Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there an etiquette for dropping CVs round to the local schools

• 04-09-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all, every year I end up dropping CVs into the local schools because I havent got work and want to put myself forward for any subbing work that might arise. Recently I was talking with another teacher who is in the same position and the problem is, we seem to have completely different ideas about what schools are looking for. So I was hoping someone with more experience might be able to help us out. Is there a right and a wrong way to drop CVs into schools?

Is there any point asking to speak to the principal or deputy? I know how busy they are and I wonder if its better to stay on their good side by leavign the CV with the secretary....

Whats the best time for handing CVs into a school?

Is it appropriate to address the cover letter to the principal? Is it appropriate to point out that you are a former student of this school?

What do schools think of CVs that are posted or emailed into the school?

Is it appropriate for applicants to call the school to follow up on the CV?

I have only ever gotten a months subbing work from all the CVs I've thrown out so I've never put much thought to it. I never thought there was an etiquette for dropping in CVs as every school has a different way of doing things,but maybe I was wrong...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I would say include a good cover letter that includes your subjects. That way the boss can highlight the subjects and throw. It in the box when it's looked at yours might stand out.

I would address it to the principal and personalise the cover letter. I'd you are dropping in cvs it would be no harm to ask to speak to the principal the worst thing that could happen is that they would say no.

Spell check everything and minimise padding I. Either cv or letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

i've found about 9.45 is a good(ish) time to meet principals - they've dealt with the initial morning rush and are perhaps just ready to begin the day's work -- any time i've rang a school to make an appointment to drop in a cv and asked when would be a good time to catch the principal i've nearly always been told to call in at 10am
    i think it is important for them to be able to put a face to the name so to speak and the last time i dropped in a cv the principal gave me an impromptu mini interview .... haven't heard back from them yet but at least i felt she was taking me seriously and it was a very positive experience. it happened to be a school i went to for a couple of years but i didnt' highlight that in the meeting (it was on the cv though) - i just concentrated on informing the principal of my work experience to date, my flexibility and the range of subjects i've taught to date etc ..
    if it gets me any bit of subbing this year i'll be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I think it's important now to put your Teaching Council number on the CV as you now need to be registered to work. Also, I would make it obvious at a glance what your subjects are. If a principal is looking for someone in a hurry some morning, they don't want to have to wade through your paperwork to find out your subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

bdoo wrote: »
    I would say include a good cover letter that includes your subjects. That way the boss can highlight the subjects and throw. It in the box when it's looked at yours might stand out.

I would address it to the principal and personalise the cover letter. I'd you are dropping in cvs it would be no harm to ask to speak to the principal the worst thing that could happen is that they would say no.

Thanks bdoo, some great advice but I cant imagine popping a CV in without a letter of application or vice versa. It just goes against everything the careers dept ever told me

aunt aggie wrote: »
    bdoo wrote: »

Thanks bdoo, some great advice but I cant imagine popping a CV in without a letter of application or vice versa. It just goes against everything the careers dept ever told me

Well if you saw what I have seen you would wonder if anyone ever spoke to the careers dept. There is a woeful amount of rubbish handed into schools.

Poorly laid out, bad spelling, no mention of subjects.

Dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I personally hate people calling around with CVs because
    a) barely have time
    b) usually a student or parent waiting anyways
    c) nothing to really say than thanks and good luck
    d) most subbing will be thrown up on educationposts anyways.

However every school is different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

i can understand where you are coming from TheDriver
    but
    it HAS worked for me in the past and so i continue to do it
    any leg in the door is vital esp in these harsh times
    i am reassured though bdoo that i must be doing some things right - teaching council number - check; key subjects highlighted at top in bold - check; and i don't know what you'd think of the lay out but i like to think it is practical and user friendly.

i can understand where you are coming from TheDriver
    but
    it HAS worked for me in the past and so i continue to do it
    any leg in the door is vital esp in these harsh times
    i am reassured though bdoo that i must be doing some things right - teaching council number - check; key subjects highlighted at top in bold - check; and i don't know what you'd think of the lay out but i like to think it is practical and user friendly.

Excellent.

Unfortunately you don't have to impress me! I'm not in the higher echelons yet but I do see a lot of what comes in. The bin would nearly refuse it!

It's a hard station I'm sure traipsing around to every school you know looking for work.

Incidentally, my school is in the sticks, and I mean in the sticks not just that it's past the red cow! We find it hard to get subs, have one in who is unqualified this week as there is no one else. Doing Irish though, I gather they are in short supply.

But that's where we find ourselves, I haven't seen a soul in the school looking for work since before the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Thanks for all your replies.. I'll make an extra effort to visit all those schools in the middle of nowhere bdoo. Like the driver said every school is different and its probably impossible to please everyone!! Its jst that time of year where the prospect of been unemployed for the forseeable future is really getting me down.

.....And if I hear one more person say ahh sure maths, you should walk into a job, I'm going to hit them :)

Advertisement