Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was involved in the reopening of the rail line to Larkhall. I never forget seeing one of the traffic lights getting new glass following the loyal ones making a stand. Surreal and pitiful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I was involved in the reopening of the rail line to Larkhall. I never forget seeing one of the traffic lights getting new glass following the loyal ones making a stand. Surreal and pitiful

It may be, but it's hardly something to get all offended about - a bit like the hysterical thread title.

Tribal nonsense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

The vast majority of Rangers supporters are not anti-Irish. Indeed many of them can trace their own roots to Ireland.

Completely irrelevant,and i've seen a great deal of revisionism on this from Scots generally,not just Rangers fans.
    There's a big difference between being anti-IRA and anti-Irish.

That's a distinction rarely made.

I've got to say,i find the naivete of Irish people here quite depressing.The Scots are absolutely no friend of ours,i've dealt with their racism in person and i've seen a lot of extreme Stormfront type racism directed at us online.None of it is reciprocated either,it's entirely in one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Glassheart wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant,and i've seen a great deal of revisionism on this from Scots generally,not just Rangers fans.

I've got to say,i find the naivete of Irish people here quite depressing.The Scots are absolutely no friend of ours,i've dealt with their racism in person and i've seen a lot of extreme Stormfront type racism directed at us online.None of it is reciprocated either,it's entirely in one direction.

Absolute rubbish I have seen Racism towards many Scots from Irish people. In fact my accent is Scottish and I have been on the receiving end of both racist and sectarian actions. Also the distinction is made on a regular basis I see it often

You must live in that other dimension where the Irish are all cuddly teddybears with not a racist or sectarian person to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Rangers was always my favourite club in Scotland, would not say it to any stranger encase it got me a kicking. I remember really liking them when they nearly won the European cup in 1991.

I had no idea of the whole religious\nationalist thing until I went to secondary school the next year. Other kids in their Celtic shirts soon put me straight:rolleyes: only thing is they would have been like me and had no idea about it, if it was not for their parents\uncles etc who filled them full of this prejudiced ****.

Been a Spurs fan to I've been called a prod\jew lover many times, considering I'm not religious myself I find it a bit strange:D

When you think everyone's in the IRA or supports them then theres not much difference - then you get to the loyalist mindset which led them to think that killing random catholics was fighting the IRA.

That is a fallacy years ago this may have been the case but please credit people with more intelligence. It also gets people thinking when the IRA are seen bullying there dead with a Tricolour draped over the coffin I get fed up having to explain to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

So you don't like Donegal people either then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Absolute rubbish I have seen Racism towards many Scots from Irish people. In fact my accent is Scottish and I have been on the receiving end of both racist and sectarian actions. Also the distinction is made on a regular basis I see it often

I don't suppose you were wearing your Rangers top at the time? To be honest,i don't actually believe you.
    You must live in that other dimension where the Irish are all cuddly teddybears with not a racist or sectarian person to be seen.

Nah,i would never deny that we've often got a ridiculous attitude towards the English (as do the Scots) but that works both ways.
    How anti Irish hatred in Scotland has evaded the attention of Irish people mystifies me.

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    So you don't like Donegal people either then?

Where are you going with this?

I don't suppose you were wearing your Rangers top at the time? To be honest,i don't actually believe you.

Nah,i would never deny that we've often got a ridiculous attitude towards the English (as do the Scots) but that works both ways.
    How anti Irish hatred in Scotland has evaded the attention of Irish people mystifies me.

Nope not on every occasion and to be honest why should it make a difference or in your mind does the fact I was wearing a Gers top make it OK and to be honest whether you believe me or not is irrelevant to me. When I see the rubbish you are spouting why would I care.

Really thats what it comes down to with people like you if someone disagrees out comes the "well I don't believe you" what a joke

Where are you going with this?
    You made the generalising statement about the Scots, not me.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Wearing a Rangers top makes it okay?

You don't believe him? I presume you haven't read the thread, where I pointed out quite a few instances of what I went through growing up in Donegal, or did I make that up too?

This "Anti irish hatred in Scotland" nonsense, if that was so true then why do so many people go over there for breaks, holidays, football etc?

You seem very narrow minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its because most of the Scots Irish people know are the ones of Irish extraction back living or visiting in Ireland. The ones that like Ireland.

You made the generalising statement about the Scots, not me.;)

Yeah but Donegal is in Ireland,why would you presume that i have a problem with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

*note to self. Dont post on boards whilst hallucinating on magic mushrooms

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Wearing a Rangers top makes it okay?

Yes,it's an anti Irish,anti Catholic institution."More than a club" as they say themselves...
    You don't believe him? I presume you haven't read the thread, where I pointed out quite a few instances of what I went through growing up in Donegal, or did I make that up too?

Well Donegal folk in particular have close family ties in Glasgow,many would be familiar with the bollocks their relatives still have to put up with from the true blue mob.Maybe that's why you were targeted?
    This "Anti irish hatred in Scotland" nonsense, if that was so true then why do so many people go over there for breaks, holidays, football etc?

They wouldn't if they knew the truth.

Yes,it's an anti Irish,anti Catholic institution."More than a club" as they say themselves...

Oh here we go, this old chestnut. Nobody denies there was a signing policy and the catholics that were signed during it were told to keep it quiet, that is long gone though.

So me or anyone wearing a Rangers top have every right to be targets for abuse? Don't you realise the hypocrisy in that totally wrong statement?
    Well Donegal folk in particular have close family ties in Glasgow,many would be familiar with the bollocks their relatives still have to put up with from the true blue mob.Maybe that's why you were targeted?

So you're saying again, that it is alright for a boy growing up to be abused because of the team he supports? Jesus Christ.

Please, enlighten me about these bollocks that people from Donegal have to put up with from the "true blue mob" you're talking about.

Of course :rolleyes: It's amazing how you know the truth, but the thousands of people who fly and drive over every year have no complaints. Have you spent much time in Glasgow, or Scotland?

Change your username to hypocrite. Reading this, you don't actually know a thing about what you're talking about.

Oh here we go, this old chestnut. Nobody denies there was a signing policy and the catholics that were signed during it were told to keep it quiet, that is long gone though.

So me or anyone wearing a Rangers top have every right to be targets for abuse? Don't you realise the hypocrisy in that totally wrong statement?

So you're saying again, that it is alright for a boy growing up to be abused because of the team he supports? Jesus Christ.

Please, enlighten me about these bollocks that people from Donegal have to put up with from the "true blue mob" you're talking about.

Of course :rolleyes: It's amazing how you know the truth, but the thousands of people who fly and drive over every year have no complaints. Have you spent much time in Glasgow, or Scotland?

Change your username to hypocrite. Reading this, you don't actually know a thing about what you're talking about.

He is showing himself up to be exactly what he thinks we are.
    A small minded racist sectarian bigot

How do you think the signing of an Irish Catholic from the Republic would go down? Be honest.

I'll take a step back on that one.However,any hassle you might have gotten shouldn't really be a suprise given the naked sectarianism of Rangers fans.

No,i was talking about the relatives of these people living in Glasgow.I'm sure some of the horror stories made their way back,possibly explaining any anti Rangers or Scottish sentiment.
    Have you spent much time in Glasgow, or Scotland?

Never have,never will.I didn't spend any time in Nazi Germany either but after all that i've read about it,i have no reason to doubt that it was bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

As an Irish man living in scotland for the last 10 years I must say the types this thread is about are few and far between in normal decent society. I have met a few when out on the town and they have mostly been scum suckers anyway some wearing blue tops and some wearing green and white hoops. A few of my good friends here are rangers fans and havent a drop of bigotry amongst them. In fact I knew one of my best mates here for nearly three years before the fact he was a rangers fan even came up. This was in my car while bringing him home with me to Clare for a few days fishing. I pulled over and told him get out and walk :)
    I have got a great reception here from the scots, they seem to love the Irish.

He is showing himself up to be exactly what he thinks we are.
    A small minded racist sectarian bigot

I don't think you're a small minded sectarian bigot at all.I just think that you're as mad as a box of frogs for supporting a club with a history of anti Irish sentiment.

How do you think the signing of an Irish Catholic from the Republic would go down? Be honest.

We have a very promising goalkeeper, Alan Smith, in our reserves, the club have high hopes for him. We have no "big" Irish players as such, but I firmly believe that the overwhelming majority would have no problem with an Irish Catholic footballer playing for Rangers, obviously we have some idiots, but who doesn't?
    I'll take a step back on that one.However,any hassle you might have gotten shouldn't really be a suprise given the naked sectarianism of Rangers fans.

Take a step back, then condone it again. Says alot about you buddy.
    No,i was talking about the relatives of these people living in Glasgow.I'm sure some of the horror stories made their way back,possibly explaining any anti Rangers or Scottish sentiment.

Come on then what are these big bad "horror stories" you're talking about.
    Never have,never will.I didn't spend any time in Nazi Germany either but after all that i've read about it,i have no reason to doubt that it was bad.

And there we have it, you haven't got the closest idea as to what you're on about and your comparison to Nazi Germany just shows you up to be small minded, what a ridiculous statement.

Chuileog wrote: »
    As an Irish man living in scotland for the last 10 years I must say the types this thread is about are few and far between in normal decent society. I have met a few when out on the town and they have mostly been scum suckers anyway some wearing blue tops and some wearing green and white hoops. A few of my good friends here are rangers fans and havent a drop of bigotry amongst them. In fact I knew one of my best mates here for nearly three years before the fact he was a rangers fan even came up. This was in my car while bringing him home with me to Clare for a few days fishing. I pulled over and told him get out and walk :)
    I have got a great reception here from the scots, they seem to love the Irish.

Woah, don't say nice things, you'll really put Glassheart's nose out of joint with sensible comments like that.

Have you spent much time in Glasgow, or Scotland?

We had one on our books until recently a young goalkeeper others we have tried to sign were put off by intimidation from people in there own neighbourhoods oh we haven't ever signed any players that are Indians either I suppose we must hate them to in fact there are lots of countries we have never signed players from

Naked sectarianism lol

Oh what a load of bull**** trying to compare Scotland to Nazi Germany are you on medication if not you should be.
    And once again you are showing yourself up as a horrible little bigot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I covered Larkhall for about a year as part of my job over here - this involved going to Larkhall and dealing with the public there every week. Was very worried about it when I first found out I was going there, took a drive around the town and saw all the well known sites - the Black Subway, the traffic lights with grills over the green lights (but not the other colours) and the blue, white and red painted park and children's playground.

I needn't have been. Anyone I dealt with in the town was never anything other than perfectly nice to me while I was there - even though my job often involves me telling people things they don't want to hear - not one accent impersonation, bigoted comment or anything else remotely offensive was ever said to me. People that I worked with from Larkhall were among the nicest I have ever met and I remain friends with them on facebook etc. even though I no longer work with them. Larkhall is definitely a town whose bark is a lot worse than its bite.

Having said that, there is a small village about two miles outside Larkhall called Ashgill. One street and a few housing estates. Its like an inner city suburb dumped in the middle of the countryside. First went there in July, during parades season. Honestly one of the scariest places I have ever been to in my life.

I covered Larkhall for about a year as part of my job over here - this involved going to Larkhall and dealing with the public there every week. Was very worried about it when I first found out I was going there, took a drive around the town and saw all the well known sites - the Black Subway, the traffic lights with grills over the green lights (but not the other colours) and the blue, white and red painted park and children's playground.

I needn't have been. Anyone I dealt with in the town was never anything other than perfectly nice to me while I was there - even though my job often involves me telling people things they don't want to hear - not one accent impersonation, bigoted comment or anything else remotely offensive was ever said to me. People that I worked with from Larkhall were among the nicest I have ever met and I remain friends with them on facebook etc. even though I no longer work with them. Larkhall is definitely a town whose bark is a lot worse than its bite.

Having said that, there is a small village about two miles outside Larkhall called Ashgill. One street and a few housing estates. Its like an inner city suburb dumped in the middle of the countryside. First went there in July, during parades season. Honestly one of the scariest places I have ever been to in my life.
    Your last point actually is a very good one and as I said earlier in the thread on the opposite side of the coin you have places like Carfin and Croy really what it comes down to is the vast majority of people are fine but yob have elements on both sides that are idiots

We have a very promising goalkeeper, Alan Smith, in our reserves, the club have high hopes for him. We have no "big" Irish players as such, but I firmly believe that the overwhelming majority would have no problem with an Irish Catholic footballer playing for Rangers, obviously we have some idiots, but who doesn't?

Some happy,others not so much.Liberal use of sectarian slurs:
    http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=157244&st=0

You missed the point.I'm not condoning it,i just think that negative reactions to your Rangers top in Ireland are somewhat inevitable.
    And there we have it, you haven't got the closest idea as to what you're on about and your comparison to Nazi Germany just shows you up to be small minded, what a ridiculous statement.

I didn't actually compare it to nazi Germany.That would be ridiculous.I'm just pointing out that one doesn't need to visit somewhere to understand how bad it is.Google is your friend.

You missed the point.I'm not condoning it,i just think that negative reactions to your Rangers top in Ireland are somewhat inevitable.

I didn't actually compare it to nazi Germany.That would be ridiculous.I'm just pointing out that one doesn't need to visit somewhere to understand how bad it is.Google is your friend.
    Since you are so keen in the use of Google I suggest you use it to find out the bigoted and sectarian abuse the boy had to take from his fellow Irishmen a fact his father was none to happy about. Also while your at it I am sure in fact I know google will also give you lots of information on the really good things about the Scots
    As for expecting it because he was wearing a Gers top rubbish that's lime saying a guy with a Celtic top on in Glasgow should expect abuse thank Christ most of us don't think like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

As an aside, while I was working in the area I had an involvement in the creation of a community garden for the public which is now open and, I believe, going well. It's nothing special but it is a good effort by a group of decent people who know that they don't live in the nicest town in the world and want to change it for the better. It shows that, while the minority yob element may have had more of an effect on the reputation of Larkhall than in other places, the vast majority of people there are very decent and just want to improve the place and its wider reputation. There is even some green on their website!

http://www.larkhallcommunitygrowers.com/About-the-Company.php

• Advertisement

Well done, you can google probably the worst Rangers forum going to find a 6 page thread on Alan Smith. Now tell me, did you actually read it? Because out of 113 posts, there are 2 that are against it. Nobody said anything sectarian about him either?

But by your posts, only Scotland as a country and Rangers fans have a bigotry/sectarian problem. The abuse that I and others took (including Alan Smith and Alan Maybury) while growing up is the same thing your slamming Scotland and Rangers fans for.

Hypocrite.

Well obviously you do, because you have absolutely no clue about Scotland, or Rangers fans.

Yeah but Donegal is in Ireland,why would you presume that i have a problem with them?
    Large swathes of Donegal have much more in common with Scotland than they do with the rest of Ireland. Before cheap flights there was more daily bus services from Donegal to Glasgow than there was Donegal to Dublin. More Donegal people know the difference between a Glasgow and Edinburgh accent than a Dublin and Waterford accent.

When you insult the Scots, you insult the people of Inishowen, Fanad and The Rosses as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I have been to Glasgow a lot of times and i never had any trouble.

Large swathes of Donegal have much more in common with Scotland than they do with the rest of Ireland. Before cheap flights there was more daily bus services from Donegal to Glasgow than there was Donegal to Dublin. More Donegal people know the difference between a Glasgow and Edinburgh accent than a Dublin and Waterford accent.

When you insult the Scots, you insult the people of Inishowen, Fanad and The Rosses as well.

What a load of utter rubbish.
    Are you Irish or Scottish? You sound just like an Ulster Loyalist...

Well done, you can google probably the worst Rangers forum going to find a 6 page thread on Alan Smith. Now tell me, did you actually read it? Because out of 113 posts, there are 2 that are against it. Nobody said anything sectarian about him either?

I actually got that link through ybig.ie.
    "Taig" is used three times on that thread.Where are the mods?There is a tacit acceptance of that kind of language on there which speaks volumes.They also have an unhealthy curiosity about his religion.More than just a club...

But by your posts, only Scotland as a country and Rangers fans have a bigotry/sectarian problem.

No Scotland just has a major problem with it.
    There is nothing isolated about sectarianism in Scotland,it's proven to be a big enough problem for them to introduce legislation to combat it.

Are you Irish or Scottish? .
    I'm from Donegal.

Also while your at it I am sure in fact I know google will also give you lots of information on the really good things about the Scots

I'll do that,you can go and post a thread on a Rangers forum detailing the really good things about the Irish.See how well that goes down...

I'm from Donegal.

Donegal Scottish or Donegal Irish? :rolleyes:

What's the difference?

• Advertisement

I actually got that link through ybig.ie.
    "Taig" is used three times on that thread.Where are the mods?There is a tacit acceptance of that kind of language on there which speaks volumes.They also have an unhealthy curiosity about his religion.More than just a club...

As I said, that's the lowest of the low when it comes to Rangers forums, but you're taking the words of three posters to judge a country :rolleyes:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=199323&st=40

There's another, including a great interview with Alan himself talking about his time at the club, but it's not bad news about Rangers or Scotland, so you will probably give it a miss.
    No Scotland just has a major problem with it.
    There is nothing isolated about sectarianism in Scotland,it's proven to be a big enough problem for them to introduce legislation to combat it.

Scotland used to have a major problem with it, it's still there but not anywhere near the level it was. Rangers and Celtic don't get the credit they deserve for their work, and the scum media sure as hell don't point out the good parts that are happening, that far outweigh the bad points these days, like cross border initiatives that seen my old secondary school take a football team to Murray Park last year to play Rangers under 17's and a tour of the training facilities etc.

Now unless you're going to actually come up with some facts to back up your innacurate assumptions about Rangers and Scotland, just stop.

What a lot of ****e.

I'm going to guess you're from quite far down the country, Tipp or something.

As I said, that's the lowest of the low when it comes to Rangers forums, but you're taking the words of three posters to judge a country :rolleyes:

I wasn't using that to judge anything,just offered an example of the fact that not all is rosy with a "taigs" presence at Ibrox.
    There's another, including a great interview with Alan himself talking about his time at the club, but it's not bad news about Rangers or Scotland, so you will probably give it a miss.

Nah i read that,it's good to see.Scotland still has a problem with anti Irish racism though.

Scotland used to have a major problem with it, it's still there but not anywhere near the level it was.
    You mean it was worse than it is now? Christ...
    Now unless you're going to actually come up with some facts to back up your innacurate assumptions about Rangers and Scotland, just stop.

Read all of this:
    http://www.topix.com/forum/world-soccer/celtic/TAEFLFAOH0OS31OV3

It will take you a while but please don't tell me that there isn't a virulent strain of anti Irish racism in Scotland.Don't worry,it's not all Rangers fans,some of the most vile comments are from a Dundee supporting Scots Nationalist who hates the old firm.

Also while your at it I am sure in fact I know google will also give you lots of information on the really good things about the Scots

I'll do that,you can go and post a thread on a Rangers forum detailing the really good things about the Irish.See how well that goes down...
    I do so regularly again we are now seeing you for what you are a bigot

What's the difference?

Ulster Scot it is then.
    You don't speak for the people of Donegal,that's for sure.

I'll give it a read when I get a chance tomorrow. But is it really going to be any different to the things you might read on an Irish forum about English or British people in general? I doubt it, Irish people can be just as bad as Scots, but the whole country isn't judged on the basis of a small minority, particularly a small minority of keyboard hardmen who couldn't pick out Ireland on a map.

• Advertisement

I wasn't using that to judge anything,just offered an example of the fact that not all is rosy with a "taigs" presence at Ibrox.

Nah i read that,it's good to see.Scotland still has a problem with anti Irish racism though.

Scotland used to have a major problem with it, it's still there but not anywhere near the level it was.
    You mean it was worse than it is now? Christ...

Read all of this:
    http://www.topix.com/forum/world-soccer/celtic/TAEFLFAOH0OS31OV3

It will take you a while but please don't tell me that there isn't a virulent strain of anti Irish racism in Scotland.Don't worry,it's not all Rangers fans,some of the most vile comments are from a Dundee supporting Scots Nationalist who hates the old firm.

Lol you use a Celtic forum and you expect us to take you seriously. I see your keen enough to find out where posters are from why don't you enlighten us and tell us where you are from

It's a celtic forum? Well I can pretty much guess what that'll say then.

Those people are on a par with those keyboard hardmen I spoke about, couldn't pick out Ireland on a map but will tell me they're more Irish than me because their great great great great great great granny was Irish and they support celtic.

Arguments like that never work, you have to look at things from both sides.

I do so regularly again we are now seeing you for what you are a bigot

It doesn't seem to be working,you must try harder and get them to stop singing that wretched Famine Song.

It doesn't seem to be working,you must try harder and get them to stop singing that wretched Famine Song.

Wow, you're way behind the times if you think that is still being sung.

The whole "singing bad songs" nonsense has been done to death on both sides.

It's a celtic forum? Well I can pretty much guess what that'll say then.

Those people are on a par with those keyboard hardmen I spoke about, couldn't pick out Ireland on a map but will tell me they're more Irish than me because their great great great great great great granny was Irish and they support celtic.

Arguments like that never work, you have to look at things from both sides.

It's not a Celtic forum,and there is very little talk of football there.
    An Irish Celtic fan asks is Scotland an anti Irish country? Basically the answer he gets is YES.Read it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement