Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPFP and BTEA

Options
  • 04-09-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this, I'm wondering if you get BTEA (transferred from OPFP) if you're still bound by OPFP terms i.e. cohabiting.

Basically I'm wondering if I'll lose my BTEA if I cohabit over the term of my degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi

To my knowledge you can retain OPFP during your course. This would mean you could also apply for the Maintenance grant. If you move to BTEA then you cannot get the maintenance grant.

As regards the cohabiting prohibition afaik if you move to BTEA then you aren't on OPFP anymore and so would not be bound by the conditions of that payment. But check with DSP or Citizens Info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Hi OP,

I have received confirmation that I am eligibe for BETA, I am also receiving OPFP.

It states on the BTEA form that my circumstances have to remain the same during my course for me to receive the payment this means that I must satisfy all the OPFP conditions which includes cohabiting so if I started cohabiting during my course I would have to tell the SW and then I assume my partner and I would be means tested and my application would be assessed on both our incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What paperclip seems to be suggesting is that you would be better holding onto opfp and claiming the grant i.e. - don't go onto btea!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement