Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

• 04-09-2012 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/real-ira-terrorist-shot-dead-in-hail-of-bullets-3217977.htm
    A LEADING Real IRA terrorist was shot in the head as he lay injured on a Dublin street yesterday afternoon.
    The victim, 32-year-old Alan Ryan, was a senior dissident republican in the capital and he had built up a long list of enemies.
    He had been under Garda Special Branch surveillance since he was first arrested by armed officers at a Real IRA training camp and arms bunker at Herbertstown, Stamullen, Co Meath, in October 1999 while only a teenager.
    He was gunned down yesterday while walking with a friend on the quiet Grange Lodge Avenue, Clongriffin, on the northside of the capital, shortly after 3.30pm.
    Two gunmen approached Ryan and his friend, Sligo man Alan Neilis, who is a member of the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, a dissident political grouping.
    Both men were hit and fell to the ground as one of the attackers opened fire.
    The gunman then walked up to Ryan as he lay on the road and shot him in the head.
    Mr Neilis was injured in the legs. Both men were rushed to Beaumont hospital, where Ryan was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.
    Mr Neilis later underwent treatment for leg wounds and his condition was described as serious.
    The attackers, meanwhile, made their escape in a silver Volvo car, which was found burnt out shortly afterwards at the Hole in the Wall Road.
    Both areas were immediately sealed off by gardai for a forensic examination.
    Ryan became a senior figure in the Real IRA over the past decade and took charge of a group that was largely based around his home area of Donaghmede, where he lived at Grange Abbey Drive, although he also had an address in Co Carlow.
    He became involved in faction fighting within the terrorist group and was involved in a serious dispute with the Real IRA's current leader in Dublin, a Cork man living in Tallaght.
    But gardai believe his killers were likely to have been hired by one of the many crime gangs that had come into conflict with Ryan over the past few years.
    Ryan ran a big extortion and intimidation racket, focusing on pubs, clubs and other premises around Dublin while he also sought to take a slice of the profits built up by crime gangs from drug-trafficking and robberies.
    His group also raised funds through providing door security and bouncers for pubs and clubs, resulting in a number of shootings as they clashed with rival criminals.
    Gardai are satisfied that over 90pc of the "fund-raising" carried out by the Donaghmede group ended up in their own pockets, with the rest handed over to the Real IRA.
    The terrorist faction is also believed by gardai to have been responsible for the murder of Sean Winters, who was gunned down in Portmarnock, Co Dublin.
    Ryan played a major role in demonstrations around Dublin city centre last year in protest against the visit of Queen Elizabeth of England.
    But gardai regarded him mainly as a criminal who used his affiliation to the dissident republican group as a cover for his activities.
    Clash
    One senior anti-terrorist officer said last night: "Ryan had a list of enemies that would fill up a page of a newspaper.
    "At some stage over the past few years, he managed to clash with most of the big crime gangs around the city while at the same time falling out with many of his former colleagues in the Real IRA", he added.
    The group has four "commanders" based in Belfast, Derry, the Louth Armagh border and Dublin.
    Last night, gardai appealed to anybody who spotted people acting suspiciously or driving around in a silver Volvo car, in the Grange Lodge or Hole in the Wall road areas to contact them at Coolock station at 01 6664200, or on the confidential line, at 1800 666111.
    Seems to be a vicious circle now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Good riddance.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

+1 on the good riddance. As long as all the scum are only killing each other, you won't find me objecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Mafia style thugs wrapped in a tricolour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No loss. and agree with first few posts.

These people dont give 2 ****s about their country.

I remember the love Ulster Parades where these scum were singing the National anthem and with their Tri Colour, and there they were stealing from Irish business and burning Irish Cars.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No loss, an asshole who lived by the gun dies by the gun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

careful now. Stating good riddance and that sort of thing would suggest you are ok with the fact someone was murdered and if other threads on After Hours about certain other countries are to go by, that's unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No loss. and agree with first few posts.

These people dont give 2 ****s about their country.

I remember the love Ulster Parades where these scum were singing the National anthem and with their Tri Colour, and there they were stealing from Irish business and burning Irish Cars.:rolleyes:

To these people, if you own a business or a car you are a west Brit. You are not a real Irish person unless you come from a working class area, hate Britain and wear a Scottish football Jersey.

This is there logic. In years to come people will be asking why we didn't put them in a mental hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Andy!! wrote: »
    +1 on the good riddance. As long as all the scum are only killing each other, you won't find me objecting.

I agree with the 'no loss' sentiment, but what do you think happens when one of these groups of criminals wipes out all the others? They move on to the general public and anyone who gets in their way, they don't suddenly go all 'right we've killed all our competition, now it's peace, love, and kittens all round!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

To these people, if you own a business or a car you are a west Brit. You are not a real Irish person unless you come from a working class area, hate Britain and wear a Scottish football Jersey.

This is there logic. In years to come people will be asking why we didn't put them in a mental hospital.

Can you explain who are these people you are referring to as I would not want to be picking you up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

realies wrote: »

Can you explain who are these people you are referring to as I would not want to be picking you up wrong.

Republican loons

• Advertisement

Sounds like he was under some excellent surveillance by the branch.

Was there not a poster on here last week saying something like this was going to happen,re Criminal action force and paramilitaries, think he got banned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did anyone know this fella?

Like, other than what anonymous garda "sources" tell the local rags?

Bambi wrote: »
    Did anyone know this fella?

Like, other than what anonymous garda "sources" tell the local rags?

No thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You live by the sword .................

The problem facing the garda and general public is what to do about the expected backlash from this murder,Its alright saying :let them at it and as long as they just kill each other:but with out a doubt innocent people will get caught up in it,Suppose one would ask that if he was under constant guard surveillance by the special detective unit how where two gunmen able to lay in wait for him ? Just a question not a criticism.

Once again people believe what's in the Sunday world and the herald,without any facts.

It seems he was responsible for many drug dealers around the area ceasing their activities.

Anyway drug dealers probably murdered him and people are happy.

Sense this post none of makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 The fighter

Yes I know Alan around 10 years I all ways had great laugh with him very funny man but I did not agree with what he choose as his life style and he lost real friends over it he was told many a time this would happen that no one is untouchable but would never listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sense this post none of makes.
    Eh...it makes perfect sense actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I hate when circles turn vicious !

• Advertisement

Once again people believe what's in the Sunday world and the herald,without any facts.

It seems he was responsible for many drug dealers around the area ceasing their activities.

Anyway drug dealers probably murdered him and people are happy.

How did you know drug dealers murdered him ? There is a vicious infighting and feud with in the the numerous republican paramilitary groups for the past year or so,My opinion that it was one of his own that set him up and/or killed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yes I know Alan around 10 years I all ways had great laugh with him very funny man but I did not agree with what he choose as his life style and he lost real friends over it he was told many a time this would happen that no one is untouchable but would never listen
    I don't agree with the good riddance statements because he is someone's brother/son/father and they will be hurting right now.
    Mind you, if the stories about this guy are even half true, he was never going to get his old age pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 The fighter

The gang all ready know who did it

Eh...it makes perfect sense actually

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well at least they cant blame the Queen on this

The gang all ready know who did it

Who was it any hints ? Was it gangland or some of his own ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I see the star have photos of his dead body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quick search, seems like this incident was inevitable, should have happened 4 months ago.
    http://mafiatoday.com/general-breaking-news/new-mr-big-calls-off-hit-on-rira-mobster/

Location, groups and ages all match up.

All his mates were on 104 last night.
    Their main defence for the man was he was a staunch republican.:pac:
    A gentleman they said.
    Was concerned about drugs they said.
    Was setup by Paul Williams and the Garda they said.

No sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I Was VB wrote: »

Whats vicious about it? Leave the animals to wipe themselves out. Happy days.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I Was VB wrote: »

Whats vicious about it? Leave the animals to wipe themselves out. Happy days.
    And when innocent people get killed,I suppose its ok once their wiping each other out,such a naive opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The man was also a notorious ladies man, it's unlikely but not impossible, that some jilted lover could've knocked him off! Although to be fair, he had a line of enemies as long as Schlindlers List. Frightening that it can happen in daylight as the schools start back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Republican loons

These groups are not republican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Has anyone ever seen the film Gangster No1??

Is it worth seeing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

realies wrote: »
    The problem facing the garda and general public is what to do about the expected backlash from this murder,Its alright saying :let them at it and as long as they just kill each other:but with out a doubt innocent people will get caught up in it,Suppose one would ask that if he was under constant guard surveillance by the special detective unit how where two gunmen able to lay in wait for him ? Just a question not a criticism.

Because the gardai were watching and following the deceased, not the executioners? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

seamus wrote: »
    Quick search, seems like this incident was inevitable, should have happened 4 months ago.
    http://mafiatoday.com/general-breaking-news/new-mr-big-calls-off-hit-on-rira-mobster/

Thanks for that link, hours of reading fun ahead.

Dont want to romanticize this crap but it makes for interesting reading.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I agree with the 'no loss' sentiment, but what do you think happens when one of these groups of criminals wipes out all the others? They move on to the general public and anyone who gets in their way, they don't suddenly go all 'right we've killed all our competition, now it's peace, love, and kittens all round!!'

No... not really... considering they aren't killing for the fun of it in this instance, they are killing for revenge/gain. Different motives. If they, theoretically, managed to kill everyone they had a problem with, they would be on top of their business and yes, in some twisted way, be satisfied I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well at least they cant blame the Queen on this

Was the Queen ever to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

They'd describe themselves as such though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm read tis terrible news through a veritable vale of tears.

• Advertisement

Red_Wake wrote: »
    They'd describe themselves as such though.

Yer mans pals last night said he was a member of the 32CSM, and they showed their distaste for SF at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Republican loons

Marian Price seems to think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

seamus wrote: »

donaghmede is not baldoyle. he wasnt married. didnt have a child afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Yer mans pals last night said he was a member of the 32CSM, and they showed their distaste for SF at the same time.

Prob don't think SF are extreme enough, tbf.

I can't believe the star published pictures of his dead body,I thought they couldn't do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

read about this earlier today. all i could think is 'jaysis i must be getting really old if a senior republican is younger than me'

another scumbag using the front of republicanism to legitimise his actions.

read about this earlier today. all i could think is 'jaysis i must be getting really old if a senior republican is younger than me'

another scumbag using the front of republicanism to legitimise his actions.

And you're coming to this opinion from reading the herald is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A terrorist killed, you say? One down, many to go. And I don't care what political party/dogma/religion they represent, they have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I actually think its very sad, the man had a family that loved him,and from what I've heard about him only the people that didnt know him personally had bad things to say , his death has affected alot of people, how would most of you like to hear ''good riddance'' if you lost a family member or friend? by alot of people that didnt know him? , I didnt know him personally but from what I hear about him he wasnt half as bad as the media / druggies made him out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Davidth88 wrote: »
    You live by the sword .................

You lust after his knife.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement