Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What our councillors cost us

Options
  • 04-09-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

According to the Irish Independent, Waterford County Council spent €697,000 last year on councillors whilst the city spent € 521, 000.

Now people thats over a million euro on salaries and expenses.

Nationally €2.3 million was spent on trips to conferences nationally by councillors.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/23m-bill-for-trips-to-conferences-3217274.html

Councillors in the city and county cost the taxpayer a average of €30,000.

It amazes me how some councillors who are working full time mangaged to draw expenses and salary coming close to €50,000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

There is no point in bitching about it, its not going to stop instead of giving out about it we should try and work out how to get some of those conferences to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I would suggest that during the next local election, remember that they are actually paid and are not involved 9only) for the good of society. Make sure you vote for someone who actually earns their pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Big Lar wrote: »
    There is no point in bitching about it, its not going to stop instead of giving out about it we should try and work out how to get some of those conferences to Waterford.

I think there is a point to complain, why should we accept the ridiculous status quo. The governments lack of action/maintaining status quo has us where we are today, dont upset anyone,TUs, public reps, employees etc
    too many councillors, do nothing, cost too much. Town councils should be scrapped altogether, yet no sign of this happening. Im sure our own councillors could take the lead on this and reduce it to say 5 councillors, Waterford is not that big afterall. Personally I would like to see them as a volunteer position and maybe 50 quid a month for expenses. That way, those involved would be doing it for the good of their home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think there is a point to complain, why should we accept the ridiculous status quo. The governments lack of action/maintaining status quo has us where we are today, dont upset anyone,TUs, public reps, employees etc
    too many councillors, do nothing, cost too much. Town councils should be scrapped altogether, yet no sign of this happening. Im sure our own councillors could take the lead on this and reduce it to say 5 councillors, Waterford is not that big afterall. Personally I would like to see them as a volunteer position and maybe 50 quid a month for expenses. That way, those involved would be doing it for the good of their home town.

That's the way it used to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Bull - Kick the ones that are there for the perks out. Some of the ones we have are no good and despite what they will tell you, they are in it for what they can get out of it not what they can offer. Some of them are even double jobbing, sitting on Waterford County as well as Dungarvan Town Council or Tramore Town Council. Others are also involved in different committees and are getting paid as well to be on such bodies. There is one councillor who lost their seat at the last election who is alleged that they were doing well out of the whole game. They did very little for those that elected him/her, they turned up at meetings, they attended different things they were invited to and put in for mileage for doing so.

• Advertisement

I guess when it comes down to it: SNAs, home help for disabled etc is being cut and i havent seen any public rep stand up and say, where the hell are we goin with these perks/weekends away/free parking etc when the money could be diverted to those causes.

I hate to say and its maybe a bit lazy but it certainly looks like 'they are all the same and in it for themselves'

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Tom Cunningham €34,648
    Davy Daniels, € 31,196
    Jim Darcy € 27,977
    Mary Roche € 48,966
    Jack Walshe € 23,706
    Gary Wyse €24.666
    Pat Hayes € 51,466
    Hilary Quinlan € 39,460
    Dick Roche € 26, 205
    Davy Walsh € 20,000
    John Cummins €31,314
    Cha O Neill €36,071
    Seamus Ryan €42,532

These cost include salary and expenses.

jad2007 wrote: »
    Tom Cunningham €34,648
    Davy Daniels, € 31,196
    Jim Darcy € 27,977
    Mary Roche € 48,966
    Jack Walshe € 23,706
    Gary Wyse €24.666
    Pat Hayes € 51,466
    Hilary Quinlan € 39,460
    Dick Roche € 26, 205
    Davy Walsh € 20,000
    John Cummins €31,314
    Cha O Neill €36,071
    Seamus Ryan €42,532

Shocking truly shocking. How the fuk do they sleep at night, crooks. Poor Mary Roche, she must have gotten another shopping trip to the USA out of us, sure she is a great woman. These crooks dont put their hand in their own pocket for the year, just ours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Looking at it there seems to be a big different between the lower end (Davy Walsh € 20,000) and the top end (Pat Hayes € 51,466) of the pay scale.
    May be no harm to try and cap these expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

As much as I dislike a lot of politicians, I think people are being a bit harsh here. How much do you expect people to get paid for holding a public office? Minimum wage? There is no way you can attract good people to any job without a decent salary. Some Councillors are better than others, clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

This is true.

I'd like to know how many of them hold full time jobs?

I think picking up fifty grand for a part-time job is a bit much these days though.
    Dan133269 wrote: »
    As much as I dislike a lot of politicians, I think people are being a bit harsh here. How much do you expect people to get paid for holding a public office? Minimum wage? There is no way you can attract good people to any job without a decent salary. Some Councillors are better than others, clearly.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I guess when it comes down to it: SNAs, home help for disabled etc is being cut and i havent seen any public rep stand up and say, where the hell are we goin with these perks/weekends away/free parking etc when the money could be diverted to those causes.

I hate to say and its maybe a bit lazy but it certainly looks like 'they are all the same and in it for themselves'

I hope that you are not in a hurry to hear one or more of them to say anything, because not one of them has the balls to do it. Its time people woke up and realised that the majority of them are in the politics game for what they can get out of it and not what they can offer, or they will only try and look after their own small little area. We all know there is Councillors, County, City and Town councillors that come on here, and their mouth pieces do the same. One of them should say straight out that they are against what the government are at and prove it to us, going as far as withdrawing their support for the party if the needs be. For some of the poorer reps that we have this might be a good move as it might get some few more people to vote for them in the next election. It could be a popukist move by them in the eyes of some.

Looking at it there seems to be a big different between the lower end (Davy Walsh € 20,000) and the top end (Pat Hayes € 51,466) of the pay scale.
    May be no harm to try and cap these expenses.

Pat Hayes was the Mayor wasnt he. That might explain his bank balance total. A mayor gets extra perks.

Dan133269 wrote: »

Councillors getting paid is a fairly recent thing. Since they are getting something for all their hard work, the game is attracting all sorts of people. When they were getting little or nothing, I think we were better off as we had people involved that wanted to help the people they represent. No Money talks and B.S. flows as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

jad2007 wrote: »
    Tom Cunningham €34,648
    Davy Daniels, € 31,196
    Jim Darcy € 27,977
    Mary Roche € 48,966
    Jack Walshe € 23,706
    Gary Wyse €24.666
    Pat Hayes € 51,466
    Hilary Quinlan € 39,460
    Dick Roche € 26, 205
    Davy Walsh € 20,000
    John Cummins €31,314
    Cha O Neill €36,071
    Seamus Ryan €42,532

wondering how much is wages and how much is expenses
    i assume Pat Hayes is high because he was Mayor, loads of public appearances, transport, etc

jennygirl wrote: »
    wondering how much is wages and how much is expenses
    i assume Pat Hayes is high because he was Mayor, loads of public appearances, transport, etc

Give him and who ever is a mayor a bus pass for the year and leave him get around that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

In the county you can sit on a Town Council without even living int he country if things are to be believed

Advertisement