Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Now I aint the biggest fan of Garda in this country, but I have to say that its a sad day when they had to sit back and watch as IRA men dressed up in balaclavas were able to fire shots.

The law in this country is a mockery to the ordinary person. Worked in lot war torn countries in A job years ago and it would not happen in 90% of those places. Just no. But in Ireland...........

Im sick of listening to this British hatred crap from these organisations. The British have moved on and so should we. We cant manage 26 counties without another 6 on top of that. If we put as much outrage into our Politicians as we do British we not be in the mess we are in now.
    What could the guards do? They'd be massacred if they tried anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

humanji wrote: »
    With respect , by that logic you are in effect stating that the State is now subservient to a gang of terrorist criminals because it's police force is afraid of confronting them.
    That is not a sustainable position for any state, nor an acceptable situation for the citizenry to find themselves in.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    With respect , by that logic you are in effect stating that the State is now subservient to a gang of terrorist criminals because it's police force is afraid of confronting them.
    That is not a sustainable position for any state, nor an acceptable situation for the citizenry to find themselves in.
    But it's the way the world works. The gardai had little they could do in the situation except hang back and hope it doesn't get out of control. There was nothing they could do about it. In this situation, nobody was injured. If they had tried to arrest the terrorists, there'd be a full scale riot and many people would be injured.

It's not a happy decision, but it's the right one to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I assume the ARU were there as well as normal Gardaí. But in fairness if the Guards took on a harder line then there could have been much worse than a few shots fired into the air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I assume the ARU were there as well as normal Gardaí. But in fairness if the Guards took on a harder line then there could have been much worse than a few shots fired into the air!
    It's got nothing to do with the Australian Rugby Union.

That's where i'm concerned, if the cops moved in they would have swarmed and there was kids in there, it could have been a bloodbath. However, I am hoping the cops have done their homework and certain people will be getting called in over the next few weeks and hopefully charged.

no they would not...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

WHAT? hahahahahaha

I never knew Veronica G was a mudering Provo Scumbag!

Congratulations. I dont think I've ever seen anyone squeeze so much ignorance into one sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

But it's the way the world works. The gardai had little they could do in the situation except hang back and hope it doesn't get out of control. There was nothing they could do about it. In this situation, nobody was injured. If they had tried to arrest the terrorists, there'd be a full scale riot and many people would be injured.

It's not a happy decision, but it's the right one to make.

Im not saying they should have done it on day of Funeral, law is not on Gardai side im afraid.

Im saying it's sad that it has come to stage where Scum are allowed basically do what they like.

Do you think that is acceptable that this kind of carry on is tolerated? Its a disgrace that they cant be arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Humanji you are completely wrong on this I'm afraid, no point fighting it. The job of the Garda is to stop scum like this; with proper training and equipment like vests and firearms there should be minimal loss of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If a few guards had been "massacred" because of intervening in the circus it would have been the end of these organisations once and for all in this state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Could they not have drafted in the army and the rangers also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Congratulations. I dont think I've ever seen anyone squeeze so much ignorance into one sentence.

Eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Andy!! wrote: »
    Humanji you are completely wrong on this I'm afraid, no point fighting it. The job of the Garda is to stop scum like this; with proper training and equipment like vests and firearms there should be minimal loss of life.
    There were women & children at the funeral, the guards sat back & observed, they did the right thing imo. Any gunplay that resulted in deaths of minors & the finger of blame would be pointed at the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

flanzer wrote: »
    Could they not have drafted in the army and the rangers also?

And if it had 'kicked off' how many real innocent victims do you think would have been killed or injured in any disturbance or crossfire?

IMHO the Gardai did the right thing.... let them come in and play dress up and then go away again without any further bloodshed.

The rhetoric and frankly laughable bullsh*t that followed and has been spouted in various posts here, about the show of strength, martyrs blah blah blah......is just that...laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

no they would not...

Not like it's happened before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporals_killings
    Im not saying they should have done it on day of Funeral, law is not on Gardai side im afraid.

Im saying it's sad that it has come to stage where Scum are allowed basically do what they like.

Do you think that is acceptable that this kind of carry on is tolerated? Its a disgrace that they cant be arrested.

They sealed off the house for examination, likely against the will of the owners, and have started an investigation.
    If a few guards had been "massacred" because of intervening in the circus it would have been the end of these organisations once and for all in this state

**** that. Go get yourself massacared and martyr yourself instead of looking for others to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

AEDIC wrote: »
    And if it had 'kicked off' how many real innocent victims do you think would have been killed or injured in any disturbance or crossfire?

IMHO the Gardai did the right thing.... let them come in and play dress up and then go away again without any further bloodshed.

In hindsight, you're probably right. I could have been that innocent victim, as I had my 4 year old in doing swimming lessons in Trinity sports.

I suppose my feelings are still raw, considering my thoughts as I left the swimming pool just past 11 o'clock on Saturday morning. I couldn't believe the amount of muppets that gathered for this muppets funeral. Also having to do a big detour to get my starving 4 year back home for breakfast post swimming lessons.

I hope this whole event highlights the fact to people that the Real IRA are no more republican than the cast of Sesame Street.

From the "corperals killings" wiki from an above post...Conservative MP Michael Mates nonetheless defended the "hands off" policy, saying "A return to heavy-handed policing could provoke riots, which is what the IRA want so they can say to the world 'They won't even let us bury our dead in peace.

Andy!! wrote: »
    And in super happy fun land, the gardai would have all that. Unfortunately in the banana republic we live in, they're understaffed and under-equipped for this sort of thing. They were completely outnumbered and could not act on the day of the funeral.

In relation to them acting in general, as pointed out above, the law is against the gardai. They need a fairly airtight case, and that's something which is incredibly difficult to come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Now I aint the biggest fan of Garda in this country, but I have to say that its a sad day when they had to sit back and watch as IRA men dressed up in balaclavas were able to fire shots.

The law in this country is a mockery to the ordinary person. Worked in lot war torn countries in A job years ago and it would not happen in 90% of those places. Just no. But in Ireland...........

Im sick of listening to this British hatred crap from these organisations. The British have moved on and so should we. We cant manage 26 counties without another 6 on top of that. If we put as much outrage into our Politicians as we do British we not be in the mess we are in now.

The RUC attacked Joe McDonnell's funeral and look how that went. They sent Stone into Miltown Cemetary too. Neither were well received either side of the border!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The RUC attacked Joe McDonnell's funeral and look how that went. They sent Stone into Miltown Cemetary too. Neither were well received either side of the border!

First time I'd heard this claim. Any evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

First time I'd heard this claim. Any evidence?
    They had a car waiting to collect him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A friend had to leave her home for the weekend for fear of the scum that would be attracted to the funeral.

What a "victory" for the republican cause: scaring a mother and child out of their own apartment.

The Armed Response Unit should have been given shoot-on-sight permission and locals warned to stay away. Scumbags like Ryan don't deserve peaceful burials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sleepy wrote: »
    A friend had to leave her home for the weekend for fear of the scum that would be attracted to the funeral.

Did you ever see dara o'brian lampoon people who equate crime with the "fear of crime"?

What a "victory" for the republican cause: scaring a mother and child out of their own apartment.

The Armed Response Unit should have been given shoot-on-sight permission and locals warned to stay away. Scumbags like Ryan don't deserve peaceful burials.
    in fairness....she didn't have to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

A bit dramatic IMHO, also when you say '' what a victory for the republican cause'' That's actually the most idiotic thing I've ever read, hundreds turned out to pay respect to him,not to start riots and kill women and children:confused: I'm sure your friend wasnt even on their radar.. too much tv me thinks. Does she feel a bit silly now considering there wasnt any trouble reported?

A bit dramatic IMHO, also when you say '' what a victory for the republican cause'' That's actually the most idiotic thing I've ever read, hundreds turned out to pay respect to him,not to start riots and kill women and children:confused: I'm sure your friend wasnt even on their radar.. too much tv me thinks. Does she feel a bit silly now considering there wasnt any trouble reported?

Apart from the illegal discharging of firearms of course. Allegedly...

Apart from the illegal discharging of firearms of course. Allegedly...

That was as a mark of respect... they hardly stormed up the road waving guns. People are being hysterical now, Nobody was hurt and nobody was going to be hurt. It was a funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There was trouble. Armed paramilitaries fired shots into the air in a residential area. Reason enough to vindicate anyone's decision to leave the area rather than hang around with their young child and hope that the murderers and gangsters keep their guns holstered.

Dave! wrote: »
    There was trouble. Armed paramilitaries fired shots into the air in a residential area. Reason enough to vindicate anyone's decision to leave the area rather than hang around with their young child and hope that the murderers and gangsters keep their guns holstered.

As I said, it was into the air. not into someones window.

• Advertisement

That was as a mark of respect... they hardly stormed up the road waving guns. People are being hysterical now, Nobody was hurt and nobody was going to be hurt. It was a funeral.

Doesn't matter what you purport it to be tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Link to evidence that Stone was acting on behalf of the RUC?

Where did the bullets land?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

There is always potential for trouble at a scumbag's funeral. Hence the Garda presence.

Doesn't matter what you purport it to be tbh.

Well was there anyone hurt? Did a bullet fly through a window and kill anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Link to evidence that Stone was acting on behalf of the RUC?

I meant the british establishment not the RUC.

What goes up must come down.

Well was there anyone hurt? Did a bullet fly through a window and kill anyone?

Someone being hurt or not is not always a measure of an action being legal or not.

Where did those bullets land btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

What goes up must come down, falling bullets from shots fired in the air can kill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

• Advertisement

Someone being hurt or not is not always a measure of an action being legal or not.

Where did those bullets land btw?

Obviously not on a person anyway:pac:

Hang on though I'll go have a little look.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    What goes up must come down, falling bullets from shots fired in the air can kill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

But nobody WAS killed..

But nobody WAS killed..
    Only scared by armed terrorist firing weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's easy to say that in retrospect nobody was hurt, but when paramilitaries carry firearms into a residential estate there is always the potential for violence, and it's prudent for anyone to get themselves away from the area.

I've just read someone from the area say that when they were told to take off their masks, one of the leaders threatened to smash the place up if they're not allowed to continue.

Obviously not on a person anyway:pac:

Hang on though I'll go have a little look.

Nontheless...you will agree that the risk was there.? So someone not wanting to expose themselves or their 4 year old child to that risk has the right to choose if the want to risk it or not.

Like I have said, someone getting hurt is not always the benchmark of legality.

But nobody WAS killed..

Not because of any care or consideration by Mr Ryans criminal buddies though. Just by pure luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

But nobody WAS killed..

Yes I am aware of that. Firing into the air is the same as firing at random, you are unlikely to hit anyone but the chance is always there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I see shatter was on the radio this morning desperately trying to deflect things away from the real issue here, that drugs gangs are ruling the roost and having people killed.

I see shatter was on the radio this morning desperately trying to deflect things away from the real issue here, that drugs gangs are ruling the roost and having people killed.
    It would be better to say that terrorists and drug-dealing gangs are ruling the roost and having people killed. It's not a case of "My enemies enemy is my friend". They're both problems than need to be stamped out.

It would be better to say that terrorists and drug-dealing gangs are ruling the roost and having people killed. It's not a case of "My enemies enemy is my friend". They're both problems than need to be stamped out.

Terrorists my arse.. I'd take these so called terrorists over drug dealing scum any day.

These ''terrorists'' were the ones to step in when the government / gardai turned the other cheek. Drug dealing seems to be more acceptable, but republicans are a thorn in the side of the government.

Terrorists my arse.. I'd take these so called terrorists over drug dealing scum any day.

These ''terrorists'' were the ones to step in when the government / gardai turned the other cheek. Drug dealing seems to be more acceptable, but republicans are a thorn in the side of the government.

It's sad that only when a member of your family are accidentally murdered by these scum, that you'll realise how wrong you are to support them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement