Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands that are great live

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

LindowMan wrote: »
    I think he has a villa in Italy.

He does.

My picks:

Tool
    Porcupine Tree
    Karnivool
    Metallica (best time i saw em was '99)
    Oceansize (RIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

My picks:

Karnivool

Have they ever played Dublin?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For me, though admittedly I don't get to see many gigs, would be Rammstein and Roger Waters' The Wall (dunno if you'd classify that as a gig or a show...)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Fugazi
    QOTSA
    Eagles of Death Metal
    FOO FIGHTERS!!!!

Nomeanso, although I haven't seen them perform personally, I have it on several friends accounts that they are amazing.Playing here soon, but can't afford it :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

Passenger wrote: »
    Have they ever played Dublin?

I don't think they have.

They are performing at the Download Festival at Castle Donington in Leicestershire on 15th June, though.

Here's a poster for this year's Download:

DownloadFestival2013header.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Bands that Ive seen live that exceeded my expectations :

Thin Lizzy (with Phil)
    AC/DC
    Rush (every time Ive seen them ... 4 and counting ... this year with be #5)
    Kiss
    Porcupine Tree
    Roger Waters
    David Gilmour
    The Soundtrack Of Our Lives
    Ramones

... Ive seen loads of other excellent gigs but those mentioned were just superb.

Have a feeling Steven Wilson would easily fit on that list ... just have to figure out a way of seeing him live .... the Oct UK tour is seriously tempting me .. need to get creative with the finances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Dir en grey (so much so I bought tickets to see them in Cologne and Paris this morning!). Slipknot have been great every time I've saw them. Same goes for Trivium, Lamb of God, Combichrist, Eisbrecher. All bands I'd recommend catching live if you get the chance.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

RayCon wrote: »

Have a feeling Steven Wilson would easily fit on that list ... just have to figure out a way of seeing him live .... the Oct UK tour is seriously tempting me .. need to get creative with the finances

He will, don't worry. Find some way of seeing him!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

He will, don't worry. Find some way of seeing him!

Just got tickets for Colston Hall , Bristol - 15th Oct :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Kasabian are a top live band, probably one of the best around now. As are Foo Fighters.

The Black Keys are a bit disappointing live though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another vote for Rush here - though what they put on is a highly-scripted show. For sheer power, though Dream Theater is quite something = seen them about 6 times, starting at the Marquee gig they later released. I was at both gigs at the Astoria in London back in 2002 (I think), on the second night they played the whole The Number Of The Beast album.

The most fun gig I remember was probably James at the Olympia back in 1999. Tim Booth was literally climbing the walls, all the way up to the balcony, and they always sound excellent too. I can highly recommend them.

I haven't seen Amanda Palmer live, but she's bringing the Grand Theft Orchestra to Dublin on 18 July. From what I've heard of her gigs, weird stuff tends to happen for no apparent reason. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

In no particular order: Machine Head, Metallica, Everclear, Killswitch Engage, Entombed, Dropkick Murphys and Lamb of God have all been excellent gigs, great energy live. One or two dodgy shows from Metallica but when they are tight are very good, love when they play Whiskey In The Jar at Irish gigs, the place goes mental! :) Dropkicks at Download were a nice surprise, they fuelled the drunkeness even more, "Irish dancing" pits all over the place! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Machine Head, Opeth, Mastodon (haven't seen them before they released CtS), Primordial, Cynic, Biffy Clyro, God Is An Astronaut, Rage Against The Machine.

Still raging that Mastodon & Gojira cancelled their show last year, was so excited to see Gojira live for the first time. They're meant to be crushing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Best I've seen live is probably Porcupine Tree, Rush, Roger Waters and Rammstein, hard to pick a winner form those 4.

Those 4 with Led Zeppelin:cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll add God is an Astronaut and Steve Wilson's solo band to that now :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Airbourne - One of the most energetic bands I've seen.

Heaven And Hell - Tighter than tight. Vinny Appice is a beast live.

Edguy and The Answer were awesome when I seen them.

Veil Of Maya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Heaven and Hell
    Cynic
    Bolt Thrower
    Morbid Angel
    Cannibal Corpse
    Pestilence
    Down
    Obituary
    Immortal
    Judas Priest

Just a few off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lolly125

korn ok , met fieldy he was a dick, ill nino class in the voodoo lounge and slipknot unreal!!

Lolly125 wrote: »
    korn ok , met fieldy he was a dick, ill nino class in the voodoo lounge and slipknot unreal!!

Did you only ever attend gigs in 2001? ;)

Did you only ever attend gigs in 2001? ;)

Haha hay dnt b dissing me im a mammy now so dont get to go to many gigs now :(

• Advertisement

Lolly125 wrote: »
    Haha hay dnt b dissing me im a mammy now so dont get to go to many gigs now :(

:D Think I seen all of those bands around that time too.

Speaking of great live bands actually I've been listening to Iced Earth's live videos a lot lately. Seen them in the Button Factory last year and they were immense. The latest singer, Stu Block is fantastic. :)

Speaking of great live bands actually I've been listening to Iced Earth's live videos a lot lately. Seen them in the Button Factory last year and they were immense. The latest singer, Stu Block is fantastic. :)

Those guys are scary as fock :D but the singer suits them well me thinks oh yea forgot machine head my god they wer de ****!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Faith no more
    Foo Fighters
    AC DC
    Metallica
    Django Django last year in the button factory were very good, €15 for that gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

maiden - 9 times , metallica - 4 , korn - 4, pearl jam seen twice, alice cooper once in vicar st a few years back,rammstein seen once in O2 dublin and ozzy osbourne (ozzfest o2 lonson only time i seen him with korn supporting them) all have had great live shows and foo fighters in marley park a few years back

Advertisement