Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 questions

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I have UPC 100mb pack and have a few issues needless to say.

1st, should I send there crappy router back and pick one up myself?

2nd, I need the wireless signal to cover a bigger area, is this the type of yolk im after?

3rd, I need more than the 4 ports on the back for wired connection, am I after some sort of splitter or adapter?

Thanks in advance

Ps, I have the ability to run a cable from the router to another area if its possible to use a 2nd router for better signal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

MRTULES wrote: »
    1st, should I send there crappy router back and pick one up myself?
    What modem did you get? UPC's modems are a modem/router combo. It's possible to add a router, but it's not possible to replace the modem - UPC don't permit unauthorized cable modems on their network, they simply won't connect.
    You can add your own router, which may give you better wifi, additional functionality etc. Depending on what modem you have, the setup is slightly different - post back with what modem you got from UPC (Thomson or Cisco) and I can post a link to the tutorial.
    2nd, I need the wireless signal to cover a bigger area, is this the type of yolk im after?
    Yes. Or, you could just add a router as detailed in point 1, that might give you a further range.... if not, add an extender.
    3rd, I need more than the 4 ports on the back for wired connection, am I after some sort of splitter or adapter?
    Adding a router will give you more ports, but if you need even more, get a switch like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    I have the cisco router. I will need to extend the wifi further than I think a different router will allow.
    Would it be worth while asking them for the Thompson instead?

Thanks again

Advertisement