Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can my laptop screen be fixed?

• 03-09-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I dropped my laptop last week and the screen took a knock. After picking it up I tried to start it but could hardly make out what was on the screen, but there was stuff on the screen. I later connected to a tv and the laptop is working fine. Can this problem be fixed?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Neilinhio wrote: »
    I dropped my laptop last week and the screen took a knock. After picking it up I tried to start it but could hardly make out what was on the screen, but there was stuff on the screen. I later connected to a tv and the laptop is working fine. Can this problem be fixed?

Yep, you need to/or get someone to replace the LCD panel in it. You can get them on ebay cheap enough, not that hard to replace if you know your way around computer hardware. Plenty of guides on youtube etc.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

I had hoped to avoid that, as the screen/ panel seems undamaged it's like someone has turned down the brightness setting.

Glad to hear that it can be fixed relatively cheap, wouldn't be worth doing otherwise.

Thanks

I had hoped to avoid that, as the screen/ panel seems undamaged it's like someone has turned down the brightness setting.

Glad to hear that it can be fixed relatively cheap, wouldn't be worth doing otherwise.

Thanks

Is it like this or is it just the screen is dark and you can't see the text without looking close?
    If the latter it could be a simple case of the display cable to the panel/inverter (more likely) has come loose

Nick

No it's not like that picture. That sounds like something I could fix myself? Or would parts be required

No it's not like that picture. That sounds like something I could fix myself? Or would parts be required

Yeah you probably could. Find a service manual for your laptop online and see the part how to remove the lcd panel, this should cover inverter/data cable removal.
    Not saying this is the issue, the screen could be shot but its worth trying all the same. If you tell us the make of the laptop and model I may be able to help further

Nick

• Advertisement

Its a Sony vaio vgn fw48e

Its a Sony vaio vgn fw48e

Sony never seem to make service manuals available. Anyways from looking at pictures online I think the 6 bumpers on the display hide the screws. Use a flathead screwdriver to gently remove them, put them onto something safely as you'll be replacing them.
    Use a PH00 screwdriver (precision) to remove the 6 or so screws (usually laptops have 6, there may be more/less!) and use the flat head screw driver to gently pry off the plastic bezel. Becareful doing this as you don't want to break it.
    Now unscrew the LCD panel from the screen lid, and remove it, you should see the smaller inverter power board, remove the plugs connected to this and also the data cable connecting to the back of the LCD panel.
    Re-connect everything back up, along with all cables and then test the machine. If this didn't work the screen is probably dead.
    I know these instructions sound complicated, but Sony machines have such a vast range it's sometimes impossible to find instructions for your particular one. You just need to take your time and see how to do it on a model basis.
    Here is a general video summing up what I posted:

Nick

Thanks nick in gonna have a look in the morning, I'll let ya know how it goes thanks again

Advertisement