Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny- Most Expensive Hotels In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

When I was studying hotel management, Kilkenny was the third most popular destination in Ireland after Dublin and Killarney. Kilkenny will remain popular for a variety of reasons. Cat Laughs and Arts Week attract many people. We're also an hour away from Dublin so it makes it easy for anyone who wants to get away for the weekend. Kilkenny castle is also one of the most awesome structures in the country. Don't forget your hens and stags on the weekend, we used to have 92 bars in the city (I imagine this has dwindled a bit). Weddings also use up a huge amount of rooms.

Without looking at figures, I'd say you'd get a hotel for half the price Mon - Thur as you would over the weekend. Overall Kilkenny is a very picturesque spot with a lot going on over the weekend. I know hotels are severely feeling the pinch, it wasn't even the most profitable business to be in during the good times and I don't know how local authorities allowed so many bedrooms to be built in the city.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Surely Galway would be more popular after Dublin? And Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

mfitzy wrote: »
    Surely Galway would be more popular after Dublin? And Cork!
    Have to agree. Trip Advisor's Irish Top Ten is

Dublin Dingle Killarney Galway Cork Limerick Westport Tralee Kilkenny Blarney, in that order.

The number of hotel beds in Kilkenny county is 2769 compared to 12656 in Kerry and 10756 in Galway according to Failte Ireland's 2012 figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So you're saying we need more hotels :p
    Surprised none of the big hotel chains have shown an interest or set up in Kilkenny yet. Like Jurys, Bewleys, Crown Plaza, Sheraton etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    So you're saying we need more hotels :p
    Surprised none of the big hotel chains have shown an interest or set up in Kilkenny yet. Like Jurys, Bewleys, Crown Plaza, Sheraton etc.

The company I mostly worked for wouldn't open more hotels in Ireland because of the cost in setting up, they only had three two star hotels in Dublin, Cork and Galway (I think they only have one in Dublin now, Ibis). I was told they were going to open a three/ four star hotel (Novotel, which was the brand I was working in at the time) in Dublin but it never emerged. I assume the over-competitiveness is what would turn hotels off. It's also pretty seasonal here but not as much as Kerry. Mount Juliet was a Conrad hotel (part of Hilton).

As for Kilkenny been behind Dublin and Killarney, that was what I was told in college over ten years ago. I wouldn't have thought as a city we would be behind Galway city in terms of room sales but as a county we'd be behind due to other counties having multiple attractions, like Cork or Kerry, Clare would have hotels like the Limerick Inn serving Limerick city.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Have to agree. Trip Advisor's Irish Top Ten is

Dublin Dingle Killarney Galway Cork Limerick Westport Tralee Kilkenny Blarney, in that order.

The number of hotel beds in Kilkenny county is 2769 compared to 12656 in Kerry and 10756 in Galway according to Failte Ireland's 2012 figures.
    Of that list Kilkenny is the nearest to Dublin. I used to have to have to go out to Lyrath a lot and it always seemed full of much older clients than you'd see out partying in Galway. I think Kilkenny suits a certain demographic and I wouldn't be surprised if this was backed up by stats if anyone can find them.

Advertisement