Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer repair

Options
  • 04-09-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Looking for advice. My desktop computer is gone down. Can anyone recommend a good repair shop in Sligo? Don't want to ripped ofF by someone charging me a fortune to tell me it's broken. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Try the Computers & Tech forum on here. They may "talk" you through a fix that won't cost you a cent!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5

• Registered Users Posts: 3 broo

Me Julie, what's the computer doing when you try to power it on? Does the monitor show anything? Do you hear any beeps coming from the computer? Or do you see any LEDs on the computer itself? What's the make & model?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Mi1o wrote: »
    I can recommend to You Repair zone on stephen street, they have free diagnostic even if You don't want to fix it, I'm try them and they very good.

You seem to recommend them a lot. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Edworks in Wine st car park,very efficient and do a good job.plus free diagnostics included in the repair price

• Registered Users Posts: 12 me julie

broo wrote: »
    Me Julie, what's the computer doing when you try to power it on? Does the monitor show anything? Do you hear any beeps coming from the computer? Or do you see any LEDs on the computer itself? What's the make & model?

Everything was working fine. Just can't connect to the Internet . Tried all the usual. The Internet connection is working but cannot connect on my PC with the Ethernet cable or the onboard wireless adapter.
    I am think is it the network card but are my wired and wireless adapters not separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

me julie wrote: »
    Everything was working fine. Just can't connect to the Internet . Tried all the usual. The Internet connection is working but cannot connect on my PC with the Ethernet cable or the onboard wireless adapter.
    I am think is it the network card but are my wired and wireless adapters not separate.

The wired and wireless adaptors are separate. How do you its not a problem with your broadband connection? Are there other devices in the house that can connect to the internet?

rhonin wrote: »

The wired and wireless adaptors are separate. How do you its not a problem with your broadband connection? Are there other devices in the house that can connect to the internet?

Yes. I can connect other computers to the net both wired and wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Yes. I can connect other computers to the net both wired and wireless.

Have you ran a spyware scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 broo

rhonin wrote: »
    Have you ran a spyware scan?
    Agree, scan for spyware or viruses (make sure you have a uptodate anti-virus), etc..., if it is clean you could also try a system restore to a date when it was previously working:

xp system restore - click start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore, choose the date when it was last working and let it run through the process (this shouldn't affect data files but we should always keep a backup just to be safe, it would only roll back any updates you might have downloaded or any applications you might have installed).

The Windows 7 and windows vista system restore should be found around the same location as above.

Also, make sure your wireless card is not disabled (usually a button somewhere if it is a laptop) and try a different ethernet cable if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

If you have Mc Afee as your AntiVirus software, you should note that a recent Windows Update (usually automatic) affects the way you connect to the internet. I had a similar problem and had to install new Antivirus Software. They're meant to be update their software so you should be able to reinstall Mc Afee again soon if you have a subscription.

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    If you have Mc Afee as your AntiVirus software, you should note that a recent Windows Update (usually automatic) affects the way you connect to the internet. I had a similar problem and had to install new Antivirus Software. They're meant to be update their software so you should be able to reinstall Mc Afee again soon if you have a subscription.

Cheers Plazaman. You were spot on. McAfee problem. Sorted now.

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Looking for advice. My desktop computer is gone down. Can anyone recommend a good repair shop in Sligo? Don't want to ripped ofF by someone charging me a fortune to tell me it's broken. Thanks

Try Linux.

Advertisement