Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Greyhound Bin Charges in South County Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

petey68 wrote: »
    I dont know why people always slag off companies on this. All the prices seem very similar to me. People seem to give greyhound a hard time. thankfully i have never had any issues with them.

You created a boards.ie account just to post a defense of Greyhound?

I see.. hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I think a call to Thorntons is in the offing for me. €50/year and €8.50/lift (no weight limit) looks the best deal for someone not generating large amounts of black bin rubbish.
    Of course that is, until they increase their charges inline with Greyhound

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭satziki

i know citybin are in some areas in south dublin, my mum changed to them last year and loves but they said they don't service my estate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Ozo have a cheaper option for a smaller (140 l) bin of €162/annum for those with less rubbish.
    They also have a brown bin service but you have to pay extra €s depending on how many collections.
    http://www.ozo.ie/app/index.php?task=product&cat_type_id=4&territory_id=1

• Site Banned Posts: 11 muller21

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I take that to mean they don't service brown bins?

Its true that all the prices seem similar. That's the problem, the charges are going sky high, they all put up their prices, no competition, customer gets a bad deal as there is no real choice out there. Like petey68, I haven't had any problems with Greyhound except the charges have gone through the roof for us now, we can't cut back any more, we are already cut to the bone, but there is no choice, and no other company to change to. Their 'Great News' letter has irked a lot, particular when it contained really, really, bad news. That's about all I have to say on this matter. I can see there are many others who feel the same.

I agree completely. The prices are very similar. All the bin companies seem to have all the same terms and conditions. I have done a lot of research as many people have and luckily I found the option that suits my needs. We should all count ourselves lucky that we live in Dublin the prices down the country seem really expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Trotwood

I'm in Rathcoole rural. We paid €119.89 (incl. €60 service charge) to Greyhound in the last 12 months. Their offer of €228 or €225 p.a.(we have been given 2 options), put forward in their letter as GREAT NEWS! and HUGELY ATTRACTIVE, is insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oldbill09

Hi Trotwood. G/hound have not put their new charges online . Seems you were not offered their Plan 2 which is €60 annual + €6.5 for 25kg Black bin + €3.6 for 20kg Brown bin. The solution for you is Thornton - see all the info on their website and they collect your area. It will be much cheaper.

Yeah, I'm going to switch to Thorntons too as soon after I empty my current bins. They are currently much more suitable for people who keep their black bin waste to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kara123

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I think a call to Thorntons is in the offing for me. €50/year and €8.50/lift (no weight limit) looks the best deal for someone not generating large amounts of black bin rubbish.
    Of course that is, until they increase their charges inline with Greyhound

I signed up for the above dal with thorntons. I was happy. Just had an e mail to say they can't give me service despite the fact that houses 500 meters have a service from them. Not happy. Any suggestions

Kara123 wrote: »
    I was offered only the €19.50 PM or €225.00 PA. Is there other options available
    You mentioned this at #4 . without knowing your details it looks like g/hound were making sure of getting ur money by barring you from plan2. You may be in rural area. Or maybe market-sharing! Looks you're caught. Would a 140kg bin do? Don't know if g/hound allow reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Plan 2 would be the best option for us but like others they identified plan 1 as best value for us, so I said I'd call to change it, called the 1890 number ..... 3 times so far at different times of the day , each time on hold for more than 10 minutes.

Now call me a cynic but it's as if they are not answering the phone so folks get screwed for the pay monthly charge on monday :mad:

@Calex71. try 4612881. There's no panic - you can tell them anytime .If you are on direct debit they may take the €19 and think you agree but they say in their FAQ you can change at any time to other plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It took us several calls to get through but we did eventually. They are probably busy with customers calling to renew or cancel at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fifix

I live in Lucan and the plan 2 that I was offered was 29 euros per month, not 19 euros as some of you were offered?

@fifix. That really is a new one! Looks like Greyhound has devised multiple plans not just the 3 mentioned here. Was that it- just €29 per month? Any additional charges like for brown or black bin or extra weight? Anyway I've just signed with Thornton who collect in my estate in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

I signed up with Citybinco in Lucan too. Have had endless problems with Greyhound so wasn't sorry to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Higsb

fifix wrote: »
    I live in Lucan and the plan 2 that I was offered was 29 euros per month, not 19 euros as some of you were offered?

Seems there are multiple plans with no transparency or reason why some get one plan and not others.

Unfortunatly I don't have other options in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

What happens to any credit you have on your Greyhound account if you switch to someone else?

littlejp wrote: »
    What happens to any credit you have on your Greyhound account if you switch to someone else?

Best tell them you are switching and ask for refund asap. If you have €19 in credit you might be docked it for Oct. !! If you pay for a year I think it's lost if you switch . Check their website conditions.

@oldbill09
    I was offered 4 plans:
    1. 60 euros+pay by weight
    2. 29 euros a month
    3. 60 euros+pay by lift(more than 25kg is charged by weight)
    4. 330 euros a year

Anyway, because I've had problems with Greyhound in the past year, I rang Thornton's today and switched. It's 50 euros a year+pay per lift(max 50kg).

• Advertisement

Fifix - thanks for that info! The g/hound charge system is even more confusing than I thought. Looks like you got a "personal " plan"!. Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm switching from Greyhound tomorrow and I can't wait!!!! They have missed two black bin collections now and despite the fact I have rung 8 times my fly filled overflowing bin has still not been collected. I will be leaving 30 quid on my account but it is worth it to be done with them.

I'm switching from Greyhound tomorrow and I can't wait!!!! They have missed two black bin collections now and despite the fact I have rung 8 times my fly filled overflowing bin has still not been collected. I will be leaving 30 quid on my account but it is worth it to be done with them.

To date we haven't had any problems with Greyhound. Your problem might be to do with the team that collects your bin. My main problem was the circular letter they posted out and the big hike in charges, but they all seem to be lined up together price-wise for my requirements so we stayed with them. Hope you get fixed up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 top40

South Dublin, Tallaght

I was also offered 4 plans:
    1. 60 euros+pay by weight
    2. 29 euros a month
    3. 60 euros+pay by lift(more than 25kg is charged by weight)
    4. 330 euros a year

On talking to them this morning, they tried there best to suggest that the €29 a month plan was the best for me. We only paid €160 in total last year. SO I THINK NOT...

Nappies are gone for us now, so will be shopping around. Talked to 3 people in greyhound this morning, last guy made me feel like a little ****

Signed up for Thorntons yesterday. Will be cancelling Greyhound 5 minutes after my bin is collected next Thursday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

In Rathmines:

I was offered 4 plans and they put me in Plan 1 as my best option:

Plan 1, Pay per lift
    Pay per lift, 59.95 service charge, 6.50 black, 3.60 Brown, max weights apply, black bin over 25kgs charged at .33c per kili, brown bin over 20kgs changed ar .24 per kg

Plan 2 Pay per month
    No annual service charge. 19 per month for Black + Green collections,+ 4 extra for brown. No weight restrictions

Plan 3 Annual Fixed
    250 annual fee payable in 1 lump sum, 229.20 if before end of Nov. All 3 bins, No weight limits.

Plan 4 Pay by weight
    100 annual service charge.
    Black bin charged at .26c per Kg. Brown bin charged at .19c per kg.
    No Lift fees

I'm very confused which would be best ...

bob11 wrote: »
    I'm very confused which would be best ...

It's very much dependent on your usage pattern. Look at your online log from last year and work out what would suit you best

My mother, who lives in North Dublin, had a fee waiver (because she's a widow) with DCC before they handed over to Greyhound. The waiver is meant to run out at the end of this year. She got a letter from Greyhound that said that they have decided not to terminate the waiver scheme.

Then it outlined her new Greyhound Waiver Plan:
    49.95 a year+ pay per lift!!!!

I rang them up saying there must be some mistake there - what about the waiver?

They said the Greyhound Waiver Plan meant they were charging her 49.95 instead of 59.95....what a joke! She has no other options cos theres no other bin companies collecting in her area.......

At some stage I can see neighbours who know each other very well combining their waste to try to save money. But we all know they will just keep increasing the prices. What a bloody country!

• Advertisement

Heard a rumour that G/H are phoning deserters ! with an offer to come back. No annual charge (which has of course been paid to the new company) and match the lift charges of the new company. A bit late!

Advertisement