Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Portfolio

• 03-09-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Good evening,

After making a few posts here, and lurking on a few other threads, I decided to bite the bullet and post my own portfolio here. Most of these shares have been bought in the last year or so, some up, some down since purchase.

I'm no expert, but hope this is a relatively safe portfolio, but no doubt expect to receive some critism for it ! I do find it interesting that on the first page at the moment, there are about 5 threads on oil stocks but very few on more "boring" companies.

1 - Aer Lingus - Bought late last year, at less than 70 cent and have taken some profits off the table. Playing wait and see with the remainder, to see how Ryanair takeover (I expect it to fail) and Etihad investment pan out. Was my biggest holding at one stage.

2 - AXA - Bought June 2012, so decent gains since then. Has varied wildly over the last year or so, depending on outlook on the Euro/Greece etc. Pays a 69 cent per share dividend which is a decent yield. Has sold its Australian business and gained full ownership of it's more rapidly expanding Far Eastern business in the year, which should bear fruit in the future. Currently largest holding.

3 - Bank of America - With its balance sheet the size it is, who truely knows what is going on here !! Legal problems stemming from Countrywide purchase are still there, though some progress has been made on these, and indeed trying to shrink the balance sheet. Bought last year, so decent gains since, will wait and see.

4 - EDF - French based electricithy generator. Regulated industry, so should be reasonably stable. Pays a decent dividend. My smallest holding

5 - GE - The so called bellweather of the American company. Up about 15% since I purchased them, last December. Massive company, relatively safe.

6 - John Deere - Bought in June 2012, pretty static since purchase.

7 - Star Bulk Carriers - Shipping company. This is a very interesting sector of the market, as a bunch of companys are trading at quite depressed levels. Industry is suffering from overcapacity at the moment, so the BDI index is at a low. Possibly further write downs for ships due, but still trades at a low level. Dividends are paid, and debt repayments are being met by the company. I do expect decent capital appreciation over the next 5 years.

8 - Tesco - Bought in January after the profit warning. Pays decent dividends and while its expansion into the US hasn't been successful with moderate growth and those dividends, I feel I can make a reasonable return

9 - Total - At the time of purchase were one of the cheaper oil majors. 2nd smallest holding.

10 - Trinity Mirror - I have posted here on this previously. Bought at around 35 per share, watched it drop to the 20's, and it is now around the 40 mark. Newspaper industry is in decline, but feel this is very undervalued still.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Fitz123

Err, embarrassingly I left one out;

Kentz - Irish based company, listed on the LSE. Work across the globe carrying out engineering projects. Bought in July 2012. Recently realised a decent set of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Procyon

Fitz123 wrote: »
    I do find it interesting that on the first page at the moment, there are about 5 threads on oil stocks but very few on more "boring" companies.

On the iii website the busiest message boards are all very speculative exploration stocks, but the "users' holdings" section has much duller companies like BT, Vodaphone, Barclays & BP. It makes me hopeful most private investors gamble less than forums suggest.

Although Barclays and BP haven't been very boring in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Great to see another portfolio thread. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Hi Fitz,

I echo the sentiment above, makes for quite interesting threads. Thanks for posting!

3 - Bank of America - With its balance sheet the size it is, who truely knows what is going on here !! Legal problems stemming from Countrywide purchase are still there, though some progress has been made on these, and indeed trying to shrink the balance sheet. Bought last year, so decent gains since, will wait and see.

7 - Star Bulk Carriers - Shipping company. This is a very interesting sector of the market, as a bunch of companys are trading at quite depressed levels. Industry is suffering from overcapacity at the moment, so the BDI index is at a low. Possibly further write downs for ships due, but still trades at a low level. Dividends are paid, and debt repayments are being met by the company. I do expect decent capital appreciation over the next 5 years.

10 - Trinity Mirror - I have posted here on this previously. Bought at around 35 per share, watched it drop to the 20's, and it is now around the 40 mark. Newspaper industry is in decline, but feel this is very undervalued still.

On the above, I was wondering what your thoughts were on;
    3 - BOA - As a rule i don't invest in companies where i don't understand their liabilities or have extremely complex revenue streams. Did you choose BOA by the size of the balance sheet, which as you say they are trying to reduce?

6 - John Deere - I've seen it argued that rising Ag prices and drives for efficiency and productivity in farming will see larger plant purchases, espcially in relatively untapped markets - Is that the play here or do you see other value?

7 - Star Bulk Carriers - Shipping is something i've avoided as the industry seems to be in a mess. Shippers falling over each other to undercut competition, leasing at negative daily return, increased supply of ships from Asia keeping daily rates supressed. Is this a play on global recovery or how did you choose Star Bulk?

10 - Trinity Mirror - The only way i see the newpapers becoming more attractive is if they can diversify their revenue streams, internet etc and following the advertising budgets. What aspect of Trinity do you see as undervalued?

Hopefully those questions aren't too intrusive, just thought i'd share my opinion and ask yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Hi Fitz,

I echo the sentiment above, makes for quite interesting threads. Thanks for posting!

On the above, I was wondering what your thoughts were on;
    3 - BOA - As a rule i don't invest in companies where i don't understand their liabilities or have extremely complex revenue streams. Did you choose BOA by the size of the balance sheet, which as you say they are trying to reduce?

6 - John Deere - I've seen it argued that rising Ag prices and drives for efficiency and productivity in farming will see larger plant purchases, espcially in relatively untapped markets - Is that the play here or do you see other value?

7 - Star Bulk Carriers - Shipping is something i've avoided as the industry seems to be in a mess. Shippers falling over each other to undercut competition, leasing at negative daily return, increased supply of ships from Asia keeping daily rates supressed. Is this a play on global recovery or how did you choose Star Bulk?

10 - Trinity Mirror - The only way i see the newpapers becoming more attractive is if they can diversify their revenue streams, internet etc and following the advertising budgets. What aspect of Trinity do you see as undervalued?

Hopefully those questions aren't too intrusive, just thought i'd share my opinion and ask yours!

Trinity Mirror operate on a PER of about 1.5. Debt will be paid off in 2 years. There is a big pension liability but they have freehold assets to the same value. I held £100K in these not too long ago but sold as the market clearly wasn't rating them, I do agree though that they are significantly undervalued and will buy in if they retest 30pish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

liammur wrote: »
    Trinity Mirror operate on a PER of about 1.5. Debt will be paid off in 2 years. There is a big pension liability but they have freehold assets to the same value. I held £100K in these not too long ago but sold as the market clearly wasn't rating them, I do agree though that they are significantly undervalued and will buy in if they retest 30pish.

The debt payoff is fairly significant alright. Thanks for sharing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭grover_green

Good evening,

After making a few posts here, and lurking on a few other threads, I decided to bite the bullet and post my own portfolio here. Most of these shares have been bought in the last year or so, some up, some down since purchase.

I'm no expert, but hope this is a relatively safe portfolio, but no doubt expect to receive some critism for it ! I do find it interesting that on the first page at the moment, there are about 5 threads on oil stocks but very few on more "boring" companies.

1 - Aer Lingus - Bought late last year, at less than 70 cent and have taken some profits off the table. Playing wait and see with the remainder, to see how Ryanair takeover (I expect it to fail) and Etihad investment pan out. Was my biggest holding at one stage.

2 - AXA - Bought June 2012, so decent gains since then. Has varied wildly over the last year or so, depending on outlook on the Euro/Greece etc. Pays a 69 cent per share dividend which is a decent yield. Has sold its Australian business and gained full ownership of it's more rapidly expanding Far Eastern business in the year, which should bear fruit in the future. Currently largest holding.

4 - EDF - French based electricithy generator. Regulated industry, so should be reasonably stable. Pays a decent dividend. My smallest holding

5 - GE - The so called bellweather of the American company. Up about 15% since I purchased them, last December. Massive company, relatively safe.

8 - Tesco - Bought in January after the profit warning. Pays decent dividends and while its expansion into the US hasn't been successful with moderate growth and those dividends, I feel I can make a reasonable return

9 - Total - At the time of purchase were one of the cheaper oil majors. 2nd smallest holding.

i especially like

tesco
    total
    general electric

john deere is a great company but a pretty lousy stock to own , i owen it since april and have not gotten back to $ 82 where i got in , farmers in america have no money due to the worst drought in decades and the company has a very large amount of debt , its a good long term stock however

if your looking for a french stock with a high dividend, you wont do much better than france telecom , pays over 10 % , guess when ex dividend date is , today ! , you can buy it on the NYSE , french market is closed ( FTE ) , stock has been totally hammered by euro crisis and is down 70% this past five years , vodafone is a much stronger company but dividend is a mere 6% by comparison

Great to see another portfolio thread. Best of luck.

yes and this one isnt made up of obscure small caps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

1. It is great to see a portfolio thread like this with some good analysis and reasoning behind your picks

2. Perhaps a mod could change the title a little just so it's not confused with the other thread with the same title ;)

3. Grover Green, why feel the need to take a dig? My main holding has a market cap of over $1b, my second largest holding is physical silver which will be around a lot longer than any corporation and one of my two other shares has a 50% ownership in a mine in one of the most gold rich areas of the world. Different styles of portfolios on here should be embraced, not abused!

4. Sorry to the OP, but felt the need to defend myself.

5. Good luck (especially with BAC :eek:) !

Oh dear, after spending quite some time typing a reply, I somehow managed to lose my post. Yes I am a bit of a luddite, hence no Tech stocks in my portfolio !! I'll reply quickly below.

Thanks Turbobaby, as a fellow Dunshaughlinite, I did read your thread with interest. Imitiation is the best form of flattery, but yes, it may be an idea to change the thread title. We have gone for quite different areas, and will be interesting to see how they pan out. Yes BAC, will certainly be an interest ride, rates should be low for the next while, but I am quite interested to see how the looming physical cliff (if nothing is sorted out) will effect the American economy and banks in particular.

Roger, just on the companies you mention;

BAC - With somewhere around $2 trillion in assets if we were all forensic accountants we could spend the rest of our lives looking at this and still not scratch the surface. Huge risks, being loans losses, legal issues, American economy etc. When I looked at this it was about the cheapest of the large US banks; JP Morgan, Citi, Well Fargo etc. I think BAC have made some progress over the last while and it is good to see them settling some of the legal issues. Low interest rates should help them for the next 2 years, however if the physical cliff comes to pass they reduction in workers salaries may effect capacity to repay loans. I had a lot more than this written , before I lost my last post. There was a thread on BAC here ;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056462127

• Advertisement

John Deere - As you mention an ag play. I read as well that a lot of the current year American drought losses are covered by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation. Payout may drive further investment in machinery to improve yields and irrigation related machinery also. I feel John Deere can grab a big slice of this. Interstingly Bill Gates is the biggest shareholder in the company.

Star Bulk Carriers - As you point out lots of overcapacity in this industry due to hulls ordered during the boom coming on stream now and depressing charter rates. SBLK is cheap from a price/book ration, albeit it is likely there will be further writedowns in book values. Still a big margin of safety here. Debt is being repaid still, and the company does have a number of ships on long term charters at decent rates. Currently there is a dividend being paid, but expect this to be cut. I bought some of these at $1.10 a share and again more recently at $0.60. Currently just a tad over $0.50, so sitting on some losses, but am in no need to sell. I think it will be choppy for a while, but they can survive the turmoil for the next year or two.

Trinity Mirror - I posted about this one, some time ago http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78024702 Still sitting in there, but have no where as big an investment as Liam !!

I still have some cash left over that remains uninvested at the moment. Deposit rates after DIRT being what they are, I will be investing some of this also. Will always have some money left over in case a share I like goes on "sale" due to what I feel is over reaction to some negative news.

After their last results, I did cast my eye over both Dell and Hewlett Packard at the time. The PC industry has essentially become commoditisied, with IBM have decided some time ago to sell their business off to Lenovo to concentrate on higher margin ventures. Dell and HPQ have suffered in recent times. HPQ have had a number of CEO which has led to a wishy washy strategy and overpaying for a number of acquisitions. Michael Dell has returned to the company he founded.

I need to look more in detail at both companies, but feel there could be some value here.

turbobaby wrote: »
    1. It is great to see a portfolio thread like this with some good analysis and reasoning behind your picks

2. Perhaps a mod could change the title a little just so it's not confused with the other thread with the same title ;)

3. Grover Green, why feel the need to take a dig? My main holding has a market cap of over $1b, my second largest holding is physical silver which will be around a lot longer than any corporation and one of my two other shares has a 50% ownership in a mine in one of the most gold rich areas of the world. Different styles of portfolios on here should be embraced, not abused!

4. Sorry to the OP, but felt the need to defend myself.

5. Good luck (especially with BAC :eek:) !

wasnt thinking of you

from what i see , all the portfolio threads around this place are made up of eccentric choices

Oh dear, after spending quite some time typing a reply, I somehow managed to lose my post. Yes I am a bit of a luddite, hence no Tech stocks in my portfolio !! I'll reply quickly below.

Thanks Turbobaby, as a fellow Dunshaughlinite, I did read your thread with interest. Imitiation is the best form of flattery, but yes, it may be an idea to change the thread title. We have gone for quite different areas, and will be interesting to see how they pan out. Yes BAC, will certainly be an interest ride, rates should be low for the next while, but I am quite interested to see how the looming physical cliff (if nothing is sorted out) will effect the American economy and banks in particular.

Roger, just on the companies you mention;

BAC - With somewhere around $2 trillion in assets if we were all forensic accountants we could spend the rest of our lives looking at this and still not scratch the surface. Huge risks, being loans losses, legal issues, American economy etc. When I looked at this it was about the cheapest of the large US banks; JP Morgan, Citi, Well Fargo etc. I think BAC have made some progress over the last while and it is good to see them settling some of the legal issues. Low interest rates should help them for the next 2 years, however if the physical cliff comes to pass they reduction in workers salaries may effect capacity to repay loans. I had a lot more than this written , before I lost my last post. There was a thread on BAC here ;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056462127

banco santander is the best bet ( from an upside POV ) , europes largest bank which has been beaten down due to guilt by association with its home country , most of santanders interest are from outside spain , cracking dividend of over 7%

if i was to own a bank in america , id go with either JPM or wells fargo , wells fargo is the largest lender in the mortgage market and the housing market seems to be recovering over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

banco santander is the best bet ( from an upside POV ) , europes largest bank which has been beaten down due to guilt by association with its home country , most of santanders interest are from outside spain , cracking dividend of over 7%

if i was to own a bank in america , id go with either JPM or wells fargo , wells fargo is the largest lender in the mortgage market and the housing market seems to be recovering over there

HSBC has a mkt cap over twice in excess of banco santader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

wasnt thinking of you

from what i see , all the portfolio threads around this place are made up of eccentric choices

To be fair they are more interesting to discuss and they are more exciting and dramatic. :D

Sometimes there isn't as much to discuss with an established large cap which mostly follows the market. Nice portfolio Fitz; might create one of these myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Good to see another portfolio thread, they are great real life learning tools for the rest of us! And yep, a slightly safer portfolio thread will hopefully bring some balance to the forum from all the exciting but high risk threads that we have had recently!

liammur wrote: »
    HSBC has a mkt cap over twice in excess of banco santader.

hsbc is as much an asian bank as a european one

To be fair they are more interesting to discuss and they are more exciting and dramatic. :D

Sometimes there isn't as much to discuss with an established large cap which mostly follows the market. Nice portfolio Fitz; might create one of these myself.

their only interesting to a tiny minority of anoraks , ive never heard of the vast majority of them and i consider myself above average ( for an amateur ) when it comes to knowledge of stocks

their only interesting to a tiny minority of anoraks , ive never heard of the vast majority of them and i consider myself above average ( for an amateur ) when it comes to knowledge of stocks

Well surely you have to admit the smaller, unknown ones are the ones with the most potential (plus the most risk).

• Advertisement

Well surely you have to admit the smaller, unknown ones are the ones with the most potential (plus the most risk).

they have the most potential but only a small percentage of small caps ever hit pay dirt and by the time they,ve made the breakthrough , the insiders have made their gains , , id only ever invest loose change in small caps or penny stocks or else own an etf covering that sector

they have the most potential but only a small percentage of small caps ever hit pay dirt and by the time they,ve made the breakthrough , the insiders have made their gains , , id only ever invest loose change in small caps or penny stocks or else own an etf covering that sector

Tell that to anyone in USOP.:D

I admit that's probably an exception. That said with many small caps there is definitely money to be made, especially if you are willing to sell and take profit rather than wait long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 LiamACA

Tell that to anyone in USOP.:D

I admit that's probably an exception. That said with many small caps there is definitely money to be made, especially if you are willing to sell and take profit rather than wait long-term.

If you have made gains in USOP I'd be running for the hills. That company reeks

I posted this thread on 03/09, so will now post the shares prices from that day as well as current share price. As highlighted in my opening post, most of these shares were purchased last year or earlier this year, so some shares currently have significant unrealised gains (Bank of America, bought at about 5.20 for example) and losses (Star Bulk bought at 1.10 and some more at .60)

Share No Name 3/9/2012 10/9/2012 % Gain / Loss
    1 Aer Lingus 1.05 1.04 -0.95%
    2 AXA 11.62 12.37 6.45%
    3 Bank of America 8 8.87 10.88%
    4 EDF 16.41 17.1 4.20%
    5 GE 20.51 21.46 4.63%
    6 John Deere 74.12 77.65 4.76%
    7 Star Bulk Carriers 0.52 0.52 0.00%
    8 Tesco 339.45 343.8 1.28%
    9 Total 40.05 40.49 1.10%
    10 Trinity Mirror 41.25 39.83 -3.44%
    11 Kentz 390.1 399 2.28%

Given recent news from the ECB etc, obviously the two financial stocks in the portfolio have been the main movers. As I am not fully invested keeping an eye for further opportunities

Just realised 03/09 was Labour Day in the states so US prices are from 04/09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 LiamACA

03/09/12 €1:$1.2578

09/09/12 €1:$1.2813

2% loss on the dollar disposals though

Fair point on the fx Liam.

Just added some Hewlett-Packard today.

I feel it can turn around and the additional cost cutting announced during the week will help them (presumably extra headcount cuts are in lower margin areas) To me it seems nearly like IBM a decade ago.

Share No Name 3/9/2012 21/09/2012 % Gain / Loss
    1 Aer Lingus 1.05 1.05 0.00%
    2 AXA 11.62 12.47 7.31%
    3 Bank of America 8 9.18 14.75%
    4 EDF 16.41 17.22 4.94%
    5 GE 20.51 22.62 10.29%
    6 John Deere 74.12 83.03 12.02%
    7 Star Bulk Carriers 0.52 0.62 19.23%
    8 Tesco 339.45 340 0.16%
    9 Total 40.05 40.8 1.87%
    10 Trinity Mirror 41.25 53 28.48%
    11 Kentz 390.1 440 12.79%

Decent performance since I started tracking here. SBLK has had a decent bounce, though still in a large loss position since the time of purchase. Trinity Mirror are beginning to show signs of life, and are now around the 52 week high.

Returns above are ignoring fx, which yes is quite volatile at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Procyon

That looks like a return of about 10%. Not bad for three weeks, if only investing always worked out like this!

• Advertisement

Share No Name 3/9/2012 4/1/2013 % Gain / Loss
    1 Aer Lingus 1.05 1.16 10.48%
    2 AXA 11.62 13.87 19.36%
    3 Bank of America 8 12.11 51.38%
    4 EDF 16.41 14.44 -12.00%
    5 GE 20.51 21.2 3.36%
    6 John Deere 74.12 88.67 19.63%
    7 Star Bulk Carriers 7.8 6.94 -11.03%
    8 Tesco 339.45 348.3 2.61%
    9 Total 40.05 39.82 -0.57%
    10 Trinity Mirror 41.25 99 140.00%
    11 Kentz 390.1 381.3 -2.26%

Portfolio as at yesterday

Have made a number of recent changes which I will elaborate on later, but these include selling off AXA, John Deere and Trinity Mirror

Totally forgot about this thread !!

I mentioned on the 13/09/12 I added HPQ. bought at about $18.25, sold recently for $25.

Share No Name 3/9/2012 9/8/2013 % Gain / Loss
    1 Aer Lingus 1.05 1.65 57.14%
    2 Bank of America 8 14.45 80.63%
    3 EDF 16.41 21.8 32.85%
    4 GE 20.51 24.25 18.24%
    5 Star Bulk Carriers 7.8 6.21 -20.38%
    6 Tesco 339.45 375 10.47%
    7 Total 40.05 40.25 0.50%
    8 Kentz 390.1 451 15.61%

Decent overall return coming up to one year on. Shipping industry still giving trouble !!

Have very recently bought Apple, and Barclays (after the right issue announcement was made.)

Icahn just announced he has bought a stake in Apple so a good bounce so far today. Touching $500 a share.

To think in late June they were less than $400 !! (I bought in July at $440 a share)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Share No Name 3/9/2012 4/1/2013 % Gain / Loss
    1 Aer Lingus 1.05 1.16 10.48%
    2 AXA 11.62 13.87 19.36%
    3 Bank of America 8 12.11 51.38%
    4 EDF 16.41 14.44 -12.00%
    5 GE 20.51 21.2 3.36%
    6 John Deere 74.12 88.67 19.63%
    7 Star Bulk Carriers 7.8 6.94 -11.03%
    8 Tesco 339.45 348.3 2.61%
    9 Total 40.05 39.82 -0.57%
    10 Trinity Mirror 41.25 99 140.00%
    11 Kentz 390.1 381.3 -2.26%

Portfolio as at yesterday

Have made a number of recent changes which I will elaborate on later, but these include selling off AXA, John Deere and Trinity Mirror

How much money is that youve made in this time frame

Since Sept '12, decent 5 figure sum yoloc.

Good return but kicking myself about some of the speculative shares I had thought about buying like Tesla ... ah well. Have some cash to one side at the moment and looking for further options.

Have some money in a few riskier shares not mentioned here, like GGG and another uranium stock. These in total represent a very small portion of my portfolio and am not going to track their returns here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

HI Fitz well done on Shares, im watching to get into some shares my self as the deposit rates are gone to pot , 2.5 - 3 % max :(

Thanks Tech, with DIRT @ I think 33% (and likely to be subject to PRSI next year too) in a lot of cases you are barely making the 2%. Worth looking to see what is out there, as plenty of opportunities, though a lot of research needs to be carried out first !!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Since Sept '12, decent 5 figure sum yoloc.

Good return but kicking myself about some of the speculative shares I had thought about buying like Tesla ... ah well. Have some cash to one side at the moment and looking for further options.

Have some money in a few riskier shares not mentioned here, like GGG and another uranium stock. These in total represent a very small portion of my portfolio and am not going to track their returns here.

Was very close to putting nearly 50k into the GL uranium stock at the start of the year but getting hold of the money fell through. Hopefully by the end of the year or 2 ill have 135k to invest but think it will be to late then to invest in the uranium as itll soar when the ban is lifted. Will keep an eye on your portfolio and hope it continues to rise for you in the coming years. Good luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

Thanks Fitz, who do you buy the shares from? Davy or similar? I assume you have to CGT on all profit on share dealings?

Cheers Yoloc.

Just be sure if you are buying shares to diversify.

• Advertisement

tech wrote: »
    Thanks Fitz, who do you buy the shares from? Davy or similar? I assume you have to CGT on all profit on share dealings?

NIB currently, but half thinking of moving for cheaper fees and broader stock selection. I try to trade as little as possible to reduce fees.

Yes CGT on gains, and lots of taxes on dividends (unfortunately !)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nice portfolio Fitz. Where do you for your investing information?
    I use Mornnigstar primarily but its very US centric :(
    Wouldnt mind in getting into some European or UK equities.

Thanks Jank.

Again use Morningstar a bit, plus seekingalpha. It is also quiet US centric.

I used various stock screeners to indentify various companies. Then literally googled the companies that seemed attractive, read atricles, before looking at annual reports.

Occasionally look at Motley Fool for UK shares, but don't rate it compared to seekingalpha.

Seems to be a lot of excitement about Apple the last few days. Rumours the next gen Iphone to be unveiled mid-Sept, so will be v interesting to see what happens to the sp between now and then.

Big bounce for Kentz today. Takeover potentially ? Whether to hold on, sell, or sell a portion ... some reading to do !

After close tomorrow will update holdings are where they are. Decided in the end to sell all of Kentz for 580 a share.

Holding some cash now, any suggestions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

After close tomorrow will update holdings are where they are. Decided in the end to sell all of Kentz for 580 a share.

Holding some cash now, any suggestions ?

high risk? Low risk? Irish share? UK? Or u.s? Long term or short term?

Would listen to anything really Gordon, except for exploration / mining types (have a very small % invested there and not looking to branch out further in that area.)

Longer term really, but have been known to sell in the short term when some investments have had a large unexpected run up, and there are other shares that then look better to me.

I'd prefer Euro denominated, but UK or US is fine for me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I like Wexboys stuff, must read again.

Thanks gordon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement