Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Madam wrote: »
    East Donegal has more in common with Scotland than the West after all most of their ancestors came from there! Besides having the best farming land in Ireland that is:)

Think you might find that an awful lot of Scots can trace their roots back to good old West Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Think you might find that an awful lot of Scots can trace their roots back to good old West Donegal

I can trace mine back to Ayrshire in the early 18th century on my father's side,. On my mothers side all the way from Gweedore in the 19th:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

See link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZxxHbJGbY

Dedicated to all the anti Irish Muppets out there.......

doolox wrote: »
    See link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZxxHbJGbY

Dedicated to all the anti Irish Muppets out there.......

Yeah because we don't have enough Irish racists here to be worried about ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

grenache wrote: »
    ... *You'll have to copy and paste the link to read full article ...
    Why do I have to do that? What if I don't want to read this ancient (in newspaper terms) article? What if I disobey you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

They steal our jobs! They steal our wimminz! But they'll never steal our freedom!

*smashes a stop light*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mathepac wrote: »
    Why do I have to do that? What if I don't want to read this ancient (in newspaper terms) article? What if I disobey you?

AIDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Is this real? I mean, could anyone, or a town, really be that pathetic?! It's hilarious :P

I'd love to go into their town at night and just throw green paint on everything :pac:

Lucario wrote: »
    Is this real? I mean, could anyone, or a town, really be that pathetic?! It's hilarious :P

I'd love to go into their town at night and just throw green paint on everything :pac:

That would just make you every bit as bad as the few there that give the whole place a bad name

That would just make you every bit as bad as the few there that give the whole place a bad name

Totally :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lucario wrote: »
    Totally :rolleyes:

Your attempt at sarcasm is as bad as you wanting to through Green paint all over the place ;)

Your attempt at sarcasm is as bad as you wanting to through Green paint all over the place ;)

I know right? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Birmingham is all. Depressing, grey, concrete, constantly 1971, Birmingham.
    Have you been to Birmingham since 1971? If you think Birmingham's depressing, your town must be fúcking amazing.

On topic, I know dozens of Glaswegians, I was drinking with them in Cavan two weeks ago and will be with them this weekend. Scots are the nicest, funniest and friendliest people around. But there's still a terribly sectarian mindset. I was up in Glasgow for a fleadh about 2 years ago, my dad went out into the city centre and was caught behind an Orange March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The only part of Scotland I've been to is Edinburgh and I was absolutely bowled over by how lovely the people were. Way nicer than here - and people are nice here.
    Sadly there is some appalling sectarian crap in Glasgow and apparently elsewhere in Scotland, but no way should a minority of knuckle-draggers be used to taint Scottish society in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

brummytom wrote: »
    my dad went out into the city centre and was caught behind an Orange March.

Rather that than a nun in a Micra.

brummytom wrote: »
    Have you been to Birmingham since 1971? If you think Birmingham's depressing, your town must be fúcking amazing.

On topic, I know dozens of Glaswegians, I was drinking with them in Cavan two weeks ago and will be with them this weekend. Scots are the nicest, funniest and friendliest people around. But there's still a terribly sectarian mindset. I was up in Glasgow for a fleadh about 2 years ago, my dad went out into the city centre and was caught behind an Orange March.

Its funny but most of the bigots I know and I know plenty from both sides are what I would call 90 Minute Bigots they shout and scream obscenities and then forget about it. Its pathetic really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Rather that than a nun in a Micra.
    I have still yet to see a funnier sight than 4 nuns getting into a 3 door car.

Madam_X wrote: »
    The only part of Scotland I've been to is Edinburgh and I was absolutely bowled over by how lovely the people were. Way nicer than here - and people are nice here.
    Sadly there is some appalling sectarian crap in Glasgow and apparently elsewhere in Scotland, but no way should a minority of knuckle-draggers be used to taint Scottish society in general.

Your right but that sectarian crap is also in Edinburgh you just don't see it as much. The vast majority of people in Scotland are friendly reliable people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Glasgow is a kip. The dreariest city in the uk by quite some distance.

You've obviously never been to Middlesbrough or Slough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Send in The Hulk,they'll have a real problem with green then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Shouldn't that town be called the stupidest town in Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I take it they don't eat their greens either. Fish suppers and beer bellies all round.

It's scotland, nobody eats any vegetables at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Have to say that 99% of Scots I've dealt with have been bang on sound, and I've never been given any trouble most of the time while over in Scotland. Still though you'll get the occasional muppet, often a drunk Rangers fan in a Glaswegian pub after one too many having an old stab at the Irish or Catholics, certainly a very small minority of people.

As for the town in question, the whole place is like something out of a Monty Python's Flying Circus episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Who care what they think.

Any Scot I ever worked with sweats heavy and smells like sh1t . Massively over weight and vulgar to the point I cant be in the same room as them. The three that I had the misfortune to work with, where the same.

So ....... I would far rather be green:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's scotland, nobody eats any vegetables at all.

In the same way that everyone in Ireland is a sexually repressed alcoholic? :D

I think Larkhall is twin-towned with Beirut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

dttq wrote: »
    Have to say that 99% of Scots I've dealt with have been bang on sound, and I've never been given any trouble most of the time while over in Scotland. Still though you'll get the occasional muppet, often a drunk Rangers fan in a Glaswegian pub after one too many having an old stab at the Irish or Catholics, certainly a very small minority of people.

As for the town in question, the whole place is like something out of a Monty Python's Flying Circus episode.

The same amount as you get of drunk Celtic fans, having a stab at Protestants or people proud to be British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I was on the recieving end of some pretty negative anti-Irish sentiment from 1st and 2nd generation Scots living in Canada, I thought they were joking at first but it was far from it. The Scottish loyalists are no fans of the Irish, sure thats where some of the uda have retired to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I take it they don't eat their greens either. Fish suppers and beer bellies all round.
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the nature boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I was on the recieving end of some pretty negative anti-Irish sentiment from 1st and 2nd generation Scots living in Canada, I thought they were joking at first but it was far from it.

What were they saying to you? How did you respond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

woodoo wrote: »
    What were they saying to you? How did you respond?

I was invited along to a stag party in Toronto of a friend of a friend. There was on particular group there, all family members whos father is originally from Glasgow, who were wearing Rangers scarves when I arrived. The Scottish guy's son asked me 'are you Irish', when I replied yes, he said 'fcuk, no...' They were the only words he spoke to me that night. I took a trip to the jacks and after I came back, words to the effect of 'watch out for the smell in there, the Irish guy has just been in'...
    Before this incident, one of these guys friends that I know a bit better, would refer to Derry as Londonderry in front of me, as if to see how I would react, he also poured scorn over Ireland's presidency of the EU back in 2002.. those types of digs intending to antagonise etc.

Listen, it was neandrathal stuff, these guys are what they call 'white trash', I didn't respond the way they wanted me to. I just picked out a few more intelligent people to hang out with.

On another note, the word 'Scirish' in Ontario refers to Scots-Irish, generally meaning Northern Irish. Many northeners emigrated to Canada because they held a commonwealth passport, and to this day there is an Orange parade on the 12th of July down Younge Street in Toronto. I saw one in 2003 and it was very big (2-3 thousand). They consider themselves to be (in their own words) 1 quarter Irish, and 3 quarters British

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Should we organise a few buses and head over some weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You've obviously never been to Middlesbrough or Slough.

I know a few northern english people and they all said Middlesbrough is the most miserable dreary horrible place in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Teferi wrote: »
    I don't care.

Surely you can't be that narcissistic to think we give a shít?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Scottish guy's son asked me 'are you Irish', when I replied yes, he said 'fcuk, no...' ... I took a trip to the jacks and after I came back, words to the effect of 'watch out for the smell in there, the Irish guy has just been in'...

You should have invited the pricks down to the busiest Irish bar in the city - they'd have STFU pretty quick.

These dullards define themselves by their hatred of all things Irish - what kind of ****ed up 'culture' is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Birmingham is all. Depressing, grey, concrete, constantly 1971, Birmingham.
    This.

Birmingham makes Glasgow seem like paradise. It's like a miserable giant concrete slab.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Rather sad and pathetic. Simliar in many ways to the reluctance of many Irish places of business, hotels etc, to fly the Union Jack, during the multitude of public events during the last Irish presidency of the EU. The best thing you can do is see it for what it is, move on and enjoy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

narddog wrote: »
    Rather sad and pathetic. Simliar in many ways to the reluctance of many Irish places of business, hotels etc, to fly the Union Jack, during the multitude of public events during the last Irish presidency of the EU. The best thing you can do is see it for what it is, move on and enjoy life.

Not flying the flag of oppression is a far cry from hating the colour green because of idiotic bigotry.

EDIT: I've just realised how stupid they actually are for hating a fecking colour. Little to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

baz2009 wrote: »
    Not flying the flag of oppression is a far cry from hating the colour green because of idiotic bigotry.

EDIT: I've just realised how stupid they actually are for hating a fecking colour. Little to be doing.

Have the British ever oppressed you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Larkhall hailed as community wins anti-sectarianism award for hard work carried out tackling bigotry.

It seems they've cleaned up their act a bit. On google streetview their Subway is black, is that a common colour for Subways?

With regard to Scotland, I've been over loads of times, never encountered even the vaguest hint of sectarianism. Scottish and Irish usually get on like a house on fire, despite the history of sectarian strife shared across the two countries. One of my best friends in Glasgow is a dyed in the wool Celtic head while her long term partner is a Rangers supporter.

baz2009 wrote: »
    narddog wrote: »

So being anti British is ok, but being anti Irish isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yes, of course it is. Get with the programme man. That's a wholly (in)consistent position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not flying the Union Jack isn't anti-British. One can differentiate between the symbolism of a flag, and the people of a country. For many - the Union Jack (Or Union Flag rather) is a symbol of oppression and colonialism. That doesn't imply that someone holds British 'people' in a negative regard.

It's completely different to hating random green objects, because one actually detests Irish people.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not flying the Union Jack isn't anti-British. One can differentiate between the symbolism of a flag, and the people of a country. For many - the Union Jack (Or Union Flag rather) is a symbol of oppression and colonialism. That doesn't imply that someone holds British 'people' in a negative regard.

It's completely different to hating random green objects, because one actually detests Irish people.
    Is it really completely different? Or is it just a matter of degree?

Not flying the Union Jack isn't anti-British. One can differentiate between the symbolism of a flag, and the people of a country. For many - the Union Jack (Or Union Flag rather) is a symbol of oppression and colonialism. That doesn't imply that someone holds British 'people' in a negative regard. It's completely different to hating random green objects, because one actually detests Irish people.

Really?

Could we then dismiss the actions at Larkhall as being anti Irish republicanism and not as a hatred of the Irish themselves?

Apparently the Irish republican movement is getting a bad name in Scotland for meddling in their politics.

Is it really completely different? Or is it just a matter of degree?

Yes, it's completely different. Nobody tried to oppress Scottish people with green spoons and green hats. A flag is not just a random array of colours. It is a symbol, and in the case of Ireland - the Union Flag is a symbol of the British presence in Ireland. I've got nothing against the British people, but I'm not going to pretend in some fake sense of good-will pretend that the British colonial presence in Ireland was a positive one. A view shared, not only in Ireland - but in many places around the world who suffered under British occupation.

I would argue that it is no different than a Jewish person stating that they dislike Nazi symbols, but have no ill-will towards German people. While Nazi symbols are long gone from German politics, the Union Flag has not changed.

To try and compare that, with hating arbitrary green objects is just disingenuous.

Really?

Yes, really.
    Could we then dismiss the actions at Larkhall as being anti Irish republicanism and not as a hatred of the Irish themselves?

If they were burning Irish tricolours, and symbols of Irish republicanism (IRA banners, etc..) - then sure, I could accept that it was anti Republicanism. But this seems to completely transcend that, and I think the majority of the posters in this thread recognise it as nothing more than petty hate without any genuine reason for doing so.

I don't remember Irish people attacking Scotland with green traffic lights, do you?

Yes, it's completely different. Nobody tried to oppress Scottish people with green spoons and green hats.
    And British people are not oppressing anyone here either. Snap!

Really?
    Yes, really.
    If they were burning Irish tricolours, and symbols of Irish republicanism (IRA banners, etc..) - then sure, I could accept that it was anti Republicanism. But this seems to completely transcend that, and I think the majority of the posters in this thread recognise it as nothing more than petty hate without any genuine reason for doing so. I don't remember Irish people attacking Scotland with green traffic lights, do you?

I don't see any anti Irish slogans either, just a dislike for a colour worn by a rival football team.

And British people are not oppressing anyone here either. Snap!

No, it's not 'snap'.

Britain has oppressed, up to very recent history the people of this island. That is a documented fact. You're going to have to accept the idea that many people are still not prepared to hoist up the flag of a nation, that allowed it's soldiers to gun down innocent civilians, and then never hold them accountable for doing so - or a state that systematically gerrymandered a state to remove any political power from the nationalist population. (A few of many events that occurred under the banner of the Union Flag).

I'm not arguing that you at a personal capacity have to reject hoisting the Union Flag. I'm arguing that there is a legitimate case for people who don't wish to do so, and that it no way, shape or form could be compared to breaking green traffic lights.

• Advertisement

I don't see any anti Irish slogans either, just a dislike for a colour worn by a rival football team.

According to the article, it's not merely an attack on a rival soccer team or Republicans, but Irish Catholics as a whole also. It is absolutely sectarian in nature.

So is it just a dislike of colour, or is it an act of sectarianism?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement