Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

online dating

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

1210m5g wrote: »
    On the topic of dating sites, i signed up for one of the big ones about 6 months ago but never used it after going through the registering process. To be honest the type of questions asked put me off, im not comfortable talking about how great i am plus i'd have to be a bit fake, don't think i'd get many takers if i filled in the hobbies section with taking drugs, djing and the occasional wa*k.

Ahh there is nothing wrong with having the occasional walk. I do it all the time. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Online dating just wouldn't be for me. I couldn't imagine ever doing it.

For the record, I think almost any bloke can pull a half decent looking bird at the very least on a night out.
    I have a friend who is not the best looking to be fair, but pulls an amazing amount of good looking birds. He's a one track mind though as soon as he enters a nightclub.

Dating sites work pretty well for those have moved on from 'pulling a half decent looking bird' in Coppers just to get the roide! Good way to meet people who aren't drunk!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

cena wrote: »
    How many of ye have tried. How did it go for you.

I for one, see no shame in it whatsoever, but would be a bit reluctant to say that I met a girl online for the reason that it might make me look a little less sociable. I have tried it, but failed. I did meet my current girlfriend (who might I add, is amazing :) ) online (not a dating website) but through a hilarious cock up on my part :P

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I met my gf on twitter. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Katreena

Newbie here! :D I've never tried it myself but I think it's a lot more acceptable now to say you're signed up to one of these websites, there's a lot less stigma attached to it. Might give it a go in the future but right now I'm happy doing it the old fashioned way-few drinks for dutch courage on a night out with your mates and chat to anyone :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I used to use Online dating to meet new people back in the day, however that was before I took an arrow to the knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Tried it. Thing about Ireland is that there are hardly any women on them anyway, and the few that you will find in your area are complete weirdos/landwhales/etc.

The one normal nice looking girl that I found in the entire country lived over 100 miles from me.

and before anybody says my standards are too, they're not. There are hundreds of "stunners" or whatever you want to call them on it, but that type of girl doesnt interest me at all and nearly all of them had terrible personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm on Plenty of Fish for about a year now, there are alot of people on it all right.

I met my ex thru a dating site a few years ago but haven't had much success since I became single again.

It's amazing the amount of early 20s people that are on it though, when I was that age I was in nightclubs every weekend and that's how I used to meet women, the only reason I joined a dating site is I'm not really into the pub scene anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Im on a few. I think they are so handy.

Have a date on Thursday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm on Plenty of Fish for about a year now, there are alot of people on it all right.

I met my ex thru a dating site a few years ago but haven't had much success since I became single again.

It's amazing the amount of early 20s people that are on it though, when I was that age I was in nightclubs every weekend and that's how I used to meet women, the only reason I joined a dating site is I'm not really into the pub scene anymore.

Reality of it is these are the same people who are out every weekend in the pub or club scene. The same people hooking up randomly with people. Internet dating sites have just become another way to meet new people. which is nothing wrong with that on the surface ...

However, lets be frank. Do these people really want to "date" or have "relationships" or are being on a dating site just another avenue to meet new people and have fun ... of course tho, on their profiles they have to state "not looking for just sex" ... :rolleyes: ... yeah sure they aint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Tried it, hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Hi! I'm Chuck and I like long walks deep into the woods, clay pigeon shooting, and bizarre sex.

Sold, sold and SOLD!

PM me.

I live on the internet. It made sense to date on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

I met my boyfriend via online dating we now bought a house together
    But there was quiet a lot of weird strange people on there plus married men!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Went to some ukrainian dating site looking for the ride only. Ended up marrying her 2 years later. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

It tempts me. Sick of the same routine that is the niteclub/pub. Plus i find girls (not all) can be pretty rude on nights out. I am a reasonably good-looking bloke and far from a sleaze. Some women have you put down before you even say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i think everyone should just link their plenty of fish profile and get the shame over and done with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Anyone genuinely interested should check out the Online Dating thread in The Gentlemen's Club, lots of people who use OD chat about their experiences in there. It might help make your mind up if you are on the fence about doing it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Reality of it is these are the same people who are out every weekend in the pub or club scene. The same people hooking up randomly with people. Internet dating sites have just become another way to meet new people. which is nothing wrong with that on the surface ...

However, lets be frank. Do these people really want to "date" or have "relationships" or are being on a dating site just another avenue to meet new people and have fun ... of course tho, on their profiles they have to state "not looking for just sex" ... :rolleyes: ... yeah sure they aint.

That's a pretty sweeping generalisation of early 20s people.

I'm early 20s (23 to be precise), I go clubbing/pubbing most weekends like pretty much everyone my age does, and I used OD for about 6 months. I NEVER 'hook up' with someone on a night out, I might kiss someone but that's it, because casual sex is not something I have any interest in.

Since pretty much every guy you talk to or kiss in a club wants casual sex, OD was easier for me because I don't want casual sex, I wanted to date someone and just see where it led. Ended up with a lovely boyfriend for a while, and now prefer just being single. If I get sick of being single, I'll be back on POF because it was a very easy way to meet guys that weren't just after sex, once you filter out all the weirdos and sleazy guys.

So please don't tar us all with the same brush. We're not all whores and playas looking to get laid, tyvm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Met 3 guys, one I kinda knew, turned out to be a piece of ****. Second guy, was a bit of a nut job.

Third is a star :) We met last year, but he got cold feet and ended it after a few weeks, but wee got back together a few months ago and we are really happy. <insert smug smiley here>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Met 3 guys, one I kinda knew, turned out to be a piece of ****. Second guy, was a bit of a nut job.

Third is a star :) We met last year, but he got cold feet and ended it after a few weeks, but wee got back together a few months ago and we are really happy. <insert smug smiley here>

You must have changed electrologist ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Don’t see anything wrong with it but haven’t used it myself yet.
    Friends that have used it and like it seem to be the ones that can handle that many guys are only after one thing and women lie about their age. The honest ones seem to get the most out of it as beginning a relationship on a lie is not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

LyndaMcL wrote: »

I'm early 20s (23 to be precise), I go clubbing/pubbing most weekends like pretty much everyone my age does, and I used OD for about 6 months. I NEVER 'hook up' with someone on a night out, I might kiss someone but that's it, because casual sex is not something I have any interest in.

Since pretty much every guy you talk to or kiss in a club wants casual sex, OD was easier for me because I don't want casual sex, I wanted to date someone and just see where it led. Ended up with a lovely boyfriend for a while, and now prefer just being single. If I get sick of being single, I'll be back on POF because it was a very easy way to meet guys that weren't just after sex, once you filter out all the weirdos and sleazy guys.

So please don't tar us all with the same brush. We're not all whores and playas looking to get laid, tyvm.

The irony.
    You tell me not to tar everyone with the same brush but then you state "since pretty much every guy you talk to or kiss in a club wants causal sex" ... now who is making sweeping generalisations ;) But I understand what you meant. Most but not all (thats what i also meant you know)

But lets step back and look at online dating and the pub/club scene. Many girls say most blokes in bars are assholes looking for sex. They would be right. But many guys also say most girls are assholes in bars too. They are also right. I think we can agree there are alot of assholes in bars :P

But heres the thing ... online dating is popular as ever. The same assholes who goto these bars are on dating sites! You mightn't be that type. But there are a plenty who are.

So all we have now is alot of people using a dating site as another avenue to hook up with people. "John from tallaght on here to find the one" - is really looking to find the next one... or "Suzie from clondalkin DO NOT MESSAGE ME FOR SEX! I want to find mister right" - can be the same girl who had a one night stand on saturday. She only wants mister right now.

The irony.
    You tell me not to tar everyone with the same brush but then you state "since pretty much every guy you talk to or kiss in a club wants causal sex" ... now who is making sweeping generalisations ;) But I understand what you meant. Most but not all (thats what i also meant you know)

But lets step back and look at online dating and the pub/club scene. Many girls say most blokes in bars are assholes looking for sex. They would be right. But many guys also say most girls are assholes in bars too. They are also right. I think we can agree there are alot of assholes in bars :P

But heres the thing ... online dating is popular as ever. The same assholes who goto these bars are on dating sites! You mightn't be that type. But there are a plenty who are.

So all we have now is alot of people using a dating site as another avenue to hook up with people. "John from tallaght on here to find the one" - is really looking to find the next one... or "Suzie from clondalkin DO NOT MESSAGE ME FOR SEX! I want to find mister right" - can be the same girl who had a one night stand on saturday. She only wants mister right now.

Lol, that was pretty deliberate irony. :P

I don't know too much about that. Most (not all) of the guys I've seen on OD sites who want casual sex tend to have that specifically noted in their profiles. I've never had a creepy message from somebody who is 'looking for a relationship,' but have had plenty from people who 'aren't seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

LyndaMcL wrote: »

You've kind of contradicted yourself there. Is it not possible for 2 people who are not just after sex to meet in a bar or club and end up seeing each other for a while? I think it's the creep mentality more so than the actual creeps that makes the pub/club scene more difficult to meet someone.

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    You've kind of contradicted yourself there. Is it not possible for 2 people who are not just after sex to meet in a bar or club and end up seeing each other for a while? I think it's the creep mentality more so than the actual creeps that makes the pub/club scene more difficult to meet someone.

I did point out that I was using generalisations deliberately. :p

But yeah, I agree with you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I signed up for one because I haven't got the time to go places I might meet someone. Irony is that since I signed up, my free time has decreased even more and I haven't even bothered messaging anyone because I don't have time to.

Guess I'm just going to be single a while longer.

Advertisement