Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Yeah, put the jobs of hundreds of Limerick workers and thousands of suppliers at risk. Great idea.

The place is an eyesore and damaging to the image of the city. I think a boycott is a good idea and would hope Dunnes would respond to the public demand rather than making rash decisions.

source wrote: »
    From my reading of the irish times link, it looks like Dunnes are claiming that the vacant site levy was vindictivly applied for as they wouldn't sell to the council, which would be a misuse of the levy.

Certainly how it looks, hopefully the council have some evidence to the contrary, unfortunatly tho this does look like incompetence on the councils behalf. The result could be the site stays off the register.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mdmix wrote: »
    The place is an eyesore and damaging to the image of the city. I think a boycott is a good idea and would hope Dunnes would respond to the public demand rather than making rash decisions.

Boycotting Dunnes Limerick stores would only have an adverse affect Limerick people trying to earn a living and pay their bills. You're very naive if you think that Dunnes, with their history, would bend to such a tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

All this talk about boycotting Dunnes is utter nonsense. The Council effectively went and told Dunnes the game was on, by announcing a regeneration area or any other sort of planning scheme without securing ownership first they gave the properties a notional uplift in value over and above what the property would be worth as part of a CPO scheme.

Boycotting Dunnes Limerick stores would only have an adverse affect Limerick people trying to earn a living and pay their bills. You're very naive if you think that Dunnes, with their history, would bend to such a tactic.

Jeez cookie, you are always so confrontational! I’m farmiliar with Dunnes previous history handling with boycotts and strikes. But this is not a local issue to limerick. There are empty Dunnes sites all over Ireland in town centers so I beleive it is a worthy cause. As any potential boycott has the prospect to catch nationally I would hope that this would force Dunnes hand, especially as now is a great time to sell property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

From my reading of the irish times link, it looks like Dunnes are claiming that the vacant site levy was vindictivly applied for as they wouldn't sell to the council, which would be a misuse of the levy.

I can't imagine they'll get too far with that argument. The Vacant Sites levy is only a recent thing, and the Council has only issued its first list. They were required by law to compile a register of vacant sites and this was clearly one of them. That the Council had offered to purchase the site previously is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Even if it was bought by the Council it would in all probability be still standing there for the next 20 years before anything will happen with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The accusation can/will be levelled at the council either way:

1. Attempt to buy. Subsequently declare site vacant.
    -> You only declared it vacant because we won't sell it to you

2. Declare site vacant. Subsequently attempt to buy.
    -> You declared the site vacant so you could buy it cheaper.

The court basically saying 'hold off on collecting the levy until we figure this out' doesn't seem like a big deal.

Dunnes are basically trying to argue that the Council are either incapable of accurately assessing sites they want to buy, or that the Council are incapable of honestly assessing sites they want to buy. They should and presumably will ultimately be told to **** off.

mdmix wrote: »
    Jeez cookie, you are always so confrontational! I’m farmiliar with Dunnes previous history handling with boycotts and strikes. But this is not a local issue to limerick. There are empty Dunnes sites all over Ireland in town centers so I beleive it is a worthy cause. As any potential boycott has the prospect to catch nationally I would hope that this would force Dunnes hand, especially as now is a great time to sell property.

Disagreeing with you is not being confrontational. My post was in no way aggressive.

At the end of the day, outside of a few of us on here and a couple of other places, the majority of people don't care about that Dunnes is leaving the site vacant. They may comment on it, but they won't be changing their shopping habits over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Post on live 95fm saying cleeves is set to be developed into 2000 seater convention centre? Is 2k playing it a bit safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »
    Post on live 95fm saying cleeves is set to be developed into 2000 seater convention centre? Is 2k playing it a bit safe?

Is it not saying that Tony Brazil thinks it would be a suitable place for a potential conference centre?

Disagreeing with you is not being confrontational. My post was in no way aggressive.

Not aggressive, but calling someone naive is confrontational and condescending. You may agree or disagree but that’s all I have to say on that.
    At the end of the day, outside of a few of us on here and a couple of other places, the majority of people don't care about that Dunnes is leaving the site vacant. They may comment on it, but they won't be changing their shopping habits over it.

While I would agree that people are generally apathetic about these things, Dunnes don’t have any unique selling points and there is no reason people need Dunnes. It’s also so easy for people to shop elsewhere (and probably cheaper) that a boycott could catch on.

Just spotted this on the council website re the bike scheme.

Statement regarding the Limerick Bike Share Scheme
    22 January 2019

Coke Zero Bikes

Any correspondence that Limerick City and County Council has on the city’s Bike Share Scheme is directed to the appropriate office - the National Transport Authority, which oversees the scheme and not the Department of Tourism, Transport and Sport.

Limerick City and County Council has regular meetings with the NTA regarding sustainable transport initiatives in Limerick including the Bike Share Scheme where we seek updates on any proposed changes and improvements, as well as inform the NTA on decisions made by councillors.

Delays in proceeding with the proposed upgrades to the existing bike infrastructure and extending the scheme have unfortunately arose due to problems in the provision of parts, which have been out of the control of the local authority. This has not just been a matter for Limerick.

Limerick City and County Council has been assured that these issues have now been resolved and that docking stations including at King John’s Castle, Colbert Station, High Road and LIT will be operational this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

22 January 2019

Coke Zero Bikes

Any correspondence that Limerick City and County Council has on the city’s Bike Share Scheme is directed to the appropriate office - the National Transport Authority, which oversees the scheme and not the Department of Tourism, Transport and Sport.

Limerick City and County Council has regular meetings with the NTA regarding sustainable transport initiatives in Limerick including the Bike Share Scheme where we seek updates on any proposed changes and improvements, as well as inform the NTA on decisions made by councillors.

Delays in proceeding with the proposed upgrades to the existing bike infrastructure and extending the scheme have unfortunately arose due to problems in the provision of parts, which have been out of the control of the local authority. This has not just been a matter for Limerick.

Limerick City and County Council has been assured that these issues have now been resolved and that docking stations including at King John’s Castle, Colbert Station, High Road and LIT will be operational this year.

Just curious as to where High Road is. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

mart 23 wrote: »
    Just curious as to where High Road is. ?

Thomondgate, runs from Jack Monday's to Treaty Vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Anything further on the cleeves site? Are there any plans floating about? Regarding the 2k capacity i think it may be justified if they are to build a mix of other things like residential, commercial etc with it, better use of the space

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Is it not saying that Tony Brazil thinks it would be a suitable place for a potential conference centre?

ya Tony Brazil is recommending this for it use. i dont believe the Council have laid out their plans yet afaik. However I think a Convention Centre would put the place to good use, somewhere for conferences, large events, exhibitions, festivals, etc. Attracting these is another thing tho ..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wonder what they can do with road/public transport infrastructure for Cleeves, maybe widen the existing Shannon Bridge to four lane traffic with a slip road to Cleeves/O'Callaghan Strand and install cycle lanes but that might mean moving St Michael's Boat Club or building over it.

I think they should look at installing a pedestian/cycling bridge over the Shannon from near Lwr Cecil St towards Cleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Interesting article in the Post about the dramatic increase in spending in Limerick by US visitors particularly. This is evident in many outlets. Can only add to Limericks momentum. Still not recognised by so many people outside the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

22 January 2019

Coke Zero Bikes

Interesting that the Council issued a press release on this. I do not understand why they are defending An Roher Nua's track record on this.

An Roher Nua have been 2.5 years sourcing parts for those stations. Back in 2015, they cited high levels of vandalism in Limerick as the reason for closing down stations. Now they are saying it's due to inability to sourcing parts. Anyone who does a small bit of digging into them will know these are not the reasons for the delay. I was told a year ago by the NTA that these issues had been resolved and the station would be in place by April 2018 :rolleyes: The inadequacy continues........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

UL will have a city centre campus before a bike station opens in Plassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

panda100 wrote: »
    Interesting that the Council issued a press release on this. I do not understand why they are defending An Roher Nua's track record on this.

An Roher Nua have been 2.5 years sourcing parts for those stations. Back in 2015, they cited high levels of vandalism in Limerick as the reason for closing down stations. Now they are saying it's due to inability to sourcing parts. Anyone who does a small bit of digging into them will know these are not the reasons for the delay. I was told a year ago by the NTA that these issues had been resolved and the station would be in place by April 2018 :rolleyes: The inadequacy continues........

have they fixed the one at the taits clock at the end of davis street been broken for months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

steveon wrote: »
    have they fixed the one at the taits clock at the end of davis street been broken for months?

Nope, Baker Place still out of action. The Council missed that one out from their press release. An Roher Nua have probably forgotten about it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

panda100 wrote: »
    Nope, Baker Place still out of action. The Council missed that one out from their press release. An Roher Nua have probably forgotten about it also.

Have a feeling it wasn't somehow :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Has there been much vandalism of the bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

mart 23 wrote:
    Even if it was bought by the Council it would in all probability be still standing there for the next 20 years before anything will happen with it.

The building itself is defective with major structural issues caused by water ingress so demolition is probably the only realistic option. It's a dreadful location in any case, dreary and freezing cold all year round so it would be difficult to entice members of the public to visit whatever attraction may be sited there or convince another major retailer to move in.
    How about another car park?

chicorytip wrote: »
    The building itself is defective with major structural issues caused by water ingress so demolition is probably the only realistic option. It's a dreadful location in any case, dreary and freezing cold all year round so it would be difficult to entice members of the public to visit whatever attraction may be sited there or convince another major retailer to move in.

Yeah, cause members of the public never go anywhere near or sit outside Milanos or House or visit Authurs Quay Park.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yeah, cause members of the public never go anywhere near or sit outside Milanos or House or visit Authurs Quay Park.......

Who visits Arthurs Quay park other than during the Christmas period when the ice rink is located there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Who visits Arthurs Quay park other than during the Christmas period when the ice rink is located there?

Lots of people. Myself included. I jog through it frequently. It could be reconfigured for sure, but I would not agree with the notion that it is not used. It has quite a high footfall as parks go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

It's a dreadful location in any case, dreary and freezing cold all year round so it would be difficult to entice members of the public to visit whatever attraction may be sited there or convince another major retailer to move in.

Its a dreadful location alright with dreary views just like this one:

shan-620x400.jpg

Advertisement