Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Learning Degree options

Options
  • 04-09-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

I'm working in IT for the past 15 years without any significant qualification (diploma/degree). Back in 1999 I started an oscail distance learning course with DCU but after completing the introduction module, my work situation changed meaning I hadn't time to continue with the actual course.

Fast forward to 2012 and I again want to start some sort of distance learning course. After reading some posts here (and looking at the overall university rankings) I'm beginning to think DCU is not a good option. Some people mentioned the open university and ranked it above DCU's oscail course.

Before I began working in IT I completed 2 City & Guilds certificates in programming which maybe a UK institute would give me some credit for or maybe not.

I'd be interested to hear any suggestions/advice from any distance learning boardsies :-)

Thx
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 atago

I have the diploma in this course. The course is not designed to make you a 'techie' and given you have 15 years experience in I.T. I am not exactly sure what you would get out of it if you intend to stay in hands on roles. You could pick up things that sometimes 'techies' lack. Report writing/formal maths, some management tools/techniques etc. and so it might be a good way to pick up right lingo for management roles.

I heard criticism in the past from techies that the communications technology stream tended to date quickly. The few compulsory lab sessions were too few to amount to any real competence in the lab for non-techies like me. I imagine they had to have them for accreditation purposes. I believe they are issuing some sort electronics kit to this years students.

Beyond the computing, management science and Communications tech streams there is a human science stream which is basically the psychological/philosophical part of the course. They have put in more relevant content in recent years. Parts of it read a bit like an organisational behaviour course from a business degree but with a technology perspective.

From my non-techie perspective I learned a lot of the maths that I should have learned at school and got an overview of computing and communications technology that I would not have known. As one of my tutors indicated to me once it's not going to make me a programmer but it will stop the I.T. dept spoofing you.

From a your techie point of view it might be a good way to 'formalise' your knowledge and it looks OK on the CV. There is real work involved (3 assignments a year per module) but I have usually found the tutor support and feedback pretty good.

You might get exemption with your C & G.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Hibernia College have just launched two new online degree programmes in IT with qualifications from the University of London.
    One is IT and computing and the other is more gaming/design oriented.

Tempted to do one of them myself. Would anyone have any feedback on them?

http://hiberniacollege.com/courses/b-sc-in-computing-and-information-systems/

http://hiberniacollege.com/courses/b-sc-in-creative-computing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

aw wrote: »
    Hibernia College have just launched two new online degree programmes in IT with qualifications from the University of London.
    One is IT and computing and the other is more gaming/design oriented.

Tempted to do one of them myself. Would anyone have any feedback on them?

http://hiberniacollege.com/courses/b-sc-in-computing-and-information-systems/

http://hiberniacollege.com/courses/b-sc-in-creative-computing/

Why would you pay those fees to hibernia
    The cost of the B.Sc. in Computing & Information Systems programme is €4,980 per year.

when you could just do it directly with the University of London with a TOTAL cost for the BSc of £ 4,518?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭MacBoogerBalls

As it happens there is a Webinar this evening.
    As previously mentioned, please note that we are holding an Undergraduate webinar on Tuesday, 8th January at 7pm about the BSc programmes in Business, Management and Computing awarded by the University of London.
    If you have not already registered for this webinar, you could do so at: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/854811670

Full details on the programmes could be found on www.hiberniacollege.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement