Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIRA Man shot dead in broad daylight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bambi wrote: »
    who's the "us" I'm currying favour with here buddy? You? Will this be a hyperbole and bluster curry? The ingredients are right there for that anayway

I've just repeatedly asked where the basis for this fella making a fortune of shaking drug dealers is? So far, we've had a report from the indo citing no sources and a very carefully phrased reference to drug dealers. If you have more on the subject to offer, fire away, should make good reading.
    Every newspaper article I've read has said it. Considering you don't believe newspapers, what source of proof do you want? Do you want a poster from here to go out and interview his friends and make a little youtube video for you? Only for you to tell us "they could be anyone"?
    In fact, how do you know he's dead? The newspapers are probably just saying that cos they'll say anything to sell a few papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Paul Williams has more blood on his hands than anyone.

I kinda agree here. This self styled deputy-sheriff's stories gave The Viper the free advertising that was so necessary in launching his collection firm. Paul has glorified crime in a way that is reminiscent of the papers in Chicago in the early part of the last century. Ask an ordinary cop what they think of Williams .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

To answer your question: you don't have to at all but that's different from being glad about a murder.

People should be concerned that murders are happening at an astonishing (and ever escalating) rate and the police/justice system don't seem to be able to handle it. Compare the number of murders happening now with twenty or thirty years ago... it's shocking.

If he was guilty of crimes then he should have been locked up and that's the only outcome people should be hoping for or glad about.

When people are being shot on the street like dogs it's worrying and when ordinary folk are happy about it it's even more worrying.
    The murder rate isn`t "ever escalating" its actually falling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

humanji wrote: »
    The thread from 6 years ago? The thread that was closed 3 years ago? The thread that was closed two years before I was a mod? The thread that was closed while the site had a different set of rules governing it? The thread that was open for 3 years and closed because it was an old thread that would serve no good in being brought back

C'mon man... did you read the second last post of that thread? It doesn't matter how old it is, or when it was closed, or who was mod at the time. It perfectly demonstrates the very human aspects and effects that these things have on people and most importantly, on families.

You mentioned libel earlier. Is that the only thing that Boards considers these days? 'The dead can't sue' kind of thing... to hell with empathy and common human decency like. I'll dance on his grave while his family look on.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Its a bit rough having this open for his family and friends to see, you just dont know how this could effect someone, He was loved by his friends and family and deserves to rest in peace. Half of the people slating him have been influenced by the papers, from what I've heard he done alot of good in his short life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Its a bit rough having this open for his family and friends to see, you just dont know how this could effect someone, He was loved by his friends and family and deserves to rest in peace. Half of the people slating him have been influenced by the papers, from what I've heard he done alot of good in his short life.

As for it being rough for his family and friends, don't try and suggest his family and friends weren't aware of his illegal activities. I doubt very much any of them are going to be negatively affected by anything in this thread.

He and his kind had precious little respect for others, so why would anyone connected to him be surprised at a lack of concern for him?

Perhaps you should consider the honest business men and women he extorted money from under threat of violence and/or death, bet they won't agree with you on the "done a lot of good" statement.

Profiler wrote: »
    As for it being rough for his family and friends, don't try and suggest his family and friends weren't aware of his illegal activities. I doubt very much any of them are going to be negatively affected by anything in this thread.

He and his kind had precious little respect for others, so why would anyone connected to him be surprised at a lack of concern for him?

Perhaps you should consider the honest business men and women he extorted money from under threat of violence and/or death, bet they won't agree with you on the "done a lot of good" statement.

Ah come off it, how do you know he was doing it? apart from news articles? His family and friends are now going through a very tough time and dont need to be reading all this blood thirsty crap about him, He's dead and not coming back, its tragic and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Stop commenting and bumping it to the front page so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Its a bit rough having this open for his family and friends to see

My degree of sympathy for that line of argument would depend on whether family had knowledge of how the deceased made a living and if so, did they knowingly gain in any material way as a result of those activities.

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    My degree of sympathy for that line of argument would depend on whether family had knowledge of how the deceased made a living and if so, did they knowingly gain in any material way as a result of those activities.

Why dont you go up and ask them instead of posting on an internet forum about ''Sympathy'' If you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all.

Why dont you go up and ask them instead of posting on an internet forum about ''Sympathy'' If you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all.

'Sympathy' was used in relation to your line of argument, I'm surprised that needs to be spelled out. As for posting on an internet forum, your contributions on thread would appear to outnumber mine by a considerable margin.

Given the subject matter at hand, it'd be odd to expect a hushed and eulogistic love-in.

'Sympathy' was used in relation to your line of argument, I'm surprised that needs to be spelled out. As for posting on an internet forum, your contributions on thread would appear to outnumber mine by a considerable margin.

Given the subject matter at hand, it'd be odd to expect a hushed and eulogistic love-in.

My contributions arent full of hatred about the man

My contributions arent full of hatred about the man

Was mine?

Was mine?

Maybe not as much as others no, But there's alot of hatred directed at him, he worked his ass off to eradicate drugs, and also done alot of campaigning for the pows, He was a good man and its not fair for anyone to say he was a scumbag without meeting the man. The media love nothing more to sell papers, If he was such a scumbag why are there so many people devastated? why are so many people defending him? maybe not here but in the real world they are, He will be missed, a terrible loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

RIRA is bad

• Advertisement

He was a good man and its not fair for anyone to say he was a scumbag without meeting the man.

Perhaps you found him so. As the majority of folks did not have the chance to make his acquaintance, they must rely on facts such as his conviction at the Special Criminal Court in 2001 and the fact he was facing a charge for alleged extortion when he met his end. Good people are capable of terrible acts, just as evil men can engage in acts of kindness.
    If he was such a scumbag why are there so many people devastated? why are so many people defending him? maybe not here but in the real world they are, He will be missed, a terrible loss.

Because it's upsetting to lose someone close to you, that's universal. I'd imagine many wept for Martin Cahill or Timothy McVeigh. A family's love tends to be unwavering and unconditional, but that in itself does not by definition make a person good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beigemale

Yamanoto no crimnals can oblect as that gives their line of work away its a 1 sided story

Beigemale wrote: »
    Yamanoto no crimnals can oblect as that gives their line of work away its a 1 sided story

Come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cunny funts

Bad or good a mother and father have lost a son. Things he done and was involved in were been very wrong. But hes gone now, nothing changes that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

The cost of a bullet well spent.

And i know the Mods won't like me posting that but they might even agree with my post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Ah come off it, how do you know he was doing it? apart from news articles? His family and friends are now going through a very tough time and dont need to be reading all this blood thirsty crap about him, He's dead and not coming back, its tragic and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.
    If they don't want to read about what people are saying about a dead criminal member of a terrorist group, a drug profiteer, an extortionist, and a thug, then perhaps they should read some of the many other threads available on this fine website? It's not like people are shouting it in their letterbox.

And has been pointed out, you could stop bumping the thread with your frankly hilarious claims that he was a great guy and loved by all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Firing Squad

R.I.P. Always sad to hear of anyone killed like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A vile criminal is dead, good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

reading this thread is quite amusing sorry I mean pathatic.

Is anyone else fed up with criminal gangs covering themselves with some sort of legitimacy by calling them silly names like ' Real ' IRA or whatever.

Lets call a spade a spade , the RIRA are nothing but a criminal gang who pretend they have a political motive. I don't for one second think any of these organisations gangs represent the large number of real Republicans out there who actually work for a living and try to make this country a good place to live

Reading some of the posters here you would think the victim was a paragon of virtue , I don't for a second think he was. The only drug dealers he ' chased out of town/ dealt with ' were the people who didn't give him a cut ( and some to his ' organisation ' . Legit businesses were bullied if they didn't ' employ ' his thugs on the door.

As for ' loving the country ' I am sure he loved it every week as he collected his dole , used his medical card , sponged in every way he could off the state he worked to undermine .

I do feel sorry for his family , but be clear they lost a son/brother or whatever when he decided that being a criminal beat doing productive and real work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Wozzaah

I read a few comments saying ''You never met the man, So you should not comment, He was a great man'' Sure we never met hitler and he was supposed to be a great man according to his cronnies, yet he was responsible for the murder of 6 million innocent people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wozzaah wrote: »
    I read a few comments saying ''You never met the man, So you should not comment, He was a great man'' Sure we never met hitler and he was supposed to be a great man according to his cronnies, yet he was responsible for the murder of 6 million innocent people...

*claps*

*claps*
    If you can't refute a point, you might as well applaud it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I suppose you were one of the people saying the same thing when charley haughey died. The guy was a scumbag, being dead doesn't change it.

I've got to laugh at all the new registrations on here calling for this to be a sympathy thread.
    "The Fighter", "Firing Squad" etc etc.:pac:
    This isn't a sympathy thread lads, this is AH.

There were death threats to Paul williams and AK on facebook yesterday after they discussed this topic, so you know what type of people you are arguing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Opie

Whatever this fella is alleged to have done, some of the stuff being said about him here is very disrespectful. Not to him, lets be honest there is no smoke without fire, but to his family. I'll say now that i didnt know him, or his family, and I'm neither a republican or a criminal. I just think that some of the things his Mother must be reading about her son a couple of days after he was shot dead in broad daylight must be very hard for her. Also any nieces or nephews having to hear about it is very hard. I dont know the mother, but I'm sure she didnt raise him to become a criminal and she certainly couldn have raised him to die at 32, in the way he did.

In my family, I have an uncle who is a junkie and a thief, an absolute dirtbag if I'm honest, and my Gran did not raise him that way, as her other 4 kids were ok. If he was found dead in the gutter tomorrow, i would shed no tears for him, and would understand people who he robbed from saying "Good enough for him", but i wouldnt want my Gran or young cousins to have to hear it. I know this is a diferent case altogether, but just trying to say that the actions of a son, should not be used to beat the mother. Rant over...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just found out I live 400 meters from where he died. Clongriffin is rapidly gaining a certain unsavoury reputation. Still wouldn't move though, apart from the occasional murder it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

C'mon man... did you read the second last post of that thread? It doesn't matter how old it is, or when it was closed, or who was mod at the time. It perfectly demonstrates the very human aspects and effects that these things have on people and most importantly, on families.

You mentioned libel earlier. Is that the only thing that Boards considers these days? 'The dead can't sue' kind of thing... to hell with empathy and common human decency like. I'll dance on his grave while his family look on.
    Should we lock all threads that might affect someone somewhere at sometime? On the condolences thread in feedback it was brought up about what should be done when Margaret Thatcher dies. Should we stop anyone from saying anything bad about her in case a family member reads it?

If you lead a bad life, then you've no one but yourself to blame if people don't have a lot of good things to say about you. But those here who actually revel in the death are merely showing themselves up as being both pathetic and short-sighted in what this will possibly escalate to. I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to embarrass themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

latenia wrote: »
    This guy was a fckng scumbag and I sincerely doubt some gang of Jacintas has the ability to track me down.

Then you sir are extremely naive. Not all of these criminal gangs are filled with thick knuckle dragging baboons. Quite a few of them would be quite capable of tracking you down by this evening, telling you how much you have in the bank right now and letting you know your tax liability for this year.
    Boombastic wrote: »
    Would these be the distraught innocent brothers and family?

Harsh. With all of the talk and reports there is no mention of his family being involved in crime and undoubtedly they are distraught at this time.

You can't be blamed for the sins of your brother. I had a brother in the Army - doesn't mean that I know how to use a gun. Likewise had a brother in the Navy - I definitely couldn't sail a ship!! Unlikely that his Mother sent him out to do the things that he did either. That was his own decision. If we all did what Mammy told us when we were younger then we'd all be Engineers/Doctors/Solicitors now!! But we don't, we all do our own thing and make our own choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Davidth88 wrote: »
    reading this thread is quite amusing sorry I mean pathatic.

Is anyone else fed up with criminal gangs covering themselves with some sort of legitimacy by calling them silly names like ' Real ' IRA or whatever.

Lets call a spade a spade , the RIRA are nothing but a criminal gang who pretend they have a political motive. I don't for one second think any of these organisations gangs represent the large number of real Republicans out there who actually work for a living and try to make this country a good place to live

Reading some of the posters here you would think the victim was a paragon of virtue , I don't for a second think he was. The only drug dealers he ' chased out of town/ dealt with ' were the people who didn't give him a cut ( and some to his ' organisation ' . Legit businesses were bullied if they didn't ' employ ' his thugs on the door.

As for ' loving the country ' I am sure he loved it every week as he collected his dole , used his medical card , sponged in every way he could off the state he worked to undermine .

I do feel sorry for his family , but be clear they lost a son/brother or whatever when he decided that being a criminal beat doing productive and real work.

To understand eejits like this guy, one needs to understand the culture from which he sprang. There, a different truth obtains.
    Truth, in that environment, is that which represents the interests of the speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FindingMimo

For those who want to live that life, I say - throw them all in an enclosed battlefield and give them a load of weapons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Hannibal Barca.

Kind of sad to see the support this guy actually has. He was a IRA terrorist. Why show any sympathy? He was in a organisation which was more than happy enough to kill a young police officer for no other reason than he was a Catholic. Scumbags the lot of them.

If you can't refute a point, you might as well applaud it.

I'm going to bother arguing with someone who just godwinned themselves off the map? I'd rather applaud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Did he leave behind any kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm going to bother arguing with someone who just godwinned themselves off the map? I'd rather applaud.
    I'm not even sure Hitlers cronies said he was a decent chap!!:)

• Advertisement

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Did he leave behind any kids?

A ladies man usually does.
    Feel sorry for them if he did.

Yes, because 'Godwinning' is some sort of new 'first commandment' of the internet, rather than a catchy joke someone made some years back...if you can't address his point, you'd be better off ignoring it and hoping we don't notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yes, because 'Godwinning' is some sort of new 'first commandment' of the internet, rather than a catchy joke someone made some years back...if you can't address his point, you'd be better off ignoring it and hoping we don't notice.
    ah in fairness it was a pretty lame post re hitler

ah in fairness it was a pretty lame post re hitler
    It wasn't a lame post though, was it? It made the point that people routinely say bad things about people they don't personally know, but know about from news sources and history books. I don't think Hitler being chosen as the example rather than - say - Saddam Hussein invalidates the point, does it?

This Godwin thing is very tiresome at this stage.

It wasn't a lame post though, was it? It made the point that people routinely say bad things about people they don't personally know, but know about from news sources and history books. I don't think Hitler being chosen as the example rather than - say - Saddam Hussein invalidates the point, does it?

This Godwin thing is very tiresome at this stage.

Do you need to have difference between what we know about hitler and what we know about this guy pointed out to you?

Really, do you need that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Ah come off what? The truth? just so you can pretend he was a good man.

He was up on a charge of "demanding money with menaces from a Dublin publican in the north inner city" and had also served time for possession of a fire arm in a separate case. Those are the facts.

He was a thug, he was a criminal, his death does not lessen Irish society in anyway. Yes he is not coming back and Irish society will be glad of that. We need less and less (hopefully, none) of his kind. It's not blood thirsty to say that.

His family knew what kind of man he was, anything they read on here is not news to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you need to have difference between what we know about hitler and what we know about this guy pointed out to you?

Praytell what do YOU know about this guy?

Ive been reading your posts so far and im frankly intrigued.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

humanji wrote: »
    Should we lock all threads that might affect someone somewhere at sometime? On the condolences thread in feedback it was brought up about what should be done when Margaret Thatcher dies. Should we stop anyone from saying anything bad about her in case a family member reads it?

I remember there being a thread speculating about the death of Thatcher, saying that she was on the way out etc. It was closed because of the insensitivity and abuse shown in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056262018&page=8

Are you trying to say that when that woman does pop her clogs, that people will be allowed to post vitriolic claptrap just for the sake of it? Will people be excused from suggesting that her family deserves to see her die because of the stuff she done throughout her life? I doubt very much that will be the case, and hope it isn't. I would go so far as to assume that many of the people posting in this thread will be vocally opposed to senseless abuse of Thatcher when she dies. We'll see...

Please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Harsh. With all of the talk and reports there is no mention of his family being involved in crime and undoubtedly they are distraught at this time.

No mention of his family involved in crime??

Isn't this one of the "notorious Ryan brothers" who run the RIRA in Dublin?

The pictures on the front of some of the tabloids yesterday were pretty full on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I remember there being a thread speculating about the death of Thatcher, saying that she was on the way out etc. It was closed because of the insensitivity and abuse shown in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056262018&page=8

Are you trying to say that when that woman does pop her clogs, that people will be allowed to post vitriolic claptrap just for the sake of it? Will people be excused from suggesting that her family deserves to see her die because of the stuff she done throughout her life? I doubt very much that will be the case, and hope it isn't. I would go so far as to assume that many of the people posting in this thread will be vocally opposed to senseless abuse of Thatcher when she dies. We'll see...
    For the most part, yes, they will be allowed. If it's just a case of excessive abuse for no reason, then people will be held to account. And if it goes overboard, then it'll be shut down.

But have a read through that thread and you'll notice that there's a distinct difference between that and this, namely that people were saying truly insane things there, where as for the most part in this thread, people are showing no sympathy.

You can show a hatred for someone without going overboard, as they clearly did in that thread.

But to be honest, this is not the place for this. It's dragging the thread off-topic. If you want to bring up the subject in feedback then there's the possibility that the site can legislate for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement