Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland

• 04-09-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

An article from a few years back but still an eye-opener. One of the saddest and most pathetic stories I've yet to read. Some people need to get a life.

*You'll have to copy and paste the link to read full article

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/larkhall-scottish-town-where-sectarianism-is-so-strong-in-that-shops-have-had-to-repaint-their-green-fronts-16204244.html?r=RSS
    Larkhall: Scottish town where sectarianism is so strong that shops have had to repaint their green fronts

Companies setting up shop are forced to change their livery. Traffic lights are smashed in defiance. It seems astonishing that a town could detest something so much, but Larkhall does.

For it is green that provokes so much ire in this Lanarkshire town just outside Glasgow. Yes, the colour.

So far, the contempt with which the emerald tint is held in the town has prompted the sandwich chain Subway to change its traditional signage to black and the local pharmacies to switch their frontage to blue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Just wait until they see the grass..

Do they see red when they see green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Traffic lights are smashed in defiance.

This has got to be up there as one of the stupidest things I have read in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just wait until they see the grass..
    Article says they've tried burning it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The link does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Teferi wrote: »
    I don't care.

Coming into this thread was a great idea then, wasn't it.

Teferi wrote: »
    I don't care.
    Why post then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Haha, pathetic people are pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The upside is that there's also a snot-embargo.

• Advertisement

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    The link does not work.
    You'll have to copy and paste the link to read full article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

they are probably just angry they are not part of an irish kingdom any more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

grenache wrote: »
    Article says they've tried burning it :D
    There have even been claims that drunken youths have attempted to set fire to grass.

Had to read it to believe it :D . They must really hate the colour green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

An article from a few years back but still an eye-opener. One of the saddest and most pathetic stories I've yet to read.

True... they should be hating the English instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

larkhall ....they are just having a lark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rangers Supporters Clubs in the past also got their pool tables recovered - changed green to blue.

Agree that some people need to get something real to worry about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

The whole damn town should be given the Darwin award. This also made me laugh:

"But perhaps the most high-profile example of the town's hue-hatred came in 2006 when Graeme Dott, one of Larkhall's most famous sons, won snooker's world championship.
    The tournament is sponsored by 888.com, whose colours are green and white. Dott refused to show the trophy at Ibrox Park, home of Rangers, unless the ribbons were swapped for blue"

A fcuking snooker player!! Does the idiot want the green baize on the snooker tables changed as well? Tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

They say you judge a man by his enemies, so if some sheep shagging tool bags in the arse end of Scotland have a problem with Irish people I reckon we need to try harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ha, the fools. Don't they realise that Soylent Green is nicer then Red or Yellow? Moar for me.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

There must be some serious traffic problems in Larkhall with two reds and an amber on the traffic lights, and nobody ever crossing the road because the green man never appears at pedestrian crossings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I take it they don't eat their greens either. Fish suppers and beer bellies all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

thats great - at least they won't be coming over here on their holidays.

let them stay where they are - sure what do we care about what colours their pool tables are. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Didn't Gaelic tribes set up a kingdom at once stage in Scotland? Would be mad if it turned out all those people had Irish blood in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

thats great - at least they won't be coming over here on their holidays.

let them stay where they are - sure what do we care about what colours their pool tables are. ;)

To be fair, the don't actually hate Irish people per se, they just don't like the decendents of Irish immigrants from the time of the famine. Oh and anything related to Glasgow Celtic(same thing really:rolleyes:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Some people in that part of the world have a chip on their shoulder generally in my experience, it's not just anti-Irish, it's anti-everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is it anti Irish, or just anti Celtic FC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Do they all consume dye to discolour their piss?

Can't imagine they'd be too happy with green stuff flowing from their very bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Fizman wrote: »
    Do they all consume dye to discolour their piss?

Can't imagine they'd be too happy with green stuff flowing from their very bodies.

If your piss is green can i suggest you go to see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Article is dated almost four years ago. Wouldnt have taken many of these ultras to throw in £10 each and rescue Rangers FC. I guess the paint for the fence was more important - these people are just vandals hiding behind a cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If your piss is green can i suggest you go to see a doctor.

I'm grand. It's to do with the specific multi vitamin I take. It's actually luminous. So pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Augmerson wrote: »
    Didn't Gaelic tribes set up a kingdom at once stage in Scotland? Would be mad if it turned out all those people had Irish blood in them.

The name Scotland literally translates as "Land of the Irish". Back in late antiqiity the word Scot identified an Irish person as the Scotti were an Irish tribe identified by the Romans.

The name Scotland literally translates as "Land of the Irish". Back in late antiqiity the word Scot identified an Irish person as the Scotti were an Irish tribe identified by the Romans.

... and then along came opposing brands of Christianity to fuck the whole thing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

I live in Glasgow. One Saturday doing the Subcrawl (14 stops on the subway, pint at each), we were in the southside, type of place we always avoid. Group of lads went in for a pint. I was wearing a jacket with a v neck, under which my green t-shirt was visible. I was wearing a green t-shirt that day due to having a clean green t shirt, not for any political/foorball reason. 2 steps in the door - local comes up to me - "ya cannae be wearing green in here". I was afraid to reply, if he was that upset about a green t-shirt, what would he do about an irish accent. In general, it's only a few losers in small sh*thole pockets of the city that are like that, most people are fine and don't give a **** about things liks that. Most awkward pint of life. Had to decide between not having one thus failing the subcrawl or possibly dying.

I live in Glasgow. One Saturday doing the Subcrawl (14 stops on the subway, pint at each), we were in the southside, type of place we always avoid. Group of lads went in for a pint. I was wearing a jacket with a v neck, under which my green t-shirt was visible. I was wearing a green t-shirt that day due to having a clean green t shirt, not for any political/foorball reason. 2 steps in the door - local comes up to me - "ya cannae be wearing green in here". I was afraid to reply, if he was that upset about a green t-shirt, what would he do about an irish accent. In general, it's only a few losers in small sh*thole pockets of the city that are like that, most people are fine and don't give a **** about things liks that. Most awkward pint of life. Had to decide between not having one thus failing the subcrawl or possibly dying.

Were you all shook up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Oh to have been there the day rangers imploded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

An article from a few years back but still an eye-opener. One of the saddest and most pathetic stories I've yet to read. Some people need to get a life.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/larkhall-scottish-town-where-sectarianism-is-so-strong-in-that-shops-have-had-to-repaint-their-green-fronts-16204244.html?r=RSS

what kind of songs do celtic supporters sing?
    it works both ways

I could never work out why some of my ancestors moved from Ulster to Scotland in the 19th century, out of the frying pan into the fire. Perhaps it was slightly better then, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Fizman wrote: »
    I'm grand. It's to do with the specific multi vitamin I take. It's actually luminous. So pretty.

Berocca I bet. Urine nearly stains the porcelain it's so discoloured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

In the main thats a lot of rubbish nowadays I know a few people who live there and having spent a lot of time there,its changed drastically from the old days

• Advertisement

See this is feasible but you don't mention you could have been wearing a blue t-shirt and walked into another pub but got the same reaction,purely because of the blue it works both ways. Its unfortunate but in any city you will get your fair share of nutters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

For the life of me I can't understand all this sectarianism is happaning now, specially in light of the fact that the NI troubles are over.

Yes there have been some riots in NI over the last few nights, but the main event is over (which I guess fed into Scottish sectarianism)?

You'd never guess it was 2012 up there!

LordSutch wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't understand all this sectarianism is happaning now, specially in light of the fact that the NI troubles are over.

Yes there have been some riots in NI over the last few nights, but the main event is over (which I guess fed into Scottish sectarianism)?

There doesn't need to be "trouble" in NI for the sectarian simpletons to be on the prowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, there's somewhere I've just struck off my list of places to do business in!
    Clearly they must all share the one medieval brain cell too.

In the main thats a lot of rubbish nowadays I know a few people who live there and having spent a lot of time there,its changed drastically from the old days

Much as I agree with you Broxi, I think the word 'drastically' is a bit of an exaggeration . Larkhall is still a place where your not welcome if you have even a tinge of green about you(me, cos of my green eyes too:)).

Madam wrote: »
    Much as I agree with you Broxi, I think the word 'drastically' is a bit of an exaggeration . Larkhall is still a place where your not welcome if you have even a tinge of green about you(me, cos of my green eyes too:)).

Nah was there a couple of months ago and had a green jacket on in the Pub people didn't care. Also the Asda thing in that article is wrong when they applied for planning permission they sent out forms to all the residents asking if they should change the colour and they got an overwhelming no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

A thug with one brain cell detected my Irish accent and started at me and my friend one day in Glasgow.

We walked away.

The irony was that my friend was a player on the Scottish National Rugby Team.

Pal wrote: »
    A thug with one brain cell detected my Irish accent and started at me and my friend one day in Glasgow.

We walked away.

Jeez you can get that anywhere not just Glasgow. I got growled at in Derry because I happen to have a Glaswegian accent **** happens there are idiots everywhere

See this is feasible but you don't mention you could have been wearing a blue t-shirt and walked into another pub but got the same reaction,purely because of the blue it works both ways. Its unfortunate but in any city you will get your fair share of nutters

Oh, I ofter wear blue(my favourite colour) in certain pubs in town - I don't say anything if folk think I'm one of 'them', in fact I kinda like being undercover if you like:p

Pal wrote: »

We walked away.

Thats pretty unusual in Glasgow - most folk are very welcoming no matter where your from.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement