Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

online dating

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hi! I'm Chuck and I like long walks deep into the woods, shovels and bags of lime.
    fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I met someone from here, not really the same thing though, or is it??

Met one guy from a dating site, went great, lovely guy.

Some complete mentlers on it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

pathtohome wrote: »
    Total absolute BS. Women would just flock to the top 20% of guys like they do now EVEN MORE. That's why the monogamy system was created in the first place: to quell female pickiness and hypergamy.

Someone needs to get laid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

mauzo wrote: »
    I met someone from here, not really the same thing though, or is it??

Met one guy from a dating site, went great, lovely guy.

Some complete mentlers on it though

Nah it's fine, you met me sure ;) :pac:

I've run into some headers. One that was into some seriously kinky stuff (with pics even, in hopes of tempting me!) a few couples in their late 30s and let's not forget the lad that wanted to buy my sweaty gym socks :eek:

You can meet many normal people and thankfully they made up the majority for me, and they've actually turned out to be very cool and laid back guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I'm trying it at the moment, but I haven't been on any dates yet, I did get appalling pictures sent to me though and I didn't even ask for it. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Aganica

Online dating sites are full of gold diggers!!!!

I got a number of a girl from an online dating website last week. She was very to the point so to speak!

She invite me to her city center apartment on Saturday night. She asked me for money soon after meeting her there and when I declined herself and her male flat mate, who was wearing a pink suit and feather hat, kicked me out.

My first and last experience of Online dating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭pathtohome

Aganica wrote: »
    Online dating sites are full of gold diggers!!!!

I got a number of a girl from an online dating website last week. She was very to the point so to speak!

She invite me to her city center apartment on Saturday night. She asked me for money soon after meeting her there and when I declined herself and her male flat mate, who was wearing a pink suit and feather hat, kicked me out.

My first and last experience of Online dating

That was a hooker mate, they're the only good thing about life when you're ugly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I tried it and it worked for me. Been with the OH for a year now. Our paths would never have crossed if it weren't for POF. Our interests are just so different. I would really recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Blah, it's all the same. Except online rejection you don't even have to use words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

shalalala wrote: »
    I tried it and it worked for me. Been with the OH for a year now. Our paths would never have crossed if it weren't for POF. Our interests are just so different. I would really recommend it.

It's nice to know that amongst all the whores, gold-diggers, psycho's, fakes, hornbags, pervs and disastrous stories of dates ending with someone having to call the guards - that there are a few people who have done well with the auld online dating. Fair play to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

msg11 wrote: »
    Blah, it's all the same. Except online rejection you don't even have to use words.

But I miss the words, I thrive on rejection, its my secret fetish. it make me feel all funny. I am only attracted to women I can never get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I joined up with a dating site last night and already I've received 3 **** winks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Mate of mine met a burd on it he's with her nearly 4 years

Shes a ****ing tool

Mate of mine met a burd on it he's with her nearly 4 years

Shes a ****ing tool

Ahhhhhhhhhhh you miss your mate.

I am going to sign up for one so lock up your daughters,

Plenty of Fish, lets see how this goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Tried it, was on and off od for about two years. Met some nice guys but nothing ever developed with any of them. Also met some complete plonkers and fruit cakes. All in all, will not be doing.it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I met my second husband on line.

I met some relay lovely men as well.

I think it a great way to meet people but I did meet one or two odd balls the lack of inside people have in to them selves is hilarious, every thing form the..Im 58 but sure what the hell I'll say I'm 45 combined with the utter belief that some babe of 30 is going to be interested in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yep. Been on a few dates. Mostly nice guys, no real weirdos. Got my friend onto it and she's been with her boyfriend over a year.

More people on it these days, more than would let on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Too shy me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You first.

yawn. So annoying this reply.

• Advertisement

Prick! wrote: »

He has a point though!

Larianne wrote: »
    He has a point though!

I don't see why the OPs insight is so vital. That reply just comes across as...how do I put it...."We're way better than other forums, our ops give their opinions first on what they're asking about".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yawn, its part the charter.

Your next post better be in relation to this thread.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yawn, its part the charter.

Your next post better be in relation to this thread.

Sound.

Anywho, was talking to someone from here before and was told it's basically a dating site.

Only for the people of Dublin I assume.

Sound.

Anywho, was talking to someone from here before and was told it's basically a dating site.

Only for the people of Dublin I assume.

Well the only mails I ever got were from mods and they weren't nice mails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't see why the OPs insight is so vital. That reply just comes across as...how do I put it...."We're way better than other forums, our ops give their opinions first on what they're asking about".

Are you actively trying to show us how apt your username is? :confused:

Is the OP looking to try it out or wah? I'd say go for it, but there is a certain way to do it to get dates. Takes a while to get the hang of.

I'd imagine anyone looking for a collection of mickey pictures would do well on some of these sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Met a girl from Seattle and marrying her in a few weeks and expecting our first child in January :)

kowloon wrote: »
    Are you actively trying to show us how apt your username is? :confused:

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Larianne wrote: »
    Is the OP looking to try it out or wah? I'd say go for it, but there is a certain way to do it to get dates. Takes a while to get the hang of.

How do you get the hang of it?
    I just thought you read the ad's, looked at the pics and picked one you like the look of:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I love it. Basically my looks make it easy online to get a girl to be interested, because in real life with girls I'm awkward and dorky which is a turn off but online I know they find me good looking so I'm confident. I don't use 'lovematch' or whatever but I use tagged. I gave up with girls I know they only go for some idiot who was on the seniors in blackrock

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I love it. Basically my looks make it easy online to get a girl to be interested, because in real life with girls I'm awkward and dorky which is a turn off but online I know they find me good looking so I'm confident. I don't use 'lovematch' or whatever but I use tagged

You're so modest :P

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Met a girl from Seattle and marrying her in a few weeks and expecting our first child in January :)

Awesome dude, congrats

I'm not saying I'm universally good looking but I know there is a lot of people who think I'm real good looking so I have to embrace the positivity and ignore the negativity. I'm not arrogant or anything.

I'm not saying I'm universally good looking but I know there is a lot of people who think I'm real good looking so I have to embrace the positivity and ignore the negativity. I'm not arrogant or anything.

Fair enough, nice attitude to have.

I've seen you, I think you're a good looking guy. Personally not my type, but you are very handsome!

Ha thanks, much love :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Online dating just wouldn't be for me. I couldn't imagine ever doing it.

For the record, I think almost any bloke can pull a half decent looking bird at the very least on a night out.
    I have a friend who is not the best looking to be fair, but pulls an amazing amount of good looking birds. He's a one track mind though as soon as he enters a nightclub.

That is an artform, lads who aren't good looking but pull at ease. Gotta admire it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That is an artform, lads who aren't good looking but pull at ease. Gotta admire it.

I think it's all just confidence and putting yourself out there. There's no real special trick to pulling anyone (that I know of :p) but you just try to have the laugh and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm on a few dating sites, haven't had much luck on them though.

For the record, I think almost any bloke can pull a half decent looking bird at the very least on a night out.
    I have a friend who is not the best looking to be fair, but pulls an amazing amount of good looking birds. He's a one track mind though as soon as he enters a nightclub.

My mate is about 5"6 bald from a young age and buck toothed, not the male model type to say the least. He use to pull absolute crackers, he just would not take no for an answer, I have heard some wimmin actually call him an ugly Blah and he would still manage to leave with them. He is funny and he doesn't give a bollox and projects confidence. He once came over to me in a nightclub come-on we are going back to a party with the Italians, I asked wat, they think I am Italian I asked how, I let it slip and we did. He's a legend.

He married way way above his league and still happy.

It really is about confidence, neck and some humour helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I know a guy like that, he looks like Sloth Fratelli and is a complete sleaze (slapping girls arses, hitting on my friends that are in relationships ect) but apparently pulls all the time. Personally id prefer to be celibate than act like that and have most people thinking i'm a twat.

Not so sure, those pickup artist ones are a little creepy for my liking. I wonder if many of them cruise online dating sites looking for vulnerable people to take advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

On the topic of dating sites, i signed up for one of the big ones about 6 months ago but never used it after going through the registering process. To be honest the type of questions asked put me off, im not comfortable talking about how great i am plus i'd have to be a bit fake, don't think i'd get many takers if i filled in the hobbies section with taking drugs, djing and the occasional wa*k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Met a guy on a dating site nearly 3 years ago and we're getting married next year :D

Yeah I reckon the ugly ones who are pulling all the time just never give up and try every possible girl they'd like.

Numbers game I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Around 11yrs ago met online :o back then it was unheard of ! Still together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Have never tried online dating because I can't imagine there being all that many people my age on that whole scene yet. And there's an unreasonable stigma attached to online dating by my peers, "Oh my god, you're doing online dating? Why can't you get a guy in real life" kinda thing. Yet they think its ok to mix up platforms and assume that its ok to write out proposition type messages on Facebook.

Having said that though, I did meet my boyfriend in one of the nerdiest ways possible (playing counterstrike and Diablo II online :o), switched to speaking on Skype and MSN, and he flew over to Ireland a few months after that fateful day he grabbed my attention by pissing me off. We were in a very serious long distance relationship for over a year and unfortunately things didn't work out at the time because of the distance. Still very close though.

Don't think I'll ever tell my friends or family the truth though.. They all assumed I met him that summer in Greece. I just didn't correct them :>

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

I tried it twice. First one lasted for 4mts and we are still great friends. The 2nd attempt is still going strong 2 1/2 years later. There are a load of creeps out there who only register for one night stands but on the flip side it's a great way to state your situation from the getgo. It takes guts to do it but in my case it's the best thing I have ever done :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement