Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Billy Mays wrote: »
    seiphil wrote: »
    At peak there was 2000 mourners there. Shops and businesses shut down in respect to the man and his family.

Funniest thing I've read on this thread

Closed down because every scumbag in the country was going to be within 300mts of their premises , also high chance of a riot or demonstration so shop fronts could be easily damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Is it true that this fella taxed nearly every business in Coolock and alot of north dublin as well as drug dealers .
    Is it true he didnt mind dealers once they were paying him tax .
    Is it true dealers and business men in the donaghmede area are celebrating all weekend because hes dead.
    Wont there be just somebody else getting primoted to his position now if the above is true.
    I have absolutely no idea if this is just gossip or what . Does anyone know firsthand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

cloptrop wrote: »
    Is it true that this fella taxed nearly every business in Coolock and alot of north dublin as well as drug dealers .
    Is it true he didnt mind dealers once they were paying him tax .
    Is it true dealers and business men in the donaghmede area are celebrating all weekend because hes dead.
    Wont there be just somebody else getting primoted to his position now if the above is true.
    I have absolutely no idea if this is just gossip or what . Does anyone know firsthand.

I know that his organisation killed a few big time dealers. They are believed to have hit the pockets of the smaller dealers. As to where that money went there are allegations that he pocketed the money.
    Some are trying to say that Alan was just in it for the money and not to protect his community. I don't know if there's any truth to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Closed down because every scumbag in the country was going to be within 300mts of their premises , also high chance of a riot or demonstration so shop fronts could be easily damaged.

Or if you dont shut down to show "respect" your shop will be broken into or burned down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Militant republicanism = severe mental illness and a fondness for costumes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Confab wrote: »
    A terrorist killed, you say? One down, many to go. And I don't care what political party/dogma/religion they represent, they have to go.

the guards wasted no time in hunting his killer. his killer did the community a service unless he was trying to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Is it true that even a fella doing car washeswas being taxed by him ?
    These are the things Im hearing I dont know whether its true or just local gossip
    or paper nonsense.
    I really gave no thoughts to IRA fundraising before . A mate of mine bought a business in Drumcondra a few years back and was visited by a chap that wanted the same protection money he got off the last owner. No idea on the details . I put it down to the shop owner being a spoofer at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

An active member is always given a Republican funeral

the war is over. The IRA has been stood down. anyone still advocating war should be interned. RSF and the 32 county sovernty movement should be outlawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    An active member is always given a Republican funeral

the war is over. The IRA has been stood down. anyone still advocating war should be interned. RSF and the 32 county sovernty movement should be outlawed.
    Because the IRA was once not an outlaw?

cloptrop wrote: »
    Is it true that even a fella doing car washeswas being taxed by him ?
    These are the things Im hearing I dont know whether its true or just local gossip
    or paper nonsense.
    I really gave no thoughts to IRA fundraising before . A mate of mine bought a business in Drumcondra a few years back and was visited by a chap that wanted the same protection money he got off the last owner. No idea on the details . I put it down to the shop owner being a spoofer at the time.

Any local hard man was up to this in Portadown at one stage. Often pubs in loyalist areas were paying money out to 3/4 different people, some of them not even connected to any group. On top of this you had managers of large chains saying they were approached for protection money and really they were pocketing it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Very interesting article about Ryan in the Daily Mail (yeah I know), this quote stood out to me:
    All week his supporters have taken to the internet to slate the media for its coverage of Ryan's murder, blaming the newspapers for his brutal death – but Ryan was regularly talking to journalists before the shooting.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Very interesting article about Ryan in the Daily Mail (yeah I know), this quote stood out to me:

Link

You realise that term "ryan's supporters" extends to anyone who "supported" ryan in anyway shape or form? Including people who had no association with him or had ever even met him?

Kinda funny how naive people are about these things

Bambi wrote: »

Link

You realise that term "ryan's supporters" extends to anyone who "supported" ryan in anyway shape or form? Including people who had no association with him or had ever even met him?

Kinda funny how naive people are about these things
    Obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Obviously

if its obvious then it shouldn't stand out to anyone even be quoteworthy, should it. Good chap

if its obvious then it shouldn't stand out to anyone even be quoteworthy, should it. Good chap

The quoteworthy part for me was the fact that Ryan was talking to journalists before his death, something I wasn't aware of and hadn't seen mentioned in this thread (if it was then I missed it). Some people are saying here that Ryan was misunderstood and hounded by the press but this article says otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Obviously

Well all his supporters here seem to blame a particular journo & they seem to have more knowledge than most of him. So chances are, it is quoteworthy good chap.

The quoteworthy part for me was the fact that Ryan was talking to journalists before his death, something I wasn't aware of and hadn't seen mentioned in this thread (if it was then I missed it). Some people are saying here that Ryan was misunderstood and hounded by the press but this article says otherwise
    That article gave decent insight into the man, deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Link

I read that article in full, and I'm actually disgusted ... and feel sorry for the "journalist" who wrote it. Some shameful crap in there.

Yeah, it's very brave to come out with all that crap from "private conversations" she had with the man, after he's died, giving her own uninformed opinions on the whole thing. :rolleyes: Full of conjecture and assumptions. She might think she's safer writing this article now that he's gone. Actually, in my opinion, it was a pretty stupid thing to do. Attention-seeking. And not worth the risk.

I have no sympathy for Alan Ryan or his mates, but that article was a very badly thought-out idea.

I read that article in full, and I'm actually disgusted ... and feel sorry for the "journalist" who wrote it. Some shameful crap in there.

Yeah, it's very brave to come out with all that crap from "private conversations" she had with the man, after he's died, giving her own uninformed opinions on the whole thing. :rolleyes: Full of conjecture and assumptions. She might think she's safer writing this article now that he's gone. Actually, in my opinion, it was a pretty stupid thing to do. Attention-seeking. And not worth the risk.

I have no sympathy for Alan Ryan or his mates, but that article was a very badly thought-out idea.

You can hardly call them 'private conversations', Ryan knew she was a journalist and sought her out. Didn't seem in any way 'shameful' to me but then I guess I didn't know the real Alan Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Criminal

Yes paper the other day said he talk to them about stuff and a story on what he said will be out this week amalgamation of groups, threats to Criminal Action Force.

Quoted as spokesman, so this paper will not be the only one.

• Advertisement

You can hardly call them 'private conversations', Ryan knew she was a journalist and sought her out. Didn't seem in any way 'shameful' to me but then I guess I didn't know the real Alan Ryan
    He was always talking to the papers.

Apparently a spokesman for Alan Ryan's gang said they will get the ten criminals who killed him ? well i do not think the criminals will fail, and hit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Criminal wrote: »
    Apparently a spokesman for Alan Ryan's gang said they will get the ten criminals who killed him ? well i do not think the criminals will fail, and hit back.
    They'll go for anybody they think had a conection with it and that could be anybody they feel like, so some bystanders are going to die because of these dipsticks.
    The hit man was susposedly shiped in and then shiped out so i guess they will be cluching at straws to find him.

They'll go for anybody they think had a conection with it and that could be anybody they feel like, so some bystanders are going to die because of these dipsticks.
    The hit man was susposedly shiped in and then shiped out so i guess they will be cluching at straws to find him.

The him man cluching at straws to find him ? He may be hiding in here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIr7KABvCk0 :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

I knew the Ryan family from the local National school gates, and I remember Alan as a good-looking kid, always impeccably turned out, hair immaculate, and only ever wearing the best designer gear, like all his siblings. His parents were lovely, quiet people, but, I remember AR too as as a spoilt, whingey little pup, who bore all the hallmarks of having chronic ADHD, aka being a bold little fkkkkr!!!. We left Donaghmede in the early 2000's, got great money for our house, coz the Celtic Tiger was rampant then, and when we were leaving, there was huge wealth in the area, lovely new cars and house extensions and expensive holidays, etc etc, as everyone was working and earning a fortune. I can understand local lads getting involved with drugs, drink, crime, early parenthood etc etc, but what I cannot understand is how AR got involved with the IRA. That simply was never an issue in Donaghmede. Like, who fed him all that sh*te about Republican hereos and Fenian glory? He had to have been indoctrinated into all that crap by SOMEBODY??
    Donaghmede was always known as a damned un-lucky place to live, and when we had our last child there, the Local Health Nurse said she would'nt live there even if she got a house for nothing in it. Somebody once said that Donaghmede was actually the site where Brian Boru died, in 1014, coz local boundaries and townlands were different then, and that the whole area was cursed. But, I do know that the rate of youth deaths in Donaghmede was huge, from suicides, murders, car crashes, drugs, etc, despite the growing affluence in the general area.
    Now AR has brought such infamy into that working class area,and looking at the news pics from this week, I feel sorry for the good people living there, I really do. They must be scared stiff, not knowing what sort of revenge or savagery will be inflicted on their area next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

C'mon now Criminal, you and i know these in the link are just a few yobs dressing up for fun and the hit man aint in there.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

sing_dumb wrote: »
    I knew the Ryan family from the local National school gates, and I remember Alan as a good-looking kid, always impeccably turned out, hair immaculate, and only ever wearing the best designer gear, like all his siblings. His parents were lovely, quiet people, but, I remember AR too as as a spoilt, whingey little pup, who bore all the hallmarks of having chronic ADHD, aka being a bold little fkkkkr!!!. We left Donaghmede in the early 2000's, got great money for our house, coz the Celtic Tiger was rampant then, and when we were leaving, there was huge wealth in the area, lovely new cars and house extensions and expensive holidays, etc etc, as everyone was working and earning a fortune. I can understand local lads getting involved with drugs, drink, crime, early parenthood etc etc, but what I cannot understand is how AR got involved with the IRA. That simply was never an issue in Donaghmede. Like, who fed him all that sh*te about Republican hereos and Fenian glory? He had to have been indoctrinated into all that crap by SOMEBODY??
    Donaghmede was always known as a damned un-lucky place to live, and when we had our last child there, the Local Health Nurse said she would'nt live there even if she got a house for nothing in it. Somebody once said that Donaghmede was actually the site where Brian Boru died, in 1014, coz local boundaries and townlands were different then, and that the whole area was cursed. But, I do know that the rate of youth deaths in Donaghmede was huge, from suicides, murders, car crashes, drugs, etc, despite the growing affluence in the general area.
    Now AR has brought such infamy into that working class area,and looking at the news pics from this week, I feel sorry for the good people living there, I really do. They must be scared stiff, not knowing what sort of revenge or savagery will be inflicted on their area next.

Nothing. Why would they? More than likely the knacker who killed this knacker doesn't live in Donaghmeade. The place, although it may be a ****hole, has only become safer. Tell the kids to chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

Family has been living here for over 30 years, quite unsure as to why you'd call it a ****hole? I see no problem, the death of Alan and the funeral which followed doesn't make it so. I don't think people are scared stiff as a result of this, it's just another day in Ireland. It could have happened anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I have it on good authority that drug figures have taken this opportunity to go on a holiday.

• Advertisement

I have it on good authority that drug figures have taken this opportunity to go on a holiday.
    A well earned holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Ah c'mon we're all friends here , give us a little more information.
    Did they get a last minute deal , seeing as the kids are back in school ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mattjack wrote: »
    Ah c'mon we're all friends here , give us a little more information.
    Did they get a last minute deal , seeing as the kids are back in school ?

:) They probaly thought it was a good idea to shoot of some where else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

To the ordinary public, most will never know the truth about this man other than what the media reports. Perhaps what the media has written is 100% true, perhaps it is completely wrong.

I did not know this person and at the end of the day he died a terrible death and his family, daughter will be grieving.

It has been a long time since opinion has been divided so strongly by both groups for and against him, therefore maybe there are elements of truth to him from what people for and against are saying.

DublinC wrote: »
    Family has been living here for over 30 years, quite unsure as to why you'd call it a ****hole? I see no problem, the death of Alan and the funeral which followed doesn't make it so. I don't think people are scared stiff as a result of this, it's just another day in Ireland. It could have happened anywhere.

What view do you two have on what Alan was up to? Was he all about the money, was he there to keep drugs out of his community or was it a bit of both?

Me too.....the indo

• Advertisement

What view do you two have on what Alan was up to? Was he all about the money, was he there to keep drugs out of his community or was it a bit of both?
    That's the big question.....death was inevitable and fast, so what was his game?...someone alluded to ADHD on here. That's the kind of explanation that makes the most sense. Was he over compensating for something? He seemed devoted to his daughter, so why did he stick his neck out so far and get killed? None of this makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Me too.....the indo

Don't you come in here ruining Fenian Army's air of intrigue and mystery.

Personal opinion is that he helped to keep the area itself somewhat safe, I know some Dealers made sure to avoid the brothers at all costs. I can't really comment beyond that. There was never really much trouble here, I'm not sure if it was all due to their presence or not.. But the area isn't a ****hole, as one posted cheekily stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

mattjack wrote: »
    Don't you come in here ruining Fenian Army's air of intrigue and mystery.
    lol I've worked hard at it
    I heard it from some friends, its in the indo too?

Personal opinion is that he helped to keep the area itself somewhat safe, I know some Dealers made sure to avoid the brothers at all costs. I can't really comment beyond that. There was never really much trouble here, I'm not sure if it was all due to their presence or not.. But the area isn't a ****hole, as one posted cheekily stated.

Did you come across anyone with a bad word to say about him other than opinions garnered from the rags? What were their reasons?

• Advertisement

Did you come across anyone with a bad word to say about him other than opinions garnered from the rags? What were their reasons?

Most people wouldn't have known him him, I haven't heard anything negative thus far. Neighbour was saying how sad it was that such a lovely looking innocent lad was killed, she had no idea what they were into though.

Most people wouldn't have known him him, I haven't heard anything negative thus far. Neighbour was saying how sad it was that such a lovely looking innocent lad was killed, she had no idea what they were into though.

When it happened I heard people saying how terrible it was that he was murdered and comparing it to Veronica Guerrin. On boards they seem to be all Daily Star readers or know something we don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

What does him been good looking have to do with anything?

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Good looking people aren't murdering extortionists?

Lelantos wrote: »

Not my words.

Lelantos wrote: »

What??

Are you joking?

On a side note are his brothers criminals too? I didn't see anything about them been involved in criminal activity in the papers.

Also I don't think Alan was good looking at all (not even relevant!), he does however look very like Finn in Fair City imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

When it happened I heard people saying how terrible it was that he was murdered and comparing it to Veronica Guerrin. On boards they seem to be all Daily Star readers or know something we don't!

WHAT? hahahahahaha

I never knew Veronica G was a mudering Provo Scumbag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sure wasn't one of the papers going with Alan 'The Model' Ryan last week?! Pathetic effort, that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Now I aint the biggest fan of Garda in this country, but I have to say that its a sad day when they had to sit back and watch as IRA men dressed up in balaclavas were able to fire shots.

The law in this country is a mockery to the ordinary person. Worked in lot war torn countries in A job years ago and it would not happen in 90% of those places. Just no. But in Ireland...........

Im sick of listening to this British hatred crap from these organisations. The British have moved on and so should we. We cant manage 26 counties without another 6 on top of that. If we put as much outrage into our Politicians as we do British we not be in the mess we are in now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement