Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help req - N97 side slide switch repair

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I urgently need to replace the "lock /unlock" side slide switch on an N97.

I already have the parts, but cannot figure the correct order the switch gets assembled onto the back chassis (didn't come with instructions). No problem disassembling the phone. Just need to know the exact sequence / order to clip the slide switch together.
    It should be fairly simple, but ....:o

Any and all help will be greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Italia wrote: »
    I urgently need to replace the "lock /unlock" side slide switch on an N97.

I already have the parts, but cannot figure the correct order the switch gets assembled onto the back chassis (didn't come with instructions).
    It should be fairly simple, but ....:o

Any and all help will be greatfully appreciated.

I have the same phone and just looked at mine there now. Im guessing ud start with the screws in behind the battery. Or did you try youtube ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What problem are you having?

The plastic cover on the outside, or the switch mounted on the pcb?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

The phone is already disassembled (I have the service manual).
    I purchased a replacement switch that comes in 3 parts. I figured out which part fits outside (doh :D ). Its the other 2 bits that I'm not sure of how they fit onto the chassis

Look at the attached picture - the flat rounded part with the hole in the centre - does it fit on the outer side of the chassis or on the inner side?
    The bulky bit with the hole has a flat side and a raised surface side. Which side fits against the chassis body?

Maybe this is clearer :)
    I have the same phone and just looked at mine there now. Im guessing ud start with the screws in behind the battery. Or did you try youtube ?

Plastic cover.
    I think the attached picture explains it better
    Davy wrote: »
    What problem are you having?

The plastic cover on the outside, or the switch mounted on the pcb?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

I purchased a replacement switch that comes in 3 parts. I figured out which part fits outside (doh :D ). Its the other 2 bits that I'm not sure of how they fit onto the chassis

Look at the attached picture - the flat rounded part with the hole in the centre - does it fit on the outer side of the chassis or on the inner side?
    The bulky bit with the hole has a flat side and a raised surface side. Which side fits against the chassis body?

I was going to take the rear cover off mine to see if I could help you but one of the screws is rounding off so I can't help you further im afraid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

From memory i don't think these are replaced on their own, it comes apart of the B-cover assembly, which you could probably purchase if you wanted a more certain job. Just mounting the switch, im not sure how long it will last. You may want to glue it in place.

Iirc its from left to right as in the pic, from outside to inside, and the piece on the very right, with the flat side on the outside shell

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated.

I had seen replacement B-cover assemblies, but the price difference compared to just getting a switch was fairly substantial.
    If I were using the phone personally, I'd have considered it (less hassle to put together), but seeing as the phone is used by a teenager and prone to "extreme handling" I decided to go for the switch and hope for the best :oPlus it was one of those pay 1 get 3x switches deal....
    Davy wrote: »
    From memory i don't think these are replaced on their own, it comes apart of the B-cover assembly, which you could probably purchase if you wanted a more certain job. Just mounting the switch, im not sure how long it will last. You may want to glue it in place.

Iirc its from left to right as in the pic, from outside to inside, and the piece on the very right, with the flat side on the outside shell

Advertisement