Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade (700€)

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I've been swanning around this forum mulling over an upgrade for a while. Fiddling around with my BIOS and breaking my MOBO has forced my hand.:o

1. What is your budget? [€700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Games. Newest FPS so as good graphics as possible.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Because I'm getting a good few parts I'll put in what I don't need to replace:
    Case: Cooler Master Gladitor 600
    EDIT: Power Supply: OCZ 700W Extreme somethingsomething....
    RAM: G-Skill Ares 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3
    Windows 8 ( I've got this covered - a legit copy and all:))
    I think that's it.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

1080p HDTV that'll be taken from me soon.

Back to normal 1080p monitors with the intention of getting a better one at some point. Can't justify the cost of a 1440p monitor for the time being.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No. I'll only break it.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card
    As much as anything I want a spec that fits with other components and is in the right ball park in terms of cost. I'll get into where I'm buying it from once I get a good sense of what I need.
    Some PMing may be requested.:o

9. When are you purchasing? Hopefully less than 3 weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    No.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh, and generally speaking, I want a HD7870 or better, an SSD (primarily for OS), a Mobo and a Processor.

Bump - fell off the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€216.29
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€99.74
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€55.99
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€89.24
    Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€222.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€702.25
    How about this.
    Edit, Overclocking is easy but, it can be auto overclocked if you don't want to do it yourself.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€216.29
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€99.74
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€55.99
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€89.24
    Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€222.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€702.25
    How about this.
    Edit, Overclocking is easy but, it can be auto overclocked if you don't want to do it yourself.

Added the PSU in the OP. I don't need one.:)

For the SSD:
    I've currently got a 160GB 10k rpm HDD that's partitioned to hold my OS (windows 7) and some of my games.
    Is the performance of my PC in general improved enough to make it worth just getting a 64GB SSD for just my new OS (and using my current fast HDD for games) or, even if I have to juggle games a bit, would I be better served getting the 128GB SSD, perhaps at the expense of a better graphics card?

My aversion to overclocking is mostly based on having just broken my mobo by accidentally overclocking my RAM (or something).
    It'd be nice if there was just a simple windows program that I could just click a button and it would automatically overclock my PC without the risk of melting it - avoiding the scary world of the BIOS where it feels like any wrong click will cause my computer to catch fire. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

In my set up I have a 128GB SSD for my OS, programs and a few games. I then have a old 64 SSD for the extra games and a 2TB HDD were my music and moves are put. I'd go for the 128 GB SSD. It's just the right size for the price.

Most new MB will have some kind of auto overclocking. On my Asus MB you can just mouse over and set it to performance in the UEFI BIOS and that's it your done. It's easy you can't screw it up. MSI have the OC genie were you just push a button on the MB. Other MB's will have something similar. Just make sure you use an after market cooler though.

You could spend the extra money saved from the PSU on a cooler, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/52671/Thermalright+HR-02+Macho.article

• Advertisement
Advertisement