Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about English

• 03-09-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I really want to do English this year but the teachers have insisted I study the texts they've chosen themselves.
    However, I find Shakespeare hard as it is! I did Wuthering Heights as Single text and I always scored highly. I used Shakespeare as a comparative and it worked for me.
    I am lucky enough that WH is up again along with two other texts I have previously done in 2011. I could just adapt A Winters' tale as it is similar to the Shakespeare I did in 2011.

Is there anyway around this? This combination of Shakespeare as a comparative worked better for me personally!

Can I not just study my own texts? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    I really want to do English this year but the teachers have insisted I study the texts they've chosen themselves.
    However, I find Shakespeare hard as it is! I did Wuthering Heights as Single text and I always scored highly. I used Shakespeare as a comparative and it worked for me.
    I am lucky enough that WH is up again along with two other texts I have previously done in 2011. I could just adapt A Winters' tale as it is similar to the Shakespeare I did in 2011.

Is there anyway around this? This combination of Shakespeare as a comparative worked better for me personally!

Can I not just study my own texts? :confused:

Well along as these texts are on the course for the LC youre technically fine ! But it probably will annoy your English teacher ! Could you not study while they are doing their own texts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

haro124 wrote: »
    Well along as these texts are on the course for the LC youre technically fine ! But it probably will annoy your English teacher ! Could you not study while they are doing their own texts ?

Oh they are but when I said this to them, they were having none of it. But I remember when I sat English myself, I found I worked for the B1 off my own back completely?! I really don't get Shakespeare... I'd prefer to do it as a comparative..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Are they aware that you've studied these texts previously? It sounds quite unreasonable of them to force you to do new texts. At the end of the day, in the exam your teacher won't have a say in what texts you write on, but obviously it would be better not to waste time covering new texts that you're not going to use. If it were me I'd stick to my guns to be honest, it's your exam and you know what suits you and what doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Hi guys,
    Just have a small question, on paper one,
    You answer A or B on Text 1 , A or B on Text 2 and A or B on Text 3.?

And then the option on Section ii.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

shinesun wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just have a small question, on paper one,
    You answer A or B on Text 1 , A or B on Text 2 and A or B on Text 3.?

And then the option on Section ii.

Thanks.

You need to answer one question A and one question B. They can't be on the same text. One text will be left over. So say you answer A on text1 and B on text2, that'll mean you won't be answering on text3 at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

finality wrote: »
    Are they aware that you've studied these texts previously? It sounds quite unreasonable of them to force you to do new texts. At the end of the day, in the exam your teacher won't have a say in what texts you write on, but obviously it would be better not to waste time covering new texts that you're not going to use. If it were me I'd stick to my guns to be honest, it's your exam and you know what suits you and what doesn't.

Yes, I said I had studied them in 2011 and that they were up again this year! Plus, I let them know I am taking two new subjects this year. And since I have already done these texts before ....??

They are;
    Single Text
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Comparative :
    As you like it - Kenneth Branagh
    Emma - Jane Austen
    A winter's tale - William Shakespeare (it would be new but after research, It is quite similar to the Shakespeare play, The Tempest, which I had studied in 2011 as part of my comparative)

Why does this seem to be such a problem... I really don't want to take on all new poets as well as a new novel and comparative studies too.

My texts are luckily up this year..!!! I really want to do them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

It isn't as bad as you think, taking on new texts and poets. I did my LC in 2011, and got a B2 in English. I repeated in 2012, did 5 new poets and two new texts for the comparative. Thankfully, Hamlet was still the option for the single text! But, at the end of it all, I came out with an A!
    As long as you do the work that they want you to do, you should be fine.
    But, I agree, if you're more comfortable with the other texts, it does make sense for you to continue with them.

Advertisement