Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I didn't believe that the two sides could thrash out the GFA, but they did and it is holding for those who signed up to it.
    But I thought your argument is that it isn't working and needs to be be renegotiated?
    I don't know what the answers are or what terms will satisfy but I do know, what will 'not' work and is not working. Young men are being attracted to this movement again, those who where prepared to allow the GFA address their issues with partition are being swayed back to supporting the disidents. That is what is happening amid all the useless condemnation of this one man's fundraising.
    See, now it isn't working again? And to be fair, I don't think it's useless for the wider community to show revulsion for the activities of a man who made a living from violence and the sale of drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

But I thought your argument is that it isn't working and needs to be be renegotiated?

It's working for those signed up to it. It may have to be renegotitated, I don't know.
    See, now it isn't working again? And to be fair, I don't think it's useless for the wider community to show revulsion for the activities of a man who made a living from violence and the sale of drugs.

If you believe that that was all this man was involved in, his own personal aggrandisement, then you have been deluded. Remember the same nonsense that Adams and McGuinness where common, self interested thugs? How true do you believe that was, and where is the evidence, the offshore accounts, the lavish lifestyles, the pocketed money, the cars etc. We have had 40 odd years to find out about it, after all.

Pay attention to the comments beng made by his supporters, how this man is viewed by them is what we should be concerned about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Do you really think you are going to find that out by suppression? Good luck with that point of view, it is clear that not everyone was accommadated in the GFA. You can jump up and down and point at the voting statistics all you wish, does not deal with the realities though. People have died and will continue to die.....needlessly. We have been here before, are we going to go the same road again?........looks like it to me.
    Yea, thugs and drug dealers!
    Time to crack down on scum like Ryan and his criminal ilk.

It's working for those signed up to it. It may have to be renegotitated, I don't know.
    But how do you satisfy the more extreme elements on either side at the same time? It makes no sense at all.
    If you believe that that was all this man was involved in, his own personal aggrandisement, then you have been deluded. Remember the same nonsense that Adams and McGuinness where common, self interested thugs? How true do you believe that was, and where is the evidence, the offshore accounts, the lavish lifestyles, the pocketed money, the cars etc. We have had 40 odd years to find out about it, after all.
    It seems that you have more information about this guy than is in the public domain. Would you share it please? Ideally, with some sort of proof.
    Pay attention to the comments beng made by his supporters, how this man is viewed by them is what we should be concerned about.
    Pol Pot had plenty of supporters too - perhaps we should listen to what they say about him, rather than read the history books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not they wouldn't.

The ignorance is unreal.

Ignorance is only to be expected from people who don't know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Bambi wrote: »
    Where did you hear it? :confused:
    From people who know the family. And there were a few articles in the past that mention the Ryan brothers being suspected/arrested for various crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Yea, thugs and drug dealers!
    Time to crack down on scum like Ryan and his criminal ilk.

You always where full of novel solutions. :rolleyes:
    But how do you satisfy the more extreme elements on either side at the same time? It makes no sense at all.
    I honestly don't know. But as I said before, I didn't know how the IRA-Sinn Fein and the Unionists where going to be satisfied, but they have been. You cannot shirk the responsibility to try and try again though and you certainly don't do anything to make it worse and suppressing it, will make it worse.
    It seems that you have more information about this guy than is in the public domain. Would you share it please? Ideally, with some sort of proof.
    I have been sold pups before about various people. I recognise the speil.
    Pol Pot had plenty of supporters too - perhaps we should listen to what they say about him, rather than read the history books?

Listen to what they believe in and tell me you aren't concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

If one can ignore the sentiment of the video there's some decent pics in there so people can get an idea of what the aggro is about

Can't get any idea of what the "aggro" is about from any of those pics to be honest. All I can see are pictures of a load of muppets in fancy dress.

I'm no fan of the catholic church but I'd say the priest who had the misfortune of conducting Ryan's funeral was disgusted by the carry on from these gobsh!tes

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Can't get any idea of what the "aggro" is about from any of those pics to be honest. All I can see are pictures of a load of muppets in fancy dress.

I'm no fan of the catholic church but I'd say the priest who had the misfortune of conducting Ryan's funeral was disgusted by the carry on from these gobsh!tes

Shatter and co. are angry because of how the funeral took place.

• Advertisement

DublinC wrote: »
    Shatter and co. are angry because of how the funeral took place.

Got you, thought Fenian Army was talking about aggro between the RIRA and drug dealers. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

No disrespect, but there's a lot of rhetoric there that does not address the question - how do you satisfy the hardline republicans and the hardline loyalists at the same time?
    Neither will ever be satisfied as both are at extreme different ends. Most IRA volunteers I know supported the GFA and generally it was the ones who didn't understand how politics work that either walked away or became involved with groups like the RIRA. The aims of groups like the RIRA, 32CSM and Eirigi are always limited because first and foremost they're anti-Sinn Fein and they're blinded by what they see as Adams and McGuinness working in the NI Assembley as them supporting British rule which is not the case. These groups have absolutely no support apart from a handful, they are reduced to fighting drug dealers because there is no need for them on a national scale because the war is over and time has moved on.

Groups like the RIRA etc are hardcore fanatical nationalists and there is not one shred of Republican ideals running through them. We need to get back to true Irish Republicanism and look back to the values of the United Irishmen like Wolfe Tone and Emmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

If the fella was making a normal living from it id say fair enough he was true to his beliefs. Whether they were right or wrong they were his beliefs . But the chap thought it was more important to have two fancy cars than to have one normal car and give the rest to his cause .
    But he needed two fancy cars .

cloptrop wrote: »
    If the fella was making a normal living from it id say fair enough he was true to his beliefs. Whether they were right or wrong they were his beliefs . But the chap thought it was more important to have two fancy cars than to have one normal car and give the rest to his cause .
    But he needed two fancy cars .
    it's all image with these lads nowadays, big cars, nice clothes and muscles pumped up. I honestly think most of them think they're Tony Soprano, it's all part of the "image" they want to portray

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

ROI soccer international Anthony Stokes posted this message on Twitter the other day

@stoksey10

Thinking of you Alan...

https://twitter.com/stoksey10/status/244364090171072512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Dotsey wrote: »
    it's all image with these lads nowadays, big cars, nice clothes and muscles pumped up. I honestly think most of them think they're Tony Soprano, it's all part of the "image" they want to portray

I agree with that 100%

To be honest I always thought of these RIRA fellas in Dublin as being a mirror image of the loyalist brigadeers in Belfast. Brutal, flashy with money and a very simplistic grasp of politics and history.

• Advertisement

freddiek wrote: »
    ROI soccer international Anthony Stokes posted this message on Twitter the other day

@stoksey10

Thinking of you Alan...

As if my opinion of that clown could get any lower...

@stoksey10

Thinking of you Alan...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it? Hopefully that clown never puts on an Ireland jersey again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There are black flags hanging outside the burnt out players lounge in Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

It's all goin down on FM104 again...!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

The RIRA are a farce that shoulda been put down like that other abomination, the IPLO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's ridiculous that people like this consider themselves to be "republicans" when they dedicate their lives to tearing apart communities through extortion, drug dealing, violence, fear and bullying. They claim they want a "united Ireland" but they seem determined to destroy the republic that we currently have. These people are the absolute dregs of the earth and it's no loss to Ireland when they're murdered.

The real republicans (although not in the traditional sense of the word) are the people who commit themselves to reversing the damage that thugs like these do, the people who work in the most disadvantaged, drug-riddled areas trying to get people back on their feet. They're the real republicans.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting Ryan was involved with drug-dealing as he and a lot of the RIRA are very vocally against it, my point about drug dealing is more in relation to wider gangland violence in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

@stoksey10

Thinking of you Alan...

his father is associated and seemingly a major scumbag. Ran the players lounge in fairview that had the anti queen banner when she came over.

his father is associated and seemingly a major scumbag. Ran the players lounge in fairview that had the anti queen banner when she came over.
    Does that qualify Stokes' father as being a "major scumbag" though?
    John Stokes is a self confessed member of the 32CSM, he was arrested for having two stun guns and €200 worth of cocaine on him at the Players Lounge in Ballybough last year, but he regularly seized cocaine off customers and handed it into Clontarf Garda station so whether it his or not could be argued. I don't know him personally to say he's a "scumbag" same as I wouldn't call Alan Ryan a scumbag. I'd question Ryan and his gangs merits on republicanism because to me they're essentially mafioso who will feed on cash at any source, take their cut and pass the rest upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I know Stokes's Dad, he isn't a scumbag. Stokes himself is a bit of a fool but not as bad as he used to be, has matured a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

SocSocPol wrote: »
    You are the very one who introduced wild and wholly unsubstansiated allegations about collusion in the first place. Prior to that this was a thread about a lowlife crim who got what he deserved.

Wild and unsubstantiated? Have a read of Stone's book about Milltown.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

I know Stokes's Dad, he isn't a scumbag. Stokes himself is a bit of a fool but not as bad as he used to be, has matured a bit.

John is far from an angel. He was with Alan and two others when they ordered another publican to cease trading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

He's a total scumbag. It was he who got Alan Ryan to force the closure of a rival's pub within 24 hours.

Guns and coke were found on the premises of the Players lounge, which was essentially used as a base for these scumbags.

He was complicit in the burning of his own pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Dotsey wrote: »
    Does that qualify Stokes' father as being a "major scumbag" though?
    John Stokes is a self confessed member of the 32CSM, he was arrested for having two stun guns and €200 worth of cocaine on him at the Players Lounge in Ballybough last year, but he regularly seized cocaine off customers and handed it into Clontarf Garda station so whether it his or not could be argued. I don't know him personally to say he's a "scumbag" same as I wouldn't call Alan Ryan a scumbag. I'd question Ryan and his gangs merits on republicanism because to me they're essentially mafioso who will feed on cash at any source, take their cut and pass the rest upstairs.

I think the two sentences in bold pretty much qualify them as scumbags.

I still stand by my sentiment, that the only way somebody can not see the likes of Stokes or Alan Ryan as scumbags, is if they are themselves scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I think the two sentences in bold pretty much qualify them as scumbags.

I still stand by my sentiment, that the only way somebody can not see the likes of Stokes or Alan Ryan as scumbags, is if they are themselves scumbags.
    Hopefully he will soon be in Portlaoise for his activities, another lowlife crim wrapping himself in the flag of republicanism.

If one can ignore the sentiment of the video there's some decent pics in there so people can get an idea of what the aggro is about
    :pac:
    Directed my Mel Gibson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

On a human level, I wonder at any point during the funeral did any member of ryans family and extended family wonder if the funeral of their beloved was hijacked? Did they enjoy playing second fiddle to the RIRA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

While not a supporter by any means of the RIRA one thing that I couldn't help noticing is the sympathy his local community had for him. Clearly as can be seen from the news and youtube, most of his neighbours had time for the man. I don't buy much into discussions like this, a lot of those denouncing the funeral are often unionists disguising themselves as nationalists giving their location as Dublin, Cork etc And then we have the cranks, the Sunday Independent ' nationalists ' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

:pac:
    Directed my Mel Gibson.
    I think Mel would play him perfectly . Like braveheart but in modern times.

While not a supporter by any means of the RIRA one thing that I couldn't help noticing is the sympathy his local community had for him. Clearly as can be seen from the news and youtube, most of his neighbours had time for the man. I don't buy much into discussions like this, a lot of those denouncing the funeral are often unionists disguising themselves as nationalists giving their location as Dublin, Cork etc And then we have the cranks, the Sunday Independent ' nationalists ' :)
    Unionists? Get a grip man. Sure why not call anybody who doesn't like murderous thugs who make a living from the sale of drugs 'West Brits' and be done with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While not a supporter by any means of the RIRA one thing that I couldn't help noticing is the sympathy his local community had for him. Clearly as can be seen from the news and youtube, most of his neighbours had time for the man.
    Most of his supporters are deluded kids who were told what a great man he was. Speak to those who actually had to deal with him (i.e. publicans and Gardai) and you'll get a much less flattering picture.
    a lot of those denouncing the funeral are often unionists disguising themselves as nationalists giving their location as Dublin, Cork etc
    I'm truly flabbergasted that people like you still exist.

Criticising someone who happens to have republican links, doesn't make any poster a "unionist". The vast majority of Irish people have little respect or condolences to offer for the death of this man. The majority of the population in the republic consider the current nationalist factions to be nothing but criminals and scumbags.
    They have tiny pockets of support where ignorance and violence triumph over reason.

He's a total scumbag. It was he who got Alan Ryan to force the closure of a rival's pub within 24 hours.

Guns and coke were found on the premises of the Players lounge, which was essentially used as a base for these scumbags.

He was complicit in the burning of his own pub.

Stun guns you mean... He used to confiscate drugs from people in the pub and hand them into the garda, he went to great lengths to have a drug free pub, a rarity in that community.

You have any evidence for what you say?

People just slate him because of the queen banner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Plenty of his community had no time for him. You can see that by comments online. I wouldn't fancy saying the same thing into an rte camera unless I wanted a visit from a few of his mates, or I had fire insurance on my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Stun guns you mean... He used to confiscate drugs from people in the pub and hand them into the garda, he went to great lengths to have a drug free pub, a rarity in that community.

:pac: And yet when raided, there were drugs in the pub:D

Boombastic wrote: »
    sombody did mention that the drugs could have been confiscated from a punter, €200 is feck all coke really.

• Advertisement

Yes, which he had confiscated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What about The Castle pub in Summerhill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

seamus wrote: »
    Most of his supporters are deluded kids who were told what a great man he was. Speak to those who actually had to deal with him (i.e. publicans and Gardai) and you'll get a much less flattering picture.I'm truly flabbergasted that people like you still exist.

Criticising someone who happens to have republican links, doesn't make any poster a "unionist". The vast majority of Irish people have little respect or condolences to offer for the death of this man. The majority of the population in the republic consider the current nationalist factions to be nothing but criminals and scumbags.

They have tiny pockets of support where ignorance and violence triumph over reason.
    Unionists? Get a grip man. Sure why not call anybody who doesn't like murderous thugs who make a living from the sale of drugs 'West Brits' and be done with it?
    Well no one more than unionists like murderous thugs in a British uniform such as the RUC, Brit army etc and their apologists down south as we seen during the 25 years of the troubles. Indeed their's a very grey area when it comes to unionists support of British murder gangs without a uniform also as Paisley, Robinson and co. displayed down the years.

And where is the actual evidence that this man Alan Ryan made money from drugs ?? The fact that the local community who would probably in general be unpolitical and certainly not RIRA supporters turned out to show their respects to me indicates that he wasn't the sort of character that Dr Sir Tony O'Reilly's toilet papers are making him out to be.

Any evidence for that?
    I notice that his supporters seem to demand evidence for every bit of negativity about him (newspaper reports don't count for evidence either - they're rags out to sell more copies) but they can make whatever claims they like themselves.

Strange that people persisted with bringing drugs into his pub, isn't it? Perhaps it was ok to sell drugs there once you paid Alan Ryan his cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Post of the week candidate right there :rolleyes:

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, you are not a republican if you dont mourn, rejoice in the life of and support a criminal.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming you have evidence that the drugs in his pub were confiscated?

Well no one more than unionists like murderous thugs in a British uniform such as the RUC, Brit army etc and their apologists down south as we seen during the 25 years of the troubles. Indeed their's a very grey area when it comes to unionists support of British murder gangs without a uniform also as Paisley, Robinson and co. displayed down the years.
    It might astonish you to learn that most people are opposed to murderers regardless of what they are murdering for. This may be an intellectual leap you have yet to make.
    And where is the actual evidence that this man Alan Ryan made money from drugs ??
    Where is the evidence that he didn't? Perhaps you could tell us the highly-paid job that he did to fund his lifestyle - it should be quite easy.
    The fact that the local community who would probably in general be unpolitical and certainly not RIRA supporters turned out to show their respects to me indicates that he wasn't the sort of character that Dr Sir Tony O'Reilly's toilet papers are making him out to be.
    Where is the evidence that he didn't? How do we know they were paying respects rather than just having a gawk at the dead crim?

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have evidence that the drugs in his pub were confiscated?
    In fairness was there evidence otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Cienciano wrote: »
    Any evidence for that?
    I notice that his supporters seem to demand evidence for every bit of negativity about him (newspaper reports don't count for evidence either - they're rags out to sell more copies) but they can make whatever claims they like themselves.

you are wasting your time, posts like this are just ignored because they cant answer them.

for example i've pointed out numerous times in this thread that the drug dealers have no convictions also, so the same mentality should be applied that they too are also innocent of the accusations made by this guy

How odd that the Gardaí saw him coming in every day to them with confiscated drugs and then just went and arrested him for it.

Very. Odd. Almost unbelievable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement