Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrington's dog food 15kg bags £17.88

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Having Maize as its first ingredient would have me steer well clear of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

didn't see there was Maize in this. is that really bad for dogs ? I think Skinners might be a better option then . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's not really bad, and isn't as allergenic as wheat, but the first ingredient listed should always be meat, since meat is much more important for dogs than plant matter, especially grains. This is why foods like Burns or JWB tend to be significantly more expensive. It's easier to make cheap kibble when you're using twice as much rice as you are lamb.

ETA: Skinners seems to have the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

ok so would I better off sticking to James Wellbeloved ? (price is not really an issue but I was wondering why there is such a big difference though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I feed my dog "brillys choice", the ingredients seem fine to me (I'm sure someone will comment) and the price is good IMO
    http://brillyschoicedogfood.com/products/Super-Premium-Lamb-and-Rice.html

heres the equivalent jameswellbeloved at around twice the price.
    http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/james-wellbeloved-lamb-and-rice-15kg/
    http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog-food/adult/lamb-rice-adult

heres the ingredients
    Lamb meal (minimum 26%), Rice (minimum 26%), Maize, Chicken Fat, Barley, Beet Pulp, Full Fat Linseed, Fish Meal, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Vitamins, Herbs (Algae, Vegetables, Cereals, Molluscs, Crustaceans, Seaweed (Kelp), Thyme, Peppermint, Yucca Extract, Tumeric, Ginger, Oregano, Anlae, Carrot Powder, Carob Powder, Paprika Pure, Dandelion Root, Fenugreek and Aloe Powder), Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Tocopherol Rich Extracts of Natural Origin
    vs JWB
    rice, lamb meal, ground whole barley, lamb fat, whole linseed, lamb gravy, sugar beet pulp, alfalfa meal, natural seaweed, sodium chloride, omega oil supplement, potassium chloride, chicory extract, calcium carbonate, yucca extract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

kylith wrote: »
    ETA: Skinners seems to have the same problem.

There was a thread on before about Skinners as an alternative to Burns. I have started one of my dogs on Skinners duck & rice - so far so good - used to be on Burns. Big savings - but I am not necessarily doing it for that.

Skinners have a working dog range (vat free) and a pet range.

If the OP is interested in Lamb & Rice, you can get a bag for ~€35. Ingredients seem good. No maize.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Lamb-Rice-Sensitive-Dry/dp/B003EGKN0E/ref=sr_1_10?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1346769073&sr=1-10

Ingredients

Whole rice (40%), lamb meat meal (25%), barley, chicken fat, linseed, lucerne, vitamins and minerals, rosemary oil, culinary herb mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

that looks good too, i was thinking the rice content seems high, but the meat seems the same as the others.

while I'm here, does anyone know what the missing 30% in JWB might be?
    lamb (26%), rice (26%), barley (14%), linseed (3%), lamb gravy (2%), alfalfa (1%), seaweed (0.5%), yucca extract (0.02%), chicory extract (0.1%)

that comes to ~72%, the ingredients without a percentage are lamb fat, sugar beet pulp, chloride, omega oil supplement, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate but i cant see any of them being that high. if the label follows food guidelines (rank in order of percentage) then at most it would be 13% lamb fat and the rest are trace...

Advertisement