Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a device for logging training?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm hoping to start into some jogging soon. It'll be a couch to half-marathon effort, will start a log when I get started.

Anyway I'm big into my gadgets and like the idea of documenting progress with some good data. I've seen on some logs people using a Garmin watch with attachments, I've also seen some Nike+ devices, also some mobile apps (I have an android mobile, but might be bit big to put on arm).

What have people tried and recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

Cant beat a hardback notebook..
    Easy to scan down through running log, rate yourself out of ten on energy and sleep. Fits in a drawer??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/ is a good online one that many people use and is free. If your just starting then a stopwatch and http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ to see how far you went is the cheapest option with the fetcheveryone site. As for devices the garmin 10 which is out in the next 2/3 weeks looks like a good option http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056739216 for starting off.

cheapest way to go for you is to use android phone app (from free ones to paid ) but if it's too big for an arm strap then maybe consider a garmin or timex watch.

Garmin 210 a good option. It's not bulky and gps can be turned off to use as a normal watch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-210-Sportswatch-strap/dp/B00487BSIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346762300&sr=8-1

Advantage of this is heart rate monitor too. Watch or phone will log all data without need to bother to do it yourself and when uploaded to pc and or web you have it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

+1 on heart rate monitor but most people don't use them starting off. By the time you start using it your watch will lack other features that you will want to upgrade anyways so you want to make a small investment as you can starting off as nearly always you will need to upgrade in time if that makes sense. For me it was a case of I got the nike+ pod for the shoe that was wildly inaccurate and only good for the bin. Then got a garmin 305 which was a great watch and did me for about a year. I did find it a bit bulky and hard to hear alerts when I was listening to iPod so I got a garmin 610 which does everything i want. The resell market is good on garmin watches and you can have a look on adverts if you have your eye on one. Also you might pick up a bargin there but some watches have high return rates and you may be buying a dud. http://www.handtec.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=forerunner&submit=search+for+products is also a good source for refurbs. read the reviews on DCrainmaker as nearly all the watches have something negative about them even if its just the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I use a garmin 305 and just write everything down in a small Diary.

you could also start a log in the training logs section?

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »

if you have a garmin 305 why do you write stuff down....???? :confused::confused::confused:

one of the garmin software options or sporttracks is a way better way to do it, see progress on times, HR, fitness, etc etc.

glasso wrote: »

if you have a garmin 305 why do you write stuff down....???? :confused::confused::confused:

one of the garmin software options or sporttracks is a way better way to do it, see progress on times, HR, fitness, etc etc.

Its quicker. Plus its really easy to flick through dates weeks etc.

There is a lot to be said for pen and paper.

I only ever hooked the watch up to the computer once and while it was cool i couldn't be bothered doing it after every run.

I only ever hooked the watch up to the computer once and while it was cool i couldn't be bothered doing it after every run.

you don't have to do it every run. every 5 runs, every 10 runs etc. you'll probably lose the notebook sometime but if you have your data online you won't lose it...
    plus you can see all your mile splits, HR data, track mileage on running shoes etc etc... can't do that with a notebook...

glasso wrote: »

you don't have to do it every run. every 5 runs, every 10 runs etc. you'll probably lose the notebook sometime but if you have your data online you won't lose it...
    plus you can see all your mile splits, HR data, track mileage on running shoes etc etc... can't do that with a notebook...

what if i loose the internet?

Fair enough , i might try it maybe next year. it would mean wearing the watch for every run though.
    Ill still probably start another diary too though. I Just like the ritual of it.

Sometimes it can be too much info but maybe i might like to see it in future.. I do put a Mark down on what shoes i ran in too in my note book.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

From my own (limited) experience:
    I started with a Time Ironman stopwatch, ignore the Ironman logo :rolleyes:, it's a decent watch and I bought it primarily as the Start/Lap button is on top and can be easily hit with one finger. It also will beep after a set time interval, eg 5 mins, so I could run 5 mins/walk 5 mins in teh beginning.

I then used gmap pedometer to measure the legth of my runs and kept track of times in Excel.

Once I got a smartphone with GPS, I installed Runkeeper and Endomondo apps and ended up using Runkeeper more.

I found the phone bulky to carry and had issues with condensation building up in the arm holder on longer runs so bought a Garmin Forerunner 210.

• Advertisement
Advertisement