all the time a few years ago but wouldn't go anywhere near it now.

Time to break out the IGN image, silly but it makes me smile:

God_Hand_vs_Party_Babyz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭stan 117

i use this one
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    IGN was great for a while but it's been absolutely appalling for the last few years. I used it all the time a few years ago but wouldn't go anywhere near it now.

Time to break out the IGN image, silly but it makes me smile:

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/947/locker/God_Hand_vs_Party_Babyz.jpg

I don't get it... :confused:

Well if you've ever played Godhand you'd know it's one of the best games ever made.

Well if you've ever played Godhand you'd know it's one of the best games ever made.

Oh, OK then.

(I won't get into an argument about opinion, etc, since this really isn't the place or time).

Well it is silly but it's tradition to post it when IGN is mentioned :)

There's no denying though that the IGN godhand review is appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Google reader and a **** load of feeds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

C14N wrote: »
    Why is it that IGN gets so much flack? I do remember liking it way back when but honestly it was so long ago that I wouldn't trust my own opinion from that time :o

I just find their style to be bland and... lacking. I never trust them either - corporate influence is evident throughout their site, and I just can't tell what's going on behind the scenes (Gamespot are the same, and there's hard evidence there of corporate shenanigans). Mostly, I just don't like their writing style - lacking elegance, depth or a distinctive voice. I'm sure some of the journalists are decent, but as a whole the website just isn't for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Tbh my bes gaming news site is boards, I only find out whats happening via boards users and if I find something randomly I post here also.. I rarely visit IGN or Gamespot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

While I occasionally visit PC Gamer, I only really pay attention to RPS. If anything of note happens in PC-land then it will likely get a mention there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Hang on, while the review is ridiculous so is your claim it's one of the best games ever made. It's fun no doubt but it is a far cry from one of the best games ever made.

Kotaku is good if you look past the fluff and I personally use Eurogamer for reviews as I usually find myself agreeing with them more often than not, plus they are well written for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

I use GiantBomb most of the time.

Any new releases they post up a gameplay video of usually over half an hour of them playing through a section of the game while giving their opinion on the game in general. If it's sh*t they say it's sh*t.

I find it's a good way to figure out whether its a game I'm interested in playing or not.

Also listening to their podcast helps pass away the drive to and from work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm an RPS man these days since it's a good fit for me only covering PC gaming stuff generally. I just remembered an old favorite from years back, bluesnews, and I was happy to find it's still going. Back in the day it was the only place to go for gaming news. Ah the memories.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Hang on, while the review is ridiculous so is your claim it's one of the best games ever made. It's fun no doubt but it is a far cry from one of the best games ever made.

Well that's personal opinion and all, I find most people that are really into that kind of game would agree with me. I think we can agree it's definitely not a 3/10 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

civilnug wrote: »
    I use GiantBomb most of the time.

Any new releases they post up a gameplay video of usually over half an hour of them playing through a section of the game while giving their opinion on the game in general. If it's sh*t they say it's sh*t.

I find it's a good way to figure out whether its a game I'm interested in playing or not.

Also listening to their podcast helps pass away the drive to and from work.

Same with giant bomb. I like those first looks and mini reviews. Then I check total biscuit daily bit Q and A, which is almost always about new things. AMD as mentioned before I check boards.ie for most news.

Not found of Giantbomb, don't like their writing style and I feel the Gamestop thing gave Jeff Gerstmann far more credit as a writer than he ever deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Not a big fan of Giantbomb either although I haven't been on the site since it was fairly new. I remember having a friend who got me to watch some of the 30 minute playthroughs because he found them hilarious but I just didn't find them that funny. Also 30 minutes is just way too long, if I find that much time to spare in one go I'll spend it playing a game instead of watching one.

I think you might be right Retrogamer about the Gamestop thing. It was sort of like video game critic martyrdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Big fan of giantbomb regularly listen to the podcast and watch the quicklooks which imo give a much better impression of a game than a review especially if your on the fence about buying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I listen to the Giantbomb podcast and read the stuff posted here, I very rarely look at other sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Kotaku
    Rock paper Shotgun
    PC Gamer

Appy Gamer app for Android

boards.ie and reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Destructoid
    Giantbomb
    Rock Paper Shotgun
    Boards Threads :D

That's about it really. Kotaku used be up there, left after the redesign Apocalypse. Destructoid's the pack leader though. Podtoid, is just too good to pass up.

...and Johnathon Holme's brown ass is too good to pass up too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I always seem to check in on Kotaku daily. I have it set to remember my preference for the old blog style layout.

Other than that I read the Neogaf forum and boards.ie. The Bombcast is also an excellent show.

I tried the bombcast a while ago and gave it up. Really can't stand most of the guys on it, anything else I could get from other news websites. Then when they go on about something idiotic like Dark Souls having terrible controls for example, I had to stop for fear of ripping the MP3 player out of my car and throwing it out the window. However I can't think of any other up to date podcasts since I only really listen to WAHP, Retronauts and ATB, which are hardly up to date, especially retronauts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just giving this a bump to say that Andriasang is closing down, the guy who updates it has taken up a job elsewhere. Such a pity.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Just giving this a bump to say that Andriasang is closing down, the guy who updates it has taken up a job elsewhere. Such a pity.

Real shame. Only discovered it relatively recently, but it fast became one of my regular sites to view. Liked reading about the Japanese side which doesn't really get covered that well here...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spikey95

I do tend to visit Gamespot or CVG sometimes, but not every single day like some people. However, I enjoy "StumbleUpon" games-related articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I hate the standard Kotaku layout, so I always go to blog.kotaku.com

Advertisement