Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    These are primary school children being supervised crossing the bridge by adults. It is a very positive initiative. I think you should cut them some slack.

I actually agree with the initiative but I have concerns about how those children being supervised/coached.

I raised the concern with the organisers and was told blatant mis-truths and some of those mis-truths are being spouted here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

phog wrote: »
    I actually agree with the initiative but I have concerns about how those children being supervised/coached.

I raised the concern with the organisers and was told blatant mis-truths and some of those mis-truths are being spouted here as well.

What are your concerns and what are the mis-truths?

What are your concerns

That the children are being thought to cycle in a manner which are against the RotR
    what are the mis-truths

The the cycle bus merge into the right hand lane before crossing and that they dismount when using the crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

That the children are being thought to cycle in a manner which are against the RotR

The the cycle bus merge into the right hand lane before crossing and that they dismount when using the crossing

If they were to follow the ROTR to the tee it would mean tackling that roundabout with young kids. I wouldn’t deem that as safe with young kids. They are making the best of a bad situation which will hopefully highlight the inadequacies of the bridge for those who choose to cycle, and may lead to some action re infrastructure.

The motorists on the bridge see the initiative and cut them some slack(not something I’ve ever experienced so the numbers game obviously works) ... they merge into the RH lane just before the crossing, which they are allowed to do, and they stop the traffic momentarily to use the crossing. Whether they dismount or not really shouldn’t matter but I guess if it’s running smoothly it probably causes less delays for everyone by not dismounting. It’s early days and they are just finding their feet.
    I’m sure they are open to other ideas/routes, tweaks etc. but they have to cross the bridge and I really don’t see going out the dock road as an option.
    They go in behind the clarion BTW on the boardwalk and up ocurry street.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Reading the last few pages has reminded me of this 2016 tweet from GardaTraffic re the roundabout at Shannon Bridge:

“23 FCPN issued in 1/2 hour!!. failing to turn left at roundabout as indicated on road markings.1 point and e60 fine“

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/695015697919950850?s=21

• Advertisement

martyc5674 wrote: »
    If they were to follow the ROTR to the tee it would mean tackling that roundabout with young kids. I wouldn’t deem that as safe with young kids. They are making the best of a bad situation which will hopefully highlight the inadequacies of the bridge for those who choose to cycle, and may lead to some action re infrastructure.

The motorists on the bridge see the initiative and cut them some slack(not something I’ve ever experienced so the numbers game obviously works) ... they merge into the RH lane just before the crossing, which they are allowed to do, and they stop the traffic momentarily to use the crossing. Whether they dismount or not really shouldn’t matter but I guess if it’s running smoothly it probably causes less delays for everyone by not dismounting. It’s early days and they are just finding their feet.
    I’m sure they are open to other ideas/routes, tweaks etc. but they have to cross the bridge and I really don’t see going out the dock road as an option.
    They go in behind the clarion BTW on the boardwalk and up ocurry street.

I don't know what you mean by merge.

What I've seen them do is stop the traffic in left and the right lanes and the cycle across the pedestrian crossing.

That cannot in any way be classed as merging with traffic on the right lane

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Reading the last few pages has reminded me of this 2016 tweet from GardaTraffic re the roundabout at Shannon Bridge:

“23 FCPN issued in 1/2 hour!!. failing to turn left at roundabout as indicated on road markings.1 point and e60 fine“

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/695015697919950850?s=21

Hardly the minority phog

• Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jaysis, I have to say - I often go straight there too since the queue on the right-hand-side can be so long coming down from Henry Street.

As an aside - Are the cameras at the Henry Street junction Red-Light cameras?

1yc87F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

No, they’re Garda cameras. Used for traffic, crime, etc

Mc Love wrote: »
    Hardly the minority phog

That's a different direction and you claimed the cops didn't patrol the junction now you use their prosecutions to try another angle to back up your incorrect claim. :rolleyes:

BTW, my offer still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I live beside the Model school and the behaviour from parents there is absolutely shocking. Kids are taught dangerous driving behaviour, parking illegally, total disregard for any rules of the road. I'd wager that the children being brought to school in cars are exposed to a lot more illegal and dangerous driving practices daily than the bunch of kids that are cycling. What would you recommend for the issue with the Model school?

That's a different direction and you claimed the cops didn't patrol the junction now you use their prosecutions to try another angle to back up your incorrect claim. :rolleyes:

BTW, my offer still stands.

Check my post - I did state I've seen them there once, there's every chance that they have been there outside of the times I pass it.

It's still people using the wrong lane tbh.

panda100 wrote: »
    I live beside the Model school and the behaviour from parents there is absolutely shocking. Kids are taught dangerous driving behaviour, parking illegally, total disregard for any rules of the road. I'd wager that the children being brought to school in cars are exposed to a lot more illegal and dangerous driving practices daily than the bunch of kids that are cycling. What would you recommend for the issue with the Model school?

Why are you posing this question/query to me? I have no say in how traffic is managed in this city.

Check my post - I did state I've seen them there once, there's every chance that they have been there outside of the times I pass it.

It's still people using the wrong lane tbh.

Offer still stands

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Gardens was officially opened today and in the press release was the news that the planning application for the Opera site will be submitted this week.

Looking ahead to next steps in the Limerick Twenty Thirty programme, Mr Murray stated: “With Gardens now complete and heading fast for full occupancy, we move onto the Opera site. This week Limerick City and County Council will lodge a planning application on behalf of Limerick Twenty Thirty for Opera

They've had the Opera site for only seven years. It's amazing how quickly they can get things done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Did I hear the rumour UL are getting involved in the Opera centre

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

They've had the Opera site for only seven years. It's amazing how quickly they can get things done.
    Pace of development is way too slow. Just watch, they won't start Cleeves until the Opera is finished. This is what happens when the local authority starts buying up all the key sites in the city. If Limerick was genuinely prosperous there would be cranes dotted all over the city with private developers playing their part. Like in most major UK cities. Instead what we get in Limerick is super slow development and bags of PR fluff :rolleyes:

Townie_P wrote: »
    Pace of development is way too slow. Just watch, they won't start Cleeves until the Opera is finished. This is what happens when the local authority starts buying up all the key sites in the city. If Limerick was genuinely prosperous there would be cranes dotted all over the city with private developers playing their part. Like in most major UK cities. Instead what we get in Limerick is super slow development and bags of PR fluff :rolleyes:

Did the council start buying those locations or were they the last resort. I mean what developer lost out in buying any of those locations because the council purchased them.

We seem to call on the council to buy anything that's lying idle but moan when they purchase them or if there's a delay in developing on the site.

Great to see Hanging Gardens officially opened but still no news on tenants apart from Nordic AC. The council clearly didn’t get much value for money from the letting agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Townie_P wrote: »

where are the private investors prepared to invest in Limerick. Apart from J. P. Mac Manus, I am not aware of any other private concern developing a project in Limerick City. one group got planning for a project on the quays but I haven't heard a dickie bird since. Just look at what the private developers did to Limerick City. Suneil Sharma bought out virtually all Rutland\Patrick\Ellen streets, vibrant streets, and the site was left derelict. The developer of the Garden Site left it derelictished. As for the unfinished Castletroy site, an unbelievable eyesore. Only for the city council getting Denis Brosnahan etc involved we would have a ghettoized city. Now we have the garden site finished and the Opera Centre funded and going for planning. It might be slower than we would like but the fact is that without the city council becoming involved the city was finished.

There's moaning on another thread because JP has an interest in a development in the city, there's moaning here because the LA rather than developers have an interest in vacant sites.

It looks like Limerick people like a good moan.

There's moaning on another thread because JP has an interest in a development in the city, there's moaning here because the LA rather than developers have an interest in vacant sites.

Definitely especially if they're jealous of JP or dont like Rugby/Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

i think people are quite rightly upset as the LA does things on a whim without any plan or strategy. time and time again officials have referred to the "limerick 2030 strategic plan" in PR and in submissions to national and regional planning documents. the problem with the limerick 2030 strategic plan is it does not exist! can you blame people for being upset and moaning when no-one has any idea whats going on? there is no retail strategy, no housing strategy and no transport strategy for the city center. while some of these are in development now, does anyone think it would be reasonable to spend millions on development sites without any overall city plan?

Definitely especially if they're jealous of JP or dont like Rugby/Sports

Not jealous of JP and don’t dislike rugby/sports but do think it’s gonna be a white elephant.

phog wrote:
    It looks like Limerick people like a good moan. There's moaning on another thread because JP has an interest in a development in the city, there's moaning here because the LA rather than developers have an interest in vacant sites.

Would you put yourself in the category of people who like a good moan?

Not jealous of JP and don’t dislike rugby/sports but do think it’s gonna be a white elephant.

I do too shhhh :eek:

Would you put yourself in the category of people who like a good moan?

I'd guess I'd find far more moany posts on here from you than I would from myself :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I'd guess I'd find far more moany posts on here from you than I would from myself :cool:

There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. There's too much apathy in Limerick when it comes to council inaction and failure for example. I presume we all want the city to improve? There hasn't been anywhere near enough progress in that regard over the past 5 years. Sickening backslapping PR horse**** doesn't constitute progress!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I see that the Curragower House redevelopment on Clancy Strand has gotten planning permission. Strangely enough, for all the publicity the plans received last summer, there seems to only have been 2 objections, both from neighbours.

Advertisement