Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What residency is enough to insure an 'empty' house?

Options
  • 04-09-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi! An elderly aunt and uncle of mine are in the process of selling their house in England and buying a house located around 45 minutes from my house. They have had an offer accepted on a house in Drogheda but are having trouble selling their English place. They also have various health issues - that's the one of the reasons they are moving back to Ireland, to be closer to family. If they do buy the Drogheda house, they don't think they'll be able to move in until they sell the English place, which could be months away. As far as I know, they can't insure an empty house. So I said I'd move some of my stuff in and sleep there a few nights a week until they can sort things out and move over.

Any idea how many nights a week I'd need to stay to validate house insurance?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It is possible to insure an empty house, but only one or two companies will underwrite the risk. I used Kidd Insurances. They don't cover contents, just the fabric of the building, and they had a requirement that the property be checked regularly, something of the order of once every two weeks (I don't particularly remember, but obviously you are better checking with them than with me).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

FBD will also insure empty properties. We have one with them, again, buildings only, no contents cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

All insurers will cover it.

Just call whoever and explain to them. They more than likely will not cover 'escape of water' i.e. leaks so just drain the tank and turn off the water at the mains.

The only thing you will really need is theft and malicious damage cover for copper that may be there, fire for a fire obviously, and storm damage.

Nothing else can really happen to the house. Subsidence will be automatic cover. Just dont have anything in the house worth stealing.

Advertisement