Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Donaghmedegirl

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Alan Ryan lived two lives. On one hand he would claim to be a republican.he courageously protested at the dail on budget day for the Irish people ( how many law abiding citizens were there )he despised drugs and the dealers.if anybody in the donaghmede community had a problem Alan would do what he could to help you no matter if he knew you or not. He protested the length and breath of this country for political prisoners like Marian price he believed in a free Ireland ( which he had a right to like every woman man and child in this country does ) I personally couldn't care less if d 6 counties were ours or not. On the second hand of Alan he claimed to push drug dealers out but in doing that he lined his greedy pockets with there money. Money that was made selling poison in our community he would then use that money to live a lavish lifestyle he may aswell of been dealing the drugs. I believe Alan honestly thought by 'taxing' the drug dealers he was doing good in a way he was d small time dealers were put out of business but Alan cant controll the big drug traffickers of Ireland they have just as much man power more money and guns to do what they want they prob paid Alan not because they were intimidated but because he was a fly that wouldn't go away. Alan didn't intimidate ordinary people working 9 till 5 jobs he was nothing but an ordinary donaghmede man to them bu for the business who he intimidated bullied an d harassed ask them why he did??? No1s innocent not Alan nor the business men and drug dealers he stole from. Alan in the end was a dangerous man but not to the ordinary person he was dangerous when comes to a drug dealer crossing him but he couldn't take them all on that's why he died.

Sounds like a classic case of the irish happily looking the other way when they themselves are looked after.
    I am in no way looking the other way I'm stating facts and I am in no way defending Alan Ryan I applaud him for protesting at the dail on budget day bu I have no respect for a man who claims to be pushing drug dealers out by taking their muny and living a lavish lifestyle as I said he may aswell of been selling drugs himself as I said he was dangerous but not to normal people like you and me but to drug dealers who themselves are dangerous scumbags. And by no means have I ever needed help from Alan Ryan have never seeked help or wanted help from him but whether you want to hear it or not he had split personalities as I said he lived two lives most people knew Alan as a nice guy very few in his circle knew him as a dangerous cold blooded killer

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Opie

Alan Ryan lived two lives. On one hand he would claim to be a republican.he courageously protested at the dail on budget day for the Irish people ( how many law abiding citizens were there )he despised drugs and the dealers.if anybody in the donaghmede community had a problem Alan would do what he could to help you no matter if he knew you or not. He protested the length and breath of this country for political prisoners like Marian price he believed in a free Ireland ( which he had a right to like every woman man and child in this country does ) I personally couldn't care less if d 6 counties were ours or not. On the second hand of Alan he claimed to push drug dealers out but in doing that he lined his greedy pockets with there money. Money that was made selling poison in our community he would then use that money to live a lavish lifestyle he may aswell of been dealing the drugs. I believe Alan honestly thought by 'taxing' the drug dealers he was doing good in a way he was d small time dealers were put out of business but Alan cant controll the big drug traffickers of Ireland they have just as much man power more money and guns to do what they want they prob paid Alan not because they were intimidated but because he was a fly that wouldn't go away. Alan didn't intimidate ordinary people working 9 till 5 jobs he was nothing but an ordinary donaghmede man to them bu for the business who he intimidated bullied an d harassed ask them why he did??? No1s innocent not Alan nor the business men and drug dealers he stole from. Alan in the end was a dangerous man but not to the ordinary person he was dangerous when comes to a drug dealer crossing him but he couldn't take them all on that's why he died.

This, and your other posts, are the most sensible offerings in the entire thread. Clearly you know how it is in Donaghmede, and can see why some people from that area are sticking up for him, while at the same time not accepting the other stuff he may have done from a criminal point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I am in no way looking the other way I'm stating facts and I am in no way defending Alan Ryan I applaud him for protesting at the dail on budget day bu I have no respect for a man who claims to be pushing drug dealers out by taking their muny and living a lavish lifestyle as I said he may aswell of been selling drugs himself as I said he was dangerous but not to normal people like you and me but to drug dealers who themselves are dangerous scumbags. And by no means have I ever needed help from Alan Ryan have never seeked help or wanted help from him but whether you want to hear it or not he had split personalities as I said he lived two lives most people knew Alan as a nice guy very few in his circle knew him as a dangerous cold blooded killer

Maybe yourself and the rest of his apologists can get together and form a support club.

Opie wrote: »

This, and your other posts, are the most sensible offerings in the entire thread. Clearly you know how it is in Donaghmede, and can see why some people from that area are sticking up for him, while at the same time not accepting the other stuff he may have done from a criminal point of view.
    Most people in donaghmede had respect for Alan for his protesting and the help he have to people in the community and that's why people are sticking up for him they are not part of his inner close circle who know the Alan who could have a drug dealer killed for not paying their so called 'taxes' a lot of people in the area are horrified of what the Papers are printing about him and don't believe it because they knew this guy as lovable character but as they say there is no smoke without fire here papers can't just make this stuff up I'm sure their legal teams and most of all their accountants would be telling them that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Most people in donaghmede had respect for Alan for his protesting and the help he have to people in the community and that's why people are sticking up for him they are not part of his inner close circle who know the Alan who could have a drug dealer killed for not paying their so called 'taxes' a lot of people in the area are horrified of what the Papers are printing about him and don't believe it because they knew this guy as lovable character but as they say there is no smoke without fire here papers can't just make this stuff up I'm sure their legal teams and most of all their accountants would be telling them that
    You can't defame the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This has become quite the scumbag appreciation thread.

Red_Wake wrote: »

Maybe yourself and the rest of his apologists can get together and form a support club.
    Do you actually know how to read when and where in that massage did I apologise for ****ing Alan Ryan either you can't read or you don't get out of the house much . As I said ( maybe get mammy to read this out for you ) Alan Ryan had two lives on one he CLAIMED to be a republican on the other he was a cold blooded killer those are facts not apologys facts about a man you don't know

You can't defame the dead.
    This stuff was written about Alan on news websites and papers long before he died pal . Let me guess from your name you are a Celtic scarf wearing idiot who probably hasn't a clue about his Irish history just that the Brits own 6 counties and ya don't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

This stuff was written about Alan on news websites and papers long before he died pal . Let me guess from your name you are a Celtic scarf wearing idiot who probably hasn't a clue about his Irish history just that the Brits own 6 counties and ya don't like it

Easy there now, he's our Fenian Army and we enjoy his rambling monologue's.

• Advertisement

Ha, I don't have a scarf.

You can't defame the dead so they don't exactly have to worry about legal implications do they?

Simple, valid point. No need to lose the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

You can't defame the dead so they don't exactly have to worry about legal implications do they?
    You managed to quote the part of the post where she pointed out that they published this stuff about him before he died apparently without realising what that means... :confused:

And considering I've said that those who killed him are probably as bad as their victim I'm hardly cheerleadering him.

I'm just not dancing on his grave and saluting the scumbags who did it.

You managed to quote the part of the post where she pointed out that they published this stuff about him before he died apparently without realising what that means... :confused:
    Read what I originally said, and what it was in response to, ie people horrified about whats been in the papers in recent days, wouldnt be printed if it wasnt true because lawyers wouldnt let them, I was pointing out a legal reality and she went off on one.

And considering I've said that those who killed him are probably as bad as their victim I'm hardly cheerleadering him.

I'm just not dancing on his grave and saluting the scumbags who did it.
    I don't salute anybody who kills a man in cold blood nobody deserves to die like that but Alan WAS involved in murders he was arested as a suspect In the murder of Sean winters the Garda as usual who couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery didn't have enough evidence to charge him if you live by the gun expect to die by it whether or not I or you believe that is wrong

Read what I originally said, and what it was in response to, ie people horrified about whats been in the papers in recent days, wouldnt be printed if it wasnt true because lawyers wouldnt let them, I was pointing out a legal reality and she went off on one.
    Everything that was printed about Alan in the last couple of days has been printed in the Sunday world an news of the world over the past 3 years it's just that because he was killed its been on the front page of every newspaper and people are horrified by the stuff they are printing because maybe they didn't read it before or chose not to believe it then aswell

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I can't believe that there are knackers/RA heads posting in this thread trying to justify this scumbags actions. And in particular a girl. I guess this would explain how murderers like Alan Ryan ended up having kids, dumb bitches who were excited by his lifestyle.

This is what's wrong with society.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MR.NORTHDUBLIN

BLAH BLAH he was a dick tell the truth iv had dealings with the dick

I don't salute anybody who kills a man in cold blood nobody deserves to die like that but Alan WAS involved in murders he was arested as a suspect In the murder of Sean winters the Garda as usual who couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery didn't have enough evidence to charge him if you live by the gun expect to die by it whether or not I or you believe that is wrong

Well at least you didn't just register here to blow smoke up his dead hole.
    And for that I salute you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I can't believe that there are knackers/RA heads posting in this thread trying to justify this scumbags actions. And in particular a girl. I guess this would explain how murderers like Alan Ryan ended up having kids, dumb bitches who were excited by his lifestyle.

There's a bit more to it than just that. :P

Maybe ya should go back an read all my posts on the last 3 pages and you will see that nowhere did I justify Alan (scumbag)Ryan's actions I merely portrayed the man that I knew exactly as I knew him a man who led two lives on one a claimed republician who many people in our area respected him as and on the other a cold blooded killer

• Advertisement

Go back and read all my posts after that you will see I called him much more than a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MR.NORTHDUBLIN

Go back and read all my posts after that you will see I called him much more than a dick

U must be one of the faithful followers anyone I no around has nothing good to say about the mug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

So he led two lives? One as a good guy and one as a bad guy? Are you sticking up for him or not? Sorry I'm finding this all quite hard to follow.

Have to say I'm surprised at the support the deceased is getting though, I've only read a few articles in the paper since the shooting and he didn't seem like a nice fellow at all at all. Damn papers with their agendas

U must be one of the faithful followers anyone I no around has nothing good to say about the mug
    Hahaha u obviously didn't read all my posts I am in no way an Alan Ryan follower I merely just explained why people in donaghmede I for one not one of them respected Alan Ryan the people who respected him new him as the man that protested on budget day an had his political beliefs I personally don't have any views on politics. They didn't no the Alan Ryan who was a killer and I won't get on here and justify him being that either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

The twat was a shooter and thought he was the big man and was untouchable he got shot because he was a theif like the rest of them.

IRA my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Last time I saw 'Black Flags' in Dublin, and near me, was 30 years ago.
    The hunger strikers.
    Regardless of where you stand on the political divide, Bobby Sands, and the other strikers were a catalyst for change. Change came at a slow enough pace, but a change came.

I genuinely believe that (and wouldn't normally lean that direction).

To have the poles of Dublin adorned with the same tribute today, on the death of this man, is an affront to the black flag and what it signified, then.

C

So he led two lives? One as a good guy and one as a bad guy? Are you sticking up for him or not? Sorry I'm finding this all quite hard to follow.

Have to say I'm surprised at the support the deceased is getting though, I've only read a few articles in the paper since the shooting and he didn't seem like a nice fellow at all at all. Damn papers with their agendas
    I'm not sticking up for Alan I was explaining why people stick up for him because a lot of people in donaghmede only knew him as the guy the guy who went out and protested against the governement on budget day an I no he helped people in the community these people are not apart of Alan's close circle they don't no him as a killer. Scumbag who was just as bad as the drug dealers who he went up against the problem with the papers is they don't portray the good in people like Alan this leads to people who didn't know him like yourself not understanding why people are sticking up for him it's because they new him as the good guy not the bad guy the rest of the nation knows him as. Put yourself in a scenario if a member in your family or close circle or even a guy ya new dat as him to been a good guy committed a crime beyond your belief you will then see where these people who are sticking up for him are coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

That doesnt sell papers.

Also they are not two different people. Overall he was a bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

whats with people on this thread and Celtic? did Neil Lennon piss in all your cornflakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

whats with people on this thread and Celtic? did Neil Lennon piss in all your cornflakes?
    No, but he's ginger, reason enough to be hated. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Maybe ya should go back an read all my posts on the last 3 pages and you will see that nowhere did I justify Alan (scumbag)Ryan's actions I merely portrayed the man that I knew exactly as I knew him a man who led two lives on one a claimed republician who many people in our area respected him as and on the other a cold blooded killer

Just because he portrayed himself as some kind of Robin Hood character to thick, ignorant, uneducated knackers who were too thick to cop to it, doesn't mean he was anything else.

With all due respect darling, anyone who respected him is a fcuking scumbag. So to are anyone who attempts to justify other people respecting him.

Just because he portrayed himself as some kind of Robin Hood character to thick, ignorant, uneducated knackers who were too thick to cop to it, doesn't mean he was anything else.

With all due respect darling, anyone who respected him is a fcuking scumbag. So to are anyone who attempts to justify other people respecting him.
    Listen hear DARLING read the posts exactly as there wrote some people who knew Alan were not uneducated knackers they are respectable people from respectable families who had they Same political beliefs as him. Iwas just explaining to people who didn't understand why people where sticking up for him as to why they are I am no scumbag and im also highly educated I didn't have any respect for the crimes Alan committed and I'm not justifying people for sticking up for him I'm using my intelligence to explain to people like you who haven't got a clue about what goes on outside their computer and the front pages of their paper that some people who knew Alan and are sticking up for Alan genuinely don't believe him to be the cold blooded killer he was. When you write back come with a bit more intelligence on the matter read all my posts and then give your view in no way did I portray Alan as a robin hood character or justify the fact people liked him.

blue4ever wrote: »
    Last time I saw 'Black Flags' in Dublin, and near me, was 30 years ago.
    The hunger strikers.
    Regardless of where you stand on the political divide, Bobby Sands, and the other strikers were a catalyst for change. Change came at a slow enough pace, but a change came.

I genuinely believe that (and wouldn't normally lean that direction).

To have the poles of Dublin adorned with the same tribute today, on the death of this man, is an affront to the black flag and what it signified, then.

C
    I totally agree he claimed not to be apart of any Ira faction but yet all arrangements for his funeral ie the flags and gun shots as amark of respect on Tuesday evening all lea to an Ira funeral that's what they do when burying one of their own

That doesnt sell papers.

Also they are not two different people. Overall he was a bad guy.
    I'm not saying he want a bad guy but you have to understand that the people who knew him genuinely think that the papers are making up lies about him because they didn't see that side of him. I'm putting myself outside the box and seeing both sides yes he was a cold blooded killer but to the many people he was a nice guy the same as Paul Williams said on fm104 their are many criminals who were love by the people that new them it doesn't change the fact that people like us think he was scum I'm jus saying there was tow sides to Alan and you could say there re two sides to every criminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

I totally agree he claimed not to be apart of any Ira faction but yet all arrangements for his funeral ie the flags and gun shots as amark of respect on Tuesday evening all lea to an Ira funeral that's what they do when burying one of their own

In all fairness no one admits to being a member of the IRA, unless they want to spend some time in prison.

Even Gerry Adams will never, ever admit to it.

In all fairness no one admits to being a member of the IRA, unless they want to spend some time in prison.

Yeah nobody does admit to it but this is a guy who has people sticking up for him on radio stations who knew him claiming he wasn't apart of any Ira faction but yet they are allowing a full on paramilitary funeral to happen thats what I meant by it sorry
    Didn't explain myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Listen hear DARLING read the posts exactly as there wrote some people who knew Alan were not uneducated knackers they are respectable people from respectable families who had they Same political beliefs as him. Iwas just explaining to people who didn't understand why people where sticking up for him as to why they are I am no scumbag and im also highly educated I didn't have any respect for the crimes Alan committed and I'm not justifying people for sticking up for him I'm using my intelligence to explain to people like you who haven't got a clue about what goes on outside their computer and the front pages of their paper that some people who knew Alan and are sticking up for Alan genuinely don't believe him to be the cold blooded killer he was. When you write back come with a bit more intelligence on the matter read all my posts and then give your view in no way did I portray Alan as a robin hood character or justify the fact people liked him.

Most of us do understand exactly what you are saying,
    I would imagine some people have difficulty accepting that there are people who believe that Alan Ryan's behaviour was appropriate, by the way he is being described as some sort of pillar in the Donaghmede community.
    Its difficult to believe that you could turn to him as some of 'Mr Fix it' or that a wider group regard him as a benign influence in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if he actually took drugs himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

So highly educated is Donaghmedegirl that she fails to see the difference between where and were and also the lack of full stops is quite alarming.

If this is highly educated the knacker scumbags must be in some state god love them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

What I want to know is how come there wasnt as much uproar when Liam Kenny a member of the CIRA supposedly, was murdered last summer in very similar circumstances.

There is so many details involved in these things, its actually impossible to follow. Read a Sunday World Article and they will mention 20 different names and aliases all connected in some manner.

mattjack wrote: »

Most of us do understand exactly what you are saying,
    I would imagine some people have difficulty accepting that there are people who believe that Alan Ryan's behaviour was appropriate, by the way he is being described as some sort of pillar in the Donaghmede community.
    Its difficult to believe that you could turn to him as some of 'Mr Fix it' or that a wider group regard him as a benign influence in the community.
    people are portraying Alan as a donaghmede hero thats far from the truth but there are people in the area who had called on Alan for help and he didn't know them. It is hard to believe that people would think Alan was mr fix it but to the people who knew him and the people he helped he was seen as just that .some people see the good before the bad I always say the bad always out weighs the good there always be a side to every criminal that the people around them love

What I want to know is how come there wasnt as much uproar when Liam Kenny a member of the CIRA supposedly, was murdered last summer in very similar circumstances.

There is so many details involved in these things, its actually impossible to follow. Read a Sunday World Article and they will mention 20 different names and aliases all connected in some manner.
    I have never heard of Liam Kenny I will read up on it to be honest every criminal that dies in these circumstances should get the front page of every news paper to themselves to show young boys what not to do with their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

Andy!! wrote: »
    +1 on the good riddance. As long as all the scum are only killing each other, you won't find me objecting.

the problem is that innocent people get caught in the cross fire and always will

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

People keep mentioning how the papers are all the truth. All of it is not truth much of its is bull****. Dangerous bull****, especially that peddled by Paul Williams, his ilk and especially the Evening Herald.

I've read several articles today, and they seem to be to be linking the killers to this crime like a soccer player is linked to a transfer. I mean they get sources from criminals themselves with an agenda.

The Herald claimed last year AR was in the CIRA. Bull****, at least get it right. And look what this article claims....
    Also being examined as a possible motive was a dispute, mainly between Mr Kenny's Blanchardstown associate and members of another dissident group, the Real IRA, including some living in Donaghmede.

This dispute centred over control of the "doors" at pubs and clubs in west Dublin.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murder-victim-was-suspected-of-key-role-in-continuity-ira-2671056.html

As the famous saying goes.

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

So highly educated is Donaghmedegirl that she fails to see the difference between where and were and also the lack of full stops is quite alarming.

If this is highly educated the knacker scumbags must be in some state god love them.
    Oh so highly educated people can't be dyslexic no Read up on dyslexia and how it effects young girls and boys throughout their lives and then think before you jump on a computer and correct peoples grammar when you don't know their backround oh and by the way Steve jobs CEO of apple was dyslexic and highly educated he didn't do too bad did he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Northside....Northside

The great great shopping centre

The fact is the people like myself who live in donaghmede and knew the criminals who die on our communities streets we all wonder when's the next shooting going to be and who will it be because it's no shock to us anymore we have had a man stabbed to death 3 people shot dead and a number of attempted shootings in the last couple of years our community is a good one our area is an older area with many families living here for over 40 years these criminals are destroying the reputation of the people in our area I can bet most people living in Ireland reading the newspapers are saying what scum must live there when that's not the case for 99 % of families the 1% of vermian who we have to call our neighbours whether we like it or not don't actually cause any trouble in donaghmede they draw their enemies to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    As far as I know he didn't even drink.

fast-forward to 6 minutes and see Adams discuss it, it's a wrong assumption to make that every SF politician and member were members of the IRA.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    No, from what Ive heard he lost a family member to drugs and wouldnt take them, or even drink

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Must not have posted earlier.

What favours did this guy do for the locals that strangers would approach him for help?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement