Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tool_

Criminal wrote: »
    There has been very little on this thread about other Republican groups etc said they will not help Ryan's gang in Dublin is this true. ?

http://thestar.ie/star/bloodshed-fears-deepen-after-gun-killing-of-rira-boss-ryan/

However, a man claiming to speak for the hardline republican group Oglaigh na hEireann last night insisted Ryan’s gang in Dublin would be getting no help from north of the border in 
hunting Ryan’s killers.

In an unverified statement, he claimed that Ryan’s activities in Dublin — extorting money from drug-dealers — had isolated the Dublin faction from hardline 
paramilitaries in the North.

You don't need me to tell you that relying on the Star for analysis isn't an especially good idea.

I've only seen a handful of funeral photos online but dissident republicans from Derry were prominent in these. This shooting is a pretty serious challenge to an organisation struggling to establish its credibility. Whoever did it would be as well in jail or out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

J K wrote: »
    mattjack wrote: »

If we went around Dublin and took everyone who was likely a drug user or drug dealer and fired a shot through their knee cap we would probably curtail the drug market in Dublin a good deal.

Actually if we all armed ourselves and started maiming and killing trouble makers on our street and in our neighbourhoods I think we could put a good dint into anti social behaviour and street crime. There's guy a few doors up from me who has loud parties on week nights. We'll see how much he wants to party after I saw his fingers off.

Ballsology!

The Yanks have armed themselves to the brow line, seem to work for them...? I think NOT!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

StaunchyDJ wrote: »

Ballsology!

The Yanks have armed themselves to the brow line, seem to work for them...? I think NOT!!! :rolleyes:

These are not my posts.Read my posts before you start pissin' yourself in panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

There was a volley outside his house apparently, as well as a large turnout
    Was that Kevin Doyle's volley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

These are not my posts.Read my posts before you start pissin' yourself in panic.

In fairness mattjack when your quoting Other Posters its all tangled up.chk it out yourself.

realies wrote: »

In fairness mattjack when your quoting Other Posters its all tangled up.chk it out yourself.

For shame on me Realies, for shame.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

people dont understand do they, the IRA dont have any respect in dublin, they can mouth all they want that they will get who ever done this, it wont stop the gangs only more of them will die like alan ryan, i have to tell you this the IRA dont have the numbers or the money to stop them and i'll say it again there is bigger teapots out there much bigger than the RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

RIRA are nothing more than child killers and drug dealers, Ryan can rot in his grave, one can only hope that his followers meet a similar fate.
    Personally I dont believe that precious Garda resources should be wasted on investigating the eradication of scum like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tool_

people dont understand do they, the IRA dont have any respect in dublin, they can mouth all they want that they will get who ever done this, it wont stop the gangs only more of them will die like alan ryan, i have to tell you this the IRA dont have the numbers or the money to stop them and i'll say it again there is bigger teapots out there much bigger than the RA.

The new fangled republican groupings are a rag-tag bunch of misfits in comparison to the provos, and have embarrassed themselves with their ineptitude on a number of occasions. That said, they can't be seen to let this go, and have been crying out for a chance to establish their credentials. If they can't take this one, they'd be as well packing up the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I'm just back from the funeral, and its impossible to put words on the emotions of the day. The dignity of the Ryan family in their time of terrible grief, the dignity of Alan's comrades, the solidarity of the local people who lined the streets and filled the church, all of these helped to lift the sadness of the day. But, what was most striking was that sadness was not the overwhelming feeling. The feeling of this day was that the blood of a heroic martyr has ended our long walk in the wilderness. Irish Republicanism has found itself again. Our historic function is once more clear. We have found our old strength and faith. The forces of the lackey free state stood impotent, as a full IRA funeral was held, with shots fired and full military colour party. On this day, it was unthinkable that they would even dare to interfere. Revolutionary Ireland lives once again. Cynicism, despair and defeatism have evaporated. Resolute determination has replaced doubt. The lackey media, the cowardly footmen of the ruling class, were corralled and castrated behind police barriers. Who now cares about their sheepish slanders? This must be what Irish men and women of courage felt, when Pearse and Connolly gave their lives. Far from being the den of slaves and gombeen cut throats that we had been told we were, Ireland is, once more, a land where heroes walk. In your life and death, Alan, we find the course to be human beings. For that, a Chomrádaí, we salute you.

Lifted this from another site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

What a load of utter ****e.

'Comrades' = fellow scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

What site?
    Any link?

Face is snow white with the panic!!! Quote properly and MISTAKES like this won't happen ;)

Face is snow white with the panic!!! Quote properly and MISTAKES like this won't happen ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHaCzb3yYk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

That sounds like the same ****e you get from the old misty eyed Provos.

Little difference if any between them.

I'm just back from the funeral, and its impossible to put words on the emotions of the day. The dignity of the Ryan family in their time of terrible grief, the dignity of Alan's comrades, the solidarity of the local people who lined the streets and filled the church, all of these helped to lift the sadness of the day. But, what was most striking was that sadness was not the overwhelming feeling. The feeling of this day was that the blood of a heroic martyr has ended our long walk in the wilderness. Irish Republicanism has found itself again. Our historic function is once more clear. We have found our old strength and faith. The forces of the lackey free state stood impotent, as a full IRA funeral was held, with shots fired and full military colour party. On this day, it was unthinkable that they would even dare to interfere. Revolutionary Ireland lives once again. Cynicism, despair and defeatism have evaporated. Resolute determination has replaced doubt. The lackey media, the cowardly footmen of the ruling class, were corralled and castrated behind police barriers. Who now cares about their sheepish slanders? This must be what Irish men and women of courage felt, when Pearse and Connolly gave their lives. Far from being the den of slaves and gombeen cut throats that we had been told we were, Ireland is, once more, a land where heroes walk. In your life and death, Alan, we find the course to be human beings. For that, a Chomrádaí, we salute you.

Put it back where you found it before the kneecap you!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

A complete and utter w**ker shot dead will not be missed.The b*stard wont be missed.The c**t lived about 5 miles away from me and was barred from the pubs in our village and i'm only sorry that i was not the person that killed him :mad:It was a waste of a bullet though because th tw*t wasn't able to beat eggs anyway and all his cameras at his house are now good to him now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

These are the brave comrades who used to put suit cases under tables in pubs before sneaking off. Blowing civilians to smithereens.

These are the brave heroes who put a bomb in omagh. Before cowering away anonymous and hidden. Blowing women and children into pieces.

Barstool w@nkers, only fit for claiming the dole and sharing money with drug dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 9 Stars and Bars

Well at least he followed in the footsteps of his terrorist hero Bobby Sands. Enjoy the earth worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

These are the brave comrades who used to put suit cases under tables in pubs before sneaking off. Blowing civilians to smithereens.

These are the brave heroes who put a bomb in omagh. Before cowering away anonymous and hidden. Blowing women and children into pieces.

Barstool w@nkers, only fit for claiming the dole and sharing money with drug dealers.

That makes you a "heroic martyr" these days apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Well at least he followed in the footsteps of his terrorist hero Bobby Sands. Enjoy the earth worms.
    stay classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mixed up wrote: »
    A complete and utter w**ker shot dead will not be missed.The b*stard wont be missed.The c**t lived about 5 miles away from me and was barred from the pubs in our village and i'm only sorry that i was not the person that killed him :mad:It was a waste of a bullet though because th tw*t wasn't able to beat eggs anyway and all his cameras at his house are now good to him now :D

Wow, such a butch guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You are funny - when do you go back to Carstairs?

stay classy
    It is factual though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Does this not damage the whole republican "cause"?

I mean, the guy was a run of the mill criminal and people who claim to be republicans are calling him a hero. This just gives the impression that RIRA are just a bunch of criminals.

They really need to rethink their PR strategy but then again, maybe they're just not clever enough for that. The provos and SF for all their faults at least had some very intelligent people as members. This shower are like the Keystone Cops of republican groups.

Wow, such a butch guy

Thanks man :D I am not the coward though you can ask the maher girl that if she is finnished crying over ryan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Tool_ wrote: »
    The new fangled republican groupings are a rag-tag bunch of misfits in comparison to the provos, and have embarrassed themselves with their ineptitude on a number of occasions. That said, they can't be seen to let this go, and have been crying out for a chance to establish their credentials. If they can't take this one, they'd be as well packing up the shop.

These new fangled republican groupings and the provos wont stop this.
    It is not just a dublin thing anymore, we live in a metropolis with bigger connections than we had back in the eighties and the troubles.
    alan rayan and all his buddies and anyone who belongs to the IRA are all pack of walter mitties. nothing but dreamers.

Does this not damage the whole republican "cause"?

I mean, the guy was a run of the mill criminal and people who claim to be republicans are calling him a hero. This just gives the impression that RIRA are just a bunch of criminals.

They really need to rethink their PR strategy but then again, maybe they're just not clever enough for that. The provos and SF for all their faults at least had some very intelligent people as members. This shower are like the Keystone Cops of republican groups.
    10 years ago Sinn Fein would have been carrying this c*nts coffin with a Tri Colour on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

did'nt this guy spend his days livin' near Tullow Co Carlow ?

• Advertisement

did'nt this guy spend his days livin' near Tullow Co Carlow ?

He was living in ballon not too far from tullow.He wont be missed though :D

10 years ago Sinn Fein would have been carrying this c*nts coffin with a Tri Colour on it.

Not they wouldn't.

The ignorance is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You could be right but I'm not sure. I know that they had no issue with murderers but I'm not so sure about drug-dealers. I'd be surprised if provos gave full IRA funerals to dealers. I'll happily retract what I said if presented with an example of a drug-dealer getting an IRA funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i'm no supporter of ryan but you give the internet a bad name.

An active member is always given a Republican funeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Just because there are a few idiots who want to affiliate themselves with Republican groups doesn't mean all republicans are labelled with this lad.

If they had brains they'd be dangerous!

He was living in ballon not too far from tullow.He wont be missed though :D

Friend of mine worked in the house , - Alan was there most days from Mon-Fri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

republican my arse, scumbag criminal looking for an excuse to be a scumbag criminal.

Dont buy the let them kill each other out argument though as this type of gang warfare has too much risk for the public. Shane Geoghegan in Limerick sticks out in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

There was a volley outside his house apparently, as well as a large turnout

when was this? i didnt hear it and i was very close the whole day.

the large turnout was made up mainly of onlookers, not sympathisers. once the coffin entered the church the majority went back to their own business.

McDonalds did a roaring trade though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

http://www.thejournal.ie/pictures-alan-ryan-funeral-589357-Sep2012/#slide-slideshow3
    So now you get a tricolour on your coffin just for being a criminal.
    Insulting and demeaning to the memory of the real patriots who gave their lives so we could live in a country with freedom, law and order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

rock whore wrote: »
    when was this? i didnt hear it and i was very close the whole day.

the large turnout was made up mainly of onlookers, not sympathisers. once the coffin entered the church the majority went back to their own business.

McDonalds did a roaring trade though.
    There was a volley of shots fired in his garden I believe.

Garda didnt dare do anything, would have been a riot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

red sean wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/pictures-alan-ryan-funeral-589357-Sep2012/#slide-slideshow3
    Insulting and demeaning to the memory of the real patriots who gave their lives so we could live in a country with freedom, law and order.
    have you any evidence to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

There was a volley of shots fired in his garden I believe.

Garda didnt dare do anything, would have been a riot

There definitely was, anyway there were far too many people for them to intervene. At least he got a nice send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

At peak there was 2000 mourners there. Shops and businesses shut down in respect to the man and his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

wtf are you talkn about evidence. How can ya give evidence for an opinion. Unless you are asking for evidence that he is a criminal in which case you're post is even more idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Dockington wrote: »

wtf are you talkn about evidence. How can ya give evidence for an opinion. Unless you are asking for evidence that he is a criminal in which case you're post is even more idiotic.
    I'm been sarcastic,as to why there is no links to the REAL patriots as opposed to the not real patriots,is there a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.google.ie/url?url=http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/gene-kerrigan-grief-deep-as-it-was-was-sidelined-for-a-while-3223699.html&rct=j&sa=X&ei=u01MUO7jH4aChQerrYHwCQ&ved=0CCIQgBAoADAA&q=irish+independent&usg=AFQjCNF0m8AhzHbMdAKnzp8rdcc7kqx-0Q

THERE were two cute little girls cavorting in front of the church. The younger one had a Tricolour wrapped tightly around her. The taller one wore her Tricolour like a cape, letting it fly behind her as she skipped.

The funeral was late. Scheduled for 10 o'clock Mass at the Holy Trinity church in Donaghmede, it was a couple of minutes to 11 when a bagpipe could be heard in the distance.

Alan Ryan was a prominent supporter of the Real IRA. He was shot dead a short walk north of his home, in the area where his mother also lived. The church to which his remains were coming is a slightly longer walk south-west of his home. It is the church where he was baptised, made his Communion, and his Confirmation.

His death was brutal. Someone shot him, then stood over him and shot him again in the head. Ryan was "known to the police", was questioned about violent offences and was on bail at the time of his death. The papers are full of speculation about a Real IRA feud with drug gangs.

Some will read that as paramilitaries using their muscle to drive out drug gangs; others will read it as paramilitaries using their muscle to extort money from drug gangs.

There were Tricolours and black flags on a few of the lamp posts near the church. There were uniformed police at the church and at the junctions of roads leading to the church. It was a blue-sky day. Coming up to 10 o'clock, there were perhaps 300 people on the pavement across the road from the church, in front of the Donaghmede Shopping Centre. Some there for the funeral, some shoppers standing out of curiosity. A lot of people there because Ryan was a local man, well-known in the area, and when a neighbour dies you show solidarity.

A crowd attracts a crowd, and by 11 o'clock there were perhaps 600 outside the shopping centre, 300 across the road outside the church.

The bagpipe played 'The Minstrel Boy' as the coffin reached the church.

"The Minstrel boy to the wars has gone, in the ranks of death you will find him." There were hundreds behind the hearse.

As with all funerals, the front ranks behind the coffin were a knot of grief. Alan Ryan was known to the police as a suspect, but to others he was a son, a friend, a lover, a father.

The hearse had wreaths on the roof. The one in front said 'Alan'.

On the righthand side, a wreath said, '32CSM' -- the 32 County Sovereignty Movement. On the other side, a wreath spelt 'Daddy'.

Unlike other funerals, the grief -- deep as it obviously was -- was sidelined for a while.

Half a dozen figures in dark paramilitary uniforms, berets, dark glasses, masks tight across their faces, slowly paced at the head of the mourners -- all eyes on them, a flashback from another age.

Before the Mass began, the paramilitaries climbed into a van just outside the door of the church.

A crowd formed around the back of the van, almost all men, holding jackets and umbrellas aloft, to block the paramilitaries from view of police cameras, when they emerged without disguise from the van.

"Just covering for the boys", a man explained. At least one of the paramilitaries was a woman.

The priest spoke of a "barbaric act". He said that no one has the right to take to themselves the ending of another human life.

The symbolic gifts placed by the coffin were a picture of Alan Ryan's children and a framed copy of the 1916 Proclamation. Outside the church, two men took wreaths and bunches of flowers from the boots of two limos and laid them on the back of a flatbed truck, for the journey to the cemetery. There was a large Tricolour flying from the cab of the truck.

The funeral missal had a poem by Robert Burns. "An honest man here lies at rest," it said. "Few hearts like his, with virtue warm'd, Few heads with knowledge so informed."

As the service ended, a man played a keyboard version of Labi Siffre's anti-apartheid anthem Something Inside So Strong. Outside the church the jackets and umbrellas were held aloft again as the paramilitaries changed back into their gear.

In time to come, it might or might not be one of those people behind the masks who commits another barbaric act -- shooting bullets into the head of someone who might or might not have been involved in the murder of Alan Ryan. And behind the next corpse there will walk the women and the men who love that victim, followed by the children who don't understand.

- Gene Kerrigan

The last part in bold is what I fear the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Equality and freedom of choice, two things you probaly take for granted yet for several decades in the six counties did not exist for a part of the population. there is a big difference between the BS of this world and the AR.

You have freedom in Ireland now with the same tactics used by BS and his like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

seiphil wrote: »
    At peak there was 2000 mourners there. Shops and businesses shut down in respect to the man and his family.

Funniest thing I've read on this thread

• Advertisement

billybudd wrote: »

Equality and freedom of choice, two things you probaly take for granted yet for several decades in the six counties did not exist for a part of the population. there is a big difference between the BS of this world and the AR.

You have freedom in Ireland now with the same tactics used by BS and his like.
    That makes no sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement