Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring breast pump to hospital???

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I want to try breastfeeding this time round but plan to use a breast pump as I'm just not confident enough to breastfeed in front of others. Can I bring my breast pump to the hospital or is that not the done thing? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You could, but would also need to bring bottles and steriliser? Is it self consciousness at exposing your breasts or confidence in actual breast feeding that you are uncomfortable with? Why not contact the hospital lactation consultant beforehand, they may be very helpful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The hospital normally supply you with one fr the time that you are there if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

To be honest, you could end up pumping for about 20 mins in the first few days and only have a drop in the bottle.
    Baby gets colostrum from your breasts in the first few days and your milk doesnt really come in until Day 3 or 4 sometimes if you have had a C-section.

The hospital will provide you with a little container thing filled with Milton for you to clean the bottles if you are trying to express - but just so you know its not like oh baby is born: pump, pump pump theres 4 oz of breastmilk in the bottle now.

If you are self conscious the midwives will teach you how to be discreet, pop a sheet over ye or you could just draw the curtains and tell visitors that you are a little bit self conscious until you get the hang of the breast feeding can they give you a bit of alone time... Hope this helps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

As Moonbeam pointed out they will have them available for you in the hospital, so no need to worry about packing one and sterilisation etc.

Neyite's suggestion is a great one, I'm sure its a common concern for many women who want to try BFing so the lactation consultant will probably have some tried and tested help for you. If its anxiety about exposure that has you not wanting to feed directly in hospital, keep in mind that during your stay you'll have ways to get some privacy, you can pull the curtains about your bed if you are in shared ward and just let hormone filled roar if you see the curtain twitch indicating someone might come in ;) Having a button down nighty or PJs gives you a lot of discretion too and adding a blanket over your shoulder and behind baby's head will mean all anyone who enters the curtained space will see is blanket. There's also the apron/smock thingies you can get like at http://bubibainne.ie/

Being comfortable yourself is the biggest part of BFing imo, so checking out some options and talking to the consultant in advance might help lots. Fair play to you for being open to giving it a go, especially when you have a concern but are working around it, I really admire that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I wouldn't bother bringing the pump to be honest. As some one already mentioned, you could pump for ages and get very little as the volume being produced by your breasts aat the begining will be very small. Most if it would probably get caught in the parts of the pump and on the side of the bottle.
    I like the advice of closing the curtain and the hormonal roar if it twitches!!

Loads of people told me to go to a Cuidiu, La Leche League or Friends of Breastfeeding group while I was pregnant, cos I honestly don't think I'd ever even SEEN anyone breastfeeding before I had my baby. It's one piece of advice I wish I'd listened to. The groups of full of women who have all been there and experienced learning how to breastfeed, and have loads of tips.

I was so unconfortable feeding in front of anyone at the beginning. I remeber my mother in law coming in to visit and not leaving the room when I told her I was going to feed the baby. MORTIFIED. It IS natural but it's NOT an easy skill to master! There's a bit of faffing about at the start, getting yourself organised and getting the baby positioned etc, but once it clicks it's a lot easier, you'd be nursing away and no one would even realise!
    Good luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was the opposite, I didn't care who was there when I was breastfeeding but I knew some people were uncomfortable with me doing it in front of them, so rather than leave the room I just threw a blanket over me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

by the 2nd one I was feeding in Eddie Rockets with a blanket over my shoulder:)
    Slings are great too,I could have them in the baba sling and they could be feeding away while I went about my day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 celticshedvil

Thanks for all your comments and advice, they are much appreciated. I had a word with the midwife at clinic this week and she had loads of tips also. I get embarassed when someone breastfeeds in front of me so god knows how I'll manage but I'm adamant I'll give it a go. How bad can it be!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks for all your comments and advice, they are much appreciated. I had a word with the midwife at clinic this week and she had loads of tips also. I get embarassed when someone breastfeeds in front of me so god knows how I'll manage but I'm adamant I'll give it a go. How bad can it be!

You may find your mindset totally changes when they have a new purpose. (or more accurately, are at last being used for the purpose they were created for! :D) I know I would have been a bit nervous exposing my boob in front of anyone but that honestly didnt enter my head after he was born and they helped latch him on, the nurses were very matter-of-fact about it, and all I could think about was providing him with what he needed- embarassment honestly never even crossed my mind. I was in awe of my baby to the exclusion of all else. Then, all the wet and dirty nappies showed he was getting nourishment, and after a few days gaining weight, I felt proud that my body and my breasts could do this. I am so proud of them now, when I see my boy getting so big and healthy and its all down to my milk, and my boobs. :)

Advertisement