Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what bullets do ye use in your 270 win?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

what bullets do ye use in your 270 win? just picked up mine last week and just wondering what do ye find the best ammo to use through them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I use the Federal Power Shok in a .25-06, wouldn't hesitate to use them in .270 and I expect they'd perform identically.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭beretta391

cheers for that how much a box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

The best thing to do is to test a few different makes. Every gun is different. You will have to match a round to your rifle.

Best thing to do is test a different ranges and what works best is your round.

beretta391 wrote: »
    cheers for that how much a box?

Give John Lambert down in Camolin a shout. I think they're about €30 a box but you'd get a deal on 100 and his pricing is very good. If you want something a bit more upmarket, try the Federal 130gr ballistic tips, the Nosler Partitions or the Norma soft points. What's the new rifle?

well i got 100gr soft points remington, dont think the gun likes them, its a tlkka t3 hunter 20inch barrel

• Advertisement

well i got 100gr soft points remington, dont think the gun likes them, its a tlkka t3 hunter 20inch barrel

Yeah, I'd stick with 130 and 150 grain bullets in a .270. Oof, 20" barrel. There is going to be some wicked bark off that! Hope you're using a moderator. I'd call John. If you're buying five boxes of different stuff to try he might cut you a deal, and that way the next time, you can just order 100 rounds of whatever you find works best in terms of accuracy and on-game performance. This year I'm planning to shoot both the 117gr Power Shok and the 117gr Hornady SST on deer and see how each kills and will stock up on whatever works best then.

ha ha 1st shot i didnt use a mod and my ear is still ringing, put on a t8 on it and its like a shotgun now, what mod do you use? its to loud.....

ha ha 1st shot i didnt use a mod and my ear is still ringing, put on a t8 on it and its like a shotgun now, what mod do you use? its to loud.....

I have a T8 for my .25, but I don't think I'll be using it this year. Hate the things. Ruin the handling of a rifle for me. Will be selling it whenever I rebarrel the rifle and not looking back! I'm not a big fan of short barrels either though, and with those, mods are damn near essential or they're sickening to shoot. The 22.5" barrel on my .25-06 is a little short for me, personally, especially in terms of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

what bullets do ye use in your 270 win? just picked up mine last week and just wondering what do ye find the best ammo to use through them

I use Hornady 130gr SST for deer and find it a brilliant round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Hi ya, I have a Tikka T3 Light Stainless in .270 Win which I bought off John Lambert, I put an Atec mod on the muzzle and can shoot all day without any excess noise, its the dogs you know what !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I'd also recommend John. He shoots a .270 himself, so will have plenty of advise. Best thing is to get a few boxes and try them out. Hornady SST would be a great start:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-130-gr-SST-Superformance/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Yeah, I'd stick with 130 and 150 grain bullets in a .270. ......

Good advice,
    from personally experience would favor the heavier bullets. Have settled on Sako 156gn Hammerheads last 5 or so seasons, all I've hit, so far, with these have dropped on the spot. absolutely deadly, very hard hitting, and most important for me, a lot less meat damage than any of the ballistic tip types used over the years.

That said, we all have our pet preferences, experiment with a few (130gn or more) and find what you like, confidence in your rifle /cartridge combination is 90% of the battle as most bullets on the market today will do the job if you do yours.

All the best with the new rifle

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement