Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Goodness me , reading some of this thread you would think the deceased was some sort of community leader , who's only crime was helping old women across the street.

If he truly wanted to change things , he had a good local( ish ) example in the likes of Tony Gregory , as far as I know he was never involved/linked with extortion etc , but he truly worked for his community.

For the local area to have black flags/ tricolours this must be sickening to the local law abiding residents and also quite intimidating.

If he wasn't linked to crime/ criminals then why have people spoken people being scared to take these down ?

As for this nonsense of the ' Real ' IRA or whatever they want to call themselves this week having shows of strength like guns being discharged and these flags and people talking like this is legitimate ( ie phrases like ' one of their own ' etc ) , sickening , this is something that belongs in another era , and possibly in another part of these Isles .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Donaghmedegirl

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Goodness me , reading some of this thread you would think the deceased was some sort of community leader , who's only crime was helping old women across the street.

If he truly wanted to change things , he had a good local( ish ) example in the likes of Tony Gregory , as far as I know he was never involved/linked with extortion etc , but he truly worked for his community.

For the local area to have black flags/ tricolours this must be sickening to the local law abiding residents and also quite intimidating.

If he wasn't linked to crime/ criminals then why have people spoken people being scared to take these down ?

As for this nonsense of the ' Real ' IRA or whatever they want to call themselves this week having shows of strength like guns being discharged and these flags and people talking like this is legitimate ( ie phrases like ' one of their own ' etc ) , sickening , this is something that belongs in another era , and possibly in another part of these Isles .
    I wasn't saying he is a community leader that's what some people saw him as i for one if I could ask him the question now is why take money off drugs gangs and say it was to push them out of your community and butthen line your greedy pockets with it. The flags is laughable I'm not intimidated by it because I said we are not shocked anymore by the actions of criminals in our community there are many people that want to take them down and I'm sure would be frightened to do it what scares them is the thought of the letters IRA no matter if it's nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

people are portraying Alan as a donaghmede hero thats far from the truth but there are people in the area who had called on Alan for help and he didn't know them. It is hard to believe that people would think Alan was mr fix it but to the people who knew him and the people he helped he was seen as just that .some people see the good before the bad I always say the bad always out weighs the good there always be a side to every criminal that the people around them love

Your making Donaghmede out to be a small area where everyone knows each other, it is quite a vast area where the majority would have no interaction with each other never mind some criminal.

Based on what you have said i doubt you knew AR in any shape or form, stop being a spokesperson for Donaghmede as you are not qaulified to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Listen hear DARLING read the posts exactly as there wrote some people who knew Alan were not uneducated knackers they are respectable people from respectable families who had they Same political beliefs as him. Iwas just explaining to people who didn't understand why people where sticking up for him as to why they are I am no scumbag and im also highly educated I didn't have any respect for the crimes Alan committed and I'm not justifying people for sticking up for him I'm using my intelligence to explain to people like you who haven't got a clue about what goes on outside their computer and the front pages of their paper that some people who knew Alan and are sticking up for Alan genuinely don't believe him to be the cold blooded killer he was. When you write back come with a bit more intelligence on the matter read all my posts and then give your view in no way did I portray Alan as a robin hood character or justify the fact people liked him.

If you were that intelligent you'd be able to string a few coherent sentences together.

He was a scumbag and anyone of those that support him or shed a tear for him are scumbags too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's no need to get personal here. Be civil or be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

I can't believe that there are knackers/RA heads posting in this thread trying to justify this scumbags actions. And in particular a girl. I guess this would explain how murderers like Alan Ryan ended up having kids, dumb bitches who were excited by his lifestyle.

This is what's wrong with society.

If you've nothing to add to this tread only insults, why don't you clear off.

PDCAT wrote: »
    If you've nothing to add to this tread only insults, why don't you clear off.

Who did I insult?

I simply don't believe RA scumbags or there supporters should be given any sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Opie

This is getting ridiculous now. You have more people now posting about the "Scumbags and Knackers" supposedly supporting everything Alan Ryan done. Yet to me, one of the most disgusting things in the whole thread is how all the internet gangsters on here are now slagging DonaghmedeGirl off for her Grammar? She makes very good points if you read what she is saying, yet you get these shams saying "Have you ever heard of a full stop" or "It's where, not were". She is not supporting Alan Ryan, just saying that there are 2 sides to the man. I still stick to what i said earlier, her posts are the only ones in this thread that make sensible points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Opie wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous now. You have more people now posting about the "Scumbags and Knackers" supposedly supporting everything Alan Ryan done. Yet to me, one of the most disgusting things in the whole thread is how all the internet gangsters on here are now slagging DonaghmedeGirl off for her Grammar? She makes very good points if you read what she is saying, yet you get these shams saying "Have you ever heard of a full stop" or "It's where, not were". She is not supporting Alan Ryan, just saying that there are 2 sides to the man. I still stick to what i said earlier, her posts are the only ones in this thread that make sensible points.

Agreed. Don't know why she's wasted so much time posting here. Any person whom tried to take an objective view and state that their were two sides to the man has got slated and insulted.....

she called AR a cold blooded killer when he was never tried never mind convicted of those things.

so what makes sense about that? also Donaghmede is so vast that 99% of people who would have walked past AR would not even know who he was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

billybudd wrote: »
    she called AR a cold blooded killer when he was never tried never mind convicted of those things.

same can be said about the drug dealers who he extorted money from...

around and around we go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I wasn't saying he is a community leader that's what some people saw him as i for one if I could ask him the question now is why take money off drugs gangs and say it was to push them out of your community and butthen line your greedy pockets with it. The flags is laughable I'm not intimidated by it because I said we are not shocked anymore by the actions of criminals in our community there are many people that want to take them down and I'm sure would be frightened to do it what scares them is the thought of the letters IRA no matter if it's nonsense

I was not aiming my post at you TBH .

so what makes sense about that? also Donaghmede is so vast that 99% of people who would have walked past AR would not even know who he was.

The reason I think she is making sense is that she is trying to say that the chap had 2 sides, while not glorifying either side. If people read her messages it comes across quite clearly.

AR may never have been charged with any murders, but I'm sure that there was criminality, intimidation, extortion etc. These stories have not come out of thin air. I'm not saying that he was not the devil that the media are trying to portray, but at the same time he probably was not the saint that some are trying to portray.

I didnt know AR, I'm not from Donaghmede, I'm not part of any republican organisation, I just think some of the things being said about him are a bit much and if he has family and friends reading this its not a nice thing for them to have to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

The reason I think she is making sense is that she is trying to say that the chap had 2 sides, while not glorifying either side. If people read her messages it comes across quite clearly.

AR may never have been charged with any murders, but I'm sure that there was criminality, intimidation, extortion etc. These stories have not come out of thin air. I'm not saying that he was not the devil that the media are trying to portray, but at the same time he probably was not the saint that some are trying to portray.

I didnt know AR, I'm not from Donaghmede, I'm not part of any republican organisation, I just think some of the things being said about him are a bit much and if he has family and friends reading this its not a nice thing for them to have to listen to.
    Friends & family should have had a word in his ear & asked him to change his ways, no point crying over spilt milk now is there.

if he has family and friends reading this its not a nice thing for them to have to listen to.

I'm not sure they would be hearing anything reading text.
    Some users seem to be suggesting that this thread is a Commemoration or condolences thread, where in fact it is AH and we are discussing the death of a criminal.
    If the family are googling his name to see who or what is being written about him on the www, blogs etc, then they know what to expect and know all about his ties to criminality.
    Surely you wouldn't be going on to private forums to see if you can find out who killed your loved one when you have so many people around you who are well connected, and know already who done him in?

Lelantos wrote: »
    Friends & family should have had a word in his ear & asked him to change his ways, no point crying over spilt milk now is there.

So families arent allowed to grieve? Some of the comments on here are outrageous. I'm sure his family knew what he was, but they still loved him and have still lost him. While people who he may have wronged will shed no tears for the man, there are people who loved him and cared about him who will be crying for him, and are having to read about him in every media source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

To hell pie;80651525]
    Lelantos wrote: »

So families arent allowed to grieve? Some of the comments on here are outrageous. I'm sure his family knew what he was, but they still loved him and have still lost him. While people who he may have wronged will shed no tears for the man, there are people who loved him and cared about him who will be crying for him, and are having to read about him in every media source.[/Quote]
    He may have wronged? It's plain & simple, the guy was a nasty scummy piece of work. No decent person will miss him, only his cronies & people who haven't the cop on to recognize what he really was. I might feel sorry for his mother having to bring that little sh1t into the world, but that's all the sympathy you get from me.

I'm not sure they would be hearing anything reading text.
    Some users seem to be suggesting that this thread is a Commemoration or condolences thread, where in fact it is AH and we are discussing the death of a criminal.
    If the family are googling his name to see who or what is being written about him on the www, blogs etc, then they know what to expect and know all about his ties to criminality.
    Surely you wouldn't be going on to private forums to see if you can find out who killed your loved one when you have so many people around you who are well connected, and know already who done him in?

Good one for the pedantry above, bravo.

As i've said, i'm sure his family know what he was like, but they dont want to have to read what keyboard warriors are saying, who never met him, calling him this and that. They know what the chap done and they are now dealing with the fact he is dead. How would you feel if you were in a similar situation and people were saying it about your brother or son, even if you knew he done wrong? It would not be a nice feeling.

Good one for the pedantry above, bravo.

As i've said, i'm sure his family know what he was like, but they dont want to have to read what keyboard warriors are saying, who never met him, calling him this and that. They know what the chap done and they are now dealing with the fact he is dead. How would you feel if you were in a similar situation and people were saying it about your brother or son, even if you knew he done wrong? It would not be a nice feeling.

It's like a broken record of new registrations on here all using the same argument "How would you...." etc.
    They don't want to have to read?
    Well then they shouldn't be googling it or scouring every little part of the www to see what every little keyboard warrior (as opposed to fake Freedom Fighter Warriors) are writing about him.
    The funniest part of all of this is his cronies think everyone should show him mafia like respect after the fact, whereas most people couldn't give a **** what his family are like.
    Everyone knows nice families, most of them don't have to deal with their loved ones being savagely shot for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Its astonishing the amount of people who are saying "he has two sides". Tbh, I genuinely don't see the relevance with what "having two sides" has to do with anything. However, if he "has two sides", one been this devoted father or whatever, and the other been this criminal who shoots people dead, ehm.. well I think one far outweighs the other.

I remember the shooting in Portmarnock very well, it frightened the life out of me. Every time I drive past the DART station I am immediately reminded of it.

So tbh, the more of these scumbags that are wiped from the earth the better. And the better off that little boy of his will be, who wants to grow up with a father like that? As for the women that have children with these scum, the mind baffles..

What about the families of all the people had terrorized or had murdered?

Of course his family will grieve. But they no doubt were well looked after from the proceeds of his ill gotten gains.

Anyone who even tries to justify what he did and what he represented is a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Davidth88 wrote: »

Tony Gregory was a very sound Irish Republican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Kind of sad to see the support this guy actually has. He was a IRA terrorist. Why show any sympathy? He was in a organisation which was more than happy enough to kill a young police officer for no other reason than he was a Catholic. Scumbags the lot of them.

I think they killed the police officer because he was just that. Don't think religion came into it.

Note: I utterly condemn killing of police officers/political violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Going from the thread title it seems people are surprised that he was shot in "broad daylight".

It makes him easier to see.

Im also waiting to be told what favours this pillar of the donaghmede area did for members of the community?

He was like any other one that rules his life through, greed, intimidation and brutality, my point is that the majority in donaghmede would not know or care who he is and by far and large it is a respectable area with very low social problems, where i live is not too far from Donaghmede and is quite the oposite with a lot of young criminals and alot of anti social behaviour.

where i come from you aspire to live in Donaghmede.

The flags and graffiti were not put up by a community mourning a favourite son but by young impressionable kids lured into a world of violence, intimidation and greed.

The two sides theory is stupid and grotesque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

living in Donaghmede for 12 years now , never seen him, never heard of him. I assume I am not unique in this regard and that 98% of the rest of the population in Donagmede can likewise make the same statement!

He was like any other one that rules his life through, greed, intimidation and brutality, my point is that the majority in donaghmede would not know or care who he is and by far and large it is a respectable area with very low social problems, where i live is not too far from Donaghmede and is quite the oposite with a lot of young criminals and alot of anti social behaviour.

where i come from you aspire to live in Donaghmede.

The flags and graffiti were not put up by a community mourning a favourite son but by young impressionable kids lured into a world of violence, intimidation and greed.

The two sides theory is stupid and grotesque.

Fair enough, I take your points on board. I wasn't trying to glorify the fella as I dont know him, and I wasnt trying to pidgeon-hole Donaghmede, as I agree, it is a nice area. My main issues were 1) that if any family members or friends were reading it may upset them, and 2) That DonaghmedeGirl was making sensible points and was being rundown ufairly by the grammar police on here.

My main issues were 1) that if any family members or friends were reading it may upset them, .
    if that's how they choose to remember him by looking up what people are saying about him on Boards, that baffles me.
    The only ones reading whats being said about him on boards is the so called "Freedom fighters" and his criminal associates.

if that's how they choose to remember him by looking up what people are saying about him on Boards, that baffles me.
    The only ones reading whats being said about him on boards is the so called "Freedom fighters" and his criminal associates.

You dont know that for sure. OK, highly unlikey that his mother is on Boards, but younger members of his family - young brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, cousins may be.

I'm not trying to defend the fella, just to try and clarify that.

Fair enough, I take your points on board. I wasn't trying to glorify the fella as I dont know him, and I wasnt trying to pidgeon-hole Donaghmede, as I agree, it is a nice area. My main issues were 1) that if any family members or friends were reading it may upset them, and 2) That DonaghmedeGirl was making sensible points and was being rundown ufairly by the grammar police on here.

As difficult as that would be for any parent thats just the reality of what they have to deal with and thats what their son/s became.

Donaghmede girl problem is that she is trying to make donaghmede to be smaller and secular than it actually is and also that he did some good for the community which is not true, maybe he helped a few people with some problems but as i said Donaghmede is vast and in general has not got social problems that are hugely problematic.

She was really blurring the lines from what people think he was to what he actually was.

I dont agree with the grammar nazis either, not everyone attends great schools.

• Advertisement

You dont know that for sure. OK, highly unlikey that his mother is on Boards, but younger members of his family - young brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, cousins may be.

Maybe they are, still baffles me as to why?
    And maybe it's just me, but the fact that he was shot multiple times in broad daylight and left to bleed on the side of the road would upset me far more than some internet user calling him a scumbag.
    Is defending his honour online more important than getting justice for an innocent man who was murdered?

Would they not have more important things to be dealing with than boards?

And also, his entire family, nuclear and extended, would have known well what kind of person he was. They would hardly be shocked to read negative things about him.

If they were in any way decent, they would have disowned him a long time ago.

The family members that supported his way of life deserve to be hurt with what they read.

Would they not have more important things to be dealing with than boards?

And also, his entire family, nuclear and extended, would have known well what kind of person he was. They would hardly be shocked to read negative things about him.

If they were in any way decent, they would have disowned him a long time ago.

The family members that supported his way of life deserve to be hurt with what they read.

I'm sure his small child is a complete scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Criminal

Alan Ryan was no Republican. No Republican has taken money of the gangs. Criminal's take money of Criminal's, THE FACT he got shot dead is a surprise to no-body, they think the gangs are idiot's fool's etc etc. Gangs run criminal operations all the time 24-7 so they are not idiots criminals yes, fools no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Great thread:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Criminal wrote: »
    Alan Ryan was no Republican. No Republican has taken money of the gangs. Criminal's take money of Criminal's, THE FACT he got shot dead is a surprise to no-body, they think the gangs are idiot's fool's etc etc. Gangs run criminal operations all the time 24-7 so they are not idiots criminals yes, fools no.

:eek:

I'd agree, seems other don't

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Screen-Shot-2012-09-06-at-22.47.57.jpg

Chickens come home to roost, appear in my thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why's there a guy playing a violin?

humanji wrote: »
    Why's there a guy playing a violin?
    Haha :D

It does look like a violin

• Advertisement

:pac:
    He volunteered to do all that ****e?
    No wages or nothing?
    No wonder some thought he was a fantastic community person.

I'd agree, seems other don't

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Screen-Shot-2012-09-06-at-22.47.57.jpg[/QUO) Painting wall ? i am sure the people who killed him, have paint as well.

Hardware shops have run out of paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Man arrested in relation to the shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Donaghmedegirl

As difficult as that would be for any parent thats just the reality of what they have to deal with and thats what their son/s became.

Donaghmede girl problem is that she is trying to make donaghmede to be smaller and secular than it actually is and also that he did some good for the community which is not true, maybe he helped a few people with some problems but as i said Donaghmede is vast and in general has not got social problems that are hugely problematic.

She was really blurring the lines from what people think he was to what he actually was.

I dont agree with the grammar nazis either, not everyone attends great schools.
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the word donaghmede but I'm talkin about my community the Grang Abbey community within donaghmede where I grew up on the same street as Alan I'm talking about my neighboirs who knew Alan also, who has a totally different portrayal of Alan to what he actually was because Alan portrayed himself to our community as the good guy. My opinion of Alan is the day Alan was arrested in
    Meath at an Ira training camp been thought how to use weapons I learned then he was scum and always new that the day Alan would die it would be through murder and through no fault but his own not his families or the good community we have in grange abbey

nudger wrote: »
    Man arrested in relation to the shooting.

So there was.
    In his 40's.
    Hope he has life insurance.

You'd wanna tell all his disciples putting up tricolors and murals all over the place today.

And what are you on about Reps don't take money off criminals? How else do they make their money?? Extortion, protection rackets...

They take money off Publicans to protect them from drug dealers, then also take money off the dealers.

Scumbags!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

You'd wanna tell all his disciples putting up tricolors and murals all over the place today.

And what are you on about Reps don't take money off criminals? How else do they make their money?? Extortion, protection rackets...

They take money off Publicans to protect them from drug dealers, then also take money off the dealers.

Scumbags!!

It's for the good of Ireland's future doncha know!:pac:

Acceptable casualties and all that.

Paint on walls ? designed to impress who ?. I think that the people who killed this man will take no notice of it.

"an unfortunate case of mistaken identity" ? No think it was Alan Ryan they wanted to kill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement