Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan's 'Tempest'

Options
  • 04-09-2012 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Completely blown away by his new album.

It's so dark and desolate, 'Scarlet Town' is the standout track for me at the minute, his voice is very croaky on some songs but it adds weight to the serious lyrics.

Have my vinyl and cd copy ordered for pick up on Friday.

Any Bob fans around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

The album is currently available to stream free on itunes through a link on Dylan's website (for those who might not know). I'm listening to it at the moment and it sounds fantastic. A big improvement on Together Through Life to my ear. I found that album to be pretty lifeless, but three tracks in the new one seems a right belter. Looking forward to getting a physical copy in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Such a dense album. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

I'm waiting until I can get it properly on Friday.

Must say I have not been too impressed with the snippets I've heard. Initial reports from other fans say it's great, but my worry is they ALWAYS say that after the first or second listen. Modern Times was so-so and Together Through Life was awful, so my hopes aren't too high.

Hope I'm proved wrong!

It's a stone cold classic album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Haven't listened to it yet, but Uncut gave it 10/10 and were raving about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Listening to it at the moment and I think it's great. It might be his best since Love And Theft.

Duckworth, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the new album, especially if you thought the last two weren't great.

I agree that positive reviews seem to be a foregone conclusion with anything Dylan releases these days, but I think this album will stand up over time. It's quite varied throughout in the way Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft were but Together Through Life was not (in my opinion). I've only heard it twice so far which is not a whole lot, but I don't think there's a dud on this one.

I agree with Suas11, this is his best since Love and Theft. And I think it comes very close to that album quality-wise, which is saying something.

Lyrically it's his best since 'Time Out Of Mind' in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

On my third listen,i love it,it towers over everything since L&T(which im a huge fan,one of my favourite albums by anyone ever)i dont take any notice of Bobs reviews(especially from Uncut,i love Uncut but their Dylan bias is ridiculous,i had to roll my eyes at the 10/10 review,TTL and MT both got 5/5,give me a break)

Bob is in great form,the band are fantastic,i love how ragged his voice is too,could see it putting some people off but i think its great,this is definitely top tier Dylan for me

(especially from Uncut,i love Uncut but their Dylan bias is ridiculous,i had to roll my eyes at the 10/10 review,TTL and MT both got 5/5,give me a break)

As someone who also loves Uncut I have to say this assessment couldn't be more accurate! I bought the current issue before hearing the album but waited until after I'd heard it twice before reading their review - just to be on the safe side :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Yeah as soon as i saw 10/10 it ruined the review for me(what was wrong with marking things out of 5 anyway?)you just cant take them seriously,well namely Allan Jones,i liked MT and TTL but to say theyre both 5/5 is ridiculous,his Dylan reviews are a joke

Having said that the new record is great,at the moment i think i actually would give it 5/5......but i only have it a day so too soon to say,its definitely great stuff though,really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

Temaz wrote: »
    Lyrically it's his best since 'Time Out Of Mind' in my opinion.

I think Love and Theft is fantastic, lyrically speaking.
    Tempest is growing on me, just on my third listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Just about to give it my 1st listen... Excited now by the reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Lyrically and musically, the best since 'Love and theft' and that's the highest praise I can give it. Wasn't a great fan of 'together through life' so
    wasn't expecting a lot.

On repeat since release, and probably give a better assessment in a few weeks time, first listen it's 'Long and wasted years' and 'pay in blood'. The last two I'll know more about in a week or two. Other songs will reveal themselves.

His singing suits being in a cowboy band, he's got the blood of the land in his voice.

Fantastic to have him back on this form. 'Tempest' sounds epic, good to see the night watchman making an appearance again. and 'Roll on John' gets better with each listen.

Bawdy Bluesy Brilliant Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Rumour going around that it's his last, connection with The Tempest being Shakespeare's last play...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

rcaz wrote: »
    Rumour going around that it's his last, connection with The Tempest being Shakespeare's last play...

From Rolling Stone http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-on-his-dark-new-album-tempest-20120801

Dylan's mention of Shakespeare raises a question. The playwright's final work was called The Tempest, and some have already asked: Is Dylan's Tempest intended as a last work by the now 71-year-old artist? Dylan is dismissive of the suggestion. "Shakespeare's last play was called The Tempest. It wasn't called just plain Tempest. The name of my record is just plain Tempest. It's two different titles."

I'd say Bob will keep on going until he's no longer fit to go on the road.

Brilliant album. on my 15th listen and I'm picking up new lines each time a I listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 luckylarry

The album is currently available to stream free on itunes through a link on Dylan's website (for those who might not know). I'm listening to it at the moment and it sounds fantastic. A big improvement on Together Through Life to my ear. I found that album to be pretty lifeless, but three tracks in the new one seems a right belter. Looking forward to getting a physical copy in a few days.

great album, so is leonard cohens:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭bigtomm

Lyrically and musically, the best since 'Love and theft' and that's the highest praise I can give it. Wasn't a great fan of 'together through life' so
    wasn't expecting a lot.

On repeat since release, and probably give a better assessment in a few weeks time, first listen it's 'Long and wasted years' and 'pay in blood'. The last two I'll know more about in a week or two. Other songs will reveal themselves.

His singing suits being in a cowboy band, he's got the blood of the land in his voice.

Fantastic to have him back on this form. 'Tempest' sounds epic, good to see the night watchman making an appearance again. and 'Roll on John' gets better with each listen.

Bawdy Bluesy Brilliant Bob.

Capital!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Time Out Of Mind is still my latter day Dylan masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Slightly off topic, but the new Sinatra standards one is sooooooooooooooooo bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but the new Sinatra standards one is sooooooooooooooooo bad.

I'm digging it! It sounds great late at night with headphones on.

Advertisement