Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting from Glasnevin to Clontarf

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to get from Finglas/Glasnevin to Clontarf via public transport?

Friends of mine are in a real bind. They've had to move to Violet Hill Road but can't get their kids into any of the local primary schools. It means having to get them to and from their old school on Seafield Road in Clontarf.

No car so public transport is the only option. If they can get to from Marino/Fairview I could get them the rest of the way.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not really an answer to your question, but if the kids are old enough, I would suggest bikes or scooters....

Violet Hill to Seafield Road is not all that far as the crow flies.......

You could head onto Griffith Avenue Extension and go all the way down Griffith Avenue, this would bring you a lot of the way.

I am assuming public transport means going into town and back out again......probably a 90 minute trip each way, taking in walk to bus stop, time waiting at bus stop, walk to school etc. That is simply not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Take the 40, 40B, 40D or 140 from Finglas Road to O'Connell Street. Walk to Lower Abbey Street and take the 130 which will take you to Seafield Road in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thank you.

One kid is 5 so solo biking not really an
    option. They might be able to get some sort of child carrier for an adult bike.
    Still going to be 30 mins plus I reckon.

KD345 wrote: »
    Take the 40, 40B, 40D or 140 from Finglas Road to O'Connell Street. Walk to Lower Abbey Street and take the 130 which will take you to Seafield Road in Clontarf.

Thanks for that. Will have to do in the short term.

Thanks for that. Will have to do in the short term.

If it's a journey your friend will be making regularly they should purchase a prepaid ticket. It's cheaper and more convenient, especially when using multiple buses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Threads like this always make me think how badly Dublin could do with something like London's TFL Journey Planner.

It seems crazy that the handiest way between these two points by public transport involves changing buses in the city centre.

Lapin wrote: »
    Threads like this always make me think how badly Dublin could do with something like London's TFL Journey Planner.

It seems crazy that the handiest way between these two points by public transport involves changing buses in the city centre.

Transport For Ireland launched their journey planner recently:
    http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is the 104 bus from Cappagh to Clontarf still running?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Yeah walk up to the ballymun road and into shanard and get the 104 to the clontarf road.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/1041/

It's quite a walk from Violet Hill Road to Shanard, especially with a 5 year old. Also, the 104 timetable is not great with just an hourly service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Well from Violet hill the quickest way to clontarf via public transport would be to get the 83 into town and get the dart to clontarf.

Triangular wrote: »
    Well from Violet hill the quickest way to clontarf via public transport would be to get the 83 into town and get the dart to clontarf.

Clontarf Dart station is in Fairview, I'd say its a half hour walk at least to the school with a five year old.

OP, the only way this can be done is on bikes.

5 year old goes on a carrier.

Otherwise tell your friends to buy a car.

You can not put young children into a 90 minute daily each way commute to get to a school two miles away.

Thank you.

One kid is 5 so solo biking not really an
    option. They might be able to get some sort of child carrier for an adult bike.
    Still going to be 30 mins plus I reckon.

30 mins on a bike versus 90 mins on public transport.

Plus one where you get fresh air, the other where you are crammed in with commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

Transport For Ireland launched their journey planner recently:
    http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

http://hittheroad.ie/#from=Clontarf&to=Glasnevin

however, connection is quite poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have they tried ALL the schools in the area, including the ones in Finglas such as St. Canices?

January wrote: »
    Have they tried ALL the schools in the area, including the ones in Finglas such as St. Canices?

The Principal in Clontarf pulled some strings and they've got a place in Glasnevin! Good old Ireland, it's always who you know! ;)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Advertisement