Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal fuel / cigarettes

• 04-09-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I see recently theres been a few large hauls of smuggled cigarettes intercepted. I dont think that I have ever seen a high profile conviction for this sort of criminal activity. The same goes for the fuel launderers along the border. Is there some sort of soft touch approach or is that difficult to get such a conviction through the courts? It seems to be going on wholesale at the moment. Also, for all the cigarette 'imports', I have never seen them for sale or been offered them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

My mechanic was telling me about a year old audi he had to fix, the bill was 3 grand he had to replace all the injectors. Warning the washed diesel Fcuks up the high pressure injectors in most new HDI diesel cars now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Colmustard wrote: »
    My mechanic was telling me about a year old audi he had to fix, the bill was 3 grand he had to replace all the injectors. Warning the washed diesel Fcuks up the high pressure injectors in most new HD diesel cars now.
    Next they will just fuel up on green juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

OSI wrote: »
    Does it make a difference if the engine is 720P or 1080P?

It's the 1080i ones you've to be careful of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Also, for all the cigarette 'imports', I have never seen them for sale or been offered them.

You obviously never walked down ****** Street in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Fags yes, fuel no.
    To eliminate washed diesel why don't they do away with green diesel altogether or give farmers a rebate instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Fags yes, fuel no.
    To eliminate washed diesel why don't they do away with green diesel altogether or give farmers a rebate instead.

I believe that's in the long term plan ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fags yes, fuel no.

Because that would be too easy and save them Millions in revenue so naturally they won't do it. They never do anything that makes sense as they're a bunch of crooked incompetent wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I believe that's in the long term plan ....

Why is it a long term plan?
    I mean surely this is a simple change to make and would wipe out laundered diesel near instantly. Commercial users who currently use marked diesel would just get a rebate on their receipts. It isn't without problem and fraud but it would be allot better for joe public and the exchequer.
    Seems its easier to take home help of auld wans!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Fags yes, fuel no.

They are going to go down that route for that but nott there yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Fags yes, fuel no.

Because you'll get small farmers with a couple of acres of land and six sheep submitting a rebate for 50million gallons of fuel....

The point of of green diesel is the fact that it should only be used in agricultural machinery, if it's just a reciept based system you can put it in your car, sell it to a garage, whatever, and nobody can prove that you didn't put it in the 'ol combine harvester.

The only way to do it that I can see would be a rebate based on farm size or volume of production perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Henry Street
    Thomas Street
    Meath Street will all do you for smokes (some good, some bad).

Don't know about bent fuel.
    Counterfeit vodka is also popular coming upto Christmas.

conorhal wrote: »
    Because you'll get small farmers with a couple of acres of land and six sheep submitting a rebate for 50million gallons of fuel....

The point of of green diesel is the fact that it should only be used in agricultural machinery, if it's just a reciept based system you can put it in your car, sell it to a garage, whatever, and nobody can prove that you didn't put it in the 'ol combine harvester.

The only way to do it that I can see would be a rebate based on farm size or volume of production perhaps.

I don't get why farmers should get green diesel, I am sure a lot of expense would be saved if they just claimed back the tax on receipts.

So now can you see the problem, the problem with my scheme is the farmers first have to pay tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Anyone caught smuggling large amounts of cigarettes should be forced to smoke every single one of them!

Anyone caught smuggling large amounts of cigarettes should be forced to smoke every single one of them!

That what customs do when they seize them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I see recently theres been a few large hauls of smuggled cigarettes intercepted. I dont think that I have ever seen a high profile conviction for this sort of criminal activity. The same goes for the fuel launderers along the border. Is there some sort of soft touch approach or is that difficult to get such a conviction through the courts? It seems to be going on wholesale at the moment. Also, for all the cigarette 'imports', I have never seen them for sale or been offered them.

Courts are giving 2 years and more for big hauls now, in fact I have seen people get more for smuggled cigs than drugs. Revenue offences are now being hit harder than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I bought a few fake John Player Blue packs in late 2009.
    They seemed alright and thus was happy buying them. But one night I was doing dishes in the kitchen sink... felt light headed ... next thing i start to sail back and hit the ground.

Freaked me right out. I only passed out for literally 2 seconds but then I broke out in a weird heavy sweat. I then just stumbled into bed hoping for the best :o Was ok after 15 mintues.

Lesson learned: Dont smoke fake cigarettes. Anything that will pass you out aint good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Colmustard wrote: »
    That what customs do when they seize them.

No they "destroy" them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Fags yes, fuel no.

Yep get rid of the green diesel and put in a rebate system and offer a rebate to lorry drivers and to taxi drivers while they're at it.

SD

StudentDad wrote: »
    Yep get rid of the green diesel and put in a rebate system and offer a rebate to lorry drivers and to taxi drivers while they're at it.

SD

They do, taximen at least can claim some of the tax back as a business expense.

Advertisement