Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does your company handle the removal of functionality from a software package

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭

At the moment I am reviewing the functionality of a software package we have.

My main goal is to reduce code volume and complexity to make future development easier.

I have identified a few bits that add greatly to the complexity of the code but don't impact the core functionality of the program.

However I'm having a tough time convincing management that feature reduction is the way to go.

Anyone have any experience with feature removal and how to handle it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

In my experience, you can only reduce features in "lite" versions of products, not eliminate them.

You won't get management to cut features, the features supported are a commercial thing. Do your job, support them. Refactor the code if you have to, but live with the shock, developing commercial software means getting things done and code complexity is your problem, not management's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maybe consider a "pluggable" design, data driven or Spring injectable.
    Allowing you to have a Core product but the ability to add extra items into it as necessary either at build time, installation time or runtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Why not look to have some time allocated for refactoring the bits of complex code you have identified as opposed to ripping them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 johnsmith13

If you are serious about removing functionality then you must prove its not used. but might think it doesn't impact the core functionality of the software but they maybe 1% of your customer base who does.

Management will never risk loosing customers, and frankly i believe when coding a software package the customer comes first.

You could add in code to see what is actually been used in the software by the customers and then, if these items you want to remove aren't been used, you will have the data to back it up to your management.

Advertisement