Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Lol you use a Celtic forum and you expect us to take you seriously. I see your keen enough to find out where posters are from why don't you enlighten us and tell us where you are from

You'll take me seriously if you read through that thread.
    I'm from Dublin.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    I'll give it a read when I get a chance tomorrow. But is it really going to be any different to the things you might read on an Irish forum about English or British people in general? I doubt it, Irish people can be just as bad as Scots, but the whole country isn't judged on the basis of a small minority, particularly a small minority of keyboard hardmen who couldn't pick out Ireland on a map.

Some of it is genocidal,some of it is racial and of course some of it is sectarian.

Irish people moan about "800 years" but it never descends into anything like the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Glassheart wrote: »
    Lol you use a Celtic forum and you expect us to take you seriously. I see your keen enough to find out where posters are from why don't you enlighten us and tell us where you are from

You'll take me seriously if you read through that thread.
    I'm from Dublin.
    No I won't I read two pages and from what I could see its made up of the dickheads on both sides I have talked about in the main it suits you down to the ground.
    A Dub you must be happy to see a Rangets supporters club flourishing in your city then
    I also have to laugh at you citing the use of the word taig will you condemn the use of Orange Bastard wich is what we are termed as on most Celtic forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

grenache wrote: »
    An article from a few years back but still an eye-opener. One of the saddest and most pathetic stories I've yet to read. Some people need to get a life.

*You'll have to copy and paste the link to read full article

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/larkhall-scottish-town-where-sectarianism-is-so-strong-in-that-shops-have-had-to-repaint-their-green-fronts-16204244.html?r=RSS

Hello Grenache.
    Your post is the the only one i've read in this thread - as i know it's been posted in AH and it will be full of
    A) Half arsed comedians
    B)Thanks whores
    C) posters attempting to be controversial.
    d) Arseholes in general.

However - I would like to know one thing.
    What is Anti- Irish about this?
    Does the Republic of Ireland have the copyright on the colour green? Did they kill a leprechaun?
    Or is it just the general fear that many people in Ireland live under when they think of "The Brits" coming through on you?

No I won't I read two pages and from what I could see its made up of the dickheads on both sides I have talked about in the main it suits you down to the ground.

I wouldn't read it all if i were you either,it gets much worse and the racial invective is overwhelmingly from the Scottish side.
    A Dub you must be happy to see a Rangets supporters club flourishing in your city then

I'm probably more happy about it than them.It must be tough being stuck "behind enemy lines".That rhetoric speaks volumes.
    I also have to laugh at you citing the use of the word taig will you condemn the use of Orange Bastard wich is what we are termed as on most Celtic forums

Bastard will suffice,leave the religious piety to the yokels at Ibrox.

Sorry, tell us agin - how many times have you been in that locality?

I wouldn't read it all if i were you either,it gets much worse and the racial invective is overwhelmingly from the Scottish side.

I'm probably more happy about it than them.It must be tough being stuck "behind enemy lines".That rhetoric speaks volumes.

But the thing is it is Orange Bastard we are called in saying that the very fact you find it acceptable to call me a Bastard speaks volumes. Once again proving you are a small minded bigot
    As for the behind enemy lines thing if you use google as you like to you will find it was a journalis from one of the Irish papers thag coined that phrase Once again you open your mouth znd let garbage spout out you truly are an odious little person

But the thing is it is Orange Bastard we are called in saying that the very fact you find it acceptable to call me a Bastard speaks volumes.

I was only kidding,you seem like a decent sort.
    As for the behind enemy lines thing if you use google as you like to you will find it was a journalis from one of the Irish papers thag coined that phrase Once again you open your mouth znd let garbage spout out you truly are an odious little person

So it was a joke then? Fair enough.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Sorry, tell us agin - how many times have you been in that locality?

Would any fair minded observer really deny that there is a strain of unbearable religious piety in the Rangers crowd?

Would any fair minded observer really deny that there is a strain of unbearable religious piety in the Rangers crowd?

In a section of it, yes.
    However i get the feeling that you are not a fair minded observer, and that your lack of experience in never having even visited Glasgow betrays that.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    In a section of it, yes.
    However i get the feeling that you are not a fair minded observer, and that your lack of experience in never having even visited Glasgow betrays that.

I don't need to visit Glasgow to see how Rangers fans impart their daft religious rhetoric on internet forums.

I don't need to visit Glasgow to see how Rangers fans impart their daft religious rhetoric on internet forums.

Tell you what, when you join the real world - we can chat.
    Untill then, stay in your little paranoid internet bubble, there will always be someone who's happy to listen to your ill informed opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Where To wrote: »
    What's the difference?

Ulster Scot it is then.
    You don't speak for the people of Donegal,that's for sure.
    I'm mightily confident that I speak for them more than you that's for sure. Donegal's relationship with Scotland is by and large a positive one, deal with it.

Oh, and by the way my family came to Donegal from south Clare long before the plantation. Sorry pal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Never have,never will.I didn't spend any time in Nazi Germany either but after all that i've read about it,i have no reason to doubt that it was bad.

Are you Mary Mcaleese? you sound like her:D

I'm mightily confident that I speak for them more than you that's for sure.

No you don't,not when you claim that Donegal has more in common with Scotland.
    Donegal's relationship with Scotland is by and large a positive one, deal with it.

No doubt,it's just a shame that Scotland's relationship with Donegal and the rest of the ROI isn't.
    Oh, and by the way my family came to Donegal from south Clare long before the plantation. Sorry pal

You can't blame me for speculating,especially with that partitionist rhetoric of yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Your in-depth, experienced insight into the city of Glasgow, it's football subculture and what makes Glaswegians tick is appreciated.

By your own admission you don't know Glasgow at all - yet you still continue to pontificate on here, making lazy, sweeping generalisations about Rangers supporters.

Laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Completely irrelevant,and i've seen a great deal of revisionism on this from Scots generally,not just Rangers fans.

That's a distinction rarely made.

I've got to say,i find the naivete of Irish people here quite depressing.The Scots are absolutely no friend of ours,i've dealt with their racism in person and i've seen a lot of extreme Stormfront type racism directed at us online.None of it is reciprocated either,it's entirely in one direction.

You need to meet more people, mate. You can't dismiss an entire people because of a few vocal eejits.

Your in-depth, experienced insight into the city of Glasgow, it's football subculture and what makes Glaswegians tick is appreciated.

By your own admission you don't know Glasgow at all - yet you still continue to pontificate on here, making lazy, sweeping generalisations about Rangers supporters.

Laughable.

I'm not really making any sweeping generalisations,i'm sure there are many decent supporters,a large minority perhaps but certainly not an overwhelming majority.The guys on here seem like decent folk,i just wish they would be more honest with themselves.

To deny that Glasgow Rangers has a large problem with anti Irish hatred is absurd.No doubt many support them for the love of the game but the club has a history of ethics which has also made it a beacon for Protestant fanatics.It's attached at the hip with Loyalism which is an extremely corrosive ideology which deliberately ferments these problems.

Laughable.

I'm not really making any sweeping generalisations,i'm sure there are many decent supporters,a large minority perhaps but certainly not an overwhelming majority.The guys on here seem like decent folk,i just wish they would be more honest with themselves.

To deny that Glasgow Rangers has a large problem with anti Irish hatred is absurd.No doubt many support them for the love of the game but the club has a history of ethics which has also made it a beacon for Protestant fanatics.It's attached at the hip with Loyalism which is an extremely corrosive ideology which deliberately ferments these problems.

You are wrong in every statement you make of the two Rangets and Celtic can you tell me which one was founded on religious and ethnic lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

You are wrong in every statement you make of the two Rangets and Celtic can you tell me which one was founded on religious and ethnic lines

The key is in the thread title: "Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland"

We're talking about the here and now.

markesmith wrote: »
    The key is in the thread title: "Pathetic Anti-Irish sectarianism thriving in West Scotland"

We're talking about the here and now.

Yes we are but it helps to know the history. If you look back you will see plenty of post alluding to the history of one club or is that OK ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Yes we are but it helps to know the history. If you look back you will see plenty of post alluding to the history of one club or is that OK ;)

I don't understand how this has become a Rangers vs. everyone issue?

markesmith wrote: »
    I don't understand how this has become a Rangers vs. everyone issue?

Agreed but that wasn't our choice mate certain poster decided to makes it that

Rangers FC does not have a large problem with anti-Irish hatred. Give us a few examples of this.

As an Irishman I feel perfectly at ease within Ibrox and have done so for the last 30 years. However you've convinced yourself of this - far removed from Glasgow, incidentally - so, I along with others are clearly wasting our breath.

Of course there are idiots who attach themselves to the club but this is the case with every football club.

A "large minority" of decent supporters? That's very big of you.

Again, for someone who doesn't know Glasgow at all it's amusing to be moralised to.

Agreed but that wasn't our choice mate certain poster decided to makes it that

I know you're referring to me and i would like to point out that people were talking about Rangers before i posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

After reading through the thread I think I can safely say the score is:
    Rangers 7, Glassheart 0 :D
    Rangers was always my favourite club in Scotland, would not say it to any stranger encase it got me a kicking. I remember really liking them when they nearly won the European cup in 1991.
    They got knocked out in the second round!

I know you're referring to me and i would like to point out that people were talking about Rangers before i posted.

No once again you are making assumptions that make no sense. It is very easy to see that posters were talking about Rangers and Celtic long before you posted. Paranoid or what

Cienciano wrote: »

I'm guessing he meant the following season when we reached the semi-final equivalent only to lose out to Marseille - who were subsequently exposed as cheats.

Oh well.

Cienciano wrote: »

I think he actually means 1993 when there was claims of bribery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

What the feck happened here? We've gone way off track.

Final thoughts and then we'll wrap her up.

• Advertisement

Rangers FC does not have a large problem with anti-Irish hatred. Give us a few examples of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sMSaUErAY4

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-are-all-Anti-Celtic/117113601740188
    (This one had comments mocking the death James Nolan back during the Euro championships)

http://www.topix.com/forum/world-soccer/celtic/TAEFLFAOH0OS31OV3

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=10342855316

http://www.redflag.org.uk/frontline/four/04sectar.html

And for everyone of them there are many fans not like that. People like you amuse me tell me do you condemn Celtic fans singing "soon there will be no Protestants at all" in one of there songs or when they sang the delightful little ditty about Nach Novo dying with a bullet in his head from the ira. Or even bastardising our own National Anthem by inserting the line 2 God Bless the Pope" in it. Or the many songs that support a terrorist organisation which has caused death and destruction not only on this Island but in the Britain itself. Really stop being a Hypocrite yes we have a section of our support that are bigoted but Celtic you know that well known Irish team have a problem that IMO is every bit as bad.

Now that this topic has turned into a gut spending his day looking for things to be offended about it is as well being shut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

I don't know why people are still trying to argue a case with glassheart.

He clearly has no knowledge of what he is talking about, other than one sided googling, which has allowed him to develop a complete hatred of the thing he knows nothing about.

Thankfully, not everyone is as small minded and moronic as him, and people don't take the feelings of a few and judge a majority, as he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement