Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just checking there is no escape from Bogband for me...?

Options
  • 04-09-2012 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I live in South Cork over 4 km from the local Eircom exchange. I have excellent 3Mbit wireless broadband but this is insufficient for me to be given a homeworking option as the security required needs a fixed line >2Mbit. Commuting currently costs me around 80 euros a week.

If I ring Eircom's call centre I am told I won't even be offered broadband. I actually think 2Mbit at least would work, as we used to have good ISDN, thanks to a special muxer unit but of course we are talking copper wires...

Dear Ireland Offline experts... is there any hope? I was going to drive around looking for my eircom engineer to ask him what is happening in practice on the ground, but I thought it would be more effective to ask you!

Best wishes and keep up the good work. I'm sorry that the politicians don't listen... I vividly recall debating the importance of teleworking with Pat Rabitte at an EU conference in 1994. He thought it was a middle-class only form of self-exploitation then, generally to be opposed. I wonder what he thinks now.

Imogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

imogen wrote: »
    I have excellent 3Mbit wireless broadband but this is insufficient for me to be given a homeworking option as the security required needs a fixed line >2Mbit. Commuting currently costs me around 80 euros a week.

I don't understand this requirement, why is there a "security" issue? If it's because of radio being a shared medium then a good VPN solution will "fix" that.

At 4km from the exchange the max your line will handle would be about 3.5Mbs anyway given an excellent line. So there would be no real benefit going to DSL for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DSL isn't as secure as some wireless systems!

VPN sorts the security anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

imogen wrote: »
    I vividly recall debating the importance of teleworking with Pat Rabitte at an EU conference in 1994. He thought it was a middle-class only form of self-exploitation then, generally to be opposed. I wonder what he thinks now.

Sounds like a man who enjoyed his commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

I thought this thread might be a relevant place for this question rather than start a new one. I use a FWA provider rather than a DSL connection (too far from the exchange plus no room there).

When working from home I vpn into the company network so that I have access to all my main drives. However I can also remote log into a computer in the office so I can work on that like I'm physically there.

Both work fine although with the former I'm never going to drag large files across the network and my laptop and sometimes there is a lag with the latter.

With the latter does it really matter what download speed I have just as long as I have a low enough ping?

Also does a higher contention ratio mean a higher ping?

Advertisement