Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

He didn't say where he worked in his post, they came and politely asked for him by name one day when he off duty were told when he was on next, waited outside at the appointed hour and ambushed him in broad daylight on a busy street. I have no real objection, excepting tedium to keyboard warriors unleashing their mighty moral blandishments upon the unsuspecting internet, I merely wished to point out that it may have inherent dangers and consequently contemplated upon why some people, especially it seems those of a hysterical temperament are obsessed with scumbagging strangers on these boards.

My friend was very shocked by this incident he stopped posting on boards and I have just revisited the thread and see he voluntarily removed his post labeling it offensive and regretted making it at all when the Guard spoke to him about it. It was just something he did without thinking.
    This story just gets more and more plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Your mate is a bit of an idiot mentioning where he works then wasn't he.
    Not That I believe you, as you already take exception to calling a group scumbag, I assume that group is the green freedom kind lol, how did they know who to assault in his workplace?
    Was he the only one working there?
    Did you point him out to those classy ladies?:pac:

He didn't say where he worked in his post, they came and politely asked for him by name one day when he off duty were told when he was on next, waited outside at the appointed hour and ambushed him in broad daylight on a busy street. I have no real objection, excepting tedium to keyboard warriors unleashing their mighty moral blandishments upon the unsuspecting internet, I merely wished to point out that it may have inherent dangers and consequently contemplated upon why some people, especially it seems those of a hysterical temperament are obsessed with scumbagging strangers on these boards.

My friend was very shocked by this incident he stopped posting on boards and I have just revisited the thread and see he voluntarily removed his post labeling it offensive and regretted making it at all when the Guard spoke to him about it. It was just something he did without thinking.
    What's that I smell? Is it lamb?....no....horse? .....no.....ah...its bull !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Write to them expressing your sorrow, then. The dead guy has paid the ultimate price for the life he chose. Rejoicing in the murder of a person on the streets of our capital is pathetic and cowardly (and a bit scummy too, imo), regardless of what the dead guy may have done in the past. He isn't the one that's likely to be reading what's written here.

Dont think anyone is rejoicing. But lets face it it is one less person who might harm/kill innocent people.

Feel sorry for family etc, but people like him have ruined and given us bad name in the past.

He could have killed you or me. Just remember that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

This story just gets more and more plausible.

That is because its true. Just read a few pages of posts and it seems that some of this mans friends or relations are on this thread so maybe people should ask themselves can the aggregation of all my previous posts in any way identify myself and if they can then perhaps its time to start deleting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

He didn't say where he worked in his post, they came and politely asked for him by name one day when he off duty were told when he was on next, ..................

If he didn't say where he worked, how did they know where to ask for him politely? Were there no security cameras in the place he worked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

He didn't say where he worked in his post, they came and politely asked for him by name one day when he off duty were told when he was on next, waited outside at the appointed hour and ambushed him in broad daylight on a busy street.

A gang of skanger women came to someone's workplace and asked for him using a message board nickname and the staff not only knew what they were talking about but were happy to oblige them by revealing his movements and didn't think there was anything strange about it?

Link to the thread about a dead scumbag with an edited post by someone who no longer posts or this is bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Boombastic wrote: »
    If he didn't say where he worked, how did they know where to ask for him politely? Were there no security cameras in the place he worked?

There's been enough threads where people have shared their names, schools, neighborhoods, etc. so maybe they went through his post history and pieced together his identity.

Meanwhile, if a gaggle of broads want to fly all the way to Seattle for a smackdown, eh... more power to 'em.

There's been enough threads where people have shared their names, schools, neighborhoods, etc. so maybe they went through his post history and pieced together his identity.

Meanwhile, if a gaggle of broads want to fly all the way to Seattle for a smackdown, eh... more power to 'em.

I must warn my colleagues, if anyone comes in asking about Boombastic from boards, they ain't seen me

Although they would more than likely be met with 'you're bored?:confused:'

I must warn my colleagues, if anyone comes in asking about Boombastic from boards, they ain't seen me

Although they would more than likely be met with 'you're bored?:confused:'

Dude!! You're on post 666 now! It's all downhill for sure.

Dude!! You're on post 666 now! It's all downhill for sure.

You ain't seen me;)

• Advertisement

You ain't seen me;)

Only yer man from The Fast Show can do it justice.
    You ain't seen me, roight!!!

You ain't seen me;)

Whew. You're in the clear now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You know how the RIRA operates, right? You think they get their money from cake sales? :pac:

That's a no then. we'll take it all as just gumflapping so.

latenia wrote: »
    A gang of skanger women came to someone's workplace and asked for him using a message board nickname and the staff not only knew what they were talking about but were happy to oblige them by revealing his movements and didn't think there was anything strange about it?

Link to the thread about a dead scumbag with an edited post by someone who no longer posts or this is bollox.

I have pm'ed you the link.

They didn't ask for him by his boards user name, they asked for him by his name and when he was on not unusual in premises serving the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I see there was a thread locked about the death of Anthony Ward. Funny how it's perfectly fine to make unsubstantiated claims, speculate and share your 2 cents about some things but not others...

Here's the latest on that btw - http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-arrested-over-death-of-anthony-ward-584445-Sep2012/
    A woman has been arrested in connection with the death of 8-year-old Anthony Ward in Charleville, Cork yesterday.

The woman in her 40s has been detained by Gardaí at Mallow station under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

She can be held for up to 24 hours.

Earlier today, preliminary post mortem results indicated that Anthony, who was due to start school yesterday, died from asphyxia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

PM me it as well.

Not that I understand why you'd have to pm a link to a public message on a public messageboard.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    PM me it as well.

Not that I understand why you'd have to pm a link to a public message on a public messageboard.

Me too please

Yeah! Me too!

What is it? A coupon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I see there was a thread locked about the death of Anthony Ward. Funny how it's perfectly fine to make unsubstantiated claims, speculate and share your 2 cents about some things but not others...

Here's the latest on that btw - http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-arrested-over-death-of-anthony-ward-584445-Sep2012/
    We have to stop threads when a person is arrested for it. It's a contempt of court thing, not a double standards thing.

Yeah! Me too!

What is it? A coupon?

It's a boat or a mystery box which do you choose?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

They didn't ask for him by his boards user name, they asked for him by his name and when he was on not unusual in premises serving the public.

Apologies-I stand corrected and I hope your friend is doing ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

humanji wrote: »
    We have to stop threads when a person is arrested for it. It's a contempt of court thing, not a double standards thing.

That thread was closed long before anyone was arrested, rightly so imo, and presumably out of respect for the grieving family? Making claims that can't be backed up, and speculating on details shouldn't be welcome in any thread, regardless of whether or not an arrest has been made.

Ah, that was even more important to close as it was accusing people. Again, it's different to this situation. You can't libel the dead.

latenia wrote: »
    Apologies-I stand corrected and I hope your friend is doing ok.

He got over it and was wiser thereafter.

I am not sending the link to anybody else, you can take what I say at face value or not as you choose.

That thread was closed long before anyone was arrested, rightly so imo, and presumably out of respect for the grieving family? Making claims that can't be backed up, and speculating on details shouldn't be welcome in any thread, regardless of whether or not an arrest has been made.
    The claims that the guy was a scumbag criminal were made by national newspapers when he was alive. If they were not true, why did he not sue and make a fortune?
    He WAS a criminal.

Bambi wrote: »
    That's a no then. we'll take it all as just gumflapping so.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see...
    Ryan became a senior figure in the Real IRA over the past decade and took charge of a group that was largely based around his home area of Donaghmede, where he lived at Grange Abbey Drive, although he also had an address in Co Carlow.

He became involved in faction fighting within the terrorist group and was involved in a serious dispute with the Real IRA's current leader in Dublin, a Cork man living in Tallaght.

But gardai believe his killers were likely to have been hired by one of the many crime gangs that had come into conflict with Ryan over the past few years.

Ryan ran a big extortion and intimidation racket, focusing on pubs, clubs and other premises around Dublin while he also sought to take a slice of the profits built up by crime gangs from drug-trafficking and robberies.

His group also raised funds through providing door security and bouncers for pubs and clubs, resulting in a number of shootings as they clashed with rival criminals.

Gardai are satisfied that over 90pc of the "fund-raising" carried out by the Donaghmede group ended up in their own pockets, with the rest handed over to the Real IRA.
    Lovely man. So sad he's dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

theres a tribute to him on the derry 32csm website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So there is indeed.

The misguided mourning the deluded.

Scumbags of the world unite.

Bunch of cretins.

I do wonder how many of those defending his 'honour' (lol) here would be doing so if he was a conventional crook without the terrorist pretensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I will have sympathy for a RIRA person's family when they have sympathy for the people killed by their relative's group such as Omagh.

There is no excuse for being a member of a terrorist group other than being an amoral toe rag.

Hitler's family thought he was lovely and was only helping his country.

If this guy was involved in even a fraction of what is being alleged then there will be no sympathy from me.

Or those who don't pay any attention to unnamed sources of quotes in the indo

" he also sought to take a slice of the profits built up by crime gangs from drug-trafficking and robberies."

Says plenty when even a rag like that has to couch the accusation with a term like "sought"

so anyway, back to the gum flapping from the assorted, dirty harry wannabes and dick tracy Walts, off yiz go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its not up to any individuals to take the law into there own hands,If Alan ryan was an Criminal/terrorist/ whatever, its not up to anonymous people to drive up and shoot him dead,Its the garda and justice departments job to convict and jail him,If we applaud & condone that kind of action it wont be to long before it will become the norm and soon there will be bodies lying on our streets everyday and no doubt some of them innocent bystanders.

Ah, that was even more important to close as it was accusing people. Again, it's different to this situation. You can't libel the dead.

If you really want to have this discussion on thread:

There are plenty of past instances where threads about the recently deceased were locked due to abusive posts. With no issue of libel or contempt of court either. Keep the thread open if you want but don't pretend that you're applying some standard AH procedure in doing so.

" he also sought to take a slice of the profits built up by crime gangs from drug-trafficking and robberies."

Says plenty when even a rag like that has to couch the accusation with a term like "sought"

so anyway, back to the gum flapping from the assorted, dirty harry wannabes and dick tracy Walts, off yiz go :)
    I'll step aside and let the scumbag apologists take the floor for a while. "He wuz a luvley fella, he wuz", and "he didn't do nattin" - that sort of thing. Gum flapping, I think they call it.

I'll step aside and let the scumbag apologists take the floor for a while. "He wuz a luvley fella, he wuz", and "he didn't do nattin" - that sort of thing. Gum flapping, I think they call it.

I have no idea what sort of a person this fella was, never met him, never even heard of him before he was shot. I do, however, have some experience of how the garda and press hacks operate in these circumstances.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a comprehensive insight into what this fella was up to. Perhaps you're a big swing in the special branch rather just some randomer who read an article in the papers. Though I would suspect not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The pics in the Herald where very bloody.

I thought after reading it that the world is now a better place with him gone.

If you really want to have this discussion on thread:

There are plenty of past instances where threads about the recently deceased were locked due to abusive posts. With no issue of libel or contempt of court either. Keep the thread open if you want but don't pretend that you're applying some standard AH procedure in doing so.
    Closed for completely different issues.

Closed for completely different issues.

Please, do continue with this explanation

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054963419&page=13

The thread from 6 years ago? The thread that was closed 3 years ago? The thread that was closed two years before I was a mod? The thread that was closed while the site had a different set of rules governing it? The thread that was open for 3 years and closed because it was an old thread that would serve no good in being brought back?

Seriously, are you really going to get petty about this? If you've got an issue, bring it up in the feedback forum. There's a thread regarding condolence threads that you can fit this into if you want (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056737961).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

You do realise no one believes anything you write? That you cannot defend the indefensible? That quite frankly, your attempt to curry favour with us by attacking the indo for using the word sought is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Explain the bit in bold. I'm failing to see any "couching"

Lelantos wrote: »
    You do realise no one believes anything you write? That you cannot defend the indefensible? That quite frankly, your attempt to curry favour with us by attacking the indo for using the word sought is laughable

who's the "us" I'm currying favour with here buddy? You? Will this be a hyperbole and bluster curry? The ingredients are right there for that anayway

I've just repeatedly asked where the basis for this fella making a fortune of shaking drug dealers is? So far, we've had a report from the indo citing no sources and a very carefully phrased reference to drug dealers. If you have more on the subject to offer, fire away, should make good reading.

I've just repeatedly asked where the basis for this fella making a fortune of shaking drug dealers is? So far, we've had a report from the indo citing no sources and a very carefully phrased reference to drug dealers.
    One minute you claim you understand how newspaper 'hacks' work, the next minute you express astonishment that they don't name sources for his criminal activities.

I'm confused by this apparent contradiction.

pure scumbag, pure and simple.
    no loss to society.

and yes i would say it to his family, no problem.

I can understand the sense of justice that many may feel knowing that a scumbag has been removed from this earth, but more importantly, while cheering the end of this scumbag is one thing, let's not forget that this scumbag was killed by a murdering scumbag who is still out there.

Tangentially: I am curious if those applauding over this death are also those who are critical of capital punishment.

Tangentially: I am curious if those applauding over this death are also those who are critical of capital punishment.
    I haven't read all the posts, but I haven't actually seen anyone applauding his death. And of course you make a good point - Shane Geoghegan and Anthony Campbell were murdered by the same type of criminal scumbag who offed this particular crim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

let's be honest this guy was never gonna get to use his bus-pass, but i find it difficult to glorify in the brutal murder of another human being as that makes you little better than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

I know a good few in the 32csm and I reckon alot of them have a real taste for the danger and all this living on the edge stuff. They all want to be martyrs to a cause. I don't reckon its worth having your door kicked in the middle of the night so the branch can search through your stuff.

I see a few of them posting on facebook today about his death. Theres no real defence if you've got a hand in the extortion game but presumably this is about them feuding with dealers, which is asking for trouble really.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

I can understand the sense of justice that many may feel knowing that a scumbag has been removed from this earth, but more importantly, while cheering the end of this scumbag is one thing, let's not forget that this scumbag was killed by a murdering scumbag who is still out there.

No, but you can hardly expect anybody here to show one bit of sympathy for a killer who ends up getting killed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

android1 wrote: »
    No, but you can hardly expect anybody here to show one bit of sympathy for a killer who ends up getting killed.

yes but there is a difference between not showing sympathy and glorifying in his murder.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement