Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If's full of mature trees, surrounded by 3 busy roads and unlit. What sports do you suggest could be played there? Especially after dark in the winter months.

How many cars do you expect to be parked there after dark?

A section if it is being used as a car park. Not all of it. I had a look at the final planning docs last night (thanks LeoD). 5 trees are being removed, 5 are being moved to another part of the park, new footpaths are to be installed and the current parking spaces across from Mallow St are to be removed and grassed. Most of the green is going nowhere and will be in a better condition once this development is finished.

The latest plans include a road going through it. The initial plans said 50 spaces and will only be using 10% of the green space, it now has 62 spaces and looks to be way more than 10%

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    How many cars do you expect to be parked there after dark?

That's just a ridiculous question.
    The latest plans include a road going through it. The initial plans said 50 spaces and will only be using 10% of the green space, it now has 62 spaces and looks to be way more than 10%

They don't. There road is not being built. It may happen in the future, but it's not part of this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

steveon wrote: »
    which is closed at 4.30 in winter months and 30 or 40 new children live now beside it with special needs and have now no open green to play in...and I wish people who dont live in the area would stop saying its not used as it is by me and a local football team use it as well for practice as well as the local kids total nonsense.

30 to 40 children with special needs? That is a huge incidence of children with special needs in a relatively small area. Is an unfenced area with three sides of traffic suitable for any children to be playing in especially ball games where they are likely to chase stray footballs? Sounds dangerous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

damowill wrote: »
    If people feel it is under utilized then it could be re-purposed to be a dog park

But once concrete is laid you are never getting your green back....

You've mentioned concrete at least twice in posts and ignored posts saying that there will be a green area retained.

That's just a ridiculous question.

They don't. There road is not being built. It may happen in the future, but it's not part of this development.

Its as ridiculous as the question I quoted you saying!
    If's full of mature trees, surrounded by 3 busy roads and unlit. What sports do you suggest could be played there? Especially after dark in the winter months.

They do, the plans were to take up 10% of the space but now there's a road giving access to the car spaces going through from one side of the space to the other.

• Advertisement

Its as ridiculous as the question I quoted you saying!

I asked what sports could be played there and you replied by asking you asking what cars would be parked there. As I said ridiculous question deflecting from answering the question I asked.
    They do, the plans were to take up 10% of the space but now there's a road giving access to the car spaces going through from one side of the space to the other.

My mistake, I though you were referring the new road from Mallow St. Still though, most of the green space will still exist in an enhanced form and the the parking spaces opposite from Mallow St will be removed and replaced with more green space.

Yeah but the fact is I dont think there'll be many cars parked there after dark in the winter months either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah but the fact is I dont think there'll be many cars parked there after dark in the winter months either.

What relevance has that? Most on street car parking is empty at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

steveon wrote:
    which is closed at 4.30 in winter months and 30 or 40 new children live now beside it with special needs and have now no open green to play in...and I wish people who dont live in the area would stop saying its not used as it is by me and a local football team use it as well for practice as well as the local kids total nonsense.

A local football team practices on the field really never knew that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Steveon no local football team use it for practice. Prospect have their own pitch about 100 metres up Hyde road. Weston Villa have their own pitch next to that called Cal's Park and use the back pitch in Hogan Park as well and Hyde Rangers have their own pitch with a nice club house at the other end of Hyde road. Outside of their own grounds they would train on astro in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Jofspring wrote: »
    Steveon no local football team use it for practice. Prospect have their own pitch about 100 metres up Hyde road. Weston Villa have their own pitch next to that called Cal's Park and use the back pitch in Hogan Park as well and Hyde Rangers have their own pitch with a nice club house at the other end of Hyde road. Outside of their own grounds they would train on astro in the winter.
    Years back Wembley rovers trained along Careys road side!
    That was 15+years ago.
    When i grew up in Fr Russell Sq. the "Big Green" was used heavily by a large number of kids we played football and hurling as well as climbing trees and general banter it was a brilliant facility and a massive part of my youth!
    The first mistake was removing a settled community from the older flats and leaving them derelict for years!
    Now that they have renovated and housed a large number of young familys in the area it has the potential to be used again as the children get older!
    The only reason the Green became unused was because the council destroyed a great community!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Limerick city culture department has moved from No.2 Pery Square and the Civic Trust have been licensed by the council to develop a Little Museum of Limerick in the building, modelled on the very successful Dublin one.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I asked what sports could be played there and you replied by asking you asking what cars would be parked there. As I said ridiculous question deflecting from answering the question I asked.

My mistake, I though you were referring the new road from Mallow St. Still though, most of the green space will still exist in an enhanced form and the the parking spaces opposite from Mallow St will be removed and replaced with more green space.

Concrete table tennis tables. Very common in other cities. No maintenance. Normal street lighting would suffice.

https://www.allabouttabletennis.com/concrete-table-tennis-tables.html

Plenty of space for a caged 5 a side soccer / basketball court. Again, not much maintenance required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

30 to 40 children with special needs? That is a huge incidence of children with special needs in a relatively small area. Is an unfenced area with three sides of traffic suitable for any children to be playing in especially ball games where they are likely to chase stray footballs? Sounds dangerous to me.

i meant 40 new kids to the area some have special needs.... all which were not living here when it was decided to do this ridiclous and uncessary waste of public money rite now nowhere for these kids to play only on a road....

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Years back Wembley rovers trained along Careys road side!
    That was 15+years ago.
    When i grew up in Fr Russell Sq. the "Big Green" was used heavily by a large number of kids we played football and hurling as well as climbing trees and general banter it was a brilliant facility and a massive part of my youth!
    The first mistake was removing a settled community from the older flats and leaving them derelict for years!
    Now that they have renovated and housed a large number of young familys in the area it has the potential to be used again as the children get older!
    The only reason the Green became unused was because the council destroyed a great community!

I agree with everything you said but the final point the area is used and has been used....and this is my point it is now the area that the newly build houses children were using to play, with more new houses and now bourke ave been prepared for construction this is going to bring possibly even more familys to the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Saw Cllr Leddins comments on this today there was a public consultation and no submissions received

kilburn wrote: »
    Saw Cllr Leddins comments on this today there was a public consultation and no submissions received

as nobody in the area knew about it that why....this is what Im saying I live beside it and none of my neighbours knew...the local council st saviors were never consulted I have checked...

the only notice we were given about was davis street at the time and they stuck one sign up the night before which had no mention of anything to do with the green area...so most people didnt attend

I was at the meeting about davis street and say nothing about any car park only mention was a set of traffic lights at the intersection of mallow street and cutting straight through and I lodged a complaint about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/concerns-raised-over-lack-of-construction-outside-dublin-and-cork-899070.html

380 houses built in limerick city and county in the first 9 months of the year.

“Specifically, the relative lack of activity in Waterford and Limerick has been highlighted as a concern by Conor O'Connell, southern regional director of the Construction Industry Federation (CIF).”

I agree with everything you said but the final point the area is used and has been used....and this is my point it is now the area that the newly build houses children were using to play, with more new houses and now bourke ave been prepared for construction this is going to bring possibly even more familys to the area...

And 90% of the green will still be available to the public when the car park is finished, only now it will have footpaths and will be accessible to people. Children already have fantastic facilities in the park.

And before you say it closes at dusk, responsible parents wouldn't allow their children out playing in the dark. Especially not on an area of land between 3 heavily trafficked roads.
    as nobody in the area knew about it that why....this is what Im saying I live beside it and none of my neighbours knew...the local council st saviors were never consulted I have checked...

the only notice we were given about was davis street at the time and they stuck one sign up the night before which had no mention of anything to do with the green area...so most people didnt attend

I was at the meeting about davis street and say nothing about any car park only mention was a set of traffic lights at the intersection of mallow street and cutting straight through and I lodged a complaint about it.

Well they council had the plans available on their website including the car park before the public consultation, so they were publicly available. Just because you weren't aware of them doesn't mean the council didn't do the planning process correctly.

And I'm curious what you mean by 'local council st saviors'. The church has nothing to do with the council. Your local area councillors would have been aware of the plans as they would have voted on the part 8.

And 90% of the green will still be available to the public when the car park is finished, only now it will have footpaths and will be accessible to people. Children already have fantastic facilities in the park.

And before you say it closes at dusk, responsible parents wouldn't allow their children out playing in the dark. Especially not on an area of land between 3 heavily trafficked roads.

Well they council had the plans available on their website including the car park before the public consultation, so they were publicly available. Just because you weren't aware of them doesn't mean the council didn't do the planning process correctly.

And I'm curious what you mean by 'local council st saviors'. The church has nothing to do with the council. Your local area councillors would have been aware of the plans as they would have voted on the part 8.

they stuck up no signs in the area of the proposed planning and redesign and instead of grass for kids to play in they will create another ghetto at night like has been done at the train station. glass all over the place at nite

they never applied for planning to cut the trees over 4m which is part of a planning process..and to say there plans is online is no use to people who dont have the internet as most in the area are elderly and if the local community is also called st saviors and our community hall is now located in edward street after our existing building was also removed from us and demolished and sold to be part of the plaza without our knowledge

• Advertisement

they stuck up no signs in the area of the proposed planning and redesign and instead of grass for kids to play in they will create another ghetto at night like has been done at the train station. glass all over the place at nite

they never applied for planning to cut the trees over 4m which is part of a planning process..and to say there plans is online is no use to people who dont have the internet as most in the area are elderly and if the local community is also called st saviors and our community hall is now located in edward street after our existing building was also removed from us and demolished and sold to be part of the plaza without our knowledge

Firstly how did CIE (not the council) removing the enclosed station car park and replacing it with an open plaza turn the place into a ghetto? Was there loads to do inside the car park at night? That's just a bizarre statement.

You're making a lot of accusations here. Have you any proof of any of them? How do you know they removed the trees without permission? You had no idea they were building the car park, so isn't possible you missed that too?

You also say your community hall was sold out from under you. Who actually owned the hall? Was it on CIE property or did they purchase it form the owner? (Which obviously wasn't St Saviours)

Also are you telling me that not one person in the Hyde Rd area has got internet access? How are you on here debating with me?

And finally. For the umpteenth time. 90% of the green area will still be there after the car park is build!!!!!!!

Firstly how did CIE (not the council) removing the enclosed station car park and replacing it with an open plaza turn the place into a ghetto? Was there loads to do inside the car park at night? That's just a bizarre statement.

You're making a lot of accusations here. Have you any proof of any of them? How do you know they removed the trees without permission? You had no idea they were building the car park, so isn't possible you missed that too?

for planning a sign has to be erected in the location weeks before work is carried out this is the law.

Are there any signs now showing what they are doing on site?? No there isnt....plans on line are no use to the elderly living in the area that had no clue

You also say your community hall was sold out from under you. Who actually owned the hall? Was it on CIE property or did they purchase it form the owner? (Which obviously wasn't St Saviours).

St Saviours Community hall was located between the old petrol station and at the turn where Murphys bar is located in Parnell street which is now CIE car park. It was was build around 25 years ago with funds the locals raised I was around 16 at the time, I went on a sponsored walk with most of the St Josephs Scout Brigade to help fund it, after legal action St Saviours have been provided with a building in Edward street now for the last 2 years beside Clean Ireland offices after the the council unsuccessfully tried to incorporate us with the Our Ladys queen of people committee. This is currently rented by Limerick Council.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lord+Edward+St,+Limerick/@52.656757,-8.6273429,3a,75y,318.59h,65.06t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s9k2TdhzrX4CDCbUZbIvKww!2e0!3e11!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x485b5c7b4c7a7fc3:0x8d70fa5fb138c8e5!8m2!3d52.6537524!4d-8.6307678

They have recently offered St Saviours committee a building further up Edward Street where the new houses were built in the old Tait factory an offer that was turned down as they refused to give the committee full control of the building.

And the Davis street plans are not what was originally shown either so do I believe 90% will still be grass after work is complete no I do not as it is complete nonsense as it wont be you only have to look at the plans to see that.

The car park alone is going to take up more than ten percent let alone the road to get both in and out of the the car park and the many footpaths going through the area plus in time the new road there planning to cut through..

And once again why do we need a carpark when there are already plenty of spaces already there that are not being used in the first place. And once the new bus station is opened a new cark park is going to be build leading onto the roxboro road.. even closer to town and closer to the parnell street development plans

So you're trying to tell me that CIE took the community center without the knowledge or permission of the owners and ye had to take legal action to get a replacement, yet there hasn't been a word of this in the press in the last 4 years? I'm sorry, but I think you're embellishing that story somewhat and twisting a lot of facts.

So you're trying to tell me that CIE took the community center without the knowledge or permission of the owners and ye had to take legal action to get a replacement, yet there hasn't been a word of this in the press in the last 4 years? I'm sorry, but I think you're embellishing that story somewhat and twisting a lot of facts.

come to the community hall then and ask them same thing happened st johns band hall... Compulsory purchased and removed from us and sold.. and now renting us a building ever since..

I would not say it if it wasnt true. I have shown the location of the hall ...so go and ask and see for yourself. We are one of Limericks smallest community's and ignored for a long time, because of a lot of the houses in hyde road were removed and originally earmarked for demolition and most of the residents were moved out of the area the council taught they could simply squish us and join us with other areas as previously stated our lady queen of peace who refused it . This area was continuously asked by various councillers to be turned into a temporary carpark and was turned down by the council

It is only since grants were provided for adult classes etc that the community has started coming together again, doing various plays as well as writing and staring in their own shows in the bell table selling out for 2 nites each year,

This is a good thing and made the council take a little bit more notice... We have tried previously to purchase CIE club but were refused...so please stop telling me what I do and dont know I have stated the facts and if you doubt me check with the committee for yourself.

Ah, so it was CPO'd. It wasn't taken from you without your knowledge as you claimed. That clears that up then, it was hyperbole and twisting of facts.

A CPO is a statutory process, so whether you agree with it or not, it wasn't sold out from under ye. Have a read below.

What are the main steps in the CPO process?

1. Decision by a statutory body to make a CPO
    2. Initial notice will be served on those affected and in the newspaper that the CPO order is to be put on public display and submitted to An Bord Pleanála.
    3. Objections can be made, but valid objections are generally on planning or legal grounds only.
    4. Public Local Enquiry held by An Bord Pleanála at which affected parties can formally put their views.
    5. Decision by An Bord Pleanála to either confirm, amend or reject the CPO order. After expiry of objection period, once approved, the CPO is operative.
    6. ‘Notice to Treat’ issued, inspections and impact assessments undertaken and discussions commence on compensation and accommodation works
    7. ‘Notice of Entry’ may be served prior to compensation being agreed/paid, allowing the authority to enter the land.
    8. Property owner lodges a claim for compensation. This is usually assessed and submitted by the claimants’ CPO representative.
    9. Either agreement is reached between the parties or the matter is referred to the Property Arbitrator to assess compensation.
    10. Acquisition is finalised, compensation paid.

Ah, so it was CPO'd. It wasn't taken from you without your knowledge as you claimed. That clears that up then, it was hyperbole and twisting of facts.

A CPO is a statutory process, so whether you agree with it or not, it wasn't sold out from under ye. Have a read below.

What are the main steps in the CPO process?

1. Decision by a statutory body to make a CPO
    2. Initial notice will be served on those affected and in the newspaper that the CPO order is to be put on public display and submitted to An Bord Pleanála.
    3. Objections can be made, but valid objections are generally on planning or legal grounds only.
    4. Public Local Enquiry held by An Bord Pleanála at which affected parties can formally put their views.
    5. Decision by An Bord Pleanála to either confirm, amend or reject the CPO order. After expiry of objection period, once approved, the CPO is operative.
    6. ‘Notice to Treat’ issued, inspections and impact assessments undertaken and discussions commence on compensation and accommodation works
    7. ‘Notice of Entry’ may be served prior to compensation being agreed/paid, allowing the authority to enter the land.
    8. Property owner lodges a claim for compensation. This is usually assessed and submitted by the claimants’ CPO representative.
    9. Either agreement is reached between the parties or the matter is referred to the Property Arbitrator to assess compensation.
    10. Acquisition is finalised, compensation paid.

Regardless of what a cpo is the facts are as I stated taking away everything that the local community is using without ever consulting anyone here and then claiming nobody has objected ...then build houses in an area and again continued on with removing the only grass area available to the kids they brought to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Regardless of what a cpo is the facts are as I stated taking away everything that the local community is using without ever consulting anyone here and then claiming nobody has objected ...then build houses in an area and again continued on with removing the only grass area available to the kids they brought to the area

That's simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

St Saviours Community hall was located between the old petrol station and at the turn where Murphys bar is located in Parnell street which is now CIE car park. It was was build around 25 years ago with funds the locals raised I was around 16 at the time, I went on a sponsored walk with most of the St Josephs Scout Brigade to help fund it, after legal action St Saviours have been provided with a building in Edward street now for the last 2 years beside Clean Ireland offices after the the council unsuccessfully tried to incorporate us with the Our Ladys queen of people committee. This is currently rented by Limerick Council.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lord+Edward+St,+Limerick/@52.656757,-8.6273429,3a,75y,318.59h,65.06t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s9k2TdhzrX4CDCbUZbIvKww!2e0!3e11!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x485b5c7b4c7a7fc3:0x8d70fa5fb138c8e5!8m2!3d52.6537524!4d-8.6307678

They have recently offered St Saviours committee a building further up Edward Street where the new houses were built in the old Tait factory an offer that was turned down as they refused to give the committee full control of the building.

Is that the old shed that was thrown up against the wall of Murphys? I would say what you are being offered is an improvement.
    Anyway I believe the local committee have a bit of house clearing themselves to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

apc wrote: »

Is that the old shed that was thrown up against the wall of Murphys? I would say what you are being offered is an improvement.
    Anyway I believe the local committee have a bit of house clearing themselves to do
    No it was not FFS It was a stand alone hall located right beside the old corporation yard it was a good few meters in off the road!
    And the fact is CIE had plans to take it in without ever consulting ST.Saviours it was very late in the day St Saviours were told they were being turfed out with nothing set up in its place!
    As a matter of fact the council did not even know that St.Saviours had a 100 year lease on the building!

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    No it was not FFS It was a stand alone hall located right beside the old corporation yard it was a good few meters in off the road!
    And the fact is CIE had plans to take it in without ever consulting ST.Saviours it was very late in the day St Saviours were told they were being turfed out with nothing set up in its place!
    As a matter of fact the council did not even know that St.Saviours had a 100 year lease on the building!

Have a look at the CPO process above. If St Saviours owned the building then they got plenty of notice as the CPO went through the planning process.

Advertisement