Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I knew that Scottish people have a reputation for disliking their green vegetables, but this is just plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Glasgow was always known for it's sectarianism, a local told me yonks ago if was Belfast without the bombs. I went to an old firm game it was savage and imbecilic, I never would go again and I haven't supported Celtic since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'm baffled as to why the average scot would have a beef with the Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

It seems traffic lights are enough for us.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMRE_Tipperary_Hill_upside_down_traffic_light

Theres a wiki page aswell if you would prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"There have even been claims that drunken youths have attempted to set fire to grass."

Absolute fecking genius. Can just picture the drunken Rangers fans clutching a lighter in one hand a can of Tennants in the other bawling at the grass; "Light ya Fenian basta!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Something fishy about the story.

Paul McStay is from there. Past captain of Celtic with over 500 caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Why would that make the story 'fishy'? Most people here who have been to Larkhall or know of the area wouldn't argue with the point that there is/was a real problem with secteranism in the place. Some people are trying to eradicate it but as in other parts of the West Coast of Scotland(and NI) it will take time.

Btw I bet in Paul McStay's time he couldn't wait to get out of the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Pal wrote: »
    A thug with one brain cell detected my Irish accent and started at me and my friend one day in Glasgow.

We walked away.

The irony was that my friend was a player on the Scottish National Rugby Team.

Probably the wrong guy to start on so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

How does that affect the veracity of the article?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

grenache wrote: »
    Article says they've tried burning it :D

Really sums up what kind of idiots they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Scotch like to batter things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

The Scottish seem to hate everyone and have always had a chip on their shoulders. Many people in England do not like to deal with them as they are so aggressive. I know of loads of employers in England who would hire Irish before a Scot.

I think some of the Scots even hate Sean Connery.

How does that affect the veracity of the article?

He spent his entire football career at Celtic. If it were as bad as it is made out, it would have been very difficult for someone from there to play in green and white.

A few muppets giving a whole area a bad name. Have we learnt nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Scottish seem to hate everyone and have always had a chip on their shoulders. Many people in England do not like to deal with them as they are so aggressive. I know of loads of employers in England who would hire Irish before a Scot.

Robert Cummings isn't aggressive.

My Scottish relatives aren't aggressive either, and they'll fight anyone that says they are.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The stupidity of humanity never ceases to amaze me.

That said, I assume the story has been treated to a healthy amount of exaggeration.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The stupidity of humanity never ceases to amaze me.

That said, I assume the story has been treated to a healthy amount of exaggeration.

C U jemmy! Are yous callin' himaliar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Subway thing seems to be true, although I doubt how much business they do, sandwiches not exactly deep-fried enough for the average Scottish palette.

He spent his entire football career at Celtic. If it were as bad as it is made out, it would have been very difficult for someone from there to play in green and white.

A few muppets giving a whole area a bad name. Have we learnt nothing?

I think you'll find he didn't stay there long after he made it into the first team:)

Did all his family and friends leave with him?

I don't take news paper articles as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Jeez you can get that anywhere not just Glasgow. I got growled at in Derry because I happen to have a Glaswegian accent **** happens there are idiots everywhere

Never mind Derry, good old friendly Donegal can be one of the worst places to be Scottish/British and supporting Rangers. Imagine being in your local pub as an 11 year old boy, with your dad, brothers (also Rangers fans) and friends (who were all celtic fans), and to be threatened with violence if you didn't "get that top off you wee dirty orange bastard", like my wee brother was.

Or to go through school being known as the orange bastard to certain people, to be referred to as the unionist or a lover of the queen by your history teacher just because of your accent/where your from/who you support, like happened me.

I'm a catholic by the way, so it's impossible for me to be the orange bastard they thought I was.

Thankfully none of the ended in violence for me, but I know people who it did end in violence for because they have a scottish or english accent.

Again, the majority, especially those who know us, were/are perfectly fine, I have no problems wearing my Rangers top around, I don't let people get to me, but there's still plenty who are blinded by hatred. Everywhere has their idiots, to base your opinion on Scotland or Rangers fans (as some seem to have done in here) on an over exagerrated article makes you just as bad.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Again, the majority, especially those who know us, were/are perfectly fine, I have no problems wearing my Rangers top around, I don't let people get to me, but there's still plenty who are blinded by hatred. Everywhere has their idiots, to base your opinion on Scotland or Rangers fans (as some seem to have done in here) on an over exagerrated article makes you just as bad.

Gawd! You make it sound like your an alien or something:rolleyes:

btw Have you ever been to Larkhall(or you would know the article isn't really all that exagerrated)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I was in Glasgow a couple of years back to watch the Pixies. I couldn't get a ticket for their shows in Dublin so me and my mates got on a plane, and went over.

It coincided with an old firm game and the atmosphere in the city was downright scummy. Fights breaking out left and right - public drunkenness to a degree you'd only see in Dublin on Paddy's day. It felt like a menacing place to be altogether.

Even at the gig there were really shitty vibes which is odd for a Pixies concert.

I won't be going back there in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Madam wrote: »

btw Have you ever been to Larkhall(or you would know the article isn't really all that exagerrated)?

Yes it is I go to Larkhall frequently and know many people there. Yes Larkhall is predominately Protestant so you get numpties but not to far away there is Carfin which is predominately Catholic and guess what they have the same type of numpties only they have attached themselves to an opposing view. It is crazy I know many good people from both areas and some of the statements on here are laughable.
    I was in Glasgow a couple of years back to watch the Pixies. I couldn't get a ticket for their shows in Dublin so me and my mates got on a plane, and went over.

It coincided with an old firm game and the atmosphere in the city was downright scummy. Fights breaking out left and right - public drunkenness to a degree you'd only see in Dublin on Paddy's day. It felt like a menacing place to be altogether.

Even at the gig there were really shitty vibes which is odd for a Pixies concert.

I am sure you will be missed :rolleyes:. You do know that most arrests on an old firm day turn out to be from areas other than Glasgow funnily enough even from over here. People need to realise there are good and bad people everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Article is dated almost four years ago. Wouldnt have taken many of these ultras to throw in £10 each and rescue Rangers FC. I guess the paint for the fence was more important - these people are just vandals hiding behind a cause.

They are scottish remember

Where you in the city centre? Seems odd that there would be fights as most fans stick to their own side of town on Old Firm days, besides tourists are usually pretty safe here - the knuckledraggers will usually only target other knuckledraggers!

Please come back, Glasgow is a very enjoyable city to visit(if you know the right places)! Btw Glasgow and the surrounds gets more visitors than Edinburgh because of the clubs, restaurants and shopping alone- not to mention most Glaswegians(and incomers like myself)are the friendliest bunch of people you could ever wish to meet(yes even some of the old firm fans ).

Strange that Madam when I first moved back here I was made to feel like an alien ;)

I don't make it sound like anything, I told it as it is.

Well I don't generally base opinions on places I haven't been too. I'm well aware of what Larkhall is like, but as BBE says Carfin is the same just the opposite side of the divide.

If this is anti-irish sectarianism, then those in Carfin are a confused bunch considering the anti british sectarianism they show, living in Britain and all that.

If it was later on at night you would get some fans in the city centre. Old Firm days bring out the worst in/of people, it's game then straight home for me when I'm at them.

• Advertisement

Strange that Madam when I first moved back here I was made to feel like an alien ;)

Oh come on Broxi, when you moved back you must have known you'd get some stick! After all Rangers supporters in Donegal are almost as rare as hens teeth:)

Oh come on Broxi, when you moved back you must have known you'd get some stick! After all Rangers supporters in Donegal are almost as rare as hens teeth:)

Ah right that makes it all OK then :rolleyes:

I've yet to meet a Scot I haven't liked.

A grand bunch of lads and lassies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Where you in the city centre? Seems odd that there would be fights as most fans stick to their own side of town on Old Firm days, besides tourists are usually pretty safe here - the knuckledraggers will usually only target other knuckledraggers!

Please come back, Glasgow is a very enjoyable city to visit(if you know the right places)! Btw Glasgow and the surrounds gets more visitors than Edinburgh because of the clubs, restaurants and shopping alone- not to mention most Glaswegians(and incomers like myself)are the friendliest bunch of people you could ever wish to meet(yes even some of the old firm fans ).

Glasgow is a kip. The dreariest city in the uk by quite some distance.

If it was later on at night you would get some fans in the city centre. Old Firm days bring out the worst in/of people, it's game then straight home for me when I'm at them.

Yes, most fans make their way home or go to a 'friendly' pub nearer to home:)

I can understand though that a visitor to the city when an old firm game is on can feel a bit inTIMidated:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was in Scotland last week, it was pretty uneventful, tried Haggis. It's really nice.

Yeah thats why the tourism industry is booming because people find it dreary :rolleyes:

Ah right that makes it all OK then :rolleyes:

Now don't be getting all defensive with me(I used to be one of yous once you know!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Builder, may I ask, what part of donegal were you in?

• Advertisement

Now don't be getting all defensive with me(I used to be one of yous once you know!).

I know you told me before. Not defensive at all it can't be wrong in one way and right in another

I know you told me before. Not defensive at all it can't be wrong in one way and right in another

Och, I'm just winding you up - don't be taking me to seriously:)

Och, I just winding you up - don't be taking me to seriously:)

I am not your OK :p

retalivity wrote: »
    Builder, may I ask, what part of donegal were you in?

Quite a bit of it over the years, went to college in Letterkenny, live to the west of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I was in glasgow a couple of years ago for a concert, tried to get tickets for the old firm match too but couldn't. Was still in the City at the time of the match. Night before, me and my mates got talkin to a rangers fan for most of the night. Wore Celtic colours and didn't have a word said to us, even walking past bars full of rangers fans. Didn't get any kind of bad vibe either so it's not always like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Birmingham is all. Depressing, grey, concrete, constantly 1971, Birmingham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Where do Larkhall residents elope to? Gretna Blue?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Yes it is I go to Larkhall frequently and know many people there. Yes Larkhall is predominately Protestant so you get numpties but not to far away there is Carfin which is predominately Catholic and guess what they have the same type of numpties only they have attached themselves to an opposing view. It is crazy I know many good people from both areas and some of the statements on here are laughable.

I am sure you will be missed :rolleyes:. You do know that most arrests on an old firm day turn out to be from areas other than Glasgow funnily enough even from over here. People need to realise there are good and bad people everywhere

I won't be missed; Glasgow will go on as always without me, I'm sure. I just gave an honest impression of my experiences there over two days. And yes, I know that there are good and bad everywhere...

chughes wrote: »
    Where do Larkhall residents elope to? Gretna Blue?? :D

Ouch lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Quite a bit of it over the years, went to college in Letterkenny, live to the west of that.

West Donegal is like East Antrim: Hilly, miserable weather, and very close ties to Scotland (particularly Glasgow). Only difference really is what side of the fence they're standing on.

retalivity wrote: »
    West Donegal is like East Antrim: Hilly, miserable weather, and very close ties to Scotland (particularly Glasgow). Only difference really is what side of the fence they're standing on.

East Donegal has more in common with Scotland than the West after all most of their ancestors came from there! Besides having the best farming land in Ireland that is:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement