Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dressmaking in Cork

• 03-09-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm looking for a dressmaking course in Cork and heard there is one in Colaiste Stiofain Naofa. Anybody know if it's any good?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I did this course and I wouldn't fall over myself reccomending it to be honest. The tutor was lovely but she was a bit disorganised. I enjoyed it in that it was fun to get together with other people and do some sewing but I didn't learn much from it. Everyone was making something different so the tutor was stretched too thin as well, and didn't have the time or knowledge to answer questions about the symbols on the pattern sheets for example. I know there is one in Douglas as well and possible Ashton so there's a few to check out. For learning I would prefer the course if everyone was making the same thing, you can branch out to your own stuff down the line when you know the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Have you thought of looking online at Youtube for example? I buy simplicity patterns and there usually is an explanation of how to do the basic stuff included. I'm always amazed at the amount I find on youtube and it's free and you can work at your own pace. The video makers are also very helpfull with any problems you may have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

plus one to the youtube suggestion, the tutorials on it are a new discovery to me & i find it excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CBC2

Thanks for that guys! I'll definitely check out the YouTube tutorials. I'm looking for something to get out and meet other people that are into it. Anyone hear anything of the Douglas or Ashton? They seem to have the same tutor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Youtube is great but it wouldn't be enough for a complete beginner Imo. Even little things like finding the selvadges and straight grain can be so confusing at the beginning if you don't have someone to show you in person. Two of my friends did the CSN course and neither found it good, neither of them even finished the dress they were making and they said they spent most of the evenings waiting for the tutor to come to them so they could ask a question in order to move on. I go to the Mallow College of Design and Tailoring myself and find it great. Been there a year now and going into second year any day now. They do day and evening classes for all levels. Definately worth getting the train out for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 lisa dingle

hi there, i've been looking at the dressmaking course in the Mallow Fashion College. its 200e though for a term, but it might be worth a look. im going to try and do it after christmas myself.. all the info is available on their website. hth

Advertisement