Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installed graphics card and now windows will not boot

Options
  • 04-09-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

Recently my graphics card packed it in, I had the Nivdia 8600GS. I decided to go ahead and buy the ASUS Geforce GT 630, at this point I bought a new PSU as well to ensure that I would have enough power for the graphics card (it needs 400W and PSU is 500W).
    I set up the new PSU last night, connected up the motherboard, hard drives etc and plugged in my new graphics card. When I went to load up windows it says there has been a change to windows hardware and gives you an option to start windows normally or through a windows repair set up (not safe mode, I can’t remember the exact term). When I select windows normally the computer just resets. When I select the other option I receive a blue screen which informs me that my BIOS is not ACPI compatible. After a quick google search I tried to find out if I had the most up to date BIOS for my motherboard (I have a Packard Bell Ixtreme X2712) I checked the Packard Bell website but it claims not to have heard of my model of computer, checked through google for the most up to date BIOS for my computer but got no luck.
    I have tried a different card in my computer and it will load up perfectly but for some reason when I put my new card in Windows will not load. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Any help would greatly appreciated.
    (I noticed on the graphics card box today that it requires a minimum of 40A through the 12V line, my PSU has only 34A through the 12V line, could this be the problem? As the computer is turning on and the display is working I am assuming it is okay)
    Link to graphics card: http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-geforce-gt-630-810mhz-2gb-pci-express-hdmi-83D3.html
    Link to PSU: http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-500-watt-cx500-v2-builder-series-80-plus-power-supply-7K9H.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Step 1: Reduce the size of the font.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Have you tried booting in safe mode? (F8 during POST>advanced boot option>Repair Computer>Safe Mode)

If it loads up in safe mode its more than likely your drivers are interfering with the start up. Use this to remove the old drivers if so - http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Sweeper/3000-2094_4-75219868.html

Also try your old card with the new PSU to make sure its ok.

Then make sure the car is seated properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boot an ubuntu disk and see how that fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 halidogg

Thanks for the responses. (sorry about the font size, I copied in the post from a word document.)

I have tried the old card in the PC and it works fine, well apart from everything ebing green as the old card is on its last legs.

I tried uninstalling the old drivers for the graphics card but still no success

Did you plug any connectors directly into the card?

Secondly, have you got the model of your PC/motherboard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 halidogg

There is no connectors to be attached to the graphics card

My PC is a Packard Bell IXtreme X2712 and my motherboard is Packard Bell BV PT890-8237A

Okay, here's what I think could be the issue.
    That's a PCI-Express 2 card and you have PCI-Express 1. Now, in general, these are compatible. However, as well as giving more bandwidth for graphics cards, PCI-Express 2 allows for more power to come from the slot itself rather than the need for extra connectors.

If this is the case, your new card isn't getting enough power through the slot. You'll have to buy a different card that is either lower end or a slightly higher card that has a power connector.

To be sure that that's the correct conclusion, you should still try to boot from a linux live DVD as ED E suggested. It's likely that the card would only crash when it draws more power so you'll have to try and run a game or a graphics test to see what happens.

Advertisement