Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

chicorytip wrote: »
    Who visits Arthurs Quay park other than during the Christmas period when the ice rink is located there?

That’s normally the only time I don’t go near Arthur’s Quay! It’s a good spot for lunch when the weather is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I started a speakers corner in Arthur's Quay last year which we did for a year but it was really difficult to hear people! It's not a very pleasant place to sit and relax as there are 3 lanes of traffic and cars streaming by which can be very loud. It's also not the most attractive setting and could do with more greenery. The council at a minimum should close this area to traffic at Riverfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Good article in today Irish Independent on Limerick Film Studio
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/hollywood-come-to-limerick-i-think-over-the-next-five-years-well-create-an-enormous-film-community-here-37764993.html
    I have noted that the Independent has a had a number of very positive articles on Limerick City over the last year... as an attractive tourist destination etc but meanwhile the Irish Times NEVER feature the city, whereas as for the Times and Galway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see Cllr Sean Lynch is calling for a Coke Zero bike station in Patrickswell. Can’t even get the ones in town to work. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I see Cllr Sean Lynch is calling for a Coke Zero bike station in Patrickswell. Can’t even get the ones in town to work. The mind boggles.

he also said that patrickswell is part of the metropolitan area, any idea when this happened? curious to see if there is a metropolitan map available anywhere? i cant seem to find one in date

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mdmix wrote: »
    he also said that patrickswell is part of the metropolitan area, any idea when this happened? curious to see if there is a metropolitan map available anywhere? i cant seem to find one in date

It happened 7 years ago when the two councils were amalgamated. https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/your-council/voting-and-elections/maps

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is a Limerick metropolitan transport strategy on the way from the NTA so we'll see then if Patrickswell is included. I'd imagine it will

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Glenomra wrote: »
    Good article in today Irish Independent on Limerick Film Studio
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/hollywood-come-to-limerick-i-think-over-the-next-five-years-well-create-an-enormous-film-community-here-37764993.html
    I have noted that the Independent has a had a number of very positive articles on Limerick City over the last year... as an attractive tourist destination etc but meanwhile the Irish Times NEVER feature the city, whereas as for the Times and Galway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Times must be more expensive to advertise in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

marno21 wrote: »
    There is a Limerick metropolitan transport strategy on the way from the NTA so we'll see then if Patrickswell is included. I'd imagine it will

Could definitely be considering the rail link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

He’s just trying to sound like he’s interested and up to date
    I can all the candidates jumping on the bike scheme around election time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mc Love wrote: »
    Could definitely be considering the rail link.

The only thing I've seen to be mentioned is Ballysimon-Boher dual carriageway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wow so they'd extend that road out as far as Boher, thats interesting

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wow so they'd extend that road out as far as Boher, thats interesting

Yeah it's part of the suspended Ballysimon-Pallasgreen scheme but only Ballysimon-Boher is flagged for this side of 2030.

Oola-Waterford is also being progressed now so it'll be only Boher-Oola that'll be single carriageway by 2030 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Paddico

The building itself is defective with major structural issues caused by water ingress so demolition is probably the only realistic option. It's a dreadful location in any case, dreary and freezing cold all year round so it would be difficult to entice members of the public to visit whatever attraction may be sited there or convince another major retailer to move in.
    How about another car park?

Wow, inspirational stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

The building itself is defective with major structural issues caused by water ingress so demolition is probably the only realistic option. It's a dreadful location in any case, dreary and freezing cold all year round so it would be difficult to entice members of the public to visit whatever attraction may be sited there or convince another major retailer to move in.
    How about another car park?

A car park is about the only thing worse than it’s current state I can think of!!

Look at the lexicon library in Dublin for example, similar location with views over the bay.
    Brought the kids there last year for a day... amazing place... people working away on their laptops... people all ages reading whatever they fancied while enjoying the views, cafe downstairs.
    We were there as there was a show being hosted the kids wanted to see(incidentally by a limerick bloke!)

Here it is... anything but dreary!!

https://goo.gl/images/m8gsV2

Marty.

Agree. The Lexicon is an unreal building. Always worth a trip when in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Have to say and without having been inside, the gardens international development looks great. Really have done a nice job on those buildings imo. More of that needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

tototoe wrote: »
    Have to say and without having been inside, the gardens international development looks great. Really have done a nice job on those buildings imo. More of that needed.

Fine job - two issues that I have with it are:

The stone cladding at the archway looks a bit cheap or lacks appeal at least
    The pavement outside the building on Henry St, they should have made it wider.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

phog wrote: »
    Fine job - two issues that I have with it are:

The stone cladding at the archway looks a bit cheap or lacks appeal at least
    The pavement outside the building on Henry St, they should have made it wider.

That cladding does look cheap alright
    Just to fill it with jobs now and also places for workers to live

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Anyone got better update on the projects currently in development or proposed projects:

Gardens International - Complete early 2019
    Bishops Quay Rudi Butler Development - PP Approved
    Opera Centre - PP to be submitted in 2019
    Cleeves - Intended use still not defined
    Parkway Valley Horizon Mall - No start date, PP 2019, 2020 projected start date
    Hawthorn House (Hamilton hse 4) - Should be complete mid 2019
    IDA Ireland manufacturing centre €10m - PP due feb
    IDA Demo Block - Almost complete
    Edward Lifesciences - Plassey - ?
    City east (northern trust) - proposed phase 4&5

Punches Cross Apartment Complex Development - Requires further consideration/amendment is the latest update from the ABP site.
    Clarion Suites - Can open as hotel + Planning to be converted to apartments
    Strand Hotel - PP approved for additional floor north building
    Savoy hotel expansion - PP approved. start 2019?

O' Connell street upgrade - Design stage. Awaiting Limerick Transport Strategy
    Kings Island Flood defences -
    Waterfront -
    Footbridge Bishops Quay - ??
    Living Georgian City Programme -
    Digital Collaboration Centre (DCC) - Cecil Street - Funding approved.
    Rugby museuem - O'Connell street - PP approved. start 2019
    Limerick city Docklands project -

Southside Master Plan - early discussions

Phase 1 Coonagh to Knockalisheen Distributor Road - 2019/2020
    LNDR - ???
    M21 Limerick to Foynes Motorway (Adare bypass) - environmental impact assessment stage => Submission to An Bord Pleanala in Q2 2019
    M20 Limerick to Cork Motroway - Consultation phase - (possible submission An Bord Pleanala likely in late 2022)

UL - City Centre bus coridor - Awaiting Limerick Transport Strategy
    Limerick Bike Share Scheme expansion - ??? Panda might know

LTS - Limerick Transport Strategy - due 2019

LIT Expansion Plan - work started at Coonagh site
    Schools - Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh school, Castletroy / Bloodmill road

• Advertisement

M21 is currently having its environmental impact assessment finalised before submission to An Bord Pleanala in Q2 2019. Then once approved, it'll be approx 3 years before construction start. My guess is a 2023 start and a 2026 opening.

M20 is having consultants appointed for planning + design with An Bord Pleanala submission likely in late 2022 based on current project trends. Meaning a likely 2025 start and a 2028 opening.

Of course, when those dates are that far out it's difficult to predict accurately, but they are indicative.

Punches Cross Apartment Complex Development - Requires further consideration/amendment is the latest update from the ABP site.

The IDA are nearly finished the Demo block at the front entrance of the technology park (across from j&j)

City east (northern trust) have a proposed phase 4&5, no details available on either. I suppose if the cranes come down we will know about it.

The old clarion suites is sold to a local developer and can either reopen as a new hotel or also has approved planning to be converted to apartments

The strand hotel also applied to build an extra floor on their north building, not sure if approved

The IDA are nearly finished the Demo block at the front entrance of the technology park (across from j&j)

City east (northern trust) have a proposed phase 4&5, no details available on either. I suppose if the cranes come down we will know about it.

The old clarion suites is sold to a local developer and can either reopen as a new hotel or also has approved planning to be converted to apartments

The strand hotel also applied to build an extra floor on their north building, not sure if approved

One of the cranes is gone from City East. Just the one next to the road left.
    And the Strand got PP for the extra floor.

One of the cranes is gone from City East. Just the one next to the road left.
    And the Strand got PP for the extra floor.

i dont drive that way that often any more so didnt realize, is it gone long?

i dont drive that way that often any more so didnt realize, is it gone long?

I'm not sure how long it's gone, but I only noticed it this week, so it can't be that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

To add to the list

Limerick Bus Station

Limerick Prison

mart 23 wrote: »
    To add to the list

Limerick Bus Station

Limerick Prison

Nothing more happening anytime soon with the bus station move from what I've heard.

Is the prison not already finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Nothing more happening anytime soon with the bus station move from what I've heard.

Is the prison not already finished?

No phase 2 new women's prison to be built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Just read that Southern Region of Ireland, limerick-cork-waterford , the third wealthiest in Europe. Astounding. Wonder will the Dublin media highlight that. Hardly in keeping with the accepted narrative.

Advertisement