Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bet the other bigoted towns were green with envy after subway changed their colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it's not 'snap'.

Britain has oppressed, up to very recent history the people of this island.
    So...not any more then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

grenache wrote: »
    This.

Birmingham makes Glasgow seem like paradise. It's like a miserable giant concrete slab.
    it may be dull,but it doesent stop 70,000 irish people living there,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

So...not any more then?

The flag has not changed. By your argument, Jews should no longer have any emotional predisposition to Nazi flag, because they are no longer being oppressed. Do you see how ridiculous your argument is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Hannibal Barca.

According to the article, it's not merely an attack on a rival soccer team or Republicans, but Irish Catholics as a whole also. It is absolutely sectarian in nature.

So is it just a dislike of colour, or is it an act of sectarianism?
    Evidence of this? Or did you just make it up?

• Advertisement

No, it's not 'snap'.

Britain has oppressed, up to very recent history the people of this island. That is a documented fact. You're going to have to accept the idea that many people are still not prepared to hoist up the flag of a nation, that allowed it's soldiers to gun down innocent civilians, and then never hold them accountable for doing so - or a state that systematically gerrymandered a state to remove any political power from the nationalist population. (A few of many events that occurred under the banner of the Union Flag).

I'm not arguing that you at a personal capacity have to reject hoisting the Union Flag. I'm arguing that there is a legitimate case for people who don't wish to do so, and that it no way, shape or form could be compared to breaking green traffic lights.
    oppressing the irish people ? ,strange considering six million irish born citizens [and going up] have decided to make the UK home,they must be a strange race,either that or you are living in your own little world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Interracial love

rangers-celtic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The flag has not changed. By your argument, Jews should no longer have any emotional predisposition to Nazi flag, because they are no longer being oppressed. Do you see how ridiculous your argument is?
    Exactly which country uses the Nazi flag? Do you see how ridiculous your argument is?

Comparing the Union flag to the Nazi flag, goodness me. The thousands of black and Jewish people and people of all colours and creeds in the UK and it gets compared to a flag which was anti all that. Possibly the worst argument of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Glasgow is a kip. The dreariest city in the uk by quite some distance.

You've obviously never been to Middlesbrough or Slough.
    I'll take your Middlesbrough, and raise you..............Hull!

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275786/Article/images/15770587/3691308.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't see any anti Irish slogans either, just a dislike for a colour worn by a rival football team.
    According to the article, it's not merely an attack on a rival soccer team or Republicans, but Irish Catholics as a whole also. It is absolutely sectarian in nature. So is it just a dislike of colour, or is it an act of sectarianism?

The article tries to imply that, to add a bit of outrage factor, but it doesn't actually state that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sin City wrote: »
    Interracial love

rangers-celtic.jpg

That goes back to when Ntl was with us as was old firm games!

i was one going to relocate with my company to hull,true the city is a mess,but those villages on the out outskirts are a dream,nearly bought a house in beverly over looking the racecourse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I'm baffled as to why the average scot would have a beef with the Irish

Me too. I thought we were on the same side in Braveheart.

ASDA goes blue in Larkhall.
    I kid you not.
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/the-lovely-town-of-larkhall.827734/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

According to the article, it's not merely an attack on a rival soccer team or Republicans, but Irish Catholics as a whole also. It is absolutely sectarian in nature.

So is it just a dislike of colour, or is it an act of sectarianism?

Really? Where is the proof its an attack on Irish Catholics? Are the traffic lights Irish Catholics? Is the subway sign an Irish catholic?

To say its absolutely sectarian in nature is bull****, because you clearly have no proof other than that over exaggerated article.

The west of Scotland has become a haven for over exaggerated bull**** like this, with Rangers and Celtic used by the media and politicians as an excuse for societal problems.

This isn't an attack on Irish Catholics, it's simply an immature dislike of all things green, because being such a large rangers supporting area, they hate Celtic.

Unfortunately, things aren't allowed to be simple anymore, everything is sectarian or bigoted or racist. It might be very immature, but this is simply just a dislike of the colour green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

TheBuilder wrote: »
    This isn't an attack on Irish Catholics, it's simply an immature dislike of all things green, because being such a large rangers supporting area, they hate Celtic.QUOTE]

Says it all really(the word 'hate'). Oh and as I said before these people are not anti-Irish Catholics they just love to hate Irish Catholics(or their descendents)who just happen to be Celtic supporters.

Madam wrote: »

Says it all really(the word 'hate'). Oh and as I said before these people are not anti-Irish Catholics they just love to hate Irish Catholics(or their descendents)who just happen to be Celtic supporters.

No they hate Celtic and some Celtic fans, it's nothing to do with being Irish Catholics or descendants of them. I'm an Irish catholic, I have friends from Larkhall who are big Rangers men.

Not everything is black and white, that's the problem with Scotland today as I said above, everything is attached to race, religion, nationality just to be offended.

No they hate Celtic and some Celtic fans, it's nothing to do with being Irish Catholics or descendants of them. I'm an Irish catholic, I have friends from Larkhall who are big Rangers men.

Not everything is black and white, that's the problem with Scotland today as I said above, everything is attached to race, religion, nationality just to be offended.
    The traffic light oppression must stop as it is anti Rome and that is just wrong. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Really? Where is the proof its an attack on Irish Catholics? Are the traffic lights Irish Catholics? Is the subway sign an Irish catholic?

To say its absolutely sectarian in nature is bull****, because you clearly have no proof other than that over exaggerated article.

The west of Scotland has become a haven for over exaggerated bull**** like this, with Rangers and Celtic used by the media and politicians as an excuse for societal problems.

This isn't an attack on Irish Catholics, it's simply an immature dislike of all things green, because being such a large rangers supporting area, they hate Celtic.

Unfortunately, things aren't allowed to be simple anymore, everything is sectarian or bigoted or racist. It might be very immature, but this is simply just a dislike of the colour green.

Up Next in AH : why those fans who threw bananas at john barnes were'nt really racist.

Bambi wrote: »
    Up Next in AH : why those fans who threw bananas at john barnes were'nt really racist.

Yeah cos that's the same thing :rolleyes:

Actually can't believe it's being suggested smashing a green traffic light is on a par with throwing bananas at a black man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Totally different situation of course that was racist, same as the folk who chanted monkey noises and through bananas at Mark Walters. But as has been stated as an Irish Catholic who has many friend in Larkhall I have yet to experience any anti Irish sectarianism there sure I have had stupid digs but then I have handed out a few of my own. But never had any serious problems

Yeah cos that's the same thing :rolleyes:

Actually can't believe it's being suggested smashing a green traffic light is on a par with throwing bananas at a black man.

It's not the same thing. Making the same excuses for it is though. Sectarianism is sectarianism. Racism is racism.

"its just banter"
    "they don't mean it like that"
    "it's only because of xyz team"

Heard it all before I'm afraid

It's not the same thing. Making the same excuses for it is though. Sectarianism is sectarianism. Racism is racism.

"its just banter"
    "they don't mean it like that"
    "it's only because of xyz team"

Heard it all before I'm afraid

Since when did smashing a green light equate to sectarianism? Or is it because the newspaper article says so?

As I said, not eveything has to be rounded up to sectarianism or bigotry. That's scaremongering and allowing people to develop opinions without having the smallest of idea's of what is actually happening.

Since when did smashing a green light equate to sectarianism? Or is it because the newspaper article says so?

As I said, not eveything has to be rounded up to sectarianism or bigotry. That's scaremongering and allowing people to develop opinions without having the smallest of idea's of what is actually happening.

Bambi doesn't believe that someone who was involved in the RIRA, was involved in criminal activity even though there was a conviction and every newspaper reported it.
    I'd say his motives are biased to ****.

What you omit to say is that you are a Catholic Rangers supporter(are you a practising one though?). So I'm to be hated because I'm a Celtic supporter? I fnd that really offensive if thats the case!

Wee story, I once went out with a protestant Rangers supporter, I got on well enough with the family but on the mother hearing where I came from was really riled, said to her son(within my hearing) 'oh no son, bad enough that she's Irish but a Catholic(went out with him for nearly two years for badness;) ).

What you omit to say is that you are a Catholic Rangers supporter(are you a practising one though?). So I'm to be hated because I'm a Celtic supporter? I fnd that really offensive if thats the case!

Wee story, I once went out with a protestant Rangers supporter, I got on well enough with the family but on the mother hearing where I came from was really riled, said to her son(within my hearing) 'oh no son, bad enough that she's Irish but a Catholic(went out with him for nearly two years for badness;) ).

Yes I am a practicing one, I go every Sunday, actually often with my top on then straight to the pub afterwards for the early kick offs.

I never said that, but in places with strong connections to a team like Larkhall or Carfin on the other side of the coin, you will get people that hate others simply because of the football team they support, I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

Not every single things comes down to religion or where someone is from, I'm not saying there aren't still people who that matters to because there is, but not everything comes down to it like the media and such like to suggest.

It really is quite simple, that article is sensationalising the whole thing, and turning it into something it isn't.

Bambi doesn't believe that someone who was involved in the RIRA, was involved in criminal activity even though there was a conviction and every newspaper reported it.

Oh that's interesting, someones trying to thread link. Maybe you can show me where I said this person wasn't involved in criminality. Then I'll show you how full of sh*t that statement is. Good man

Then you can tell me what my motives are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Don't make this person. Stick to the topic.

Yes I am a practicing one, I go every Sunday, actually often with my top on then straight to the pub afterwards for the early kick offs.QUOTE]

Sorry, I just read that back and realised I shouldn't have asked you that question - none of my business if you go to mass or not- call me a hypocrit if you like as I'm a lapsed catholic:o

At the end of the day I think this is more about tribalism than actual religion(though that has a smallish part to play).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The local residents will be hulk-green with anger when they see what Wikipedia have done:

680px-Scotland_in_the_UK_and_Europe.svg.png

Sorry, I just read that back and realised I shouldn't have asked you that question - none of my business if you go to mass or not- call me a hypocrit if you like as I'm a lapsed catholic:o

At the end of the day I think this is more about tribalism than actual religion(though that has a smallish part to play).

Not at all, I've no problem with being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Glasgow is a kip. The dreariest city in the uk by quite some distance.

Sorry, but with respect you're talking utter pish.

Glasgow:

Has the best shopping outside of London in the UK
    Has great nightlife - designer stores and style bars in the merchant city and cafe culture in the west end
    A top class, vibrant music and arts scene
    Fantastic architecture befitting the 'Second city of the Empire'
    Glaswegians are among the friendliest people you will meet

I know - I lived there for 16 years and still return regularly (for Rangers games, gigs and good times).

Of course there are rough parts on the periphery of the city but you would have no reason to go to them. Same as you wouldn't visit Ballymun if you were in Dublin.

Someone mentioned trouble in the city after an Old Firm game. You'll find the same edginess in other cities on the days when the two main rivals play each other, eg, when there is a Manchester derby or a north London derby. It's hardly exclusive to Glasgow. Act like a knob and you'll find trouble; use common sense and you'll avoid it.

If you think Glasgow is a kip I take it you've never been to Aberdeen, Bradford, Hull or Birmingham? Those are far more "dreary" places in Britain off the top of my head.

brummytom wrote: »
    Have you been to Birmingham since 1971? If you think Birmingham's depressing, your town must be fúcking amazing.

On topic, I know dozens of Glaswegians, I was drinking with them in Cavan two weeks ago and will be with them this weekend. Scots are the nicest, funniest and friendliest people around. But there's still a terribly sectarian mindset. I was up in Glasgow for a fleadh about 2 years ago, my dad went out into the city centre and was caught behind an Orange March.

That must have been terrible for him, right enough.

Orange marches aren't actually illegal you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Totally different situation of course that was racist, same as the folk who chanted monkey noises and through bananas at Mark Walters. But as has been stated as an Irish Catholic who has many friend in Larkhall I have yet to experience any anti Irish sectarianism there sure I have had stupid digs but then I have handed out a few of my own. But never had any serious problems

You're an Irish Catholic and you support Rangers? You're out of your mind,it's a beacon for anti Irish weirdos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A little off topic here but im just curious? I have no problem with anyone supporting Rangers, but how did an Irish Catholic like yourself come to support Rangers? Seems like a very odd choice.

• Advertisement

A little off topic here but im just curious? I have no problem with anyone supporting Rangers, but how did an Irish Catholic like yourself come to support Rangers? Seems like a very odd choice.

Well fair enough but there are actually more of us than you would think. My own story is I moved to Glasgow with my parents at a young age due to my Fathers work. While growing up my Dad took me to games at Ibrox, Parkhead and Shawfield but I for some reason decided that I wanted to follow Rangers and it went from there. I am not a glory hunter I was a young adult when Celtic were winning nine in a row so it would have been an easy choice to stop following the Gers. But here I am all these years on back living here with my family and traveling back and forward on a regular basis to watch Rangers.

Glassheart wrote: »
    You're an Irish Catholic and you support Rangers? You're out of your mind,it's a beacon for anti Irish weirdos.

And you really know nothing about it

Was your dad a Gers supporter Broxi? My story's the same as yours but none of my brothers were interested in football and as I was a daddies(the sauce too:)) girl I followed him to games whenever I could.

Was your dad a Gers supporter Broxi? My story's the same as yours but none of my brothers were interested in football and as I was a daddies(the sauce too:)) girl I followed him to games whenever I could.

He was a Gers fan but just loved the game that is why he made sure he took me to see other teams including Celtic. Only child here so had no siblings to compare with.
    HP man myself ;)

Every team in the UK and I suppose all over the world has its own particular type of 'weirdos', sectarian or otherwise.

• Advertisement

Bull****. Simple as that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

People support teams they're not supposed to support shocker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I tend to find people from Aberdeen and Dundee more prone to hating somebody then Glasgow from times I have been to games and Stags there.

Know few Rangers and Celtic fans and they sound.

Once you dont go down a rough area you wont really find problem in Scotland. But they can be odd bunch at times. They have their moments.

Complete nonsense.

The vast majority of Rangers supporters are not anti-Irish. Indeed many of them can trace their own roots to Ireland.

There's a big difference between being anti-IRA and anti-Irish.

Complete nonsense.

The vast majority of Rangers supporters are not anti-Irish. Indeed many of them can trace their own roots to Ireland.

It is pointless mate so many people want to believe Rangers are an anti Irish club and won't believe anything else. I have had this discussion so many times over the years it is frightening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Complete nonsense.

Whoever it was from Rangers who made contact with the Hamburg fans is a genius.

Whoever it was from Rangers who made contact with the Hamburg fans is a genius.

That goes back a long way with the Army serving there and bears going to there games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

A good few blanket men supported rangers, and some hunger strikers did too, Bobby Sands was a Villa fan.

Smashing traffic lights is so stupid that I'm struggling to believe its true - would make a great comedy sketch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Complete nonsense.

When you think everyone's in the IRA or supports them then theres not much difference - then you get to the loyalist mindset which led them to think that killing random catholics was fighting the IRA.

A good few blanket men supported rangers, and some hunger strikers did too, Bobby Sands was a Villa fan.

Smashing traffic lights is so stupid that I'm struggling to believe its true - would make a great comedy sketch

Sure that can't be true every Gers fan is a hard line loyalist lol

It happened a couple of times probably stupid drunk young boys but it is now perceived to happen every week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement